Is there a way to stop chrome from saving pictures in WEBP format?

Started by Formless, March 06, 2020, 08:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Formless

So I think after chrome's recent update, whenever I try to save an image, be it a jpg, jpeg or gif, it saves it as a WEBP.

Now I don't know what platforms accept WEBP uploads, but Imgur doesn't seem to accept them on my end.

And I can convert each file I download to whichever format I want, but it takes sometime, and sometimes, just magnifies the file's size.

So is there a way to revert Chrome into saving the images into a proper format?

Thank you in advance.

Beguile's Mistress

I don't know if this will work for you but it may offer you some inspiration for an alternative.

I use Paint - the simple one and not the 3D version - for saving some of my pictures, especially if I'm in my IE browser.  You can copy the image into Paint and save it to your hard drive and then for E move it to the Wiki.  I'm not very conversant with formats for saving images so this may be an exercise in futility for helping you.

Despairs

There is an extension for that in the chrome store, it's called Save Image As You Want, you can save images as JPG, PNG and WEBP. You can also use an online file conversion tool, one of them is zamzar, which allows you to convert images into JPG, PNG, etc.. There is currently no way, that I know of t get google chrome to save images in JPG and PNG. If I find a solution, I will inform you.
---> Click here to visit current request thread for pairings with plots as well as ons and offs.<---
Note: Strictly  homosexual pairings as the main focus in stories bore me, however I am fine with it as side pairings as long as I write for the males  in a relationship with each other, or the two  males involved with each other and the female in a polyamory relationship.

Status: May be slow in replying to messages due to online Uni and job hunting.

Uni graduation: 8/24/25.

Geraint

For what it's worth, the Wiki here will upload some WEBP files, though (at least on Firefox) it complains voluminously in the process and refuses to make thumbnails at all.

Strangely enough, it seems to  handle moving (gif type) WEBP images with less fuss than still ones (but still without thumbnails).  I suspect that has something to do with there being two different types of files (varying by amount of compression) both tagged as  .WEBP

A WEBP Angel for BeMi and hosted here.

Mostly though, I convert into PNGs in Paint (though it does not preserve either motion or transparency in conversion to PNGs or GIFs) 

edit:  Also, I don't know if Chrome does it, but I am seeing an increasing number of files downloading with .webp simply tacked on after .jpg   (e.g.: file.jpg.webp which the wiki won't load at all)  For those files, you can simply delete the .wepb part and they display as .jpg and load on the wiki well.

Formless

Much appreciated everyone.

Still images are pretty solved using the extension Despairs referred to.

And using paint if you're not comfortable with Google Chrome also worked.

The problem that remains now for me is GIFs. The extension does not work for them, and the only option so far is to convert them through any of the free image conversion websites. Though the size of each file doubles or triples in some instances.

Beguile's Mistress

Nowherewoman

You can also cut and paste the page into another browser and dl from there, or, brute force method:

right click on a blank part of the page and select 'view page source'

CTRL+F and search .jpg

It's a bear finding the right one if it's a page with a lot of images, but it's often a useful way for getting pics from catalogs, for example, that rotate or auto-zoom and won;t let you open the pic in another tab normally.
My eyes are a window to the storm that's getting close.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

Formless

Quote from: Nowherewoman on March 06, 2020, 09:27:21 PM
You can also cut and paste the page into another browser and dl from there, or, brute force method:

right click on a blank part of the page and select 'view page source'

CTRL+F and search .jpg

It's a bear finding the right one if it's a page with a lot of images, but it's often a useful way for getting pics from catalogs, for example, that rotate or auto-zoom and won;t let you open the pic in another tab normally.

Using links on other browsers does work! It has its own inconveniences to me, but I am not complaining as these issues are specific to where I live. ::)

Now using the page source? Gotta say it makes me feel like a debauched hacker. xD

Thank you, NWW.