Attack at Tetrarch! (Interest Check)

Started by MagicalPen, March 23, 2013, 03:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

Tetrarch was burning.

Smoke billowed up into the night sky, lit by the fires below. The smell was almost overpowering. The cackle of flames, the collapsing of buildings, all added to the mayhem.

But this was not supposed to happen!

Tetrarch was nestled on the South Bank of the White River. It was a Frontier Towen, nestled on the northern reaches of the civilized world. All sorts gathered in Tetrarch, a once small village that had expanded in a haphazard manner. The center of the town was easy enough to follow, with its neat streets, but outside of that the place was a maze short of the Main Road that headed South. Tetrarch was also never supposed to be attacked. It was well away from borders with other nations and nothing had ever wandered down from the mountains to the North West. They were impassable and unihabitable. The White River, which sprung from the Mountains, was equally impassable for hundreds of miles, until it was well down in the South Lands. Tetrarch was the exception.

Some crazy soul had managed to cross the river at Tetrarch. A ferry had been set up and it opened up the untamed Wildnerness on the North shore. Hunters and Trappers and Explorers had all set out seeking their game. But to travel more then a day or two into the Forest was dangerous. Only the most skilled hunters every ventured out that far in search of the rare pelts they brought back.

The 13th Legion had famously marched into the Wilds some 10 years before. They had left on a misty morning, disappearing into the fog...never to have been seen again. The Hunters and Trappers speak of People in the Trees, but no remnants of the 13th Legion have ever been found, their fate a mystery to all.

But Tetrarch was not supposed to be attacked! The town was not even fortified, due to its rapid expansion, save for the Stone Fort that overlooked the bend in the river that the Ferry crossed. All danger had been expected on the small village that had sprung up around the Ferry Landing on the North Shore, with a small wooden fortification set up there to protect the homes from the dangers of the Wild.

What am I looking for, you may ask?

-Dedicated Players, who won't disappear with out notice.
-Characters: Whores, Soldiers, Hunters, Civilians, Thieves, People of Ill Respute - basically anything and anyone that might take up residence, or be passing through, in a town like Tetrarch
-Races: Humans for sure, but I won't be happy if everyone submits an Elf for a character. In fact, in the next post, I will post Acceptable Races along with a Description.
-Class: See Characters - pretty much anything goes
-Magic: You'll need to convince me if you want a Character with Magic. Magic in this world is limited and rare, little more then Hedgewitches and Healers.
-Themes: Many. Expect everything from the mundane to the extreme.
-Relationships: Pre-existing and developing. Pre-discussion on pre-existing relationships would be needed. An incestuous brother/sister Fighter pair? Count me in. Old war veterans? One-time enemies? A famous thief?

If at all interested, please post a response here!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

MagicalPen

[Reserved for Information]

Acceptable Races:

Humans; No description required - humans cover it all, every shape and size and demeanor.

Elves - Heralding from the vast forests of the East, the Elves are known to be an elegant race, more in tune with nature and less destructive. The women are known for their beauty. Long lived, they tend to be smaller then humans, while also being more graceful. Finesse and Speed, along with great eyesight, are their greater attributes.

Dwarves - Heralding from the Backbone Mountains in the West, the Dwarves are more likely to be seen in the mountains then anywhere else. Many have moved inland to make their living as blacksmiths in the Human Kingdoms. Short and stocky, they are ripe with muscle and are among some of the best Heavy Armored units in the World.

Orcs - Once seen as THE 'Enemy', Orcs have been defeated and mixed into the other Kingdoms. They are the largest race and the strongest and a match for Dwarves in heavy armor. They are, however, not the most intelligent of Species and this was part of their downfall. Their villages are often like those from ages past, made of mud and straw. They are often found employed as bodyguards for the rich.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

MagicalPen

Accepted Characters

[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Character Age:[/b]
[b]Character Sex:[/b]
[b]Character Appearance:[/b]
[b]Character Race:[/b]
[b]Character Items:[/b]
[b]Character Strengths and Weakness:[/b]
[b]Character Skills:[/b]
[b]Character Background and History:[/b]
[b]Characters Reason for being in Tetrarch:[/b]

CONNER O'FEARGHAIL
Character Name: Conner O'Fearghail

Character Age: Actual - 18, Appears - 18

Character Sex: Male

Character Appearance: Refer to Picture.

Character Items: Chainmail vest with localized plate armor, padded leather gloves, leather pants with leather-armored greaves, boots, Iron Helm. Heater Shield with Family Crest, Family Engraved Longsword, dagger. Traveling Rucksack: (Waterproofed, contains change of clothes, food, waterskin, flint-and-steel, wetstone, bedroll, sewing-needle).

