Previous topic - Next topic

Tick

Character Sheet Thread:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=126877.0
OOC
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=127149.0
Bridge
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=127113.0

In the year 2254, humans have managed to travel to a few planets within their solar system, but have been able to travel far distances in a reasonable time frame. The secret of faster than light travel would come a few years after the colony on Mars would claim to be a independent nation. Having long since aligned together into a single state on Earth, the moment the ability to cross the solar system in less than a day became possible, the coalition that dominated earth wasted no time in jumping to Mars and placing the new nation under martial law and forcibly integrating it back into a single nation. From this point on, humanity would refer to itself as the "New United Nations" after the original United Nations that had fallen apart in 2092

It took mankind no time at all to take advantage of their ability to bend space time and began to spread across the stars to relieve their overpopulation on earth. It was fifty years before the rapid expansion of the human race would hit a snag. Upon reaching their fourth solar system and nearly colonizing it fully, arguments began to break out from the new colonies who began to complain that their governments tried to dictate their lives from distances that would take over a week to travel, even with modern spatial bending engines. A new revolution broke out citing the origin of the United States of America and their reasons, as justification for their succession. The first solar system to declare independence was just the beginning of the United Nation's problems, two more quickly joined in on the idea, leaving the Sol system to fight on three fronts as several other systems decided to watch from a distance.

This war would continue for nearly twenty years in a stalemate as both sides would move in, and the other would push them back almost instantly, attacking quickly and on sight due to the fact that the engines of all the ships still had a few minutes, to an hour delay in arrival time. It was due to this unfortunate system of counter attacking that the first encounter with an nonhuman species would be the quick and immediate destruction three of their colony ships. While this was the rebel nation's fault, the aliens took this as an act of war by the entire human race and lashed out in force.

The humans were quick to learn two things. First, their technology was far superior to the aliens. Their ships were faster and strong from years of war, but this would quickly change due to the second fact. That being, the aliens were not one, but several different species who had bound together into a single state to live in harmony, and attacking one had brought them to war with humans in total thinking mankind to be warmongering savages. While this had some truth, the humans tried to resolve the conflict and work out a cease fire, but the language barrier proved to be difficult when they were adamant on the humans' extinction.

The war started out one-sided but slowly turned to an even battle. The outsiders' ships were many in number and used energy shields, something the humans had not worked out, using similar technology to the time space engines used for faster than life travel. Even with superior weapons, skirmishes became more costly for the humans. Every time they took a enemy planet, they did their best to work out the various languages used and relieve some of the hatred, to no avail. The war slowly died down as both sides became less and less willing to risk their fleet in the unending war. Humanity had been forced to pull themselves back into a single nation in 2366, despite a large amount of prejudice between both sides.

It would be a near century of fighting till 2443 when the language barrier would finally be broken and a cease fire would be gained. Hatred would be deep seated in both sides and they would avoid each other adamantly for many years. Both sides returned to expanding and ignored the other with vigor. The only reason the cease fire worked was due to the fact that nearly everyone had lost someone in the war due to the sheer time and causalities of the near endless fighting. It would be thirty years before the aliens and humans would eventually have two groups sit down and discuss a solar system they both wanted. The end result was a disadvantageous one for the humans, basically being told that they were responsible for the war, but it would be the first time the two group had spoken in years.

Eventually the two nations would begin colonizing the same systems and trading, though this was done by independent corporations. Eventually leading to a few groups that wanted to travel into deep alien space. The aliens, now known to be called the Vrec'Sevi in the best human translation to English, were understandably reluctant, but as the humans began to allow their citizens inside human colonies, they did the same. The core planets were still kept off limits for two dozen years before each group began to relax its borders further. Eventually, a new discussion would take place about their relationship, both sides wanting to put the war behind them. It would be several years before the humans would agree to join the Vrec'Sevi in 2491. From there, even with a rocky start, the various races of the alliance began to spread and grow together. While prejudice remained and hatred still sat in a few groups that made up the alliance, the coalition of aliens and humans flourished until 2574.

Part of the reason for the short jumps that were used for faster than light travel was a lack of fuel that could sustain the high power requirements of long distances jumps. While they could carry enough, they were not able to convert it from fuel to energy fast enough. A new material was found that never was given more than a test name but gained the nickname mythril for its abnormal properties. The humans had created it but the rest of the alliance immediately assumed it would be shared. Half the humans found this offensive and claimed the Vrec'Sevi was trying to get the humans to carry them. A few other races agreed that there was too much dead weight in the alliance and gave the displeased humans support. It would be less than a year from the discovery of the mythril fuel before a new civil war would take place. This one would be between a group of prejudice and hateful mix of humans, named the Alliance, and a few other races, and the Vrec'Sevi who were trying to sustain a form of unity. It was well known that the humans were the strongest race of the alliance, but even so, over a third stayed in the alliance and the alliance as a whole was able to take mankind on equal ground. Part of the problem was that the humans spread much faster and on their own, leaving their population much higher.

It is now 2580, the middle of Mythril War, and the Vrec'Sevi 's ace in the whole is in jeopardy. The refined and perfected form of Mythril was finished, and the lab was attacked shortly after, forcing the defense and transports to flee. Among them, the newly refitted Dreadnaught, Liege. Despite their best attempts, the ships were forced to pull back and in a last ditch attempt to get away, the Liege, with the last remaining scientists of project Adamantium, tried to perform a jump within dangerous range of the star of the system. In the jump, the Liege experienced abnormal power spikes and was thrown across the universe to a location not even mapped, damaged and broken.

Liege:

The Liege is a dreadnaught class ship that is designed to be large, heavy and self sufficient. It carries several squadrons of twelve fighters, max load of six squads. The main gun is a fine particle beam meant to punch holes in the thickest of shields and armor. Secondary guns are a series of mass accelerators that have enough power to do severe damage after a few salvos. The ship also includes missile tubes.

The inside of the ship includes a few factories for new fighter planes and mechs, an artificial farm and water recycling unit. Many systems were damaged in the fight, and more in the escape. Only half of the guns are working and despite the main gun being functional, using it would take all the power on the ship after the power grid was ruined.

Crew:

The Liege is a mix of various races that all have their own outlook on the war, and on each other. Humans are notorious for being the most disliked but are in many ways also respected as being one of the strongest. Humans as well have a sort of love hate relationship with the other species. Some humans love the aliens and see them as equals; some hate them due to long grudges in the past. The latter a bit rare since most people with this outlook went to the Rebel side during the war.

The crew is made up of those who are mostly considered rejects of the main army, so those who are sympathetic of the Alliance are possibly on board, along with people who have no qualms with the other races. A race could even hate someone other than humans for personal reasons.

If you want to play the Commander, or first mate, or a high ranked position(Marine Captain or anything of the like) please send me a message so we don't have multiple people doing it. If no one has taken it, I will give yout he go ahead, otherwise we might have three people writing long bios for something someone else is going to take.

Character Profile:
Name:
Species(if this is a custom species, please include a  brief description):
Age(keep in mind, with new medical advanements like nanotech and the like, human life spans would have increased to around two hundred years as the average lifespan):
Rank(pilot, commander, First mate, doctor, scientist, marine are all options, and if you have any ideas feel free to throw them at me):
Appearance:
Training:
History:
Extra info(opptional):

I am going to keep this a bit brief to not drown people in text just yet. But I am curious to who would be interested in a space epic style scifi plot. I normally go for a mixture of hard, soft and military scifi. But this time I am looking for a little bit closer to soft and military.

I am going to give a very vague and quick rundown of what I am looking for and if anyone else is interested, that would be wonderful.

Brief:

The idea is this a refitted dreadnaught class ship is forced to jump into combat immediately in an emergency, the crew is a bit of a mix of green, questionable and solid officers who were either assigned or requested on the ship. Due to the ship being somewhat old and raggedy, they put most of their unwanted soldiers on the ship.

Despite this, in the conflict they are the last ship still able to "jump" and try to break free. While doing so, they got dangerously close to the nearby star which threw off their FTL jump. As a result, it sends them to the opposite side of the Universe in a half operating ship. Due to the scenario, they must pull themselves together and keep the ship together, find out where they are, and get home.

They would have to make stops at various planets to search for minerals, fight off unknown beings of the area who perceive them as a threat, try to unravel the possible clues of a dead race. And try to stay sane with the crew they just met a few days ago.

Technology:
The tech style is going to use time space bending, or wormholes physics as their form of faster than light travel. Due to the power requirements, they can only do short bursts as the build up the power needed for a jump. I am not looking for perfect science on this since well, most people don't like hard scifi.

Weapons will vary, cartridge are like bullets but used primarily for cryo, napalm and high explosive rounds. Mass accelerators propel gas at extreme velocities acting as bullets. This replaces modern machine guns and rifles. Laser's are possible but mainly are used to split ships in half due to their high power requirements but ability to cut through metal efficiently. Laser's are not something used frequently in ground conflicts and is very impractical.

Aliens:

I would like to see a few different species in this, from anywhere from humanoid to insect people to androids. I am also willing to let players make their own races and culture for those races

Scifi Fantasy:
Psychics, cybernetic enhancements, mutations are all fine, within reason and should have some sort of downfall. Nobody should be able to tank a firing squad and walk away perfectly normal. If you can regenerate rapidly, you should be susceptible to starving since you are using all your nutrients to remake lost cells rapidly. Something like that. I have had really bad experiences with non system games where someone takes advantage of leniency to make a "perfect" character and trying to justify it with a loophole, so I am hoping we can all avoid that this game so no character just blows everyone else out of the water.

