Lack of appearant interest

Started by EroticFantasyAuthor, August 14, 2013, 09:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EroticFantasyAuthor

This thread has a lack of apparent interest (and honestly, what little interest I've gotten are either flakes or people that can't be bothered to fully read posts or pay attention and use common sense, starting to get a little frustrated).

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=171687.0

700+ views but very little interest?

What is the problem, what could I do better?

Is it wanting a co-author to write for multiple characters? Is it wanting a co-author to write for characters that are not their creation?

RedPhoenix

The more specific you are, the more people you exclude. Your request is pretty specific. Also it's very long. I don't get the impression there's a whole lot of room for anyone to put their own spin on it, which means you're only going to find people who are either not interested in coming up with a plot on their own, or who have the exact same very specific fantasy as you.

Myself, I wouldn't be interested because I don't find playing multiple characters fun, and the cast feels bloated for no real reason.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Kye

Interest for specific ideas is very fluid.  I've put an idea up and had nothing for over six months and then had half dozen excellent writers approach me within a weeks time.  I've found that the more specific an idea is the longer it takes to find the right partner for it. You're asking for some fairly specific things in the gender and pairing/kink, which might be why it's taking some time to hook the right person.

lilhobbit37

Also the fact that you have already written a lot about the specific characters your partner will be playing probably hurts your chances. Many rp partners do not like to jump into a character that you have already fleshed out quite a bit. You already pretty much decided the entire story and history of the characters, as well as what the appearance of each is.

Part of the fun of role-playing for many people is the chance to be creative and create a story together, not to jump into something that is already completely created for them.

Beguile's Mistress

As all of the above have said, you need to leave room for creativity and inventiveness on the part of co-writer.  No one wants to be put in the position of having to live up to your dream.  It is nearly impossible and a lot of work for very little reward.

Kazyth

In all honesty, what you have put up as it is would possibly be better written by yourself as a solo story.  As has already been mentioned, it seems less like you are looking for a partner for this story and more like you are trying to shoehorn in someone to play parts and ways that you want.  You would be better served, if you want a partner for this idea, to trim it back heavily and stick to one or two characters at most.  There is always room for more NPC types, but I've found the majority of my partners and folks I write with/have written with tend to prefer a more organic style of writing.

Your character, a vague idea for a direction and some kinks, a few bits about what sort of character you would like a partner to play... and I guarantee you will find a partner.  If you absolutely must have things the way that you have already presented them, though, you will have to deal with possibly quite a bit more time before the right person will come along to fill the roles, if one does.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

EroticFantasyAuthor

I knew the specficness of the idea would lead to more difficulty finding a co-writer. I'm not really trying to shoehorn anyone into anything, just looking for a person that is interested in the ideas and willing to play as the characters.

While yes a few things about the characters have been decided(appearance, history, etc) the main big one, personality, is up to the co-writer.

Just out of 700+ views, I expected more interested replies

Nessy

I agree with the others. There isn't a lot of room for anyone to take ownership of these characters or contribute creatively . It's probably too complex for people who might not mind having so much of their character determined already as well. It's a tall order to fill.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Blythe

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on August 14, 2013, 11:30:25 PM
While yes a few things about the characters have been decided(appearance, history, etc) the main big one, personality, is up to the co-writer.

You might be underestimating how many people would value being able to control those aspects of creating their own character. Many people would consider appearance and history as important as personality. If I were you, I would consider looking at what is essential for your enjoyment in your idea, and perhaps relinquishing some details to the control of a co-author in order to land some interest.

The thing is--your idea is well-written and detailed; I can say this is why you probably have a lot of views. But it can be kind of daunting to run multiple pre-established characters someone else made when approaching someone else's very detailed concept. Having a way to contribute with one's own character and ideas is one way that allows people to approach other ideas and feel equal in the contribution to the story.

Blitzy

Again, I can restate that appearance is important for me in the characters I play. I spend a long time finding pictures, and while I will happily ask my partner some of their specifics, the character is mine. I do not like others picking my character for me.

if you trimmed the idea, made it a bit more open, you may get a lot more story nibbles.

"I am looking for a partner to play two 19 year old hermaphrodites. I will be playing two characters as well. I want to explore various scenarios between them all. I have these images for character inspiration!" Etc. That leaves so much more open to other writers. So it is a co-story, not just something in your head you want played out.

One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Well to be honest everything is really important to the scenes, the history especially, for example, I have no interest in writing for the scenes if the two herm characters were raised in a home where they were made to feel like freaks and made to feel dirty. The history is kinda essential to the theme of the story.

The appearance isn't really all that necessary, but they are sisters cousins so their bodies types should be similar(busty, curvaceous).

Blitzy

Well, I do not know what else to tell you. You have several people in this thread trying to help. You do not seem to want to compromise, which is important when expecting to write with another person.

It seems that the people who have shown interest you were unhappy with for whatever reason. Which is definitely your right but if you are not willing to compromise, I do not know how exactly you will find the magical unicorn of a writing partner. :(

One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Elina

There is nothing wrong with being this rigid in your idea, but then you're going to have a situation where you have 800 views and no interest.  This is going to be like finding a needle in a haystack.  You'll need to be patient and be willing to wait, maybe several months, until the right person comes along.  If you want to appeal to more people so there's some interest, you'll need to be flexible.

Formless

I agree with everything everyone said so far.

And to sum it up. Most people like to create their own characters.

QuoteI don't like to have a manual to what I should write.

Rogue

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on August 15, 2013, 02:00:39 AM
Well to be honest everything is really important to the scenes, the history especially, for example, I have no interest in writing for the scenes if the two herm characters were raised in a home where they were made to feel like freaks and made to feel dirty. The history is kinda essential to the theme of the story.

The appearance isn't really all that necessary, but they are sisters cousins so their bodies types should be similar(busty, curvaceous).

Lets put it this way, I looked at your thread. I the basics of the story seemed to be a pair of hermaphrodites who are related meet another pair who are nymphos and also related. Cool. Pair of hermaphrodites from a loving home seems easy enough. A background I'd write without prompting. But then there's the mention that they've already met and had an established relationship (an auto turn off for me except for extreme circumstances). That's something that can easily be changed, but that you've mentioned it means, to me that you're wanting to skip that initial interaction.

Also, they're 19 and just going into college and this is the summer before this? They take a year off or something? Why does it have to be this way? Why do they have to be 19? Why can't they just be younger in general? How about one being 18 and the other being 20? Why do they have to be going to college? Why couldn't we have discussed this over PM instead of you deciding it?

Also, choosing the names? Yeah, means I don't have to find a name. Also means that you have a great portion of it written already in your head of how you want it to go... This is a general no go for me. Also, the name draws people in but the length pushes some away.

RedPhoenix

Oh, I also noticed in the thread you want someone who can commit to posting several times a week. This is going to automatically disqualify tons of people here.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Quote from: Blitzy on August 15, 2013, 02:43:09 AM
Well, I do not know what else to tell you. You have several people in this thread trying to help. You do not seem to want to compromise, which is important when expecting to write with another person.

It seems that the people who have shown interest you were unhappy with for whatever reason. Which is definitely your right but if you are not willing to compromise, I do not know how exactly you will find the magical unicorn of a writing partner. :(

It's not that I do not want to compromise, but more than I want to find a co-author who is just as interested in the ideas, setup and characters as I am, so compromise will not be needed. I've had these ideas for awhile, and honestly part of the reason for signing up to E was attempting this setup. I've had success with this setup in another RP community and have found a couple of awesome co-authors, but unfortunately they went poof and the community is pretty much dead.

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on August 15, 2013, 07:20:35 PM
Lets put it this way, I looked at your thread. I the basics of the story seemed to be a pair of hermaphrodites who are related meet another pair who are nymphos and also related. Cool. Pair of hermaphrodites from a loving home seems easy enough. A background I'd write without prompting. But then there's the mention that they've already met and had an established relationship (an auto turn off for me except for extreme circumstances). That's something that can easily be changed, but that you've mentioned it means, to me that you're wanting to skip that initial interaction.