Character Strengths and Weaknesses: Hubris - especially in regards to his family. Fighter - very skilled all around fighter. Stubbornness - when he is set in his ways there is no stopping him. Narrowmindedness - has been focused on the small picture for so long he does not see the big picture anymore. A Hard Life - always expects the worst conditions, does not know how to relax or take comfort in others. 

Character Skills: Horse Riding, Sword + Shield Fighting, Weapon + Armor maintenance and repair, Command, Map + Compass Reading, Tactics + Strategy

Character Background and History: Conner O'Fearghail was 8 years old and living in Wittenburg, a quaint village in the warmer southern regions, when his father marched North and into Infamy. Captain Cearbhall O'Fearghail, a seasoned veteran of two campaigns, was leading his first campaign. Married, a father of two boys (Conner and Cathal), Captrain Cearbhall was about to become Legend, and for all the wrong reasons.

Captain Cearbhall O'Fearghail was the Commander of the 13th Legion. Tetrarch was the mustering camp for the Legion before they marched off into the Northern Wilderness, to bring civilization and order to the Wilds of the North. They left camp on a misty morning, fading one by one into the gloom, never to be seen of or heard of again.

Conner well remembers the day the Messenger came. The Messenger was long overdue which set Conners mother to worrying. His father had promised to send word once they had established a base camp, but that word never came. The Messenger only brought news that the Legion was missing. Nothing more was heard from that day forth and Conner spent his days wondering where his father was. Even at a young age, Conner understood that 'Missing' did not mean 'Dead', and that since his father wasn't 'Dead' there was still a chance of finding him.

Cathal, Conners older brother, was soon a Legionnaire himself, gaining a small rank upon joining the Army, though the O'Fearghail name now had a sour taste to it. He was never going to attain the rank of his father and was always treated with a level of distrust. The disappearance of the 13th Legion was blamed on its Commander, Captain Cearbhall O'Fearghail, and its ill-luck was now associated with the same name. Cathal lead a charge in the Battle of Hodors Pass, sacrificing his life and those of the men who had grown fiercely loyal to him, to save the life of the entrapped Commander. Respect and Honor was restored to the O'Fearghail name, but it was too late for Conner.

Conner had grown up with blade in hand, a Master-At-Arms constantly training him with its use and those of other weapons, along with tactics and strategy. It was hoped that one day, both O'Fearghail brothers would attain rank in the Legion and bring greater honor to the family. For Conner, this was only ever going to be a dream. With the disappearance of his father and the sudden death of his brother, his mother was griefstricken and forbade him from joining the Legion. She had already lost too much and could not bear to lose another son. Conner grit his teeth and increased his practice ten-fold, feeding his anger and grief into everything he did. His mother had forbade him from joining the Legion, but not from finding his father.

His mother died a year later from her grief. A winter cold had worsened and made her bedridden until she slowly withered away. At the age of 15, Conner was now alone on his families estate and now the Master of the house. Being a Steward was not for him, however, so he left the estate in the good care of the families caretaker - it would pay for itself and continue to provide a livelihood for those who worked its soil - while Conner joined the Black Fist, a Mercenary Company.

The Black Fist taught him more in the next 3 years then he had learned before. He honed his skills, saw his first combat, and soon people gravitated towards him, a natural leader. With coin in his purse and battle experience behind him, he decided it was time to head to the North and find his father.

Characters Reason for being in Tetrarch: Conner is seeking his father. Arriving in Tetrarch, he has taken up residence in an Inn. He is looking to form a small party to accompany him North, into the Wilds, as he knows he can not to do it alone, even with the company of a former Black-Fist Mercenary. He is unaware that his plans are going to change suddenly due to the attack on the Town.

Additional Notes: While Conner is seeking a Party to join him to the North, other Characters do not have to be interested members of this Party.

Logan Marshall

Character Name: Logan Marshall

Character Age: 24 Years Old

Character Sex: Male

Character Appearance: Flowing wavy blonde hair. See picture for further description.

Character Items: Traveling rucksack containing twine and sewing needle, sharpening stone, food, coin, Sleeping Roll and red cloak, waterskin. See picture for clothing.

Character Strengths and Weaknesses: Battlefield Intelligence - is always aware of what is going on even in the heat of combat, able to influence with such ability. Dual-Wielding Weapons - armed with sword and battle axe (instead of a shield), provides a two fronted attack. Where Sword is useless, Axe excels (and vice versa. Stamina - tied into dual wielding and years of fighting, his stamina goes above and beyond that of the average man. Paranoia - used to living life on the edge, he finds it very hard to relax even in the best of circumstances, also trusts few people. Coin - A mercenary always goes where the coin in the pockets run deeper.

