'Land of the Free?' No longer?

Started by Callie Del Noire, January 16, 2012, 03:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

http://www.readersupportednews.org/opinion2/287-124/9448-the-us-is-no-longer-the-land-of-the-free

I read through this a couple times before I considered posting it. This is an OPINION piece, but it brings up some points. I have long had misgivings about a lot of things on the list, as have a lot of the people I served with. We swore to uphold and defend the Constitution in service and the actions that have been done 'in the interests' of the people in that last 10 years are in my opinion positively Orwellian.

I wonder what the next 10 years will bring and have resolved to do more to speak up against these sort of actions.

Vekseid

I like to remind people that a century ago, the Supreme Court rules that it was legal to arrest people for distributing Communist propaganda. Which was likened to yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

Things have been worse.

I do, however, feel this country needs a new Bill of Rights. Preferably one that both Libertarian and Progressive elements can get behind, because anything less would be vulnerable to attempts at division.

Callie Del Noire

Sorry Veks,but the extreme ends of both groups you cited couldn't be wiling to agree that water was wet.

I agree we need to reinforce our civil rights before we give them away under expedience.

Vekseid

Progressives and libertarians agree on many things when it comes to most sorts of freedoms, and do work together on occasion. Libertarians working with the CPC managed to create a rather embarrassing moment for Republicans last year.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Vekseid on January 17, 2012, 01:53:59 AM
Progressives and libertarians agree on many things when it comes to most sorts of freedoms, and do work together on occasion. Libertarians working with the CPC managed to create a rather embarrassing moment for Republicans last year.

She did say the more extreme ends of both groups - cooperation is in itself a concept of moderation, so I doubt the fringes Callie was referring to were involved. Besides, ganging up on the GOP as 'enemy of my enemy' is one thing, actually cooperating on something as fundamental as rewriting the Bill of Rights is another thing entire.