What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on June 19, 2018, 01:45:16 PM
  What do insurance companies need to cover? A broken arm isn't a disorder, yet they need to pay if you have insurance. What is a broken bone? An injury? An ailemnt? Is it just on a finite list of things insurance companies need to cover? Is there an option whereby we can classify gender dysphoria as "something insuarance companies need to cover" that isn't also "something that makes you sound crazy to the layman".

'Chronic condition'? 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

LisztesFerenc

Maybe. A quick google search and pacificprime.com says insurance companies consider chronic to be something for which there is no cure, but also that a chronic condition which existed prior to getting coverage is considered pre-existing.

gaggedLouise

Or a latent disability, perhaps? Classing all sorts of perceived misalignment of gender as a chronic disability would be too blunt, it would risk shutting trans people out of the labour market as soon as they open up about their feelings.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

Iniquitous

Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

TheVillain

The sad part is that it's probably the least horrible option. Historians will flat out tell you that this isn't how the Holocaust started, this was what it was like several steps into the process.

I'm not a fan of it, but 1,600 fascists getting their identities leaked vs millions of innocent people rounded up and killed? I know which I'd pick if I had too.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Quick Ben

ICE is not the SS.

Detaining illegal immigrants for purposes of deportation does not equal rounding up people for gassings in any way, shape, or form.
The Crazy Den of Quick Ben

"We have a proverb," said Hadji Murád to the interpreter, " 'The dog gave meat to the ass, and the ass gave hay to the dog, and both went hungry,' " and he smiled. "Its own customs seem good to each nation."

Mile High -- Redd & Hood -- Lana Cross -- Goblet of Murder & Mystery -- Naughty or Nice --  Princess Peach

Lustful Bride

Quote from: TheVillain on June 20, 2018, 08:30:32 PM
The sad part is that it's probably the least horrible option. Historians will flat out tell you that this isn't how the Holocaust started, this was what it was like several steps into the process.

I'm not a fan of it, but 1,600 fascists getting their identities leaked vs millions of innocent people rounded up and killed? I know which I'd pick if I had too.

I'm usually happy to find a reason to insult the current administration and the government in general but i'm afraid I have to disagree. These are people doing their jobs. What do you want them to do? Quit and be unable to provide for their families? I agree these deportations and arrests have been fascistic and taken to an extreme but these officers are in a bad spot, they are screwed either way.

I'm sure some of them are assholes and some are racists or fascists, but its ignorant to go "All of them are bad people and undeserving of any mercy or care".

What happens if they start being killed or injured? Or what if its their families? These aren't neo Nazis, but law enforcement forced to obey harsh orders and made to take them to an extreme.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 20, 2018, 09:20:40 PM
I'm usually happy to find a reason to insult the current administration and the government in general but i'm afraid I have to disagree. These are people doing their jobs. What do you want them to do? Quit and be unable to provide for their families?

If your job involves human rights violations, which seperating child from parents with their consent appears to be, then yes, that is exactly what you are expected to do. Well, ideally quit and find a new job to provide for your family with, but either way, the quitting part is fairly important.

Iniquitous

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on June 20, 2018, 09:23:30 PM
  If your job involves human rights violations, which seperating child from parents with their consent appears to be, then yes, that is exactly what you are expected to do. Well, ideally quit and find a new job to provide for your family with, but either way, the quitting part is fairly important.

When most americans are one emergency away from being homeless (aka living paycheck to paycheck) just up and quitting a job with nothing lined up to go to isn't a viable option.  Expecting them to put their livelihoods on the line like that is just as disgusting as what the government has been forcing them to do.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Iniquitous on June 20, 2018, 09:28:25 PM
When most americans are one emergency away from being homeless (aka living paycheck to paycheck) just up and quitting a job with nothing lined up to go to isn't a viable option.  Expecting them to put their livelihoods on the line like that is just as disgusting as what the government has been forcing them to do.

So you believe people are allowed to commit human rights violations for a paycheck if they lack the savings to support themselves whilst finding a new job?

LisztesFerenc

We rejected the "I was just following orders" excuse. Why is "I needed a paycheck" more acceptable?

TheVillain

You realize crossing a border without the proper paperwork is only a misdemeanor on par with Jaywalking, right? And that’s if you aren’t claiming political Asylum, then it’s perfectly legal. And by all accounts, they are most certainly NOT just holding them for deportation.

I’m not saying I like it, I’m not even saying they’re Nazis. But they are Fascists if they think they can do these horrible things to people and that “just following orders” is a good excuse.

I’m not saying they’re Nazis, but they and we as a country are definitely on the road to Nazi-Town. That’s not an exaggeration, Trump has already suggested “considering” the 2020 elections. We haven’t gotten to the end of the road but only idiots and the willfully blind don’t see where this is headed.
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

TheVillain

*”considering”  [cancelling] the 2020 elections.

Sorry, dropped a word. He really did say that though.

Oniya

I'd like a source for that.  The closest I've found is a line he dropped during the 2016 elections.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

TheVillain

If we're refering to the same thing, that is what I'm talking about. Unfortunately since then much more recently there's been a poll showing that if he actually did try to "postpone" the 2020 elections over half of registered Republicans would be completely on board.

Which is terrifying in itself, but not what you asked.

What's the old line? "When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the Flag and carrying a Cross"?

Oniya

Well, in the quote I saw, he was referring to the 2016 election, which hadn't happened yet.

TheVillain

Then probably not it, but I'll give up a link when I find it.

Oniya

The thing is, U.S. Code Title 3, Chapter 1, sections 1 and 2 detail the timing of elections.  Trump can't simply say 'No need for an election in 2020.  You already have the best president ever.' 

TheVillain

On paper, yeah. Doesn’t mean he can’t try. He’s already shown that he doesn’t let things like “the law” and “facts” stop him from trying.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: TheVillain on June 21, 2018, 12:55:44 AM
On paper, yeah. Doesn’t mean he can’t try. He’s already shown that he doesn’t let things like “the law” and “facts” stop him from trying.

He's tried a lot of stuff, and repeatedly fails at actually doing it.

RedRose

Quote from: Quick Ben on June 20, 2018, 09:16:35 PM
ICE is not the SS.

Detaining illegal immigrants for purposes of deportation does not equal rounding up people for gassings in any way, shape, or form.

So agree.
Something can be bad and not be "Nazi".
Something can be needed and still bad - not that I will ever agree to separating children (esp. under teens) from their real family, not speaking of trafficking here!
Whether the left or the right started it, I am against separating children from family.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Shiva

Quote from: TheVillain on June 20, 2018, 08:30:32 PM

What? Where is this coming from? Which millions of innocent people will 'fascists' round up and kill?

Avis habilis

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on June 20, 2018, 09:31:43 PM
We rejected the "I was just following orders" excuse.

Not any more. Now we've got a torturer running the CIA & it's fine because her boss told her it was legal when she did it.