A World of Leagues

Started by Jag, January 16, 2010, 01:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haibane

Jets seem slightly out there in my mind... I think in terms of whirling blades, steam exhaust, clockwork, clattering exposed mechanisms and H G Wells.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Haibane on January 18, 2010, 12:19:10 PM
Jets seem slightly out there in my mind... I think in terms of whirling blades, steam exhaust, clockwork, clattering exposed mechanisms and H G Wells.

Oh.. just requires more pipes spewing fire/smoke.. :D And a few more hammerblows to make it work right of course. Cause the primary tool of fixing planes is.. a HAMMER. (I know.. retired avionics tech!)

Jag

Plot? What plot? *snickers*

For the most part the beginning will seem kind of slow because the Leagues are formed with the idea in mind 'in case something happens'. So dull moments are part of it.

Since we got rid of the Doctors in the German team it'll actually have a lot to do with a bpdy swapper *eyes Callie*. No Callie's character is not the bad guy, but does have dealings with her character as well as the English League. That will be the reason the those two teams come together (I don't think the Japanese team is going to take off).

I'm on break at work, so I can go into much detail as I have to go now. I'll give some more detail when I'm off work.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Remiel

Name: Oliver Crumble
League: English
Played By: Remiel
Height: 5'11''
Weight: 185 lbs.

[n]Description:[/b] Oliver is a moderately handsome, ubiquitously optimistic, unnaturally keen young man.  His hair is always in a state of mild disarray, and his cheeks, although beardless and moustache-less, sprout immense sideburns the color of burnt umber.   He lacks his left arm, having lost it in an industrial accident years ago, but has created a synthetic replacement using steam-driven and gearwork technology.  While pleasant of demeanour, he lacks a gentleman's social skills, and tends to lose interest or concentration quickly unless pacified by one of his everpresent scientific projects.

Character Biography:   Orphaned at an early age, he spent most of his youth in squalor, living at a workhouse where he met another famous Oliver, by the name of Twist.  When Oliver Twist escaped the workhouse for the streets of London, so did Crumble,  except his path took him instead to an iron foundry and the apprenticeship of one Charles Babbage.   Mr. Babbage was a predominant philosopher, inventor, and mechanical engineer, most known for his work on the Difference Engine.  When he died, the childless Babbage left most of his fortune to Oliver, who had also inherited his love for all things mechanical.  At the age of eighteen, while working on an automatic garment-presser, he activated the machine prematurely, causing it to crush his arm in a tragic accident.  Undeterred, he simply invented a mechanical prosthesis, using gearworks and steam pressure, in place of his lost limb.  His genius appears to know no bounds, although it is not uncommon for his inventions to have some small but spectacular flaw.

Equipment: A tool belt, and his ever-present goggles.  He is rarely seen without a spanner in his hand.

Doktor Sleepless

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 18, 2010, 11:54:34 AM
Complete with french (sorta accent) and an electro-sword? That sounds totally cool. LOL.

Hah, no, but maybe a Cajun one?

Quote from: Michi No Sora on January 18, 2010, 11:58:14 AMI just need a profile Doktor. Doesn't have to be big and flashy. A pic and basic info (I can expand it with fluff text and such if need be).

I will write up something later, yes?

Quote from: Haibane on January 18, 2010, 12:19:10 PM

Yeah, no jets, thanks. :) Or maybe steam jets!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Doktor Sleepless on January 18, 2010, 11:10:58 PM
Hah, no, but maybe a Cajun one?

I will write up something later, yes?

Yeah, no jets, thanks. :) Or maybe steam jets!

Oh hell yeah.. Cajun accent works. Can't have all the americans speaking with a new england/new york gentleman's accent!

And I could see the two of them verbally fencing...

Jag

Sorry for not getting the threads up last night. I got very ill and was forced into bed early by the husband and in-laws. I'm still a bit fuzzy headed and I've lost my voice (great cause they put me on the phones starting today at work. V_V).

I'll try to get the English thread up before I leave for work (I hope to get them both up).

