Story-Focused, Multi-Arc Fantasy Adventure [CLOSED]

Started by King Serperior, March 15, 2017, 03:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supias

I see that there are more than the 5 or 6 you were looking for have already show interest.  I'm interested as well, if only for a small roll or side character should it be needed.  I did have a question on your concept of the magic world used in this thread however.  I noticed the staff abilities and am curious to know more about that aspect of this world and adventure.

King Serperior

Quote from: Supias on March 18, 2017, 06:09:27 PM
I see that there are more than the 5 or 6 you were looking for have already show interest.  I'm interested as well, if only for a small roll or side character should it be needed.  I did have a question on your concept of the magic world used in this thread however.  I noticed the staff abilities and am curious to know more about that aspect of this world and adventure.
Ah, hello Supias!  Glad to see that you're showing interest in this.  Now, there's no need to worry about the number of people as this game will consist of characters I feel will work best.  So far, there's only one complete character and one in-progress one, so there's more than enough time for you to make a character if you want to.  After all, not everyone who shows initial interest will make a character due to possible writing workloads and other reasons.

On that note, when it comes to magic in this setting, I am not going to be doing a system-style in terms of magical points and costs.  However, I like to keep a general rule for small, simple magics like making a small spark to start a campfire being something most magic users learn.  However, advanced magic takes time to learn and the more advanced the magic, the longer the spell takes to cast and the more it takes out of the user.  More powerful magics also should have a downside.

Take my character's Staff of Madness for example:  It has many powerful effects, but there are also a great many downsides.  For example, a person hit by the staff's magic will be immune to future magic attacks by the staff for a full day.  Next, the spirit that lives in the staff is fickle and odd and may not even cast a spell if it doesn't want to.  Finally, the magic spell cast is 100% random, so there's no guarantee that the result will make a situation better or worse, so using the staff is a gamble.

Meanwhile, take a look at simpler spells like Mage Hand and Witch Light.  Those are less risky, but their threat of harm is minimal at best (one could use Mage Hand to make someone trip to their deaths, but there are better uses for the spell). 

So, I suppose the question is:  Are there any specific things you want to know about?

EDIT:  As a note, I will say that should another player character be accidently hit by the Staff's magic, I will make sure that fatal results are nullified and 'permanent' results temporary.  This means that if your character would become an Orc, it might simply last for a few hours to a couple of days ingame.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Supias

YES.  So many questions.  Say I don't want something quite so in depth as the staff, perhaps I would like to have just a few spells like similar to the "magic hands" kind of thing, could this be something worked out as far as the positives and negatives of it?  I'm creating a character in my mind but I'm wanting to make sure I'm in the guidelines of your structure.

King Serperior

In that case, downsides generally depend on the spell.  If it is a spell like my character's Mage Hand, the biggest downside would be range and strength (weight of force it can exert) to balance its wide range of uses.  Just what sort of spells are you thinking of?

Also, depending on your character could depend on the spells.  Spell strength depends generally on how much time the character spends studying it.  A warrior who prefers swords would not likely spend time learning spells.  Meanwhile, a mage that has lived for years studying spells would know stronger ones.  The same goes for someone who is casual where they may have just a couple of spells that helps them in one way or another, but nothing outstandingly strong.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Geeklet

Name: Aria Darkmore
Race: Human
Sex: Female
Affiliation: Ghothas, the Vile, a relatively unknown demonic entity
Class:  Warlock
Important Notes:  When stumbling around in ancient elven ruins, and a mysterious entity offers you immense power in return for setting it free, just be careful what you wish for. While she does retain her free will, there are occasional urges to help out the entity powering her, such as the recent elimination of a cult who worshiped a rival demon.

Specific Items / Weapons: Infernal weapon - Able to summon at will, can take the shape of any weapon desired, and Aria can use it with ease, even if normal weapons of that type would seem unwieldy (note: this does not make the weapon itself more effective than it would otherwise be)
Notable Spells: 

• Eldritch Blast: Fires a blast of raw magical energy from the caster's hands.
  • Armor of Shadows: Shadows swirl around the caster, making them harder to hit.
  • Arms of Hadar: Shadowy tentacles reach out and strike all those around the caster.
  • Darkness: Create an area of unnatural darkness, 15' radius
  • Spider Climb: Affected target can now traverse any surface while keeping their hands free.
Ons/Offs: Clicky (Note, thread is woefully out of date, feel free to PM with any questions)

King Serperior

Ooo!  A very interesting character, Geekie!

I'm pretty sure that this 'Ghothas, the Vile' isn't my character's parent, but who knows with an unknown demonic entity!  *laughs*  But, in all seriousness, I'm liking what I see.  I do have a small question:

- This infernal weapon:  Does it come from a mark on the skin?  An amulet, pendant, or bracelet?  Or does it form from nothing?  In any case, the weapon simply changes into a weapon that is needed as desired, but other than being seemingly well-made, it possesses no special powers other than the shape changing?

