Demon Hunter’s Academy

Started by Jaded, May 07, 2013, 11:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaded

This game will use the Mutants and Masterminds 2nd Edition rules.  I am willing to accept players who don’t have the rules if other players are willing to assist them on occasion.  So if you are interested and don’t have the rules, feel free to post here and we will try to work something out. 

This game is intended to be plot heavy, though I will be rating it non-consensual exotic and do expect sexual content.  The setting is fairly generic, taking place in an Academy that trains those responsible for battling demons and similar evil.  The bulk of the characters would be new students, just starting out at the Academy even as the war between good and evil begins to heat up.  Characters would be dealing with situations both at the Academy, and elsewhere. 

The game takes place in a world that is the same as ours on the surface.  The existence of supernatural and superhuman people and creatures is unknown by the majority of the world’s population.  Player characters would only have learned of it within the last few years, possibly through an encounter, or simply upon being recruited to join the Academy. 

Witchdell Academy, located on an island off the coast of New England, is publicly known as a private college for the gifted.  Its student body is hand-picked, you can’t apply to the Academy, and includes people from around the world.  It is only those directly involved with the Academy that know the truth behind it all, it exists to train the next generation of warriors in the eternal war against the supernatural.

A new class of students has arrived to begin their studies, unaware that great changes are coming. 

-=-=-

I’m looking for new students (there wouldn't be a fixed age, though most would probably be eighteen, plus or minus a year or two), maybe a teacher or two, and possibly a demon or two to oppose them as reoccurring villains. 

Characters generally won’t die.  The only time I will allow it is if the character’s player wants it to happen for whatever reason.  In any other situation where death would normally occur, some reason for their survival will be decided on.

Mutants and Masterminds 2nd Edition.
Only the core rulebook is allowed for now.
Costumes are not immune to powers.
Students: PL5
  Origins: Endowment, Experiment, Mutant, Training, Magic, Technology
Teachers: PL8
  Origins: Endowment, Experiment, Mutant, Training, Magic, Technology
Demons: PL8
  Origins: Magic

[tt]
Name:
Appearance:
History:

[b]  ABILITIES[/b]
STR: XX (+X) = XX + XX
DEX: XX (+X) = XX + XX
CON: XX (+X) = XX + XX
INT: XX (+X) = XX + XX
WIS: XX (+X) = XX + XX
CHA: XX (+X) = XX + XX

TGN: XX = XX + CON + XX
FRT: XX = XX + CON + XX
REF: XX = XX + DEX + XX
WIL: XX = XX + WIS + XX

[b]  COMBAT[/b]
Defence: XX = XX+XX+XX [FLAT]
Initiative: XX = DEX + XX + XX
Hero Points: 1

[b]  ATTACKS[/b]
Attack Bonus:
Ranged Bonus:
Melee Bonus:

[b]  FEATS[/b]

[b]  POWERS/DEVICES[/b]

[b]  EQUIPMENT[/b]

[b]  DRAWBACKS & COMPLICATIONS[/b]

[b]  SKILLS[/b]
[/tt]

1SAZ

I am absolutely interested in either being a teacher or student for this. Just need to find my books...

Kord

I am also interested. I will write up an application when I find my 2nd edition books. I have only been playing 3rd edition lately but the change might be nice.
My roleplaying on's and off's: https://www.f-list.net/c/kordbluemoon

Thorn14

Caught me off guard with the title since its usually an RP name I use. I was like "Wait a moment!?"

I'll probably play a character who can use alchemical like powers.

Jaded

Thanks for your interest everyone. :)

I was just looking for a name that summed up the concept, didn't realize it was used already.  I'll try and think of something else to change it to.

Thorn14

No no no its fine. Its not even here where I have the idea. Its just a funny coincidence.  XD

Can I use Device like, a tool belt, that contains all of my character's different alchemical solutions to use? Using Alternate Powers for each? Or is there a different method?

Jaded

I'd probably use the Inventor feat, (with Arcane Lore) as well as maybe a few of your character's more common recipes as a device (or devices).  Not sure if there is an alternate method.  How limited do you see the solutions as being?  One use then they have to be replaced?  Or repeatedly useable?

Thorn14

Not infinite but at least enough to use when need be. Like, I don't know, 5 of each type?