Just post your profile up here when it's done, Dok. ^__^

Jag

English thread is up: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=58437.0

Remiel and Haibane you two can post, but you are sitting out in a horse cab till Bond comes to get you to introduce you to Mina and Orlando.

I will get the American thread up after work.

Haibane

Here's Mary. I hope she's okay, Michi.

Character Name: Mary Kingsley
League: British
Played By: Haibane
Height: 5' 5''
Weight: Medium build... though 'padded', 'blousy' and 'buxom' are things she gets called by men who resent her success in a man's world.
Character Biography: The thing you notice at once about Mary is her eyes. They pierce right through you. They seem to penetrate into you and see you from the inside. Her expression is sharp, shrewd and intense though her body language is somewhat lazy and introspective. If you choose not to engage with her in conversation but espied her from afar she would seem like any other moderately well-off, moderately bored wife of a society gentleman. Discourse with her however, reveals a mind of diamond sharpness and a wit of equally dangerous edge. Mary has travelled over much of the British Empire and her outlook is not that of one who would see all black Africans attending Christian chapels. Brought up as any other well-to-do Victorian child with nannies, kindergartens and perambulations in the park, for some reason Mary at a very early age, chose to be heard as well as seen. The death of her botanist-explorer father at the age of fifteen (her mother died in childbirth) led Mary to take up the reins of her father's failed career and equipped from a not inconsiderable financial legacy she headed off to deepest darkest Africa to both explore and learn.

Mary travelled far and wide over much of black Africa, west to east to south. She served as a doctor at the Siege of Ladysmith in the First Boer War and recovering miraculously from Typhoid fever brought on by infection in the military hospital there went on to travel through Kenya, Egypt, Iran, Persia and Afghanistan, making a personal pilgrimage to see the Dali Lama in the Himalayan foothills of Nepal.

She has authored three books "Travels in Africa", "The Culture of the Negro" and "My Walks With the Dali-Lama". The first treatise completed her father's unfinished work and has become the standard botanists and entymologist's 'bible' to African species of flora and fauna. Her second book made her many enemies in the church and in the corridors of Whitehall since she proposed that African culture should be left alone and the meddling of missionaries was doing untold harm. It was during the writing of this book that Mary went native. Her third book is a more personal journal of her spiritual discoveries and is essentially a philosophical work.

In Africa Mary 'went native' taking on tribal dress, which for females did not mean very much at all (utterly shocking!) and forsaking the English, German and French missionaries who were there to convert the heathen to Gods True Faith. Mary preferred to see the Africans in their own culture, including polygamy, and to this end studied and was initiated into the practices of a witchdoctor. While she rejected human sacrifice she espoused many of their shamanistic practices and it is said that her recovery from Typhoid was due to a protective ritual. Mary is 51 yet all who meet her for the first time would place her at no more than 30 years of age, another puzzling facet of her background which may also be attributable to tribal magic.
Personality: A little cold at first "Oh, not another boring man who'll tell me my place is in the kitchen," she opens up soon enough to those that show her respect. At society events she can be very talkative but is generally reticent about her time in Africa. Mary is fastidious about her appearance and dresses appropriately at all times. In a Zulu corral this might mean just a cluster of strings of beads but in London it means full and proper attire, hatted and corsetted. When travelling abroad she usually resorts to riding garb - pith helmet, blouse, hunter-jacket, jodphurs and boots.
Equipment: Usually a box of "botanical and general research" goodies (which in fact means "witchdoctor bits"), plus her easel and watercolours, she also has her fathers Remington HPSR (high-pressure steam reciprocating) .308 calibre rifle and is handy with an army-issue Webley & Scott Mk.IV Break-Top .455 calibre revolver as well. If all else fails, she's good at shouting.

Haibane

Oh, by the way, Michi, I need to mention. I usually write in the first person, past tense (see any of my game posts for the style). Is that okay here?

Jag

Both are fine Haibane. ^^ If that's how you write, then that's how you write. So long as you're not using chatspeak and junk I'm fine with it.

