DnD Online - Interest Check

Started by Zaer Darkwail, July 18, 2013, 04:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostwheel

My hat's in for 3.5, but doing skills the way Pathfinder does em :-P

Best of both worlds, amirite? That said, if that doesn't work, 3.5 all the way :-D

steelsmiter

I'm not familar with the 3.5 if/how it's different from PF's barbarian. If the differences are too great I can't do 3.5. Also is that the one with the silly "unaligned" business?
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Zaer Darkwail

Nah, 3.5 edition is similar to pathfinder but there are no archtypes at all in there (some class features get swapped around but not same extend as archtypes do). Also barbarian is different in 3.5 edition than in pathfinder (you cannot specialize move in loincloth example). The alignments are still there (so it's not 4th edition).

Ghostwheel

Rather than "archetypes", 3.5 has "Alternate Class Features" which is where archetypes came from, and basically work the same way, as well as "racial ACFs" which are kind of like the favored class alternate bonuses in Pathfinder, just switching class features rather than losing the favored class bonus (which 3.5 doesn't have).

steelsmiter

Well I'm pretty much sold on the Savage Barbarian and I have been for over a year. Let me know when you decide Pathfinder vs. 3.5 so I can find out if I need to put up a sheet.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Zaer Darkwail

Well, there are two fresh new folks and two folks who know systems for DnD so vote is between you and Ghostwheel really at this point :P. I myself I am leaning towards pathfinder with some stuff converted from 3.5.

steelsmiter

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on July 25, 2013, 09:39:06 PM
Well, there are two fresh new folks and two folks who know systems for DnD so vote is between you and Ghostwheel really at this point :P. I myself I am leaning towards pathfinder with some stuff converted from 3.5.
Looks ok to me.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Ghostwheel

*crosses fingers and hopes for 3.5, as he likes some of the material there better for his concept* :-P

But I'll happily go along with whatever you decide.

Zaer Darkwail

Okay, it's decided then. We go full pathfinder with some stuff from 3.5 edition converted over. Considering Ghostwheel wants play crusader from book of nine swords I have added my house rulings for that class. But note crusader is only gained by reaching level 10 and doing job change from fighter or paladin.

Upon for requests I do house rulings and additions to the game (doing extensive conversion of all classes and feats from 3.5 would be exhausting). First post has been now edited with chargen stuff. Those to new DnD or pathfinder in general can check the links what I posted or ask other players a advice. Idea is that I try start the game in next week.

steelsmiter

Alright, I originally had my character in a .txt file so it will take a bit to convert it to a Plothook sheet. I'll also need to redo the attributes because they were on a different scale. This is no bother but it will take a bit.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Zaer Darkwail

Nice to hear :). I pushed for 30 point buy instead 25 because magic items can be bit harder to get.

steelsmiter

Are you using the UC rules for bone? I only ask because the original character thought that her tribe had given her a "Dragontooth Spear" which was a glaive made from common bone.

Technically since we're going the Online RPG route that backstory doesn't matter as much and I can go ahead with normal weapons made of materials like Iron and steel. to be clear are we using the dice rolls given in the equipment chapter?
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Zaer Darkwail

Oh, assume you got max dice roll results for starting gold. Any betatesters who start at 2th level use 2th level starting gold. Anyways RPG background can be anything you like and I intent to write actual MMO fluff plot what the game is about (it is going to be dungeon and dragons universe but none pre-established ones like Faerun, Dark Sun etc). What comes to dragonbone spears/glaives, your char could had been betatester and so have +2 weapon as starting bonus (which is made from real dragonbone) example.

spooky

I have taken The Oath of Drake.

steelsmiter

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on July 26, 2013, 05:25:02 PM
Oh, assume you got max dice roll results for starting gold. Any betatesters who start at 2th level use 2th level starting gold. Anyways RPG background can be anything you like and I intent to write actual MMO fluff plot what the game is about (it is going to be dungeon and dragons universe but none pre-established ones like Faerun, Dark Sun etc). What comes to dragonbone spears/glaives, your char could had been betatester and so have +2 weapon as starting bonus (which is made from real dragonbone) example.

so we gonna run that as a GM gimme since +2 is worth 8x the standard amount or did you intend +1 which is only twice the amount for a second level character? I was pretty sure you said second level though honestly 3rd level (and +1) doesn't seem like much of stretch to the standard betatester rule.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: spooky on July 27, 2013, 02:53:26 AM
Traits or no traits?

2 traits each if not use feat to have more.

Quote from: steelsmiter on July 27, 2013, 03:21:16 AM
so we gonna run that as a GM gimme since +2 is worth 8x the standard amount or did you intend +1 which is only twice the amount for a second level character? I was pretty sure you said second level though honestly 3rd level (and +1) doesn't seem like much of stretch to the standard betatester rule.

Check the char gen rules; If your a betatester you choose one benefit to your char. It is either exotic race, start as advanced class, a 8,000gp costing single magic item which you cannot sell (which can be a weapon made from exotic materials), or lastly start in 2th level instead 1 level in opening day.

So, normal players start with max gold in first level. If you start in 2th level, you use max 2th level gold.

steelsmiter

Fun times! I'll get back to the drawing board after a quick 4-6 hour nap.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Ghostwheel

Almost done with my charsheet :-D

Making a beta tester, how are we doing HP past the first level? Rolled? Average? Max? Max -4+1d4? Etc

steelsmiter

Wait I'm confused, don't I get d12s?
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Pipaluk

You're confused!? Imagine how I feel... :p

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: steelsmiter on July 29, 2013, 12:57:15 PM
Wait I'm confused, don't I get d12s?

Why you got idea you do not get d12? If barbarian class gives you d12 HP then you get them :P.