Roxy Rocket

Huh. I remember M&M.

Three questions, if ya don't mind.

• What kind of influences (other fiction) should we be drawing on?
  • What kind of place is The Witchdell Academy?
  • Where should we draw the line for kink and non-erotic, darker themes?

Jaded

Quote from: Thorn14 on May 08, 2013, 11:56:21 PM
Not infinite but at least enough to use when need be. Like, I don't know, 5 of each type?

You could use, uh, Fades I think it was.  Devices would probably be the best way.

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 09, 2013, 02:11:49 AM
      Huh. I remember M&M.

Three questions, if ya don't mind.

• What kind of influences (other fiction) should we be drawing on?
  • What kind of place is The Witchdell Academy?
  • Where should we draw the line for kink and non-erotic, darker themes?

I'm not actually sure what a good inspiration would be.  The world is supposed to be like ours, but with the supernatural hidden beneath the surface.  I don't see characters generally being costumed heroes, and no good example of what I am thinking is coming to mind.  I guess maybe similar to Harry Potter, but more integrated and less purely magical.  The characters have probably just been thrust into a world they don't understand, and are going through university to learn more about it.  The thing that trigged the idea for me was a friend linking "Angel of Darkness," though I'm not going for that precise vibe.  I'll try to come up with something good in way of inspiration for the setting to help get what I am thinking across.

-=-=-

The Academy would be a cross between a traditional university and more of a private school.  The students would all live on campus and would study something mundane on top of their magical/technological studies.  It would be a group of large structures, all fairly old, in an isolated location.  There would be a town on the island as well, but on the opposite side and not all that large.  The students would be dealing, intially, with issues within the Academy itself, more of a mystery vibe, as well as just interacting with each other.  Later on there would be training missions to other regions of the world.

-=-=-

I'm not sure I fully get what you mean by your last question.  I'm fine with darker themes, I don't see the villains as being particularly pleasant, so as long as it is within the rating, you should come up with what you want to write/play.

Roxy Rocket

snip

Jefepato

This could be interesting, if you don't have enough players already.  Are player characters to be built on the "standard" 15 points per PL?

I'll need to consider a few ideas...

Jaded

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 09, 2013, 02:00:29 PM
      Okay, there's a good start. I was just probing in case there was some clear angle (ala Constantine or Cthulhutech or um, another C word... etc.)

Second part... yup. That's okay. So someone might be teaching English classes and demon anatomy. Clearly not at the same time but... ya know what I mean. I think I get it.

Third question is I guess about the vibe. So whether it's funny-cute (The time I killed a hellhound with a poolnoodle) or militant-political-angry (Rainbow Six meets Dracula, Sam Spade versus The Wolfman) or just an out and out horror show (Beach scene of Saving Private Ryan, but with monsters) or more realistic-awful (Post traumatic stress about abortions, a demons rights movement, torture-exorcisms.)

Is this a monster movie with a huge budget for dismemberment? Is it about attractive evil with the odd tentacle-face thrown in? Or maybe a harrowing exploration of soldiers in a war against an incomprehensible enemy that degrades and destroys the very idea of being human?

God, I have an awful imagination sometimes...

I had a good inspiration, then it slipped from my mind.   :-[

But yes, people would quite possibly be teaching a mundane subject along with a supernatural one.  The eventual graduates would have to make a living while battling evil after all. ;)

I don't have a specific vibe in mind.  The demons would generally be more horror movie style, though not realistic.  It would also vary from demon to demon.  One may be a horrible serial killer who rips people limb from limb, one may be a tentacle monster who sexually violates, one may be a corruption type with an angelic face who tries to turn people to darkness.  How the characters interact between themselves, and how they react to the horror, would be up to them.  I wouldn't mind including occasional comedy moments, though it wouldn't be the overall focus. 

Quote from: Jefepato on May 09, 2013, 02:47:11 PM
This could be interesting, if you don't have enough players already.  Are player characters to be built on the "standard" 15 points per PL?

I'll need to consider a few ideas...

Yes, it would be 15 per PL.  I am still accepting more players if you are interested.

Roxy Rocket

Okay, I've got a character idea, though it'll be a bit before I can assemble the right points for a character sheet. It'll probably work as a student or teacher just fine.