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Supias

Quote from: King Serperior on March 18, 2017, 07:31:02 PM
  The same goes for someone who is casual where they may have just a couple of spells that helps them in one way or another, but nothing outstandingly strong.

This actually helps quite a bit for the character I'm thinking of thanks. A few spells that art useful but might not be his sole purpose.

Geeklet

It is stored inside its own pocket dimension. Usually a faint smell of sulfur whenever she 'pulls' it out. Automatically goes back there when more than 5 feet away. Its considered a magic weapon, but other than that, nothing special. Other than like, say, if it becomes any weapon that requires a decent amount of training to use properly (for example, a giant 2 handed axe), she can use her weapon, but a normal weapon of the same kind would still be hard to handle.

King Serperior

Quote from: Supias on March 18, 2017, 07:53:01 PM
This actually helps quite a bit for the character I'm thinking of thanks. A few spells that art useful but might not be his sole purpose.
That's about right.  For example, a peddler who knows a spell for loosening or tightening knots to help secure objects to their wagon.  Or perhaps a warrior who knows a minor spell to purify a skin of water.  Or even a hunter who can temporarily remove their scent through a spell.  In those cases, the spells are very useful to the person, but are generally somewhat specific.

Quote from: Geeklet on March 18, 2017, 07:54:23 PM
It is stored inside its own pocket dimension. Usually a faint smell of sulfur whenever she 'pulls' it out. Automatically goes back there when more than 5 feet away. Its considered a magic weapon, but other than that, nothing special. Other than like, say, if it becomes any weapon that requires a decent amount of training to use properly (for example, a giant 2 handed axe), she can use her weapon, but a normal weapon of the same kind would still be hard to handle.
Ah, that makes more sense.  Thanks for clarifying!

With that, I say she's approved!

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Geeklet

King Serperior

One thing I would like to say is that skilled Priests, demon hunters, and experienced clerics will likely know that the weapon is of demonic origin.  Tieflings will also likely know as well.  As a magic weapons, most mages will know the moment they see it.  Obvious things, but I wanted to make sure that we might be on the same page.  Obviously, demon-origin weapons exist in various forms, but they are uncommon as one either has to make a pact with a demon, kill a demon and steal their weapon, OR kill a follower of a demon and steal the weapon gifted to them.

In any case, it's an interesting weapon indeed.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Geeklet

Oh yeah. Its fully clear that not just the weapon, but her magic as well has some sort of otherworldly source, and isn't "typical" magic.

King Serperior

Just like how a Tiefling's magic has traces of demonic energy as well.  Though, the staff is solely human in origin who somehow was cursed to reside there!

Glad we're on the same page in that regard.  *nodnod*

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Supias

Name: Vreshnah Kentar
Race: Drow
Sex: Male
Affiliation: Assassin’s guild known as Threads End.
Class:  Assassin
Important Notes:  Vreshnah has spent many years in the catacombs of blackened caves. It heightened his since of sound to bat like precision, but also to the point that loud noises are painful.  It has also made him sensitive to bright lights.  A stalker rather than a duelist, he is used to surprising or out witting his target rather than a direct hand to hand attack.

Specific Items / Weapons:
•   Throwing knives used as extensions of his hands rather than weapons.
•   The mirrored box: A set of scalpels, needles, and poisons utilized once his target has been neutralized and typically used for torture and interrogation. 
•   2 Daggers

Notable Spells: 

•   Stolen breath: Typically this spell is only used as a kind of gag to keep his targets from making noise and drawing attention there way.  On two occasions it was used as the means to end a life.  In both instances Vreshnah had to be touching the target and it took some time to complete.
•   Gift of Lolth: Vreshnah has a natural affinity to the eight legged creatures and he has a knack at knowing when any are near, but this spell allows him to see through the eyes of a familiar arachnid while in a sort of trance.  It also gives him some immunity to spider venoms though not to drider.
•   Deepen Shadows:  Moving almost invisibly in darkness(so long as his hair is covered), Vreshnah uses this spell to darken rooms where otherwise light would give his movements away.   

(Feel free to offer suggestions on others incantations or objects that might be helpful for this character. I am open to modifying the objects and spells but not so much the character himself.)

King Serperior

Ah, a Drow!  I was wondering if there would be one submitted here.

At an initial glance, everything looks good.  I do have a few questions to be clarified, but they aren't serious ones:

- Thread's End:  Is he still a full member working on his own time and in occasional contact with them?  Or has he left them, but still has at least a single contact there?  Of course, as an assassin, there may be some parties who may have a bounty against him.
- Gift of Lolth:  Rather than some immunity, perhaps it is an immunity to all spider venom....and perhaps a weakness to Drider venom in case he tries to betray her?  It might be something the spider goddess would do.
- Spider Familiar:  You mentioned a familiar spider and I was wondering if he has one?  Or would any spider do?  If the former, is it a large spider or a smaller one that is somewhere on his person?
- Light Bend:  Perhaps 'Deepen Shadows' would be more appropriate by the description?