Callie Del Noire

My my.. seems the English league is bolstered by a lot of english women's yelling at the men. LOL. Looks to be a promising group.

Jag

It seems about even. Two men (Orlando and Oliver) and two women (Mina and Mary)...though both Mina and Mary seem to be more dominate personalities (though I enjoy pushing Orlando around >.>).

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Michi No Sora on January 19, 2010, 11:27:57 AM
It seems about even. Two men (Orlando and Oliver) and two women (Mina and Mary)...though both Mina and Mary seem to be more dominate personalities (though I enjoy pushing Orlando around >.>).

Been trying to figure out who Selene would have correspondence with. (Miss Murry sometime in the past I"m sure, I'm thinking Jacob might have mailed Allen YEARS ago about the use of 'special materials' in ballistics).

That is the hard part.. moving from a modern set of mind to the 'correspondence' outlook of the era. I'm sure she's have few (thankfully) encounters with the detestable Mr. Bond, and am curious to see who is his equivalent in the US is. Too early for J Edgar.. (and he's definitely be a 'look down his nose' type)

I do see a sorta rivalry with groups like the Pinkertons...

Transgirlenstein

You just like pushing Orlando around cause you like pushing me around. ;)

Let me know when I can post..and link me
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Transgirlenstein on January 19, 2010, 01:20:45 PM

Let me know when I can post..and link me

Poor Orlando.. in bed with Mina and getting smacked around for a wake up. :D

Callie Del Noire

Sweet..he's even got his 'alignment and calibration' tool in hand.

sinera

Hmmm... If Dok's doing an aviator, I suppose I shouldn't do Amelia - she'd be redundant.  Let me look into which of my hero/ines are from that era (or before).
O/O | A/A | My Intro | Fairytale Requests
Apparently some people don't read my O/O before adding me on MSN/Y! - so I'll say it here: IF YOU DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE FROM E, I WILL NOT ACCEPT BUDDY REQUESTS. Please read my O/O before PMing me with ideas, thanks.
Best IRC cybersex come-on line EVER: "I see you're an erotica writer...So, do you ever do any realtime collaborations?"

Jag

Okay...I got ushered straight to bed again last night to rest. I'm still rather ill. My voice is nearly completely gone after being on the phones yesterday. I'm sure after today I won't be able to talk at all,  but I need the money.

Quote from: Transgirlenstein on January 19, 2010, 01:20:45 PM

Lies! All lies! >.>

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 19, 2010, 11:36:14 AM
Been trying to figure out who Selene would have correspondence with. (Miss Murry sometime in the past I"m sure, I'm thinking Jacob might have mailed Allen YEARS ago about the use of 'special materials' in ballistics).

Just remember, how long ago was Selene actually Jacob? Allen would be the oldest (pushing probably 110 around 1912). Think they would of probably of known your character as Selene when they visited Arkham a few years earlier. Maybe just known each other in passing. She probably wouldn't of got along with Mina too well since they are both dominate women. Allen maybe acting as a buffer between the two of them to keep verbal and possibly physical violence to a minimum.

Quote from: Doktor Sleepless on January 19, 2010, 01:44:22 PM
I found this image for my character; I'll add a profile later.

<snip>

Works for me. Just before you actually post (which you'll be able to soon) to give us at least a character name and some info if you don't have all the profile together.

Quote from: sinera on January 20, 2010, 03:35:05 AM
Hmmm... If Dok's doing an aviator, I suppose I shouldn't do Amelia - she'd be redundant.  Let me look into which of my hero/ines are from that era (or before).

Amelia might still be good since the mind frame of most people is still kind of a 'women can't do that because they are women. Go cook something.'. Which would make her a rather strong woman (like Mina and Selene).

Jag

Oh, I will be setting up a section in the profiles for NPCs like Bond and the American Correspondence (I have one picked that probably no one has ever heard of, but he works in my opinion).

Jag

American thread up...not my best work...but I'm still light headed. ^^

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=58521.0

You two can post when ever you want and I'll respond as needed.