Endurance Primary, Strength secondary, powers themed on regeneration, some monstrous features and general helltaint.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

idea scrapped

Quote from: Jaded on May 09, 2013, 05:55:32 PM
I had a good inspiration, then it slipped from my mind.   :-[

Lies! Yer jus' holdin' out on us. Keepin' all that genius ter yerself.    8D

Thorn14

Someone should make a seductive and mind controlling succubus  XD

Jaded

Looks good Roxy. :)  I like her.  Up to you whether she is a student or a teacher.

Quote from: Thorn14 on May 09, 2013, 07:20:09 PM

I'm sure one could show up eventually ;)

Chloris

Seems like an interesting premise. I'll try my best to think of something interesting enough.
The Long Road: a Traveling adventure.
A Human / NC freeform roleplay following the path of a caravan.
Packing up for departure!

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: Thorn14 on May 09, 2013, 07:20:09 PM

See, that's where I started... then I drifted right off the mind control stuff. It's probably an attention span thing... if I can't control my own mind, why bother controlling others'?

Quote from: Jaded on May 09, 2013, 11:13:55 PM
Looks good Roxy. :)  I like her.  Up to you whether she is a student or a teacher.

Sweet. Teacher. I'm doing a bit more fluff then I'll do the sheet. I'll try to stay away from anything too... feeling-ee.

Also, Chloris? Great avatar. That thing's just spiffy.

Thorn14

Well if you ever wanna make a demon just keep that in mind.  ;)

And if not mind control, seduction, illusions, lust control, you know.

Chloris

I think I'm going to take the counterpart to the demonic surroundings, and make a rather holy character, all saintly, with perhaps a touch of angelism. I'm leaning towards student so far, but teacher might fit if there's a thematic need or something.

QuoteAlso, Chloris? Great avatar. That thing's just spiffy.
Glad you like it! If you'd like to know more about these charming fairies, look into Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita.
The Long Road: a Traveling adventure.
A Human / NC freeform roleplay following the path of a caravan.
Packing up for departure!

Silk

I'm interested but I'm in no way farmilliar with the rules I'm afraid.

Jaded

Quote from: Chloris on May 10, 2013, 05:08:25 AM
I think I'm going to take the counterpart to the demonic surroundings, and make a rather holy character, all saintly, with perhaps a touch of angelism. I'm leaning towards student so far, but teacher might fit if there's a thematic need or something.

If we wind up with an imbalance between teachers/students, it will just change how the roleplay works out.  So go with what you prefer ;)

Quote from: Silk on May 10, 2013, 05:49:12 PM

Did you have any thoughts for what sort of character you'd like to play?  I'm not sure what would be simplest for someone not familiar with the rules, but will think on it. 

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: Silk on May 10, 2013, 05:49:12 PM

It looks at lot like Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, but I should stop there before I info-dump and drown everyone.

Quote from: Jaded on May 10, 2013, 10:16:45 PM
I'm not sure what would be simplest for someone not familiar with the rules, but will think on it. 

If lots of points get sunk into raw bonuses and a few simple powers (Telekinesis, with alternate powers like Shield, Blast and Senses) it could be okay, even with lots of dice rolling.

But I haven't done this in a while, so I might being remembering silly things that never happened.

Silk

Quote from: Jaded on May 10, 2013, 10:16:45 PM
If we wind up with an imbalance between teachers/students, it will just change how the roleplay works out.  So go with what you prefer ;)

Did you have any thoughts for what sort of character you'd like to play?  I'm not sure what would be simplest for someone not familiar with the rules, but will think on it.

Well what sort of character is needed the most at the moment, I'm pretty flexible as to what it is I play as long as I get to (although sexually I'm sub only :3)

Roxy Rocket

Well, I don't know what people have been PMing to Jaded, lemme see who is in this hiz-house from the tiz-thread.

Woooord. *turns her baseball cap all backwards*

1SAZ - - Interest, no details
      Kord - - Interest, no details      
      Thorn14 - - Alchemical Powers? Probably Student
      Jefepato - - Interest, no details
      Chloris - - Interest, no details

I dunno how sexual this'll end up being. If I totally fail on that side of the equation I can start pitching kinky monsters to Jadey.

I guess that means the field is open. I guess I'll do an update on where I am:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

idea scrapped