Character Skills: Dual Wielding Sword and Axe. Weapon Maintenance. Armor Maintenance. Bartering. Athletics. Running.

Character Background and History: Logan Marshall was the youngest of three brothers, born to a Veteran and his Tavern Maid wife. One could say that fighting was always in his blood. Growing up, he was often the brunt of his older brothers play-fights. Always outnumbered and always out muscled, Logan made it a point to be quicker and faster then everyone else. It allowed him to outrun his brothers when they became more violent and the quickness allowed him to dodge their blows. But with it came his lifelong paranoia, of always being on edge around everyone, never knowing when the next blow would come. Over the years he has developed the ability to see the actions of a man shortly before they make them and he has grown aware of everything on the battlefield, knowing that one attack is often followed by another.

Both of his brothers - 6 years older and 4 years older respectively - went off to join Mercenary Companies at the age of 16 each. Like all Mercenaries, they would go through two years of intense training while squired to veteran Mercs. They would start at the bottom of the rung and have to work their way up the ranks before being made full Mercenaries at the age of 18, able to join whichever Company they wanted at that point. The coin was far better then joining the Legion and one could live life as they wanted. Logan, of course, set his ambitions on such goals as well and followed in his brothers footsteps. Especially after what happened to them.

Logan was only 14, which made his brothers Liam (18) and Lachlan (20) full Mercenaries, when he last saw them. The two had managed to stick together and joined the same Company - The Red Stag - before taking a new assignment in the North. They were attached to the 13th Legion due to the Red Stags penchant for fighting in woodlands, their leather armor stained red as their calling card. It was the last anyone ever heard of from those who went into the mists that fateful day. It did not deter Logan and he strives to follow in their footsteps. Its been 10 years since that day and now Logan finds himself as a Free Mercenary, taking coin and work where and when he can get it.

Logan joined the Black Fist Company, where Conner was squired to him. He quickly saw the potential in the lad and the two became close friends, despite their age difference. In combat, Logan was more then happy to fight by Conners side and soon found himself taking orders from him. When Logan learned of Conners heritage, and who his father was, he agreed to acompany Conner to Tetrarch as he had also lost family to the 13th Legion.

Characters reason for being in Tetrarch: Seeking to find answers to the disappearances of both Brothers.

Additional Notes:

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

MagicalPen

Updated with some Race Information. Just go with the picture.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

MagicalPen

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Darkmoon

Hello,

I would be interested in playing a half-orc mercenary-for-hire. I'm open to having this character be hired protection or a lifelong bodyguard to another character in the party. Fundamentally, I'm talking about a brutish warrior, somewhat tempered by human blood he inherited from his orc-raped mother. He would be a specimen of pure strength and would carry a large, jagged, nasty-looking two-handed battleaxe. Further details of description and background can be worked out as other players sign up.

lore

oh ho ho a half orc for hire you say? Iiiiineresting -tents fingers-

I'll take up a human, I think. She might have some halfling blood mingled into her family tree, but nothing too prominent. She just looks the part of a petite woman. A cartographer and field illustrator by trade, she makes her living by wandering into various wilds and selling maps and catalogs of plant and animal species. How could she resist the pull of the North shore? Eccentric, adventurous, a little scatterbrained, and too smart for her own good.

Darkmoon

Quote from: lore on March 23, 2013, 07:20:08 PM
oh ho ho a half orc for hire you say? Iiiiineresting -tents fingers-

I'll take up a human, I think. She might have some halfling blood mingled into her family tree, but nothing too prominent. She just looks the part of a petite woman. A cartographer and field illustrator by trade, she makes her living by wandering into various wilds and selling maps and catalogs of plant and animal species. How could she resist the pull of the North shore? Eccentric, adventurous, a little scatterbrained, and too smart for her own good.

It seems to me a wild-wandering, petite mapper could use a half-orc mercenary down on his luck to ward off vile critters and viler humanoids. He might even have stuck around for some time for a small fee to get by in light of the fact that most people would be put out by the idea of trusting a half-orc with their protection or anything else, for that matter.

MagicalPen

Liking the ideas so far.

Keep them coming.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Wargtass

Orcs playable eh? Interested for sure. I'm green to the bone. I'll write up a character but reserve myself so that Humans have a pass, seeing as there is already a half-orc in the making. Could be interesting to have some sort of rivalry there though, full blood against half-blood, perhaps some sort of friendly competition?
O/O

Darkmoon

Quote from: Wargtass on March 30, 2013, 11:11:37 AM
Orcs playable eh? Interested for sure. I'm green to the bone. I'll write up a character but reserve myself so that Humans have a pass, seeing as there is already a half-orc in the making. Could be interesting to have some sort of rivalry there though, full blood against half-blood, perhaps some sort of friendly competition?

Sounds good to me.