News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Constructed Languages

Started by The Emperor Zelos, February 13, 2010, 10:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Emperor Zelos

Constructed Language: A language entirely made from scratch with a specific purpose (entertainment, secracy and more) and did not naturally develop on its own

with the definition out of the way onto topic :P

I am just curious if there is anyone on here whom have any interest in such either just for the sake of learning, knowing or acctually enjoy doing it on their own ^_^

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

The Emperor Zelos

HairyHeretic

Klingon.

It's a wonderful language for cursing. You can really get some passion behind it, and no one can take offense unless you translate for them :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Emperor Zelos

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 13, 2010, 12:38:46 PM
Klingon.

It's a wonderful language for cursing. You can really get some passion behind it, and no one can take offense unless you translate for them :)

should have known XD im no fan of klingon though as it is intentionally designed to be human unfriendly

HairyHeretic

What makes you say it's human unfriendly?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Emperor Zelos

for starters I know the intention behind it is making it as alien as possible and go against all linguistical rules human languages have XP

it contain sounds that is hard for most humans to pronounce, it got a grammatical structure that for most of humanity unnatural and alot of other things

Oniya

Actually, most of the gutturals weren't that hard for me - of course, I'd taken a semester of Welsh at the time.  I didn't look too hard at the grammar, I'll admit, but there's such a variety of 'standard' sentence structures out there that I'd be surprised if Okrand came up with something completely original.

(I'm still amused at the fact that he started out making the language without the /k/ sound - and then someone said 'Um, Marc?  They're Klingons!')
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Emperor Zelos

XD that is rather humerous. But he still intentionally did go against what humans usually like (there are examples of everything all over the world but they are increadibly rare as they are frowned upon by most humans)

TheWriter

Drec ec cilr y fayg aqysbma, pid E kiacc ed cdemm fungc.  Al Bhed, syta vun Vehym Vyhdyco 10.

Back in high school I used to speak a little Tolkien Elvish as well.

Oniya

Al Bhed is more of a cryptogram than a con-lang.  Mind you, I'm probably going to spend lots of time trying to decipher it without the 'books' when I get around to playing that game, but that's because I like cryptograms too.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

DrFier

Oay, Al Bhed tuach'd naymmo luihd, pid E muja icehk ed du sacc fedr baubma.
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.

DarklingAlice

Quote from: TheWriter on February 14, 2010, 09:24:46 PM
Back in high school I used to speak a little Tolkien Elvish as well.

I used to speak Sindarin, but not Quenya. Although I doubt I could remember much now.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Oniya

Yht huf E ghuf ymm pid drnaa maddanc.  Cu cbayg hu calnadc.  ;D

But that's enough of a hijack.

TheWriter

Quote from: DarklingAlice on February 15, 2010, 12:24:00 AM
I used to speak Sindarin, but not Quenya. Although I doubt I could remember much now.
I can't even remember which of those it was I learned.

The Emperor Zelos

XD persoinally i am making my own

Xenophile

I'm more interested in re-constructed languages myself.

Like, Proto-Indo European.
Ons and Offs
Updated 2011 June 5th A's and A's

DrFier

Making a constructed language sounds interesting. Why do you want to make one?

E vuiht dras ymm, Pid E lrayd frah dnyhcmydehk :T

ymprat hadvensc lus
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.

The Emperor Zelos

for the sake of entertainment and privacy :3

DrFier

I've thought about making my own as well, but just for entertainment purposes. never got around to it though.
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

The Emperor Zelos

QuoteI've thought about making my own as well, but just for entertainment purposes. never got around to it though.

I could help :3

QuoteI'm more interested in re-constructed languages myself.

Like, Proto-Indo European.

Thats fun too, though not as fun

Lilias

Marion Zimmer Bradley created two languages in her Darkover novels, getting creative with (mostly) Scots Gaelic and Spanish elements.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Mnemaxa

What is really fun is that Klingon is actually the most widely spoken created language there is. 

You can take college courses in it if you like.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Oniya

I've heard that there are some schools offering Quenya as a language course.

Or did you mean that the classes are taught in Klingon?

The Emperor Zelos

Quote from: Mnemaxa on February 16, 2010, 10:15:34 PM
What is really fun is that Klingon is actually the most widely spoken created language there is. 

You can take college courses in it if you like.

incorrect, esperanto is the most spoken one with 2 million speakers