News:

Main Menu

Pricing Advice

Started by ladyofstories, June 30, 2013, 06:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladyofstories

Okay, I didn't mention this in my application, but in addition to my writing, I make jewelry. Nothing too elaborate, but it's pretty nice for what it is. (I don't do metal working with jewelry.)

I'm planning on starting up a business of mine I started a couple years ago called Skyelight Gems, and I need some outside the biological family, stranger advice on what would be a good price. I make rings for your hands, toe rings, bracelets, anklet, necklaces, and bookmarks. I'm also trying my hand at lanyards. Earrings aren't my thing because my hands aren't steady enough to make them.

I'm planning on selling pre-made jewelry, custom jewelry, and doing jewelry repair. Could you guys help me figure out some fair prices? I'd post a picture of some of my items, but I don't know how. If this isn't the right place to post this, let me know please?

Silverfyre

Perhaps do a price comparison versus other items similar to your own on sites like Ebay or Etsy?

Kazyth

Agreed.  While strangers can at times be something of a good sounding board, a market price comparison for items in the ranges you are looking to provide will give you a better idea of what people are currently willing to pay for products, from people who buy/have bought them.  Rather than from people who might be interested, sort of.  Or aren't actually interested but want to give an opinion anyway.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

ladyofstories

Okay, thanks. I actually looked on Etsy and I was charging the same price as another person for a ring.

Beguile's Mistress

Something to consider might be charging a slightly lower price for you product or bumping the price up a bit and offering free shipping or free shipping for orders over a certain amount.  You can adjust your pricing schedule once you've made a name for yourself and can offer deals to your original customers to build good will.

ladyofstories

I probably should have said this before, but my customers have been my classmates. My target audience is teenagers since I make nicer, but less expensive stuff they wear most of the time. I keep it strictly local and don't ship anywhere. I'm just starting it back up at a local level, thing of it as a jewelry version of the lemonade stand.