Shadowrun Online! [5th edition]

Started by undisclosedtoyou, November 07, 2014, 07:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

Let me give them a gander.  Riggers are pretty cost intensive. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ReijiTabibito

Not in 20th they weren't!  Plus, in 20th you could take an Adept and make them a pretty decent rigger.  Not so much here.  I do suppose you have the cost of your drones/vehicles, but you could get a pretty tricked-out vehicle in 20th for just a handful of BP.

Muse

True that.  I once did a dwarf mage who kept both fly spies and watcher spirits handy. 

On the other hand, alphaware is onlly a 20% price upgrade.  For example: 
106,700NY:
   Alphaware SIMrig Rating II
   Essence Cost: 1.8
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ReijiTabibito

Alphaware was always a 20% price upgrade.  And yes, I did the same thing you did - Control Rig II, Alphaware.  Problem is, at Priority C Resources, that's 75% of my total nuyen.  Three-quarters for one thing, and I haven't even touched vehicles yet...plus, I think Riggers also need that Rigger Control Console thing, and that seems pretty pricey.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Muse on November 09, 2014, 05:17:44 PM
I think this will be J.T.'s Avatar.  (Maybe her street name iwll be Black Cherry.)

https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/d/da/Shadowrun_elf_by_sirtiefling-d7fx87x.jpg

I lurve her appearance!

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on November 09, 2014, 05:24:18 PM
Muse:Also added a bit more detail on the appearance thing and how it is addressed and mapped in the spoiler below.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Also Muse the way the gear that connects you to the game scans your body and with the second season and differing races that exist in the second season game handles  your appearance being added to the race template. Even when males select to play female characters or Females Males it still scans your appearance to add to the characters appearance.

Undisclosed: I had interest in a street Samurai but I do not have a problem with more the one there is always enough variation to be had in archetypes. Besides then I wont be the only tank in the group.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Mhm, after they got out of sword art online, it seemed as if the nerve gear, all the generations, scanned your body to take elements of your physical appearance and add to your avatar.  But in the first epi of the first season, they initially created an avatar to whichever specifics they wanted.  I'm just going with that, since I don't really see a need to make people's avatars match up with their physical bodies.

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 09, 2014, 05:20:36 PM
I have.  I grew up on 3rd, but 4th/20th Anniversary is probably my favorite because it let you tailor-make your characters to a degree that's rather difficult with the Priority System.  Example.  My character's A priority is probably going to be Skills - which means I get 46 Skill Points, and 10 Skill Group Points.  That's a lot, and meant for characters that need a lot of skills like Deckers.  Here's the thing - I think it's too much.  I have little doubt that I'll be able to use up the 10 Skill Group Points, but 46 points in skills besides those?  I could downgrade Skills to Priority B, but then I drop to 36 Skill Points and 5 Skill Group Points.  Still enough for a decker (invest most if not all into Electronics Skill Group)...but just on the edge.  Right now, I'm having an internal war over whether or not Resources or Attributes is going to occupy Priority B (C is whichever one isn't B, D is Metatype, and E is Magic/Resonance, since I'm a Mundy).

Priority B in Attributes gives me 20, which lets me boost up half my Attributes to Rating 4, as opposed to Priority B, whose 16 points would mean I'd be average across the board.  However, there's a 135,000 nuyen difference between Resources Priorities B & C, which is enough to pay for a higher-level cyberdeck.  Level C would mean I'm probably picking up an Azteca 200 deck, but Level B means I could get a Novatech Navigator or even a Renraku Tsurugi if I conserve elsewhere enough.

In 20th, I could easily work around this problem by just calculating however much BP I needed for my Gear/Skills, and then going accordingly.  With the Priority System...

Yeah, from what I've read, people either like the differences that 5e brings, or they don't.  But either way, I'm glad to see that you're putting so much thought into your character creation.

"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on November 09, 2014, 05:55:00 PM
Yeah, from what I've read, people either like the differences that 5e brings, or they don't.  But either way, I'm glad to see that you're putting so much thought into your character creation.

Don't get me wrong, there's things I loved about all the SR systems I've tried out.  SR3 had the Pools, which were free dice you could use that replenished with every round in combat.  Problem with SR3 was that decking was basically sitting in a room running Overwatch while the rest of your team braved bullets & blood.

SR4 has an enormous amount of customization, and a fair number of exploitable loopholes - can you say Sensitive System, children - that hasn't been matched by any other addition.  Problem with that one was that if you wanted to play a Mage or a Technomancer, it got really expensive to do so, really quickly, since you had to buy your Magic Rating (Whereas in SR 3 & 5 it was provided to you), and Technomancy was especially bad due to the cost of Complex Forms.  Now, the longer you played a Technomantic character, the more absurdly powerful they became - long-game Technos could pretty much stomp anything in the Matrix flat.

SR5 dealt with a lot of the issues of the previous generations...for both good and bad.  Good is that being a Techno or a Mage isn't insanely costly at start anymore, and Deckers can now travel and help out with the team.  Bad is that they closed a lot of those juicy loopholes in SR4, and they instituted limits on how well you can succeed at a test (thus artificially inflating the need for Edge).

undisclosedtoyou

I edited out the reason I put for liking the SR setting, because I put down something that's pretty common in most tabletop games, lmao.  But yeah, I'm liking what I'm reading, so far, in this edition.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Muse

Is it?  I'm used to Alphaware costing x2? 

