News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Cyberpunk

Started by Zakharra, December 23, 2005, 12:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zakharra

I'm wiling to start a Cyberpunk game. I need several players. The game will have characters with stats and gear. It will be in the familer setting of Night City. but the time line will be slightly advanced. It'll be between 2030 and 2040. Anyone interested?

Muse

Hm... 

Gabriel Five-Falcons (solo).  Concept: Urban war zone teacher. 

Grew up in a corporate zone, studdied korean martial arts for physical fitness but was basicly a tall, fit, academic with a bit of Shian blood.  After finishing his masters in english with a teaching certificate and continuing his martial arts, he hooked up with a short-lived charity that, among other things, sent more qualified teachers to the urban war zones.  In the first year he got increasingly cybered up and learned to use a Nelspot Wombat to defend himself in the worst of the urban war zones.  In the second year, a student he flunked, strung out on drugs, blew off his left arm.  He survived and replaced it with a cybernetic, and spent a third year teaching, but this time, instead of just running the drug dealrrs off of campus, he started hunting them at night, bat man style. 

Turns out someone in a megacorp was backing the dealers and he pissed them off too much, had Gabriel fired and cut off from his family, forcing him into an even more shady life style. 

Is that good, or too much ethics and ideals ofr a cyberpunk? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Brandon

Im not very familiar with Cyber punk settings but I would be willing to look into the game. You can count me in as interested
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Zakharra

The game system is a easy one to learn. It's a d10 based game. Stats and rolls are a d10. Damage is usually a d6. There are no hit points. Everyone has the same hp, per say. But the better gear you have and stuff, the better chances of your survival.

The Cyberpunk setting is that of a corporate run(mostly lead) world. The coprs have alot of power and the governments are largely corrupt organizations. Think of the movies Johnny Nemonic, Blade Runner, Terminator type movies. The Mad Max movies. There are hundreds of films out that that convey the basic idea.

Muse. That sounds good.

The basic rolls/classes are thus: Solos (fighters), Rockerboys/girls (singers and the people that can influence by word. politicians, rockstars and such. Bardlike class), Netrunners (the hackers), Techies (obvious, the people who understand the tech and can fix/build anything from a car to your microwave, cyberware and guns), Medias (reporters. Wether print of video), Cops (rather obvious, although  besides the normal policeman, includes corporate vops, private eye/security and government types. FBI/DEA/ that sort of thing.), Corporates (the business men. young men and women doing what they can to inprove their chances for advancement in the comoany. Can have a ethical leaning or be as ruthless as they can.), Fixers (the criminal go to men. The ones that are 'in the know'. Mafia/Yakuza/Triad/Tong. Street gangs or organized crime.), and then the Nomads ( the wanders in the new world. Having no home other than the backseat of a car or truck. These are the migratory workers of the world. Travelling from place to place, always seeking work, never settling down.)

That's pretty much it. Anymore questions?  :)

Zakharra

Tech is a bit higher than what we have today. There being cyberware. There is also body scuplting. Which allows a person to have a  custom skinjob and be made more attractive. Also, you can be body sculpted to look like nearly anything human, nonhuman or anthropormorphic. Furries, elves and dwarves and such are alloweable. That has a cost though..  ;)

Natalie C. Barney

Could I be a COPORATE COMPANION [as in a beautiful and likely heavily body sculpted call girl that is employed in a big CORP to entertain the men and women of status sexually and socially- would have lots of subtler technology implants and look harmless save for some protection- like being good with a gun just in case]. Would have been adopted as an orphan, raised by her CORP, educated by the CORP and be a big and loyal CORP girl. So would be among the CORPORATES and not overly ambitious as she would have been groomed for a specific job. And one she likes.  ;)
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

Zakharra

Ok. There is a definate interest in it.  ;D  I'll get the game set up and the basics typed out.  Of those that have shown interest, please say wether you are familer with the system or not, and what role you are interested in.