System:
No, I only know two systems, Pathfinders and Rifts, and I would have to modify them to fit and it would take much more work on my part that I don't think I can commit once school starts again, so I am hoping everyone can play a game without a system that one person is not glory hogging.

Sexual Content:
To be honest, I am not really looking for a heavy sexual content game right now. But I am not saying to make it flat vanilla, what I was thinking was simply have a second thread for something like "crew quarters" for everyone of that nature to be held. Or individual threads for different people. I haven't really picked out a format for how things will be organized. So for individual people it could end up anywhere from lack of sexual content to Extreme.

If we get enough people interested I will write up a full history and character creation format and everything needed. I just don't want to spend hours writing up all the information and have no one interested. I know this is not a very popular genre.

TheGlyphstone

Something in the vein of ST:Voyager or Stargate: Universe, then? Sure, count me interested.

Frelance

I am interested, I have been looking for something like this so I am glad to see you put something together.
Evolution is an arms race

Tick

Glad to hear it, but let's see if we can get one or two more people at least. I would prefer around six but if we get a decent group, no worries.

Frelance

I might no someone so I will see what they r up to.

TheGlyphstone

Cool. I'll check what they p up to and q up to, Tick can handle what they s up to and t up to. ;D 8-)

Andalon

Hold on.

Freeform game?

Sci-fi setting?

Kinda like Schlock Mercenary tech?

DIBS!

Erm... what I wanted to say, count me in. Don't mind the drooling over this one...

TheGlyphstone

We must have Schlock fiddly-bit widgets on all equipment now.

Andalon

Cold Heritage

I am tentatively interested. Could you describe - in brief, of course - the society our characters come from?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

RabbitJanitor

I'm Lance's friend. I'm in.

And if it's not to early.... Dibs on pilot.

Tick

Alright, I updated the first post with a new, more detailed plot. Finished it about at four so it might have an inconsistency or two or some typos, but please overlook them for now. I am exhausted, night all.

TheGlyphstone

Tick

Oh damnit, that was actually what I wanted. Alrighty then.

So Glyphstone has Chief Engineer.

Frelance

The fighters that the ship will carry. Is it just fighter craft or will there be support craft like the raptors from Battlestar Galactica mixed in as well?

Tick

Oh yes of course, sorry I wrote that really late. @_@

TheGlyphstone

If you're running it as well as playing, shouldn't you be the Captain?

Tick

I was trying to keep it open for other people to get involved. I could be the Captain, if you like though.

Andalon

I wouldn't mind another player being the Captain of he ship.

Personally, I would go for a Marine (maybe CO), or a scientist. I haven't decided on this yet, I will see what ideas I can come up with before making a final decision.

Tick

Andalon

Quick question, as I'm likely to go on the marine path:

Should we make up our gear and equipment, like weapons, body armour and such, or are you going to give us the details on that?

Tick

I gave you the basic info on how weaponry works. Grenades and mass accelerators are the normal, lasers are not. Any special weapons please run by me so we don't have super op characters with like.. a gauntlet that destroys atomic bonds.

Just include special weapons, for instance a wrist band that shoots minimissiles(within reason) is fine. Psionic implants or enhancements are needed as well. Since weapons can be switched out anytime you are on the ship, it isn't necessary to list all your gear. Just special training, weapons, and enhancements.

Try not to overload on special stuff to the point it just makes everyone else redundant. If we have to put a hardcap on specialized gear, I will.

ShadowFox89

Are you taking anymore? If so, I'll be happy to go Chief Science Officer.

Are anti-matter grenades epaulets allowed? ;)
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Andalon

I was actually more thinking of making some detailled info for gear, like this one:

HamTech Mk. IV Assault Rifle
The Mk. IV is the standart assault rifle provided to the Marines. It features a red-dot sight, as well as a retractable bayonet. With an impressive ammunition capacity of 60 rounds per clip, it provides some decent firepower and sustained fire at commonly trained firing patters. Using it on full auto although will deplete the clip within a few seconds, so short bursts are advised.

As it is used by the Marines, it can use several kinds of ammo. The most common one is hard slugs, which are able to penetrate most personal armour, and do some serious damage to soft tissue. The second common ammo is flechette. It has only little penetration compared to hard slugs, but is better suited for on board combat, where you do not want to pierce a bulkhead, risking that it will cause a breach to the vacuum outside. Other special, and rarely used, ammunition include incinerator rounds, which can set a target on fire, explosive rounds that are intended to cause collateral damage, or high explosive discarding sabots, intended to work against heavier armoured targets.

Just an example here, but I think you know what I mean.

SomeGuy

I'd be interested if spots are open, I like how things are shaping up so far with the updated plot.