The Knaves of Knight City [Freeform Super-Villain Recruitment Open]

Started by Foxy DeVille, January 06, 2018, 04:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxy DeVille

Knight City... voted "Best Place To Be A Bag Guy" three years running on Vile.com. Home to the Knight City Annual Crab Legs Fest and the Knaves, a quasi-affiliated bunch of costumes crooks. Live the life of just a regular schmoe trying to make it through the working day with nothing but the rocket on his back and the death ray in his hand.

So the idea for this game would be the players take the part of mid-level super-villains. Not only would it deal with their crimes, but their day-to-day life. Think Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Secret Six, Supercrooks, MODOK's 11, the various minis starring the Rogues, and the "Honor Among Thieves" arc in JSA Classified. The Knaves aren't a team per se, just a bunch of baddies who go to the same bars and commit the same felonies. Freeform and with plenty of player input on what sort of mischief they get involved in.

The 411

Knight City is a thriving metropolis approximately the size of Atlanta. Located in North Carolina's Dare County, it is named for Tobias Knight, a colonial jdge and government official believed to have been in league with the notorious pirate Blackbeard. During Prohibition it was a popular place for rural moonshiners to sell their hooch to organized crime. Today Knight City is a major player in the aviation industry, which is appropriate since its not far from Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hill. Being an important airline hub has also attracted a lot of financial institutions. The city has a progressive social outlook that brings in young professionals. And it has the Knaves, costumed crooks that the city actually embraces as part of its heritage of bootleggers and buccaneers. Knight City lives up to its named with a architectural design that would be at home in Britain.

The Law of the Land

Gus Graff
Chief of Police

Chief Graff is the top dog in Knight City law enforcement. He has an easy-going manner and firmly believes in the motto "To Protect and To Serve." To him this means if someone isn't bothering anyone, he sees no reason to bother them and is better just making sure everyone is safe. This outlook has made him popular with the people and the KCPD has little trouble with fundraising. When it comes to the Knaves he prefers to "let the weirdos deal with the weirdos" and allow costumed vigilantes to handle them while the police keep the collateral damage down. Gus isn't above lining his pockets as long as innocent people don't get hurt because of it.

The Dashing Young Man
Knight City's Greatest Hero

Even more popular than the Chief is the speedster known as the Dashing Young Man. Commonly called "Dash," his wit is as quick as his feet and his charm as impeccable as his timing. He enjoys bantering with the Knaves and will use a minimal amount of violence to bring them in as long as they conduct themselves as "proper villains." In general the Knaves respect him for that can consider him a good guy that's actually a good guy. Out-of-town baddies that think the Dashing Young Man is a lightweight quickly learn he has no problem delivering a supersonic punch to the face. Some attempts have been made by both the press and the criminal element to figure out who the Dashing Young Man is but so far they have all failed for one reason... Dash doesn't live in Knight City. He is actually a college student at UNC who has more fun fighting crime than going to keggers and the Knaves are the most fun criminals of them all. With his speed Dash is only moments away at any time.

Bodycount aka Jailbait
Totally a vigilante and not a groupie

Living in a city with actual super-fights going on would be inspirational for many young people. For sixteen year old Janie Thompson it inspired a psychosexual fixation on the Knaves. Dressed in a skimpy outfit she says is supposed to distract her enemies and wielding a gun she got from... well, who knows... she began hunting down criminals while calling herself Bodycount. For her this hunting means firing a few shots, letting herself be disarmed, and then begging the evil-doer in question not to ravish her young nubile body. For the most part the Knaves know what her game is and started calling her Jailbait. Some find her annoying, others go along with it happy in the knowledge that age of consent is sixteen in North Carolina. Eventually either the police, the Dashing Young Man, or even a Knave will take her home to her parents who are really sorry and will find her help as soon as they can get time off of work.