Also, they're 19 and just going into college and this is the summer before this? They take a year off or something? Why does it have to be this way? Why do they have to be 19? Why can't they just be younger in general? How about one being 18 and the other being 20? Why do they have to be going to college? Why couldn't we have discussed this over PM instead of you deciding it?

Also, choosing the names? Yeah, means I don't have to find a name. Also means that you have a great portion of it written already in your head of how you want it to go... This is a general no go for me. Also, the name draws people in but the length pushes some away.

It seems two major details were missed. 1) They are all related, three of the characters are sisters, the other is their cousin(same age as the youngest sister). Each sister roughly two years apart. 2) They all 'suffer' from the same condition that runs in the family: nymphomania(the version explained).

Why not 19? What is wrong with 19? Figured that most people start collage around 18 or 19 years of age. The ages can be adjusted a wee bit, 19 just seemed like a good age to me They could very well have taken a year off, that would be open for discussion. The main point being that at the start of the scenes, they both have moved into the apartment that the four of them now share and are attending collage. As for why having to attended collage, it just seems like a good setup and reason for the four of them to be now sharing an apartment together, it could be discussed of course, but just curious, what is wrong with having them go to collage?

As for the names, you're right, they aren't really that important and can easily be changed. As for the length, I realize it's a bit long but at the same time I want to make sure things are explained properly with hopefully as little confusion/misunderstandings as possible.

Quote from: RedPhoenix on August 15, 2013, 08:41:44 PM
Oh, I also noticed in the thread you want someone who can commit to posting several times a week. This is going to automatically disqualify tons of people here.

What is the average posting rate for most people on E? Several times a week might indeed be a bit two much, but would like a least twice a week.

Thank you all for the advice and input, it is greatly appreciated and can never have too much!  ;D

I'll be trying to rework things a bit and loosen up a few things in the main post as well as clarifying just what is set in stone and a deal-breaker to change, and what isn't.

Kazyth

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on August 16, 2013, 02:37:47 AM
It's not that I do not want to compromise, but more than I want to find a coauthor who is just as interested in the ideas, setup and characters as I am, so compromise will not be needed. I've had these ideas for awhile, and honestly part of the reason for signing up to E was attempting this setup. I've had success with this setup in another RP community and have found a couple of awesome coauthors, but unfortunately they went poof and the community is pretty much dead.

Being unwilling/having no desire to change anything to attract a writing partner because you want exactly what you want as you have laid it out in your interest thread  is pretty much exactly not wanting to compromise.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing, you want your story a specific way because apparently you have played it out this way on some other site, but E isn't like any other site out there that I've ever found, as a literary community.

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on August 16, 2013, 02:37:47 AM
It seems two major details were missed. 1) They are all related, three of the characters are sisters, the other is their cousin(same age as the youngest sister). Each sister roughly two years apart. 2) They all 'suffer' from the same condition that runs in the family: nymphomania(the version explained).

Why not 19? What is wrong with 19? Figured that most people start collage around 18 or 19 years of age. The ages can be adjusted a wee bit, 19 just seemed like a good age to me They could very well have taken a year off, that would be open for discussion. The main point being that at the start of the scenes, they both have moved into the apartment that the four of them now share and are attending collage. As for why having to attended collage, it just seems like a good setup and reason for the four of them to be now sharing an apartment together, it could be discussed of course, but just curious, what is wrong with having them go to collage?

As for the names, you're right, they aren't really that important and can easily be changed. As for the length, I realize it's a bit long but at the same time I want to make sure things are explained properly with hopefully as little confusion/misunderstandings as possible.

What is the average posting rate for most people on E? Several times a week might indeed be a bit two much, but would like a least twice a week.

Thank you all for the advice and input, it is greatly appreciated and can never have too much!  ;D

I'll be trying to rework things a bit and loosen up a few things in the main post as well as clarifying just what is set in stone and a deal-breaker to change, and what isn't.