I'm not sure about the control console but if you're gong to do a priority three resouces rigger, start at rating one and upgrade later.

ReijiTabibito

That was back in SR3, but I'm pretty sure Catalyst changed it when they took over from FASA.

undisclosedtoyou

I'm reading the core book now, but didn't 5e change to wireless?  I'm still seeing Deckers being called Deckers, but I've seen references to them being called hackers now to.  Do we all have a preference on what they're called?
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

ReijiTabibito

20th/SR4 made the changeover from wired to wireless for computers, and SR5 preserved it.  They were called Hackers in SR4 because it did away with the iconic item of the computer-savvy runner, the cyberdeck.  SR5 brought back Decks with a vengeance, and so they're called Deckers again.

Muse

Does anyone have hang ups about playing with a seventeen year old character? 

(Will, of course, make an effort to ensure all associated images are 18+). 

ReijiTabibito

No.  Quick question for the more used to SR5?  How do the attributes of your Deck affect your personal attributes?  An example, the Hack on the Fly actions says the Dicepool is Hacking + Logic [Sleaze].  Interpretation, please?

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 09, 2014, 06:42:27 PM
20th/SR4 made the changeover from wired to wireless for computers, and SR5 preserved it.  They were called Hackers in SR4 because it did away with the iconic item of the computer-savvy runner, the cyberdeck.  SR5 brought back Decks with a vengeance, and so they're called Deckers again.

Yeah, I can see why there'd be a demand for Deckers to be brought back, they seem unique to the setting.

Quote from: Muse on November 09, 2014, 06:51:24 PM
  Does anyone have hang ups about playing with a seventeen year old character? 

(Will, of course, make an effort to ensure all associated images are 18+). 

I have no qualms.  I doubt real world sentiments will last long, after everyone get's stuck in the game.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Muse

Jacey Talia "J.T." Kirk, portrayed by Eliana Sosco.  :) 

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Muse on November 09, 2014, 07:11:46 PM
Jacey Talia "J.T." Kirk, portrayed by Eliana Sosco.  :) 

I dig her look! 
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on November 09, 2014, 07:09:42 PM
Yeah, I can see why there'd be a demand for Deckers to be brought back, they seem unique to the setting.

I have no qualms.  I doubt real world sentiments will last long, after everyone get's stuck in the game.

I know I'm taking Mild Prejudice vs. Trolls, because my character thinks trolls are cheesy and only played by min-maxing munchkins. :D

Muse

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 09, 2014, 06:58:22 PM
No.  Quick question for the more used to SR5?  How do the attributes of your Deck affect your personal attributes?  An example, the Hack on the Fly actions says the Dicepool is Hacking + Logic [Sleaze].  Interpretation, please?

Are you familiar with the concept of limits, Reiji? 

Hacking + Logic [Sleaze] means that you take dice eaul to hacking + logic, apply all aplicable modifers, then roll.  The (normal) maxiumum number of sucesses you can benefit from is equal to the Sleeze of your cyberdeck. 

Limits turn a lot of people off on this game, but our antagonsits havethem too.  THey're easily overcome by spending a point of edge. 

Any time edge is in play on a roll your limit is negated.  If you roll seven sucesses on a dice pool of 10, and wnat to be able to use all seven of them--not just 4 (your aplicable limit) you can spend an edge point after the roll to remove the limit AND get extra dice equal to your edge.  :)

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 09, 2014, 07:16:17 PM
I know I'm taking Mild Prejudice vs. Trolls, because my character thinks trolls are cheesy and only played by min-maxing munchkins. :D

We all know your preference for the bigger the better!  ::) 

Oh wait...that's me! >>

O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

ReijiTabibito

I am.  I was thinking it was something like that, that the deck limited the potential hits on a dice roll.

Edge is one of those things that may or may not have been improved since SR4.  Personally, I like that I can have an Edge 5 character right out of the box (Human base 2, with 3 Special Attribute points for Metatype D), and not have to pay a dime for it.

1SAZ

Or you could be like me and play a troll toting around an armory. :P

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: 1SAZ on November 09, 2014, 07:36:00 PM
Or you could be like me and play a troll toting around an armory. :P

Ooooohhhh, I want a real life armory toting troll to follow me around!
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

1SAZ

Allow me to make that a 'reality' haha

ReijiTabibito

I think Muse's little primer about how Decking works in SR5 has helped me make up my mind.  I'll be the group Decker.  I always found a bit of irony of being the computer guy hacking inside the computer game.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: 1SAZ on November 09, 2014, 08:18:52 PM
Allow me to make that a 'reality' haha

Awe...wait.  Does that mean you're going to troll me?!

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 09, 2014, 08:20:40 PM
I think Muse's little primer about how Decking works in SR5 has helped me make up my mind.  I'll be the group Decker.  I always found a bit of irony of being the computer guy hacking inside the computer game.

Excellent!  And yeah, I can see the irony in that!
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's