Not Your Normal Harem Show 2.0 - Started - Chauffeur & Maids needed + more!

Started by Top Cat, May 03, 2015, 05:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wander

Okay if the Guard is going, I think I'm gonna sign up as either the Gardener or Groundskeeper... I'll sleep on it and come back with something more cemented. :)

Top Cat

O/O / Story Seeds
Current posting speed: Slow to moderate. Most threads should get a response within 24 hours, with occasional dips as RL makes demands.
If I am more than a week behind on a story post, please feel free to PM me about it.
I am present in Elliquiy's Discord channel. If you want to chat about a story idea, feel free to DM me there.

Top Cat

O/O / Story Seeds
Current posting speed: Slow to moderate. Most threads should get a response within 24 hours, with occasional dips as RL makes demands.
If I am more than a week behind on a story post, please feel free to PM me about it.
I am present in Elliquiy's Discord channel. If you want to chat about a story idea, feel free to DM me there.

AndyZ

I was actually amused that the last game had a succubus lawyer also.  I guess great minds think about sexy succubi, which are all alike because they're twins.

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

wander

Okay then... I shall be working on a casual gardener man after some pretty admittedly flakey deliberation on the matter! :)

So I'll look into doing that... I've not looked into Black Butler but upon looking for character images I came across a perfectly trappy character called Finnian... My only worry is I wonder if this character is legal age or not, having not seen the anime I'm going off face and build...

AndyZ

The wonderful thing is that people don't always look their age.

I'm 32 IRL and a lot of people are convinced I'm still in my 20s.

If you say the character is 18, even if he doesn't appear to be 18, he's still 18.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Top Cat

Hrm. I think that there's one plotline element that I think I haven't made clear up until now. With the exception of Sylvio the Butler, everyone else is new to the Winterbilt Estate. Some (like Aderia, the Lawyer) have been working with the Winterbilt Corporation for years, at other locations. But everyone else, both already in the game or not yet signed up, have been hired or transferred to the Winterbilt Estate within the past month, game-time. Those who have been there for longer than two weeks have met Tim's dad; anyone newer than that never has.

The "never met Tim's dad" angle doesn't apply to the people who choose to take "childhood friend" as part of their character's background, of course. ;) But even they haven't seen him for some time.
O/O / Story Seeds

AndyZ

You forgot Zyra.  She's been at the household for centuries, and really only leaves at rare intervals.  (I'm thinking during a blue moon, during which times she has other preparations set up.)  Presumably she knew the father quite well, served faithfully, and we can figure out anything else that might be of importance.

Top Cat

*facepalm* Yes, you're correct. Zyra's been there, too. I forgot Zyra.  :-[
O/O / Story Seeds

AndyZ

If people like, though, Zyra could have been missing as well, with the wards and protections keeping the place extra safe during the blue moon, and just shown back up again now so that she's brand new to all the new people.  The average lunar cycle is just under a month anyway.

Top Cat

*nod* That'll work. The last time she saw Elder Winterbilt was about 4 weeks prior, then.
O/O / Story Seeds

Lynnette

Quote from: wander on May 05, 2015, 01:22:45 PM
Okay then... I shall be working on a casual gardener man after some pretty admittedly flakey deliberation on the matter! :)

So I'll look into doing that... I've not looked into Black Butler but upon looking for character images I came across a perfectly trappy character called Finnian... My only worry is I wonder if this character is legal age or not, having not seen the anime I'm going off face and build...

As far as I am aware, as far as artwork goes anyways, the obligation is that they look like they are 18+. It's harder to determine age on anime characters since the age-defining traits vary so much, so I'm fairly sure it's pretty general at this point. If it doesn't look like a kid, it'll probably pass.
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

Top Cat

Fun fact: When I was living in Vegas, I knew a woman in her mid-20s who looked like she was 13. She hated getting carded all the time, because a fair chunk of the time, even after they looked at her ID, they figured she was using her sister's ID or something, and refuse to serve her anyway.

Finnian could easily be 17 or 18. Maybe even a young-looking 20.
O/O / Story Seeds

AndyZ

Basically a blue moon is when there are two full moons in the same month.  The only time Zyra ever leaves the estate is between those two full moons.

Inari

Ah ok. I remember there being an investigation into spells that didn't get too far last time...

Top Cat

We're still a little smaller than the original group; I'd like to get a few more players, if possible. But I think we've got enough players who are actually interested in writing and playing this game, so if we don't have anyone else by Friday, I'll get it started then.

I'll be making four locations to start with - Front Lobby (1st Floor), Front of the Mansion, Off-Site, and Random Conversation.

The first three are where the start of the action is going to be. We're going to be starting at T-1, with an announcement from Aderia and/or Sylvio, explaining to the rest of the staff what's going on (to whatever degree they want to share the information they have). At the same time, I'll be posting in Off-Site, entering Timmy to the world and going over his reaction to being called back home.

Random Conversation is a new idea I have. It's an In-Character thread, and it'll be for discussions and interactions between characters when WHERE they're at doesn't really matter, and should be used for random interactions between two (or more) characters. This is for brief chatter, not leading-into-hot-sex flirting, and can be done by anyone at pretty much any time. Discussions with Tim should be in whatever location he's at, though, so other people know where he is.

I'll add more locations as they become needed/requested. We ended the last game with several locations that had zero posts. =>_<=
O/O / Story Seeds

Lynnette

Quote from: Top Cat on May 06, 2015, 11:50:10 AM
We're still a little smaller than the original group; I'd like to get a few more players, if possible. But I think we've got enough players who are actually interested in writing and playing this game, so if we don't have anyone else by Friday, I'll get it started then.

I'll be making four locations to start with - Front Lobby (1st Floor), Front of the Mansion, Off-Site, and Random Conversation.

The first three are where the start of the action is going to be. We're going to be starting at T-1, with an announcement from Aderia and/or Sylvio, explaining to the rest of the staff what's going on (to whatever degree they want to share the information they have). At the same time, I'll be posting in Off-Site, entering Timmy to the world and going over his reaction to being called back home.

Random Conversation is a new idea I have. It's an In-Character thread, and it'll be for discussions and interactions between characters when WHERE they're at doesn't really matter, and should be used for random interactions between two (or more) characters. This is for brief chatter, not leading-into-hot-sex flirting, and can be done by anyone at pretty much any time. Discussions with Tim should be in whatever location he's at, though, so other people know where he is.

I'll add more locations as they become needed/requested. We ended the last game with several locations that had zero posts. =>_<=

We could always change it around a bit to the following threads, as an example:

Private quarters:
Covers any room that wouldn't be available to anyone but relevant people. In other words, bedrooms, offices, etcetera.

Public quarters:
Covers any area that would be available for the majority or all characters at all most of the time. This would cover things like the gardens, front lobby, kitchen, and so forth.

Off-site:
Thread needed for the obligatory beach episode.

Random Conversation:
Don't really have a lot to say about it, it's not something I've seen being done before. So it's meant more-so as just a skit-thread? Basically just dropping in a small conversation at any time, regardless of active scenes etc, and having a giggle?

I guess it doesn't really allow for a whole lot of expandability though.
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

SargentToughie

Quote from: ReaperDouble0 on May 06, 2015, 11:56:42 AM
We could always change it around a bit to the following threads, as an example:

Private quarters:
Covers any room that wouldn't be available to anyone but relevant people. In other words, bedrooms, offices, etcetera.

Public quarters:
Covers any area that would be available for the majority or all characters at all most of the time. This would cover things like the gardens, front lobby, kitchen, and so forth.

Off-site:
Thread needed for the obligatory beach episode.

Random Conversation:
Don't really have a lot to say about it, it's not something I've seen being done before. So it's meant more-so as just a skit-thread? Basically just dropping in a small conversation at any time, regardless of active scenes etc, and having a giggle?

I guess it doesn't really allow for a whole lot of expandability though.

^

I like this setup a lot more. That way we're not going in between threads all the time just because the characters are moving around in the middle of a scene, and jerking around with the flow of the writing. It's pretty jarring when you go back and read, and the characters are moving all over the place mid scene, cutting in and out.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Top Cat

The problem with having general-purpose threads like that is that overlapping interactions that are supposedly at different places in the game-world can get confusing.