Natalie C. Barney

Never played or saw the rules. But a female member of the Corporates that is a Companion for fairly high placed executives as a company perk- as noted. Will not be heavly implanted but might have fairly common interfaces and the like an executive secretary might have and some optional items but she is not going to be a freak- she has to look beautiful and all after all.

DO they have pleasure enhancements to make her work more fun- like artificial g-spots she can put in at parts of her body?  ;)
Natalie Clifford Barney

Zakharra

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on December 23, 2005, 11:03:48 PM
Never played or saw the rules. But a female member of the Corporates that is a Companion for fairly high placed executives as a company perk- as noted. Will not be heavly implanted but might have fairly common interfaces and the like an executive secretary might have and some optional items but she is not going to be a freak- she has to look beautiful and all after all.

DO they have pleasure enhancements to make her work more fun- like artificial g-spots she can put in at parts of her body?  ;)

Yes. It's called the Playbeing (tm) The sexual organs are hardwired into the pleasure centers. I'll post a list of the cyber/bioware that is avalible for PCs when I get the game set up.

Anathanasia

Ya, playbeings are...um, interesting, to say the least. And let's not forget behaviour modification chips (could go the full 'moddy' route from 'When Gravity Fails' for some insane personality altering software too...) to keep your sex toys well behaved and always willing and ready!

I kinda want to do the playbeing thing myself, without the behaviour mods, but I don't want it to be 'too common' in the team, so mebbe I'll do something else, me being familiar with the setting and rules and all that.

Zed (can I call you that, hehe?), I had another thought on the cop thing...Interpol? No worry about travelling then, and she could be a snooty French chick too. Y'know how those Euros feel about Americans, eh? :D Whatcha think?
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

Zakharra

Ok. the board is set up. Give me a few days to get the info typed up and out in.  The game is; Cyberpunk: The Low Road to Tokyo.  n the Heavy Exotic section. NC: Exotic Freeform.

Natalie C. Barney

Well there will be a dark side she's going to have punishment implants and likely controling software to tell the CORP if she does anything bad to the CORP. Maybe a video optical implant to send images to CORP security where she won't know but they will- well can't have their property get to uppity. I figure she would get a nice apartment, decent salary, lots of PERK points as long as she behaves (like vacation time at CORP pleasure resorts for herself) and be assured a lifetime contract with a nice retirement package. If she behaves. But she was raised strictly in the CORP and groomed for her profession so would be very loyal.

I was thinking she's a first generation of her kind raised in the Corp from an young age maybe even artificailly born and with genetic engineering to BE a Company Companion, others maybe in security and other areas in the company from her batch. Think of someone in the novel A BRAVE NEW WORLD she would be the happy Delta. She wouldn't have to work hard like a Gamma or think like a Beta or manage like an Alpha- just look ravishing, give pleasure and be loyal and she'll be taken care of nicely.

And yes she would have been conditioned to be bisexual and promiscuous- after all emotional attachments are bad unless they are to her Corp.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Anathanasia

I thought you were going to run this as a statted game, Zak? ???

Pumpkin Seeds

I'd love to take part in a cyberpunk game.  I loved the setting and think the system is awesome.  If possible, I'd like to play a Netrunner though I know that is kind of hard to work in since they mostly run solo.  I was thinking along the lines of playing her as a rich girl that got into the scene a little too deeply, and sorta got turned out by her family.  She's young and pretty "goofy", more focused on partying than actually surviving since she has a schewed view of reality.  Anyway, that is my idea but I know netrunners can be hard to work in.

Zakharra

Quote from: Anathanasia on December 24, 2005, 09:28:37 AM
I thought you were going to run this as a statted game, Zak? ???

It is going to be a statted game.  I'll get the PC creation set up soon. For skillpoints and stats and such. I'm new at this online GM stuff.  ;)

Anathanasia

Okay, I'm just a tich confused.

