Reconstruction and Reconaissance

Started by Silvester, June 15, 2008, 09:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvester

One way or another, you've found yourself on an Earth-like planet without any trace of civilization. It's basically prehistoric Earth right after the Ice Age - wild animals running around ready to be tamed or hunted, crop plants growing, mountains rivers, jungles, deserts, etc. The basic idea here is survival, romance, and rebuilding life. I want this to be pretty detailed and technical. We'd start with really basic things like making a fire (how, if you don't have anything but your clothes?), finding food, finding/making shelter... then eventually everyone could help build a house, divert water from a waterfall to make a crude plumbing system, build a furnace to work clay and metal, etc etc etc. We could tame a cow, or a horse, or catch and breed bunnies, or start growing corn or cannabis or something... Meanwhile, more survivors (new players) might be coming out of the woods to join the community... and all of this accompanied by romance, sex, and all that good stuff. Help me fill in the rest in the actual game :)

I guess this sounds a little like Survivorman, for those of you who know what I'm talking about. Except with romance and sex.

I want many people to play here, so we can actually have a storyline and lots of interaction between players. Creativity is a must in this one. I'm thinking a healthy combination of guys and girls would be nice so that everyone has a couple, but this is certainly not required. You're also welcome to join already as couples.

I haven't decided how everyone gets to this place yet, but I don't think it matters too much. We can just say there's a warp hole somewhere and people accidentally fall through for all I care.

I'm willing to start this as soon as soon as I get confirmation of interest from a few people.

*Note: I will be gone between June 21st and July 23rd, but if this game kicks off fast then maybe others can play and I'll just jump back in as soon as I come back. I think this game shouldn't need much GMing.

Sabetha

I'm not certain how accurate I can be with the agriculture/engineering, but I'm interested in playing!

Vandren

This sounds interesting.  As to the how . . . I agree that's probably not too important.  However, the why people are transported there is.  Since the logical thing for people who arrive on the world to do is to, eventually, attempt to figure out why they are there (or how they got there), the why would be good for at least the mod to know (doesn't have to be shared with players, obviously).

For example, the sense (once they discover things) varies depending on whether:
1) everyone was transported due to a totally random one in a million chance freak event
2) some power - aliens, government, etc. - transported them as a an experiment
3) some power - see #2 - transported them to learn about humanity as prelude to an invasion
4) some power transported them to secretly colonize a new world for whatever reason
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Silvester

Well, the "why" isn't really obvious on Earth either, is it? I mean, suppose these are all catastrophe survivors who happened to escape a destroyed Earth, or maybe they simply got warped back in time to prehistoric conditions due to some freak-of-physics accident. The "why" can be just as vague as it is in real life. Just live long... and prosper :)

Vandren

To quote Tom Clancy . . . "The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense."

Like I said, the "why" could just be random chance, but because the characters are likely to attempt to find out why they were transported (and here I'm assuming they all come from a modern setting and aren't natives to the world, whether it's Earth or not) then its always good for the person in charge to have at least that in mind.  Saves the retcon-ing and player frustration later.  ;)

The difference between the "why" on Earth and the "why" in this sort of idea is that the individuals involved are, presumably, not native to the world/time (depending), so something that is not evolution caused them to be there.  I'm not saying this needs to be made clear to the players at all, just that the person in charge ought to have a clear idea for when clues and other such things become necessary (and they will, if nearly three decades of gaming experience has granted any insight into how many people drawn to these sites think/work).
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Silvester

Escafel

I'll join in, and I have a slightly more specific setting if you'd like to discuss over a pm.
Surrender, or die in obscurity!