We're allowed to have (2 x player-count) threads, not counting this one. We currently have 10 players, so we can use 20 threads. We weren't close to hitting the limit in the last game, and I don't think that people were getting too confused in transitioning from one location to another. And if we start out with broad, general-purpose threads, it's very hard to expand it later.

The key, of course, is making sure that people clearly post their transitions - saying that they're moving from X to Y at the end of one post, and then at the start of the first post in the other location saying that they're coming from X.

The biggest reason to have a variety of different locations is to make line-of-sight a non-problem. Does John, laying in bed in his bedroom, know that his girlfriend is being tied up and gang-banged by his buddies in the kitchen? If you're in the same thread as someone else, and they do something, your character can probably see them and what they're doing; if you're in a different thread, then you're in a different location, and your character doesn't know what's going on. That gets harder to handle when you have one thread handling a larger variety of locations.

That doesn't mean that I'm hard-set on having lots of locations. I do recognize that having too many locations can spread a game out too much and stifle a game from lack of interaction. But the opposite is also true - too few locations in a game with a lot of players/characters can cause too much confusion and kill the game, too.
O/O / Story Seeds

Lynnette

Quote from: Top Cat on May 06, 2015, 12:25:40 PM
The problem with having general-purpose threads like that is that overlapping interactions that are supposedly at different places in the game-world can get confusing.

We're allowed to have (2 x player-count) threads, not counting this one. We currently have 10 players, so we can use 20 threads. We weren't close to hitting the limit in the last game, and I don't think that people were getting too confused in transitioning from one location to another. And if we start out with broad, general-purpose threads, it's very hard to expand it later.

The key, of course, is making sure that people clearly post their transitions - saying that they're moving from X to Y at the end of one post, and then at the start of the first post in the other location saying that they're coming from X.

The biggest reason to have a variety of different locations is to make line-of-sight a non-problem. Does John, laying in bed in his bedroom, know that his girlfriend is being tied up and gang-banged by his buddies in the kitchen? If you're in the same thread as someone else, and they do something, your character can probably see them and what they're doing; if you're in a different thread, then you're in a different location, and your character doesn't know what's going on. That gets harder to handle when you have one thread handling a larger variety of locations.

That doesn't mean that I'm hard-set on having lots of locations. I do recognize that having too many locations can spread a game out too much and stifle a game from lack of interaction. But the opposite is also true - too few locations in a game with a lot of players/characters can cause too much confusion and kill the game, too.

By all means, I'm not opposed to having specific-location threads, but there was very little wiggle-room in the threads enlisted. Of course, if you plan to expand it as they become relevant, it's not a problem, but if you're not intending to do such, it would tie down the players a lot in terms of where you can go and where you can't.
Lynnpai#4726

My request thread

Top Cat

*nod* I do plan to expand as needed. If you want to start with a private discussion between Aderia and Sylvio in Aderia's Office, I have no problem including that into the starting thread line-up. Likewise if Hati wants to have the Kitchen available so that Nero can be using, say, Akia for a little special flavoring in the first night's meal... ;)

I just want to trim the topics down to start, and try to avoid having threads that are just temporary locations too often. I made that mistake in Feed The Night - the Entryway Foyer is mostly pointless, and should have been rolled into the Front Door thread, rather than separating the two.
O/O / Story Seeds

AndyZ

I'd think I'd have an entryway foyer instead of a front door.

Zyra tends to spend an inordinate amount of time in the Library, but up to you if that needs its own thread or not.

Top Cat

Quote from: AndyZ on May 06, 2015, 01:58:52 PM
I'd think I'd have an entryway foyer instead of a front door.
Well, the point is that there were two threads when there wasn't really more than one needed, since both are temp locations where the characters aren't likely to stick around for more than a few posts.

QuoteZyra tends to spend an inordinate amount of time in the Library, but up to you if that needs its own thread or not.
We need the thread when two or more characters are going to be interacting there. Otherwise, it's just as easy for you to write a "coming from the Library" introduction to a post that takes place elsewhere.
O/O / Story Seeds