Beyond that, I think he looks good!

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Gateman

since you've only got one complete character so far, I'ma plant my flag here. I'll have a character ready for you asap, because, honestly, this looks pretty freaking fun.

King Serperior

Quote from: Gateman on March 18, 2017, 11:59:29 PM
since you've only got one complete character so far, I'ma plant my flag here. I'll have a character ready for you asap, because, honestly, this looks pretty freaking fun.
Ah, greetings, Gateman!  Thank you for showing interest in this!

I must correct you in that there are technically three completed characters in addition to my own.  One just needs a couple of questions cleared up, but is otherwise accepted.

Completed characters:
- Tiefling Chaos Mage [Me]
- Halfling Rogue [Diesel Heart]
- Human Warlock [Geeklet]
- Drow Assassin (simply needs a few questions answered) [Supias]
- OPEN
- OPEN

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

yesiroleplay

King Serperior

Oh, please don't thank me.  Thank Blythe for finding it and sharing it with everyone!

That said, take what time you need.  Sundays are my more busy days, so feel free to ponder over your idea and who knows, maybe another randomly generated idea will crop up that you like even more!

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

yesiroleplay

Quote from: King Serperior on March 19, 2017, 01:30:11 AM
Oh, please don't thank me.  Thank Blythe for finding it and sharing it with everyone!

That said, take what time you need.  Sundays are my more busy days, so feel free to ponder over your idea and who knows, maybe another randomly generated idea will crop up that you like even more!
I was thinking along the lines of cleric anyway, and that was the 2nd one to come up.  I like it, though I have no idea what royal families are available.

King Serperior

Quote from: yesiroleplay on March 19, 2017, 01:35:20 AM
I was thinking along the lines of cleric anyway, and that was the 2nd one to come up.  I like it, though I have no idea what royal families are available.
If you are looking for a royal family, you could say that one was in a large town or city somewhere in the distant parts of the land.  Some royal families are royal in name only, so it might not even be a king and queen, but rather an independent noble family who viewed themselves as royalty.  Feel free to go with your gut on this and if there are any questions, I'll make sure to ask them.   :-)

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Gateman

Name: Galen Loesse
Race: Half-Elf (wood-elf)
Sex: Male (androgynous)
Affiliation: Galen is only really affiliated with himself, and whichever local barkeep gives him the best prices on mead.
Class:  Bard
Important Notes: Loves to be the life of the party, will spend most of his gold in taverns; possibly an alcoholic; always has a good story to tell, possibly a habitual liar; Sometimes pretends to be female when trying to escape authorities; can't read music if he loses his ring
Specific Items / Weapons: A red journal, detailing everything Galen's learned in his travels, as well as who he owes money; a songbook; a small sachet of songbird lozenges; a pair of small clubs, both barely bigger than a sorcerer's wand; A goatskin drum, which has been reconfigured into a backpack;
Ring of Eloquence
The ring is a very valuable mystical item, though to the untrained eye, it appears to be a simple silver band. One of many, Galen's particular ring has been inscribed with the letters of the elven, dwarven, and orcish tongue, allowing him to speak each as well as he does Common. Unique to his ring, the fourth language slot is filled with musical scales, allowing him to read music.
won off a fellow bard in a drunken wager.

Notable Spells:
Battle Hymn: An  song to raise the spirits of companions, spurring them on to fight harder and longer. Depending on the song chosen from his songbook, the hymn can have varying effects.
Dreadful Dirge: A mournful song whose piercing notes can shatter the will of those who hear it, leaving them weakened.
Ghostly whisper: With a little concentration, Galen can disguise and throw his voice, making it appear to come from elsewhere.
Sonic Scream: Galen's voice being his weapon, he can let out a disorienting shriek. Doing so makes him unable to sing for a small period of time before and after the scream.
Vocal Alteration: a spell that changes the characteristics of a target's voice. Galen usually uses it on himself.
Ons/Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=60533

King Serperior

I like the idea of a Bard who has a drinking problem and isn't perhaps the most reliable with his money.  I have a few questions about him though:

- Half-Elf:  Nothing serious, but what kind of Elf is in his blood?  Image looks somewhat like a Drow.
- Role:  From what I can tell, he doesn't seem to have a primary fighting role, so a 'Bardbarian' seems a little much.  Being a bard and nothing more would be more than okay as everyone has something they are good at.  Not every character has to be combat oriented, after all.
- Ring of Eloquence:  I'm simply wondering just what this ring is, it's power(s) if you will.
- