Anyone chat/play through IM?

Started by LonelyTroll, April 24, 2007, 11:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LonelyTroll

Does anyone chat or play through IM, or is everyone here a post-only player?

I'm always on AIM and YIM at work, and have frequent downtimes when I'd love some stimulating conversation, and not just S-E-X...

Guess the immediacy of IM is something that I sorely miss with a play-by-post mechanism...

Do you like the immediacy of IM, or do you prefer the thoughtfulness and reflection PbP seems to have in droves?

(By the way, feel free to IM me if you want to chat...)
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Ons/Offs

Celestial Goblin

I like playing trough IM and there are some very cool people I play with.
And no, we don't do straight up 'cyber', we often are as creative as in PbP:)

Jeramiahh

Since I'm usually very long-winded, it doesn't matter to me which medium I use; I write my posts almost as spontaneously as I write my IMs, and I write my IMs as long as or longer than my posts. Of the two, I prefer posting, if only because it's in a nice, convenient place if I ever want to go back and double check some detail I mention hours, days, or even weeks ago.

My favorite medium for RP, though, is through MMOs, where the situation is more public, and anyone can jump in and enjoy a story, yet you can still get some privacy if you need it. Hell, one of my favorite sessions was just RPing a lazy Sunday afternoon, everyone lounging around the guildhall, discussing ideas, eating lunch, and relaxing.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

kylie

I like IM or chat rooms, generally more.

But there is this little detail of being a few hours behind most of the United States...  Sigh.

Celestial Goblin

Quote from: kylie on May 03, 2007, 11:32:52 PM
I like IM or chat rooms, generally more.

But there is this little detail of being a few hours behind most of the United States...  Sigh.

Behind? You mean like Asia or Europe?

kylie

Ah, but there is this wee little ocean between most of the United States and Asia...

Mistiq

There an off chance you can still  sync up, I deal with tons of time zones, just find nocturnal folk

Lilian

I also do through Chat/IM/SL/MUCK/Anything 'live'. =3

BK Geno

I do both, but prefer PbP, if only to be able to go to sleep, come back in an hour or 8, and continue the conversation, and noone is like, 'Dude where have you been.'
Panic is ALWAYS an appropriate answer!

Far eyes

Sleep is overrated

I do some IM, its more dynamical then PpP but I sometimes need that little time to come up with the right story. Also my spelling sucks, so when I do so it is usually with people who can comprehend it
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

BK Geno

Man, I am a college student. Believe me, I know. And I have no problems understanding your posts.

A sutdy pfrmoerd at seaverl universities ntocie taht as lnog as teh frsit lteetr, lsat lteter are corerct, and it has the rghit nmeubr of ltertes,, yuor mnid can siltl udrsanted the sntecene.

I think I did that right.
Panic is ALWAYS an appropriate answer!

Goblinmoon

I have rp'd in IM, Chatsky, IRC... I'll give it a shot.  I do prefer to know you before hand though, even if its just rp'd here with you.

belsammael

eh, I have done so but I'm a bit rusty.. ;) - so both versions, though I usually try to get to know somebody a bit better at first..

heck, I've even rp'ed through PM's ..though not here. ;)

King_Furby

I rarely do IM play but i have done it a few times recently.

I usually ask my partners i find on AOL if they want to do e-mail play. I just like that best. But i usually get the "e-mail is slower" excuse.

though it's really not for me.

Problem i find with IM play is that usually you don't get long term stories