So You Want To Be A Knave

[float=right][img height=200 padding=5]IMAGE LINK HERE[/img][/float]
[b]KNAVE NAME HERE[/b]
[b]Real Name: [/b]
[b]Also Known As: [/b]
[b]Place of Birth: [/b]
[b]Known Associations: [/b]
[b]Grudges: [/b]
[b]Hobbies: [/b]
[b]Goals: [/b]
[b]Quote: [/b]

[b]Origin and Background: [/b]

[b]Powers and Abilities: [/b]

[b]Appearance: [/b]

Let me know if you feel like suiting up and robbing a bank.

Kadigan

SithLordOfSnark

Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Anna Katrine

Oh, I loved Surperior foes of Spiderman. I am definately interested :)

LeSane

'Life is an unreasonable game in which winning was impossible from the start. Even so spread your wings and fly straight into the sun! If the world threatens to swallow you whole crush it under your heel.'

Nowherewoman

Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

Ixy

I've always wanted to play a game like this, but things tend to fall apart without a central hub for the action, with too large of a group per scene, or with conflicting ideas of whose super-powered character is so untouchably badass that they don't really -need- a plot other than beating all the other PC's asses. 

It seems like a really fun setting option with tons of options to have super-villains interacting, discussing their failures and successes and ideas, coming up with mad, wicked schemes and the like, perhaps sharing their peculiarities and gradually learning about each other beyond the sociopathic outer layer-- the opportunity would be great if it works out that way, with maybe some participants who decide their characters would work best together peeling off for side threads to free-style some scenes for a caper, etc.

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: Ixy on January 13, 2018, 10:57:07 PM
I've always wanted to play a game like this, but things tend to fall apart without a central hub for the action, with too large of a group per scene, or with conflicting ideas of whose super-powered character is so untouchably badass that they don't really -need- a plot other than beating all the other PC's asses. 

It seems like a really fun setting option with tons of options to have super-villains interacting, discussing their failures and successes and ideas, coming up with mad, wicked schemes and the like, perhaps sharing their peculiarities and gradually learning about each other beyond the sociopathic outer layer-- the opportunity would be great if it works out that way, with maybe some participants who decide their characters would work best together peeling off for side threads to free-style some scenes for a caper, etc.

I definitely want a lot of character interaction. Planning heists, bullshitting at the bar, nursing old grudges... things like that. Knaves aren't a team, just some peeps that hang out and sometimes rob a bank while wearing spandex. I wouldn't want a super-badass character in the game because that's not what it would be about.

Some pretty solid interest has trickled in so I'll probably be busting out a more detailed background, a few NPCs, and a character sheet before too long.

Kadigan

Foxy DeVille

OK... added a little background to Knight City and some info on a few of its fine citizens in my first post. And there's a character sheet too! Feel free to ask questions, offer ideas, namedrop enemies and allies of your own creation in your sheet, whatevs.

Nowherewoman

LOL seeing Jailbait, I am very tempted to roll up a reluctant 'big sistery' type Knave named Jezzehell, who keeps trying to get JB to back off her game.
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

Kadigan

Sorry...I tend to only join games with 18 or older rules in place. If it changes I'd be more then fine tossing something in, but otherwise I hope it goes well. I was really looking forward to this one.

Cold Heritage

KNAVE NAME HERE: Broski!
Also Known As: Soup (if you want to get him hecked up), Triple C
Place of Birth: Long Island, New York
Known Associations: Kang Guerilla, Thrilla Ice
Grudges: The Astonishing Arachno-Teen, Billy the Teen Wizard
Hobbies: Cam has a podcast where he reviews mugs and cups. He rates them based on things like 'handfeel' or how easy it is to drink from them when in weird body positions. Cam is known to frequent the 'good' Bojangles restaurants in Knight City, and reviews some of his meals on a youtube channel. He also frequently goes to Dunkin' Donuts and posts videos of himself throwing the donuts at police officers. Cam never eats Dunkin' Donuts donuts, though - whenever he wants donuts he gets a Knave to hook him up with a teleporter round trip up to Canada for Tim Horton's.
Goals: (in no particular order) Get to be an A list supervillain so he can go and be a supervillain in New York City or one of the big league cities. Get mad heat as a supervillain that the SWWE won't have any choice but to take him, strap the rocket to him, and push him to the moon. Get over two million followers on social media.
Quote: "The vault had diamonds? SSSSSSSSIIIIICK!"

