Am I the only person who doesn't hate Creepy Crawlies?

Started by LtRipley, July 23, 2013, 12:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oreo

*has to giggle a bit* If I had to estimate from walking around my house there are approximately 20 times the amount of daddy long legs as black widows, and there is no lack of either. If I lived in a swamp you'd think the house belonged to Black Water Haddie. There are spiders here, spiders there, spiders lurking every where. I don't even turn on the water faucet without running a twig around behind it..just to make sure something is not lurking. Pump house and water heater sheds, it's either black widows or long legs, never both in the same enclosure. Maybe they got some prejudice of their own going on. (Imagines mama spider talking to her babies about urban legends of the black widow... little multi-faceted eyes wide in terror staring around at her..."They eat their own babies?" *gasp, gulp, legs trembling*)

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Formless

* Wants to concentrate on the topic ... but with Oniya's boing boing boing avatar and Oreo's avatar ... His mind isn't thinking about the crawlies. * ::)

LtRipley

I always had wolf spiders all over the place when I was growing up, they're poisonous but no more than like an ant bite, they're small tarantulas, but huge compared to most house spiders. Never bothered me. I have never actually been bitten by a spider.

Actually the only insect I've been bitten by are ants and wasps... I hate wasps with a passion. those sucks are MEAN.

And the cock roaches that would come into our house (which was in the middle of the woods) were like super buff forest roaches that weren't scared of anything! They'd even try to chase you!

Observing Trifles

Quote from: Atroxa on July 24, 2013, 09:42:18 PM
And the cock roaches that would come into our house (which was in the middle of the woods) were like super buff forest roaches that weren't scared of anything! They'd even try to chase you!

The ones around here are incredibly hard to kill. I used to spray with a bug barrier that, in Arizona, would do a good job of discouraging roaches and other nasties from coming into the house. The roaches around here in Florida, on the other hand, are much hardier. I'm convinced that they take shots of the same bug barrier when I'm not looking.
|| the hunt ||

my, my, those eyes like fire;
i'm a winged insect, you're a funeral pyre.
come now, bite through these wires;
i'm a waking hell and the gods grow tired.

LtRipley

When I'm in Alabama, southeastern cock roaches are no joke! They're tough little bastards... in Louisiana (where my family is from) they these giant pine beetles that look like cock roaches on steroids and those things really will run at you x.x

Oniya

Quote from: Atroxa on July 24, 2013, 09:42:18 PM
I always had wolf spiders all over the place when I was growing up, they're poisonous but no more than like an ant bite, they're small tarantulas, but huge compared to most house spiders. Never bothered me. I have never actually been bitten by a spider.

Those get the cup-and-card.  It's probably best for everyone, as they tend to run around at floor level - which is prime hunting territory for the local fuzz-bucket.

Oh, and jumping spiders are just plain adorable.
Just look at this face!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oreo

*squeeees* I love those little jumping rascals. I shouldn't be mean and make them jump though. I have never had one jump toward me.

We also have these little buggers:Dasymutilla. I see maybe one a year, but they are so pretty. I never tried touching or catching one though since their sting is supposed to be quite painful.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

LtRipley

Quote from: Oniya on July 25, 2013, 01:02:17 AM
Those get the cup-and-card.  It's probably best for everyone, as they tend to run around at floor level - which is prime hunting territory for the local fuzz-bucket.

Oh, and jumping spiders are just plain adorable.
Just look at this face!

We left them alone, they killed the mean cock roaches... though I will say I killed one once when I opened my bed room door and one was sitting on it so it ended up just a few inches on my face, happened to have a book in my hand and smack!. Scared the bejeezus out of me. We didn't have cats, just outside dogs, so didn't really have to worry about that.

I love jumping spiders! So cute!

Look at this little guy!

Quote from: Oreo on July 25, 2013, 01:25:34 AM
*squeeees* I love those little jumping rascals. I shouldn't be mean and make them jump though. I have never had one jump toward me.

We also have these little buggers:Dasymutilla. I see maybe one a year, but they are so pretty. I never tried touching or catching one though since their sting is supposed to be quite painful.

Oh yeah, cow ants/velvet ants (which are actually wasps), we get those around here, I've seen a few but not many and I've never been brave enough to mess with them, interesting to watch though, they're not scared of anything!

