Keep Wall Street Occupied - Occupy Your Mailbox: Effective?

Started by Star Safyre, October 30, 2011, 09:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star Safyre

Keep Wall Street Occupied

I'm curious how effective a means of protest this may be.  Will it accomplish its goal?  Thoughts?
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

The Dark Raven

I admit I don't understand the occupy state of mind with my willingness to work 2+ jobs to pay my bills, rather than protest that the rich have all the money (I fully admit my understanding of occupy  is like my understanding of football--blissfully slim).  My understanding of economics says that there will always be certain numbers of each class on average and equilibrium will tend to put it back there.  I don't  understand that dynamic either, but at least that has been a constant in at least the past 50 years.

I honestly will see a mailing campaign  (from anyone) as junk mail, quite honestly, just because I mainly get junk mail through the postal service (my bills are paid online for the most part).  I also see the upcoming mailing campaign as an alternative to standing outside in the  coming winter.  Smart, but comes off as an alternative to the comfort of fall.   Being the other end of the political spectrum, I know I am in the vast minority on  E, and as such do not feel comfortable posting in politics and religion for fear of  being ridiculed, but I felt I had to say something, as the media makes most or all conservatives out as extremist loonies, idiots, or both.  I, for one, am neither, and am frightened of what this country is becoming--a little less free every day.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Oniya

Just as a note - a lot of the people (I dare say most) in the Occupy movement would like to have the opportunity to work at a job, or even multiple jobs to pay their bills.  The problem is that for every job opening out there, you have an average of 4 or more unemployed people, and that's assuming that they have the necessary qualifications.

Mr. Oniya has over 20 years of retail experience - he can't get a job as a cashier because he's 'overqualified'.  (He's willing to work for lower wage/no benefits, but insists on making enough money to pay the gas bill to and from work.)  One of my neighbors said that her company recently instituted a requirement that if they didn't have a college degree, they wouldn't have a job - despite the fact that people in her position have gone for years without one, and therefore have the actual life experience to do the job, if not the sheepskin. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Missy

Be civil. Be safe. Be heard.

The effectiveness of this? I dunno, I don't get a lot of junk mail, or even mail at all though so I'm not sure if I can try to see.

I think it would definitely effect the way banks think, can't say if it would really get them to stop lobbying to screw us though, I think they hire other people to do that. Plus, theirs just the chance that they'll just blacklist your address and target the least intelligent/most lazy instead.

Oniya

For myself, I just plan on continuing to email my congressmen - get to know specifically where they stand and where they aren't representing me.  Occupy my mailbox?  I'd rather Occupy the Ballotbox.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Missy

You know though, the fact that people are reaching for these wildly alternative ideas just shows how desperately out of faith we are in the system.

I really do wonder if the democracy is dead. Are we really ruled by the elite of our Republic?

You know really it doesn't have to feel good, it just doesn't have to hurt too much and people won't complain. So as long as the elite doesn't do anything to obvious we'll 'get along'.

Oniya

I may be an eternal optimist, but I don't believe it's dead. Seriously sick, perhaps, and in need of some kind of repair, but not 'kicked to the curb' dead.

Callie Del Noire

However disgruntled with the system I might be, and disqusted with actions on both sides, I am happy to see that things are gettign better on the voter particuation/awareness side of things. I had some hopes for the Tea Party before they got jacked by the Kohn Brothers. It's amazing how so many canidates suddenly 'forgot' how they got elected and turn to the status quo as a way to do things.

The Republicans, after getting both houses in the NC governement for the first time in 100+ years, turn around and do all the stupid things is a good example of that. Preaching about 'fairness' and 'small business' then they lock arms with folks like Time Warner and cut the lgs out of the growing Fiber Optic Municipal movement and the Governor (who lives by Polling) sits back and lets the bill cripple open competition.

Add in the fact that education, our most vital segment in changing from blue collar jobs to white collar jobs, is castrated throughout the country.

Missy

Yes, to be fair: I'm a pessimist and terribly dramatic in addition to that.

I honestly don't know enough about the system to really say anything truly conclusive, but I think it's not working very well for the moment and I do wonder how we can do anything about it.

I believe in capitalism in that it rewards effort with opportunity, but I don't think everyone uses that opportunity appropriately. I suppose that's not unique, the abuse of power that is.

It seems the system currently revolves around an elite which is driven by another elite. I think the system can work and it's the best we have, but I think some things need changing.