Origin and Background: Cam's parents own the Campbell's Soup empire. They're mega-rich, and that's not counting their connections to old money in Europe and family they don't like to talk about in South America. Cam grew up without any material wants, and enjoyed the best private tutors money could buy. His parents dreamed of grooming their son to take over their soup empire, but sadly Cam showed little interest or acumen in business and they turned to grooming sister Camella for it. Cam had a sense that he was a family disappointment but he had his eyes on a prize: the Superpowered World Wrestling Entertainment Megapowers Championship.

Cam honed his body to physical perfection and studied hours upon hours of professional wrestling tapes. He broke into the independent scene and paid his dues, sometimes traveling hundreds of miles and wrestling before twelve people for a cheeseburger. But such was his passion for his craft that Cam eventually found himself in Japan. He worked a thankless evil American gimmick against the stiffest talent Japan had to offer.

But Cam came to realize that there was one thing standing in his way: he did not have superpowers. He lamented this sad fact while microwaving leftover sushi, and this is totally where destiny stepped in. This is like, totally legit real true events coming up. The sushi contained the meat of a rare sea creature, an exotic plant leaf, and a special, experimental food additive not cleared for human consumption. The microwave radiation irradiated the sushi and once Cam consumed it his body was forever altered at the genetic level, transforming man into superman! Also, radioactive hairgel has ensured that Cam's hair is always spiked, no matter what level of care he takes. This is the real true origin story of Broski! Not an imaginary story. Not an alternate continuity. This is real.

Upon his return to the United States, Cam fell afoul of a series of unfortunate misunderstandings and events that led to Cam being mistaken for one of his Brazilian cousins. These misunderstandings could have been cleared up, no problem, if not for the intervention of the Astonishing Arachno-Teen, who thought and continues to think he is so cool but really he is not and his quips are really not witty at all. Cam and the Arachno-Teen ended up in a colossal slobberknocker for the ages that ended with Cam standing triumphant over the unconscious Arcachno-Teen, having whipped the Arachno-teen like a government mule and stomped a mudhole in his ass that Cam subsequently then walked dry. But since the Arachno-Teen was an alleged "super" "hero" Cam ended up in a Super-Max prison. His cellmates were Kang Guerilla - a gorilla uplifted by Green Peace who killed and ate the environmentalists responsible for his uplifting - and Thrilla Ice - a white rapper with ice powers with two double platinum albums - and when the two hatched a plan to escape Cam went along for the ride because why not?

Of course this made Cam a wanted fugitive, and he quickly ran afoul of many superheroes who wanted to put Cam back behind bars. He rode the rails with Kang Guerilla and Thrilla Ice, traveling a supervillain underground railway to Knight City (it is literally a railway that is underground and was built by mole people). Once there, the three went their own separate ways, although they have teamed up for heists. Cam has provided back up vocals on a few of Thrilla Ice's dis tracks and helped Thrilla Ice steal some magic shit from Billy the Teen Wizard's Mansionorium Magicarium. Before this, Cam never knew that 1) magic was real, or 2) that one person could have so many dragon dildos.

Powers and Abilities: Cam is superhumanly strong and superhumanly resistant to damage, illnesses, and conceivable forms of harm.

Appearance: Cam is 6'4". He is real tan. People who see him in the shower know that he is shredded and has like, an eight pack. Cam sports the tightest shirts, and they are in most cases v-necks so that there is an easy place to hang his shades. He prefers shades orange and purple, and typically wears jeans. But he has been known to rock a three piece purple silk suit with an orange silk pocket square. You know, for when he wants to look nice.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Mac84

LOL!

Oh this looks like a Glorious trainwreck, ala Mystery Men.

in fact, I would watch this "Movie" over Mystery Men anyday!

Nowherewoman

Been this way and that. While I love the premise, it looks like it may be leaning a bit further towards slapstick than I usually prefer in my RPs.  Think I'll step back. Best of luck with it, though!