Anyways game probably goes for formula. So you get max HP first level and then 'half + 1'. So barbarians get 7 HP per level + what they get from Con mod.

steelsmiter

Quote from: Ghostwheel on July 29, 2013, 11:55:52 AM
Almost done with my charsheet :-D

Making a beta tester, how are we doing HP past the first level? Rolled? Average? Max? Max -4+1d4? Etc

That's what confused me, so as a Beta Tester 19 (12+7)+(Con ModxLevel) right?
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: steelsmiter on July 29, 2013, 05:11:46 PM
That's what confused me, so as a Beta Tester 19 (12+7)+(Con ModxLevel) right?

Yes, but this is not 'beta tester' only feature but all players start with that sum. Also note if you start as 1st level barbarian your HP is 12+Con mod (and it is same per level). If your a beta tester who chooses barbarian class but starts as 2th level your HP is 12+7+(Con mod x level).

Chloe Milev

Heeeere's a character--

Name: Jude Fletcher
Nationality: American
City/Province: Seattle, WA
Social Status: Employed, Married, Kids
Personality
Naturally quiet and observant.  Will speak up to clarify rules or other points of expertise.  If he finds a moment and motivation to act in character, however, he dives in and runs with it uncharacteristically.  Characters are outgoing and more extreme than his natural easy-going and passive demeanor.
Background
Jude grew up interested in RPG's, starting out with video games.  He had heard of D&D, and was eventually introduced to tabletop gaming by a cousin.  Predisposed to it, he was hooked, and waited patiently for the chance to find others to play with.  Once at university, his D&D career shot off, playing in at least one or two campaigns each week and brainstorming new characters in his spare time.

It was there that he met his wife, another geek enthusiast.  She also played, and together they had many roleplayed and read adventures.  They dated, and eventually married, and now they always had a gaming partner in the other.  After graduating and moving away, Jude found new people to play with, and discovered Dungeon Mastering his own campaigns.  Now all his brainstorming could be put to use for exciting NPCs and new ways to challenge and kill his players.

As life moves on, however, the kids begin, friends move, or there are simply more and more interruptions to a simple weekly game.  They turned to MMOs, or even just RPG podcasts to have a connection to gaming.  With the new Nerve Gear-powered DDO, there was suddenly the opportunity to experience face-to-face roleplaying with the convenience of online gaming and the immersion of LARPing, but with superior design and execution!  Jude was quick to volunteer for beta testing.

In the beginning, there was simply playing through a few quests, seeing what was broken, or what links in continuity might be broken or exploited.  He made suggestions for how different alignments might chose to complete a quest, or how different classes might be more readily approached by certain NPCs.  Perhaps a rogue would be sought out by criminals and conniving businessmen, while arcanists would draw in paranoid or jealous folk looking for answers, as well as anyone needing aid would come to divine characters.  Of course, any player could approach an NPC for a quest and find some way to complete it outside their traditional niche.  Maybe if a player often sought out intrigue-themed quests, more of those NPCs would be directed to his attention.

Drawing from his own experiences and preferences, however, he made some proactive suggestions for established campaign setting material.  His favorite being Eberron, he made his case for its inclusion, despite having already featured in the first D&D MMO decades ago.  Even if they didn't set the game in Eberron, there were interesting ideas in the races (warforged, shifters, changelings), a pulp/noir world of intrigue and post-war recovery, and involving players in the intricacies of business empires and ancient prophecies through dragonmarks.  In any event, one of the most important things to Jude was very good writing and AI for the NPCs, for those that played more as a single character than grinding along with friends and other players.

As part of the testing, he used many different classes and races.  With martial characters, he got a feel for the melee combat; while he acted it out, having a good base attack and strength made fighting feel much easier, like the enemies were moving slowly enough for his amateur swings to connect.  As a rogue, details were much more noticeable, while enemies were much more likely to be looking away from him if his stealth was good.  And casting magic was interesting as well; he had to chant and wave his arms, but was free to make it up, follow a script, even follow a simple rhythm game for bards.  Feeling the surge of energy run through his body was like nothing he could feel outside of the game, so when it came time to make his first real character outside of beta, he knew it would be a magic user.

As a tester reward, he decided to try out an exclusive race, a kitsune.  They had a very magical feel, and he felt like being a little tricksy even as he chose to play a sorcerer.  The sheer volume of magical power was fulfilling, and would hopefully last him through most situations.  While he had tried several different avatars in his testing, including females to see how they handled, he chose a very attractive, sexy style for his kitsune, deciding he'd enjoy getting some attention to his advantage besides skills and magic spells.  In the character creation, he spent a lot of time getting each detail just right, making his own fantasy girl.  When he finally logged in, he was very satisfied, feeling both the magical power thrum through her body, and how sexy she both looked and felt in her little kimono.  She could even change between her sexy regular human body, and her true golden-brown kitsune form.  It was strange feeling her own muzzle, the fur was very soft and nice, and having a tail swish around was very disconcerting.  It needed a lot of practice to control, and without concentration it tended to move on its own, flashing her bottom or knocking into things, even if she was supposed to be human!  After a brief checkup, she couldn't wait to go talk to some NPCs and see if she recognized a quest she could complete through seduction.  Turning off the mature content filter, she set off to explore the world anew.

DnD Online Avatar
MOSHI
Race: Kitsune
Body: Class(es): Sorcerer 1
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

steelsmiter

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on July 29, 2013, 05:52:42 PM
Yes, but this is not 'beta tester' only feature but all players start with that sum. Also note if you start as 1st level barbarian your HP is 12+Con mod (and it is same per level). If your a beta tester who chooses barbarian class but starts as 2th level your HP is 12+7+(Con mod x level).
Right, but you told me that the Dragontooth glaive would be a beta tester worthy item. I just indicated that this was the math for my level.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os