Oreo

Herman took up residence about three weeks ago, living in the cranny of my espresso machine. ;D

HERMAN

Sabby

Dude. Where I live, you can't afford NOT to hate them. The fear keeps me alive >.> I actually got trapped inside my home for a few days because a Golden Orb Weaver had set up camp in my doorway. I even tried climbing out my balcony, but I wouldn't be able to get back up.

rustytiger

Once in a while if they catch me off guarded I will be frighten but most of the time no. I'm playing on being a zoo keeper so I really can't have such fears about animals because well then I won't be able to work with them. Though I will say that spiders give me the creeps all the time especially when they make webs over my bed.  ;D
I'm slowly coming back after years long hiatus. Still going through all the new rules and updates so I'm sorry if I mess up.

Ons & Offs
Absences
Idea Thread

Braioch

Rodents I'm cool with, I mean in the pet sense. If they're in the house, I'm off to get traps, the non-killing humane ones that is. I'll find a grassy, tree covered area and let 'em go there...away from my house. I've had pet rats before and they're nifty, occasionally mischievous and crafty, but hey.

Reptiles and Amphibians don't bother me at all, I like snakes and it's neat watching them eat. Most lizards I'm just wary around because I've known a few aggressive ones, so I just watch myself. (Funnily, it's hamsters I'm not fond of, every single one I've ever been around has bitten me, EVERY ONE) Other than that I don't mind them in the least. It's just in the wild, I'll avoid any snakes as ya never know...unless they're garter snakes, then I'm gonna get 'em and hold 'em, because I never outgrew that 8 year old who liked catching snakes, handling them, scaring people with them, and releasing them.

Insects. The stinging kind, being bees, wasps and hornets, I just avoid them. Not out of fear or anything, I'm just not really keen on pissing one off, so I'll just go around and leave 'em be. They come near me, I wave them lazily away and they leave me be. Flies in the house die, as do ants, they're insects that will infest the shit out of your house, so they die. Spiders I typically leave alone unless they're particularly gross and especially on me, I tend to react with squishment, but that's not always the case, sometimes I just leave 'em be. Earwigs die because eww.

Centipedes?

If I can, I will burn their little hell spawn ass with fire and send them back to the pits. Hate.
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Zekromnomnom

For me, I'm not so much scare of creepy crawlies as I am paranoid about them touching me. And I like to qualify my fear by usually explaining that it's not so much fear as being startled. Most of the time, when I see a particularly big spider, I will try to avoid it or take it outside. If it's small, I leave it be. The exception to this is like when I go to my aunt and uncle's house where in the summer, there are SO many spiders. And these particular ones are ugly/creepy because they look hairless and their...ass part (don't remember what it's called) looks big and bloated disproportionate to the rest of their bodies and it makes me think of pictures I've seen of ticks that were full of blood. I had to go get something from a shed on their property once and when I looked out the window it was covered in layers of web and I saw like twelve of these spiders, which gets to my second rule. If there is a swarm of them, if the means is available to me, I will kill the shit out of them. Because then it doesn't startle me anymore, it's just fear, and often irrational fear of solitary creatures ganging up on me.

For instance, one of my old apartments had an ant problem and I couldn't figure out where they were getting in. But when I saw one ant, I knew there would be a shitload more, so I would always kill them. Earwigs? Those little fuckers have bitten me on several occasions, and when I find one, say taking a lawn mower out of a shed, I find a LOT of them usually. My new apartment seems to have a few centipedes/silver fish (the lighting is bad and I can't tell the coloring usually) and with centipedes, I just kill because I never felt like looking up which ones are deadly to humans and just err on the side of caution. Also, one time when they were doing this dumb ass construction project on the town square, there were these giant halogen lamps that were like stadium lighting that they left on at night for NO FUCKING REASON for months and months while they finished the project. And it attracted praying mantises. And seeing one of two occasionally would have been fine, but there were some nights where I would be hanging at my friend's apartment adjacent to the square and just going up the stairs and to the car, we would see like three scattered around the sidewalk, two on his car, and then like three more just hanging around the deserted street. We would shoo them if they were in the way, but sometimes they would fly at us an it would freak me out, so I would kill them if they did that.

As for cockroaches, I would here all the horror stories and sayings and urban legends and would never bother to research what was true, so I would just kill them if I saw them.

Reptiles don't freak me out, as I had a lot of exposure to them when I was young. Rodents kind of freak me out, but again, I imagine swarms of them. Also, I've heard them movie through walls in houses and that was unsettling.

Sody

I don't get scared of bugs or reptiles unless they are something that could kill me. Most spiders and bugs are easily swept outside or captured in a plastic cup and dropped in the bushes. I would rather take the minute to let the critter outside than spend a minute cleaning a dead critter. My Dad always taught me that it was mean to kill something if I did not have to.