Here, where you are informing us the board is up you mention it's in the freeform section:

Quote from: Zakharra on December 24, 2005, 08:40:18 AM
Ok. the board is set up. Give me a few days to get the info typed up and out in.  The game is; Cyberpunk: The Low Road to Tokyo.  n the Heavy Exotic section. NC: Exotic Freeform.

Now, my understanding of freeform is that it's essentially statless. If there are stats, they're often simplified, and are generally just used as points of comparison, but no skill checks are ever actually made. Everything is sort of a consensus at most, but for the most part players decide what their characters can do arbitrarily, within a set of guidelines perhaps. Of course, that does not include deciding another persons action, or the results of an action your character would take against/with/on another persons character. Similarly, it's up to you to decide if someone's actions involving your characters are successful.

For instance, my character wants to remove your characters frilly underthings without you noticing (very high pick pocket? hehe). We wouldn't roll or anything (unless we decided too OOC'ly), I'd just pose trying to steal your panties out from under your skirt while you talk to the bartender. My post would not have 'result' of my attempted underwear theft, it would be left for you to decide in your post whether or not my character stole your lacey undergarments.

The advantage of freeform is it can run itself pretty well, given the right players. Less work for the GM, since players can essentially determine the results of each others actions.

A statted game, on the other hand, is run almost exactly like a regular tabletop game, only being online it's done either via email or forum posts. Usually it's a little 'freeform', glossing over easier rolls and skill tests simply for the sake of expediency, but yeah, everyone has a character sheet with hard numbers for resolving skill checks and combat. Dice come out, the whole deal, when needed, which is pretty much not done in freeform. In the example above, either I'd attach a roll to my post, or maybe the GM would handle all the rolling, and then let me and the person who's underwear I may or may not have stolen know the result of the action.

And sometimes games fall somewhere between the two to varying degrees.

I probably really didn't to write all that, I don't imagine anyone here is dumb. But it does explain my concept of the difference between freeform and statted fairly well. I always think of freeform games and RP a bit more like interactive co-operative fiction projects than actual role-playing games, simply because the players have more meta-control over events.

Personally, I would rather have a game that was more heavily statted than not. I'm just a bit tired of freeform as conflict in freeform can be notoriously hard to resolve, since both parties are often so sure their character would 'win'. That may very well not happen here, but it's something I've run into too many times and I just really want to avoid it. Really.

Zakharra

Oops.. My bad. :-[   It WILL have stats, but I also tend to run things a bit freeform too.  Things like combat will be run with stats. That is a determination of the skill of your PC, and things that are important to your PC, like the main skills of said PCs. ie using the skil in more than a normal way.

Natalie C. Barney

So is there a "cute babe diving behind the huge guy (or deadly hot looking gal) so he (or she) takes the brunt of combat" skill? LOL  :-*
Natalie Clifford Barney

Zakharra

Yes. It's called Dodge and Escape or a good Athletics roll.

Anathanasia

Quote from: Zakharra on December 24, 2005, 11:01:47 PM
Oops.. My bad. :-[   It WILL have stats, but I also tend to run things a bit freeform too.  Things like combat will be run with stats. That is a determination of the skill of your PC, and things that are important to your PC, like the main skills of said PCs. ie using the skil in more than a normal way.

Sounds like you mean that we won't need to roll for normal, run of the mill crap like driving to the corner store for milk, unless it's a drive under heavy fire? If so, that sounds way oh-kay!  ;D

Thanks for clearing it up for me Zak, much appreaciated.

Zakharra

Quote from: Anathanasia on December 25, 2005, 12:26:55 AM

Sounds like you mean that we won't need to roll for normal, run of the mill crap like driving to the corner store for milk, unless it's a drive under heavy fire? If so, that sounds way oh-kay!  ;D

Thanks for clearing it up for me Zak, much appreaciated.

Yup. You got it.  ;D

Zakharra

If anyone has any problems in posting on the CP thread, just let me know, ok?

Muse

I still don't get a reply button, sweet ebon lady. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zakharra

Hmmm.. I'll look into it tommorrow.