IM Etiquette

Started by Janeilbennett, January 04, 2012, 06:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janeilbennett

Hi,

I just had a question about IM RP's. I've noticed that sometimes when I post a request for a story in the non-forum area, that when people do respond, they...um, are very ephemeral about it. Its like as soon as we establish that we want to do the RP, or you lay out characters and story and even an intro post to start, they have:

-Stopped Replying even though thye're online
-Logged Off immediately after your intro post and never come back online
-Ignore your PM's and IM's when you ask them about the RP a few days later.

It's a bit annoying because I like long-term IM RP's and it seems without fail that the people who come to me first to RP with them, they don't hold through, and they don't get back to you about the RP, especially when you put your idea aside to play with that person.

I've rarely had this problem with writing ON the forums, or by PM. I was just curious as to if this happened to everyone else and why.
Ons and Offs
Janeilbennett is about, can be reached and only in the house when called.
Open to New RP's; please see On/Offs.
"What's with that lame outfit?"
"Hmph. I can say the same about yours."
"Marketing, marketing. Unlike you, my chest gives hopes and dreams to people."
-Macross Frontier

Beguile's Mistress

It can happen more in IM RP than other platforms due to the fact that being online at the same time is necessary for both parties and real life issues can have a greater impact.  That along with inspiration and an active/inactive muse can be strong factors.

Etiquette would dictate that we PM each other or chat in IM if we wish to drop a game or have some other problem but that isn't always recognized as proper behavior.

The best I can advise is that you continue as you mean to go on with being a considerate, polite and respectful partner and hopefully you'll eventually encounter others of the same mold.

To others reading this please remember that you should never treat an online contact in a way that would not be acceptable in real life.  Be polite, courteous and respectful as well as mature in your dealings with your online friends and writing partners.