News:

Main Menu

Fallout 3 Review

Started by ZK, October 31, 2008, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avi

Anyone else find it mildly amusing that the slaves at Temple of the Union seem to worship Old Abe as a god?
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

magnamos

I think it's much more amusing that the people in Megaton worship an atomic bomb as there god

Beauty

I find it really weird that Mr. Burke is sending me love letters after I used the Black Widow skill to convince him not to blow up Megaton...
~x I've been absent for a few years, but I'm back and ready to start new stories! I've refined my writing skills and fixated on new desires/interests - Looking forward to being inspired ;)*X~

My O/O

Inkidu

Quote from: Beauty on November 28, 2008, 12:40:46 PM
I find it really weird that Mr. Burke is sending me love letters after I used the Black Widow skill to convince him not to blow up Megaton...
Did you still get the Tenpenny Tower's Suit? I found Lady Killer to be very biased and maybe even sexist. I never did anything remotely interesting with it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

ZK

Lady Killer/Black Widow are in fact biased/sexist on both ends. You're a casanova set out on the destruction of others.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Inkidu

Quote from: ZK on November 30, 2008, 10:36:30 PM
Lady Killer/Black Widow are in fact biased/sexist on both ends. You're a casanova set out on the destruction of others.
I'm not getting it on my next play through there are better perks. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Quote from: Avi on November 23, 2008, 04:58:31 PM
I got myself a Brotherhood of Steel Paladin to follow me around now.  She's pretty awesome, she wields a Super Sledge, and I also kitted her out with a Sniper Rifle. XD  Can't wait to see her in combat.

Dude, she looks like Will Smith... or his Grandma XD

Inkidu

Quote from: ZK on November 30, 2008, 10:36:30 PM
There are less people to interact with as a male with the perk. Also there are more male enemies than females so it's a very one-sided perk.

consortium11

I've actually been replaying Fallout 3 a fair amount recently, partly to see if I really gave it a fair shake last time... as I really really disliked it.

Thoughts a second time around?

It's still not great, but not as bad as I remembered it being.

The continuity is completely broken betwee Fallout 1/2 and this and doesn't hold up on a logical level. This is a bit of a fanboy protest, but still, if you're doing th sequel to one of the beloved RPG frachises, you should at least be able to keep it roughly within the guidelines. And that's without the fact that it lacks the "feel" of either of the earlier games... and Fallout 2 was criticised for lacking the feel of the first.

The plot doesn't make sense in the slightest and is outrageously railroaded... which severely limits roleplay value.

There are some huge bugs/glitches in there. Some are gamebreaking requiring massive save/load style play to get around. Others are frustrating... I came across the levitating Deathclaw about 6 times (when a Deathclaw just suddenly flies into the air and disappears).

The vast majority of quests are pretty banal, consisting of fetch/carry quests with slightly different bad guys to kill each time. There are some gems in there, but they're not as developed as they could be. There never seems to be a real consequence to whatever choice you make. It also feels like there could be so much more. Take megaton... read moriarty's notes... and other than the drug dealer plot there's little you could do. There's a seemingly simple quest between the "good" bar and the "bad" bar (so simple it was even in Fallout 2...)... but there's nothing.

Gameplay is pretty much run and gun. Sneaking is of limited use, Speech seems to almost entirely be about getting yourself a bigger reward and your responses only ever seem to break down into 3 options: Boy Scout, neutral and arsehole. Hell, comparing the way you convince Eden to blow himself up and the way you convinced the master in Fallout 1 is almost sad as you see how the dialogue has regressed. Let alone if you throw in talking about Jet creation in Fallout 2.

The way karma has been changed (and reputation removed) doesn't make sense. Hell... you kill all the ghouls who murdered the residents of Tenpenny and you lose karma? I lose karma for kill a group of mass murderers...? And that's without the issue that why would the people in Rivet City care that I stole all the food from the Republic of Dave (without anyone seeing)... and how would they know? The old reputation (for how each area saw you) and karma (for the good/bad you actually did) was far superior.

And the ending. Oh god the ending.

I had fun replaying it. There's a certain satisfaction of the slow motion VATS headshot that sends an opponent flying, or pinning an arm to a wall (although it gets tiring pretty quickly) and wandering round the destroyed area just checking out the sights is still pretty awesome. But I can't really play for more than an hour at a time without getting bored...

tesseractive

Quote from: consortium11 on May 03, 2009, 05:23:31 PM
Speech seems to almost entirely be about getting yourself a bigger reward and your responses only ever seem to break down into 3 options: Boy Scout, neutral and arsehole.

Ouch. I was curious to try this out eventually, but that alone is a complete dealbreaker. Thanks for saving me the money.
~ Tessa ~

We are never not what we are, but we are never not becoming what we will be.

consortium11

The dialogue's a step above Oblivion's... but not by a huge amount.

Occasionally a high speech skill will allow you to skip some combat or get around a quest, but there's a real limited complexity to it. The game is at heart about shooting things and making limbs fly off.

Inkidu

If dialogue alone influences your purchase decision then so be it but I'm telling you right now, the only better dialogue you'll find in a rpg on the market today is Mass Effect. However, the dialogue in Fallout 3 is fully voiced over, and it's not the same four or five people like in Oblivion. It's not as good as the original Fallout's your-stats-affect-what-you-say mechanic, however they took the awesome game with crappy graphics and made it an awesome game that has a fully explorable free-form world with stunning and surrealistic. The VO is very solid and it has Liam Neeson!

You only really need a ten percent speech skill and a penchant to save often for that guarantees you have a one and ten chance.