Harry Potter: Spreading Shadows (EX interest check)

Started by Google, December 30, 2013, 09:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Google

It has been seventeen years since the fall of the Boy Who Lived at the hands of the Dark Lord. The fugitive Harry Potter and his two associates had attempted to break into the Ministry of Magic to steal an amulet from an employee there but they were unable to escape in time... the Ministry was locked down and when the Dark Lord arrived he executed all three of them, curious that it took the Killing Curse twice to put down the Boy Who Lived permanently but in the end Harry Potter was dead, his death demoralizing the entire Order of The Phoenix and though resistance continued for several years nothing of substance was ever achieved.

As the rest of the Wizarding World watched silently the Death Eaters were quick to establish and formalize their control over Great Britain, Muggle Borns quickly becoming little more then slaves to Pure Bloods while those of Mixed Blood heritage were second class citizens under the new Regime.

Six years later the expansion started, it is believed that there had been agents of the Dark Lord in France, Spain, and Germany for a significant time, sowing the seeds and preparing the way for the swift take overs... Voldemort had set his eyes on the rest of the wizarding world. There is no formal resistance to what he is doing, around the world his policies of Pure Blood superiority has a large number of supporters, especially among those in positions of power.

Now the hungry gaze of the Dark Lord has fallen on North America, a new generation of wizards prepare for the struggle ahead.

The year is 2014, you are a witch or wizard in New York City, perhaps you fled from Europe in the face of growing Death Eater power or maybe you have live in New York for most of your life.

Are you working to prevent the coming coup or do you want to see the Dark Lords power spread?

Its up to you.

This game would be a darker game, falling into the Extreme category, a setting where slavery is a very real thing, where breeding programs have been brought into existence in an attempt to increase the number of witches and wizards in the world, where the line between terrorist and freedom fighter is a blurred one.

Canon characters would be in the background and may be used in the game itself... but only under certain circumstances...

Its a chance to explore the Harry Potter universe if it had taken a darker and much nastier turn, an AU where your imagination can run wild.

At this point I am only seeing what interest there is, seeing who else would like to be a part of the game and of course seeing what other ideas someone might have.
Psychopaths cannot feel love.
Not in the traditional meaning.
To a psychopath DOMINATION is the closest sensation to love.
Though it is much greater.
Its intensity is all consuming.
(Note... I am a touch under the weather so replies may be slow for the next day or two, I do apologize.)

RainyHigh

Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories

Google

... Well aside from the fact that Cowboys were involved in that image (Go Eagles) I am immensely happy to have found at least one supported
(Note... I am a touch under the weather so replies may be slow for the next day or two, I do apologize.)

Nymphadora

A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Google

Alright we got two... now I did not have a set size in mind but I did want to have a few players to add variety and what I should have mentioned earlier is that I am looking for either moderately literate or just literate players... at least two strong paragraphs per post would be considered a minimum.

RainyHigh

Quote from: Google on December 30, 2013, 09:38:43 AM
... Well aside from the fact that Cowboys were involved in that image (Go Eagles) I am immensely happy to have found at least one supported

Eff yeah Eagles. I am not a cowboy's fan but that man expressed my excitement appropriately.

But yes, this RP I am very interested in, especially since it is AU with original characters involved.
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories

Joslyn

I'd also like to express interest, this sounds like a great setting. Personally I'd prefer that my character be on the side of the hopeless battle against encroaching magical fascism, but if the game ends up focused on the other side I'd still be up for it. I will keep an eye on this thread, really hope you run this.  :-)

Athos

I'm going to express some tentative interest as well.

Current roleplay status:  Looking for new stories.

"Weep," said Athos, "Weep, heart full of love, youth and life! Alas, I would I could weep like you!"

Google

To clarrify a little more... this won't be a one sided game... or at least I don't want it too be, where one side is clearly going to win. The Facist Death Eaters of course have the advantage of organization and have been planning for a while but I want to depict both sides... a coup on the horizon but the "good guys" out to delay it, prevent it if they can... and maybe find a way to turn the tide.

Faustus

And here I was just thinking about how nice it could be to get involved in a Harry Potter RP. Then this idea rolls up!

Oh yes, consider me curiously interested!

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Google

Fantastic... we got quite a few people expressing interest now so I would love to hear what ideas there might be for this particular game.

Not only for the plot but characters... and anyone who might want to play a canon character... well I do have a few that I would be willing to allow into the game but I already have thoughts in place for them... so anyone who has a canon they are curious about working in please PM me with the character and any idea you might have for them.

Please don't be offended if I don't allow that particular character... plenty of room for originals.

kckolbe

Willing to play OC or canon, though prefer OC.  Will there be any kind of system used for this?
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Google

Freeform, focus more on the interactions between people rather then the combat...

kckolbe

Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Google

Well I am sorry to hear that
Does anyone have any ideas?

Joslyn

I'm glad to hear it will be freeform--I don't mind a system game from time to time but that's my preference.

I've got a character idea sort of gelling in my head, I'll PM you the background for feedback when it's done.  :-)

Google

Wonderful, I think I am going to cook up sheets for the characters tonight... well my tonight or maybe my 1 AM... but I want to hear any ideas anyone might have.

Google

Also... not had the best luck with games I have run in the past... so if anyone would enjoy helping this out and helping me get it off the ground I would appreciate it.

PM me if this is you

Google

Name:
Blood Status: Pure Bloods in this case will be considered anyone whose parents and grandparents were witches and witches (some families might hide a less the completely pure pedigree so this is more about what their blood is seen as), Mixed bloods will be anyone who had a parent or grandparent who was not a wizard or witch, and of course we know what Muggle Born is.
Affiliation: This one is a little more tricky but essentially its about where the character stands in the coming conflict, I am trying to work out names for the factions but I am thinking Neo-Death Eaters for the Voldemort Supporters, Order of the Scar (named in honor of the Dead Martyr Harry Potter), and of course those who are not yet affiliated)

Personality: A single good paragraph will suffice for this, give us some insight into the characters mind and heart

History: Two solid paragraphs as a minimum, give more if you feel inspired. Please keep in mind that Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger all died in 1997, the year of the game is 2014... so reflect characters age if you are going to put in the events of the AU into their history.

Anything Else: Do you want to include something else into this that isn't covered? Go right ahead and add what you like.

A rough character sheet right now, will be refined a bit but if you are just so eager that you need to start working on your character then you can start fleshing things out

Google

Ideas... I have gotten a few ideas and I appreciate every one of them but please feel free to post any thoughts you have for this game publicly... nothing is really set in stone yet.

LOCATIONS
Overall Setting would be New York City, a cultural hub of the North American Wizarding community, seat of the North American Wizarding Council (Each state and the providences of Canada elect a representative and from those representatives a chair person is elected by his or her peers (equivalent of the Minister of Magic) There are 59 Members of the Council and one Chair Person at any given time... and of course as there is with real life politics there is a fair amount of corruption both large and small.

Now in New York I was thinking there would be a Diagon Alley Equivalent... a large magically hidden area where people will be able to shop for their magical needs
A Head Quarters for the Neo-Deatheater Movement (very likely a large penthouse or private clubhouse hidden away from those who aren't... worthy of membership), the Resistance (Name to be determined and suggestions welcome) would have their own meeting place as well (Not having the influence of the pro Voldemort faction and of course having to worry about being killed would likely have a more low key meeting place, I was thinking they might meet in an abandoned warehouse)

Of course NYC is an immensely diverse location with plenty of room for other locations, settings and areas so if you have one in mind then speak up.

I was also thinking there would be limited access to the places that have fallen to the Dark Lord, most likely because a Neo-Deatheater needs to meet up with the higher ups in the organization or maybe a member of The Resistance trying to smuggle a survivor out.

Caela

This looks like an amazing idea. Color me interested. :D

Frank Reshman

Holy crap this sounds incredible.  Let me know when this game starts to pick up and I'll have a character sheet for you!

Google

Alright well keep an eye out because I want to get it started in the next day or so while I still have a few days off to hammer out ideas... please give me any input you might have

Caela

Quote from: Google on December 30, 2013, 05:43:37 PM
Alright well keep an eye out because I want to get it started in the next day or so while I still have a few days off to hammer out ideas... please give me any input you might have

I have a question...are we looking at playing students in a NY based version of Hogwarts (perhaps with Teachers and Staff forming some sor tof Resistence cell) or at playing adults (maybe N. American Ministry types) trying to decide what the hell to do with the psycho Europeans being aimed at their borders?

GhettoMagick

YESSSSSSS!!! I am in love with harry potter, I know every spells ever mentioned everywhere, from the games on gameboy color, to the books, from the movies, and all the little side games.
I am very interested in the game but the new york setting through me in a loop. I am going to ask a lot of questions,
1. Is the adult wizarding age still 17 or is it 18 since we are under american wizard laws
2.is there a lot of secret places between places hidden from muggles, like central park is actually fifty times bigger but because of enchantments it seems smaller to muggles.
3. muggles; are there different terms used in america then the uk or are words like muggle and the spell work the same worldwide?
4. clothing?
5. transportation?
6. is there like a mirror new york underground for wizards or are we using the same place?
7. is there a school or is every character of age?
I have like 3 ideas for characters right now.
bookmarked
I wanna be loved by you. Just you. And everyone else too. I wanna be loved by everyone. ;o)