RPG/JRPG What are you playing now?

Started by Oreo, November 27, 2015, 03:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhedyn

Divinity: Original Sin. I think it would probably be more fun to play with another person because it's really set up for two players to be able to roleplay together in the game but it's still proving to be fun alone, particularly as you can set an AI personality for the second character you have to create.

Twisted Crow

I play it on my Xb1, though no one else on my friends list seems to play it. Really fun game, though my controller analog stick seems to drag every now and then when playing it.

Oreo

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Blythe

Playing Darkest Dungeon again--they released the Inhuman build, which came with a new class, some fixes/additions, and a new miniboss! ^^Should keep me busy for a while! They also changed up Heart Attacks, which I'm not sure how I feel about, but overall, still fun to play.

Mathim

Picked up Final Fantasy VII again on my PSN download. So much better now that I don't have to switch out discs or worry about disc condition. I can't believe nothing else like the materia system has ever been used again.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on December 06, 2015, 07:33:56 PM
Picked up Final Fantasy VII again on my PSN download. So much better now that I don't have to switch out discs or worry about disc condition. I can't believe nothing else like the materia system has ever been used again.
Eeeh because it's really painstakingly arbitrary at times, full of dead ends and other issues, but it has lain the foundation's for a lot of great systems. One of which I think was X's equipment system.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on December 06, 2015, 07:50:55 PM
Eeeh because it's really painstakingly arbitrary at times, full of dead ends and other issues, but it has lain the foundation's for a lot of great systems. One of which I think was X's equipment system.

There were too many limits with X's system as well and it was way too easy at a certain point to max out stats, unlike FFVII where if you wanted it, you had to work for it. I mean, in X once you put a skill on a weapon, that was it, it's stuck. At least with Materia, it was possible to remove any given one at any time and swap it out with something else. If and when I get my strategy RPG plans off the ground, my happy medium would be for a similar system except items are not expended in putting abilities on equipment, they're simply fitted to it and can be removed, but then the drawback is that if a weapon or armor or other thing is destroyed or damaged you would stand to lose those enhancement items along with them. I think too few games really have that high level of risk to them.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on December 08, 2015, 08:55:13 AM
There were too many limits with X's system as well and it was way too easy at a certain point to max out stats, unlike FFVII where if you wanted it, you had to work for it. I mean, in X once you put a skill on a weapon, that was it, it's stuck. At least with Materia, it was possible to remove any given one at any time and swap it out with something else. If and when I get my strategy RPG plans off the ground, my happy medium would be for a similar system except items are not expended in putting abilities on equipment, they're simply fitted to it and can be removed, but then the drawback is that if a weapon or armor or other thing is destroyed or damaged you would stand to lose those enhancement items along with them. I think too few games really have that high level of risk to them.
I think the problem is that it basically creates a grind mentality. I don't mind a grind when it serves its purpose, but when games expect you to grind it gets iffy. I mean VII's big pitfall was that if you really wanted to level up you just get the quickest double-exp gear and use it in your grinds even if it made you weak. Then you'd just swap to your good gear for serious fights.

It didn't really add additional strategy so much as an additional layer to the grind.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

DudelRok

Currently playing FFX off and on, but I keep switching between it and RF4... 'cause farming.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

Twisted Crow

Honestly, I don't really remember grinding much in my first go of FFVII. Although, I'm not gonna say that first fight with Sephiroth was a breeze at group level Lv. 40~ (when compared to max level). It was certainly do-able, though. Grinding only really felt necessary if I wanted all of the optional stuff (Knights of the Round, defeating the optional super bosses, the 'Omnislash' Limit Break, etc).

On the other hand, it has also been a really long time since I played FFVII... for the record.

Inkidu

Darkest Dungeon. Yeah, I'd call it an RPG. :3

"There can't be bravery without madness!"

Drake Valentine

Dark Cloud. It has trophies now, few of the PS2 release games for PS4 do. Don't think FFVII is one of them.

Also playing that Fat Princess Adventure game. >.>

>.>

>.>

What? You can collect gear, level up characters, and swap classes with a hat? Hell yea. ;3

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Oreo

I am so tempted to get Dark Cloud for the PS4, but am trying really hard to wait until next month.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Oreo on December 15, 2015, 08:37:57 PM
I am so tempted to get Dark Cloud for the PS4, but am trying really hard to wait until next month.

But, trophies~

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Oreo

Twisted Crow

Oreo

I really struggled today and decided to wait on Dark Cloud and got Omega Quintet instead because of the sale price. :P

Drake Valentine

SinXAzgard21

If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Twisted Crow

Starship Gemini 2 has been occupying my birthday to spend in introversion recharge. Fun combat, complete freedom and quite some depth for the "lite Space RPG" that it appears to be on its surface.

Drake Valentine

Dark Cloud is pretty time consuming. After getting Xiao, I now have to backtrack to level her weapon(haven't found another) up so she does some damage to the monsters since there is point where you can only use her in a dungeon and well, there are dragons and that swingshot one damage isn't cutting it.

la dame en noir

So like

I'm supposed to finish up The Wolf Among us, Infamous Second Son, The Witcher, and The Order 1886...

But i decided that a 16th playthrough of mass effect was a better idea.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Inkidu

I still haven't properly started the Witcher 3, I'd rather play Fallout 4. :P

Oreo

Quote from: la dame en noir on December 21, 2015, 06:25:54 AM
So like

I'm supposed to finish up The Wolf Among us, Infamous Second Son, The Witcher, and The Order 1886...

But i decided that a 16th playthrough of mass effect was a better idea.

I sooooo know this feeling. Not those particular games, but having four or five games going then fall back to a fave that I must play again. ;D

Holding to my guns and not buying Dark Cloud until the next paycheck.

This, because cool gaming cheer time of year. I love Lindsey and need to start Inquisition!

https://youtu.be/AuJnvC8voJY

la dame en noir

Quote from: Oreo on December 21, 2015, 11:10:05 AM
I sooooo know this feeling. Not those particular games, but having four or five games going then fall back to a fave that I must play again. ;D

Holding to my guns and not buying Dark Cloud until the next paycheck.

This, because cool gaming cheer time of year. I love Lindsey and need to start Inquisition!

https://youtu.be/AuJnvC8voJY

I also love Lindsey Stirling! <3
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory