News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Topic Starter Icon Next to the Name?

Started by Saku, January 13, 2011, 09:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylie

How about just making it a feature in the Intro threads...  If it isn't too much trouble?

Beguile's Mistress

To tell you the truth, unless I look for it I don't even notice it now.  It's a very easy thing to get accustomed to and I really don't see a problem with it. 

This starting to remind me of a Shakespeare play:  "Much Ado about Nothing."

kylie

Gee, thanks.  How would you feel if I said that about something that rather nags you

I still haven't heard many arguments for it being particularly useful outside the Introductions.  Apart from someone liking the attention, which easily reverses into some people not wanting the distinction in an ongoing form. 

I also find it a little difficult to believe that something right next to the name is not going to draw notice -- but maybe it's just me.

Trieste

Okay, okay. This is not the politics board, so that's not cool. Breathe.

I've noticed that if you have Firefox and the Adblock plus add-on, you can block the image. This allows you to go on about your business and never have to see it again. So there are ways around it; however, I find it useful in the politics board, myself.

Star Safyre

I approve of the new star icon.  Are we sure we can't make it blue?   ;D
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Lord Drake

Personally I find it useful in all long threads. While I usually go read the first post of every thread I open, it is a nice thing to have an eye-friendly something that keeps my attention on the thread opener if I want it.

That is just me, though.
Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton

Silverfyre

I think it works out rather nicely for all the boards personally.  When looking through the group games and what not, it really helps to find who is the GM of said game.  I say we keep it as it is.  It's hardly noticeable and I think raising hell about it is just nitpicking.  My 2 cents.

Observing Trifles

I can see how a small icon to point out the topic starter would be helpful to some people, especially in threads that are miles long and for group games so that people can find their GM's, as Silverfyre pointed out. Personally, I don't mind it, and the star is small enough (in comparison to the slightly bulky pencil icon that preceded it) that it's not intrusive. At least to me.
|| the hunt ||

my, my, those eyes like fire;
i'm a winged insect, you're a funeral pyre.
come now, bite through these wires;
i'm a waking hell and the gods grow tired.

Saku

I love the new icon star thing! xDD It's pretty and doesn't look messy at all! Thanks Veks!
I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."
Ons/Offs! vs Updates! vs Requests

DarklingAlice

Ditto on the star design. I think it is quite nice and somehow much more unobtrusive than the pencil. I really think that this is going to be quite helpful in multiple places on the site.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Star Safyre

It's... blue!   :o

What a cute little sapphire star!  Love it, love it, love it!   ;D
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Oreo

Much easier to see now that it is blue. It also blends well with the other blues on the site. Thanks ; )

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Izu

*mumbles under my nose* the golden one looked better *mumbles* >.>

^^;

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Mithlomwen

Veks, you are just awesome. 

'Nuff said. 

*hugs* 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Endorphin

I think the icon is a fantastic idea. I can see it being particularly useful in the intro threads, recruitment threads and anywhere someone is asking for feedback on something and responding to multiple people.
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Saku

Quote from: Mithlomwen on January 18, 2011, 07:14:00 AM
Veks, you are just awesome.
'Nuff said.
*hugs*

Yes. I agree. ^^ The blue star shows up better, I can see it easily now. And I love this compared with the pencil icon which looked messy and way too big next to the name. xD
I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."
Ons/Offs! vs Updates! vs Requests

Nadir

Oh, I like it very much! It's like being told you're superawesome each time you post. Especially when it's threads that only I post in.

The only way to improve it would be to give it an afro.

Wolfy

:/ Did Elliquiy get in a fight with Lucky charms or something? Why are these symbols showing up? lol

Trieste

Merged because the question would have been answered if you had read the topic only three topics down from yours.