Lilias

I don't hate creepy crawlies, I just don't want to share living space with them. I can sit and watch ants march in line, or caterpillars do that funny slidey walk thing, but I don't want them anywhere near my family's food or beds. Cockroaches do exactly that kind of poaching, so they die on sight - thank goodness we don't get them here in the UK. A gecko has taken residence in my mum's kitchen, back in Athens, and is allowed to stay because it takes on some of the exterminating work.

We live in a semi-rural area, so there are obviously lots of little critters scuttling about, and my son loves them, like any five-year-old. We get snails everywhere when it rains; generally we step around them, but just five minutes ago I had to take one off the inside of our front window - little scamp climbed up through the little opening I had left for air through the rainstorm. It will be safer on the front lawn. It's almost the time of year when field spiders get really busy, and I'm fascinated by their work, especially those webs that seem suspended in mid-air. (But if Incy Wincy decides to swing down from the ceiling instead of the waterspout, it goes splat!)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

Quote from: Lilias on August 25, 2013, 07:29:45 AM
A gecko has taken residence in my mum's kitchen, back in Athens, and is allowed to stay because it takes on some of the exterminating work.

I would find this terribly adorable.  Unfortunately, the cat would view it as a new toy.  >.<
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Serephino

I don't mind spiders as long as they stay a decent distance away from me.  It's when they try and land on me in the shower they die.  Anything that crawls on me dies.

Madriv

A truly ugly little common house spider took up residence in my bathroom window, in the space between the actual window and the exterior storm window. I didn't pay much attention to her at first. She spun ugly little cobwebs and somehow managed to catch enough prey to make two egg sacs. Both hatched into clouds of tiny spiderlings but they all died. It started to bother me.

When she made a third one that failed, I decided to figure out how to get her more prey. I tried to adjust the storm window from the outside and ended up discovering a GIANT WASPS' NEST tucked up in the frame. I got stung quite a lot and it sucked big time. In the dark of night I returned and killed the wasps, but I didn't disturb the spider.

Wasps gone, I opened the storm window so more bugs could get into the spider's area. I left my bathroom light on at night to attract moths & gnats and she had some significant meals. Then she made a fourth egg sac and disappeared.

The last sac hatched a few days ago and it looked like all the spiderlings died again. But last night, as I was about to turn off the bathroom light, I saw one teeny, tiny spider enjoying a gnat that had been buzzing against the glass a minute before. And like a total goober I threw my hands triumphantly up to the heavens and cried, "MY BABY! I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!" and scared the hell out of my cats.

So that's what I'm like with spiders.

RedPhoenix

I'm honestly not sure if I find that adorable or horrifying. :)
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Braioch

Quote from: RedPhoenix on August 25, 2013, 01:28:57 PM

Bit from column A, bit from column B
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Oniya

Quote from: RedPhoenix on August 25, 2013, 01:28:57 PM

I'm going with adorable.  I grew up with the animated version of Charlotte's Web and a little book called 'Be Nice to Spiders' (about a boy who gives his pet spider, Helen, to the zoo.  At first the zookeeper is upset about the spider webs everywhere and orders them 'cleaned up', but then the animals start suffering from the flies and he has a change of heart, so that Helen and all her children end up as welcome guests and helpers.)

Lilias

Quote from: Madmartigan on August 25, 2013, 01:22:38 PM
and ended up discovering a GIANT WASPS' NEST tucked up in the frame.

Yikes! :o I love honeybees and (especially) bumblebees, but just mention wasps and hornets and I reach for the hairspray-turned-flamethrower.

At my grandparents' house, they used to make fast the shutters in the upstairs windows at the end of the summer, when the kids and grandkids left, as the old folks lived mostly downstairs. One year, one window was overlooked, and next summer there it was, a papier-mache colony the size of a dessert plate. >_< The house was inaccessible on that side, so there was no choice but to (try to) spray the wasps from the inside. We were extremely lucky that nobody was stung and no wasps escaped into the house.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

RedPhoenix

Oh and on the subject of crawly things in general. I'm usually okay with spiders, as long as they stay away from me. Tarantulas are too big to be trusted to stay away from me. I don't kill them, but I do beg people to help me catch them and get them outside, far away from me. I am even okay with scorpions. Sort of.

But when I see one of these things....

...yeah, the entire area code knows about it from how loud I scream.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Lilias

o_O

As if I needed more arguments in favour of living in a cold climate...
~Wendell Berry