Well I'm about to commit animal cruelty

Started by Inkidu, November 04, 2008, 01:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Well technically it's dead. So it doesn't get any crueler than that. :D
It's also a wasp that had the audacity to invade the room I'm paying a grand for.

Prepare to be dissected by two thumbtacks and a tissue!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

I didn't know they could still twitch after five minutes post-mortum.
Died from two ruptures in the abdomen. No broken legs or even wings.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

Jay

Put its head on the eraser of a pencil and place it outside as a warning to the others.

Inkidu

Quote from: Jay on November 04, 2008, 04:03:36 PM
Put its head on the eraser of a pencil and place it outside as a warning to the others.
That's the point behind putting it on the web. Just in case some wasps are looking for blog material. I love bugs and glass. That's how you kill a nest of yellow jackets.

Take one of those classic fishbowls and place it upside down over the hole to a yellow jackets. As they burrow in the ground. They're too stupid to realize its glass and they starve to death without ever digging a new hole. I'm sick like that. :D

Oniya

*looks around shifty-eyed*  I've sometimes trapped houseflies in glass bottles and left them there as a warning to others.  The lucky ones get the flyswatter.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

But if you make a demonstration out of a wasp only killer bees will mess with you. It's like shooting the green beret of the insect world with impunity. That or the pheromones will attract more. Not likely as it was just a stray wasp that somehow got up eight stories.

Caity

I found a honey bee in the bathroom today.  I haven't seen a honey bee in years... seriously.  I thought they'd gone extinct.  It was kinda dragging around, but I captured it in a cup and put it outside.  I don't want to be responsible for what might be the last honeybee. 

Caity

Oh.. of course I mean the *death* of the last honeybee.  Forgot half of my thought there. 

Oniya

We have a county fair every year, and I got to talk to an apiarist for a while.  His hives are doing fine, despite all the stuff in the news.  (Useful insects get the cup in my house too.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Caity

I'm glad to hear it.  But really, it's the first one I've seen in I don't know how long.

King_Furby

WD40 those bastards. i hate bees. I don't really go out of my way to kill bees, wasps or whatever. But if they are a little too close to home i have no choice. I am glad killer bees dont live where i do. I would never mess with a killer bee hive.

A power washer fricken owns wasp nests.

Kalen

Quote from: Inkidu on November 04, 2008, 04:11:46 PM
That's the point behind putting it on the web. Just in case some wasps are looking for blog material. I love bugs and glass. That's how you kill a nest of yellow jackets.

I don't know about wasps, but all the spiders perusing the site are going to love it.

Will

When I was a kid, we had a massive amount of bees out front, and I would stand outside and thwack them with a tennis racket.  Clearly, they weren't killer bees.  It was great fun.  Sometimes they would get stuck in the threading of the racket.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Inkidu

Quote from: Kalen on November 05, 2008, 01:36:17 PM
I don't know about wasps, but all the spiders perusing the site are going to love it.
Heh heh, insect/programming puns. :D

The Overlord

Inkidu, up until now I considered you just an opinionated conservative, and I won't hold that against you, but now I'm convinced you're a sick bastard as well.

If I whacked him I would have made sure he was dead and then tossed him in the toilet...hopefully not to wash down the sewer to sea and mingle with lead-tainted surf from China and become a gigantic mutant wasp, but I digress.

Flying stinging things I'll either usher out of the house or kill if I can't be rid of them, but with the spiders I tend to live and let live. The exception is the big ones...as a rule anything bigger around than a US quarter I put on the Can't Stay In The House list. The last big wolf spider I caught in the house I put a glass over and urged onto an envelope before releasing him outside.

This summer my mother found two humungous orbweavers in her garage...these suckers were about 4 inches diameter with the legs spread out. I just snared them in their webbing on a (very very long) piece of wood and let them go in the yard.

A few years back we were staying at a cabin in the Georgian Appalachians and I awoke with a scorpion on my blanket in the morning. Creepy yeah, but mind you these are not the Southwest desert scorpions in Clint Eastwood movies...this guy was barely an inch long.

Nonetheless, I gave him a rapid backhand and sent him spinning into the corner of the room. He seemed stunned for a second and then ran off into the shadows.

I didn't pursue and kill him though...he had all night to sting me but didn't. I consider it respect given...one predator to another.

Mathim

Oh, my god, this is such a great place to bring this up.

I had a friend back in high school who knew tons of weird stuff, I think he owned a copy of the Anarchist's Cookbook or something, but he was pretty sadistic. He'd take apart a pen so he'd just have the hollow tube body of the pen, and use it to smack a bee climbing on a wall, then, while the little bugger was stunned, he'd suck it up into the pen tube like a straw, and shoot the bee out like a spitwad at people. It was fucking awesome!
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Oniya

Okay, that would be really funny if he sucked too hard and the bee came out the wrong end.

Outside, I go by live and let live.  Inside, most critters get evicted, but I reserve the right to terminate ants, flies, and roaches with extreme prejudice.  This includes methods like drowning, fumigating, starving, and whatnot.  A little isopropyl on a cotton ball under a cup offs 'em nice and quick.

Spiders can stay if they earn their keep terminating ants, flies, and roaches with extreme prejudice (not that we've had roaches yet, thank gods!).  Heck, if I ever catch one of them in the act, I might even call the little one and introduce her to Charlotte.  If I ever find a praying mantis in the house, I'm naming it George.

Mathim

Oh, lord, I can't stand praying mantises. They just look so...fuckin' A. And spiders? My mom got a nasty, and I'm talking South Park at its worst nasty, spider bite that never went away. If I see one it's dead before the next clock tick.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

Quote from: The Overlord on November 05, 2008, 11:32:44 PM

Inkidu, up until now I considered you just an opinionated conservative, and I won't hold that against you, but now I'm convinced you're a sick bastard as well.

If I whacked him I would have made sure he was dead and then tossed him in the toilet...hopefully not to wash down the sewer to sea and mingle with lead-tainted surf from China and become a gigantic mutant wasp, but I digress.

Flying stinging things I'll either usher out of the house or kill if I can't be rid of them, but with the spiders I tend to live and let live. The exception is the big ones...as a rule anything bigger around than a US quarter I put on the Can't Stay In The House list. The last big wolf spider I caught in the house I put a glass over and urged onto an envelope before releasing him outside.

This summer my mother found two humungous orbweavers in her garage...these suckers were about 4 inches diameter with the legs spread out. I just snared them in their webbing on a (very very long) piece of wood and let them go in the yard.

A few years back we were staying at a cabin in the Georgian Appalachians and I awoke with a scorpion on my blanket in the morning. Creepy yeah, but mind you these are not the Southwest desert scorpions in Clint Eastwood movies...this guy was barely an inch long.

Nonetheless, I gave him a rapid backhand and sent him spinning into the corner of the room. He seemed stunned for a second and then ran off into the shadows.

I didn't pursue and kill him though...he had all night to sting me but didn't. I consider it respect given...one predator to another.

Unless I happen to be deathly allergic and I can't take the risk of it killing me. So don't call me a sick bastard for killing a damn bug. It is not a noble predator. It is not some lion or tiger. It is not a sentient being. It has no cognitive function other than to sting anything that breathes carbon dioxide on it. It does not respect me. It is simply a patch of nerves that works with a million other creatures just like it.
It is not a predator, it is a nasty little pest. That could have killed me. I think my life is far, far beyond that of a wasp. Even if I wasn't allergic. It is to stupid to realize clear things exist. It's only function in this world is to kill things. It provides no other use other than that which can be gained through dissection.

It was it or me and I will not hesitate for a second. Ever.

I will accept your apology now.