The problem again here E.F.A. is that the way the story is presented seems, as Rogue pointed out, like the characters are being forced together.  Which happens in stories, yes, but generally writing partners like to have a hand in that sort of thing as well.  Housing dilemmas and such can be fun bits to roleply.  Why not start them out NOT living together, and take a bit of time in the story to write why they might find it a good idea to share a place?  Discussions, worry, things leading up to it?  If you are just looking for this story to be smut without a lot of plot, then having everything prefabricated isn't as much of a big deal.  But if you want real drama for it, you are far better off letting the relationships build and flesh out.  Along with that, having them all be around the same age and attending the same college feels a bit forced.  Would they all get the same scholarships and such?  Why not ramp up the tension a bit, have one of them not be able to afford college, or decide not to attend, but willing to live with the others to save on rent?

Would she or shi resent the others after a while for advancing themselves when she/shi couldn't or wouldn't?  Would they resent her having more money and not having to study?  Would she be forced or pressured to pay more of the rent because of that?  What would she ask for in return?  I can see what you are going for, the shape of it, but honestly there doesn't seem to be a lot of depth to it as presented.  All from loving nurturing households, all arrangements already made for them.  The model references for others characters, the names.  I know you've said that you would take a look at being more flexible with those things, but still, put together as is it seems like it might fall flat with so many life speedbumps smoothed out to make it easier to focus on the sexytimes.

As for posting rate on E, I think the average per story is probably 1 post a week.  More for some folks, less for others, but many writers here tend to work a good number of hours, have husbands/wives and/or kids, other responsibilities.  And many folks have found that posting too often, or feeling that pressure to post more often than they can comfortably do so can cause story burnout rather quickly.

Hopefully I didn't come off as overly critical, that is/was certainly not my intention, but these were my thoughts.  Hope they help!
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Rogue

Quote from: Kazyth on August 16, 2013, 07:08:02 AM
Being unwilling/having no desire to change anything to attract a writing partner because you want exactly what you want as you have laid it out in your interest thread  is pretty much exactly not wanting to compromise.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing, you want your story a specific way because apparently you have played it out this way on some other site, but E isn't like any other site out there that I've ever found, as a literary community.

The problem again here E.F.A. is that the way the story is presented seems, as Rogue pointed out, like the characters are being forced together.  Which happens in stories, yes, but generally writing partners like to have a hand in that sort of thing as well.  Housing dilemmas and such can be fun bits to roleply.  Why not start them out NOT living together, and take a bit of time in the story to write why they might find it a good idea to share a place?  Discussions, worry, things leading up to it?  If you are just looking for this story to be smut without a lot of plot, then having everything prefabricated isn't as much of a big deal.  But if you want real drama for it, you are far better off letting the relationships build and flesh out.  Along with that, having them all be around the same age and attending the same college feels a bit forced.  Would they all get the same scholarships and such?  Why not ramp up the tension a bit, have one of them not be able to afford college, or decide not to attend, but willing to live with the others to save on rent?

Would she or shi resent the others after a while for advancing themselves when she/shi couldn't or wouldn't?  Would they resent her having more money and not having to study?  Would she be forced or pressured to pay more of the rent because of that?  What would she ask for in return?  I can see what you are going for, the shape of it, but honestly there doesn't seem to be a lot of depth to it as presented.  All from loving nurturing households, all arrangements already made for them.  The model references for others characters, the names.  I know you've said that you would take a look at being more flexible with those things, but still, put together as is it seems like it might fall flat with so many life speedbumps smoothed out to make it easier to focus on the sexytimes.

As for posting rate on E, I think the average per story is probably 1 post a week.  More for some folks, less for others, but many writers here tend to work a good number of hours, have husbands/wives and/or kids, other responsibilities.  And many folks have found that posting too often, or feeling that pressure to post more often than they can comfortably do so can cause story burnout rather quickly.

Hopefully I didn't come off as overly critical, that is/was certainly not my intention, but these were my thoughts.  Hope they help!

OMG Kaz thank you for explaining that for me! :) But yes that's what I was going for. This story has a lot of room for sexy fun times and drama. Nothing was wrong with what you had said. It's just one of those, why is that so... picked out?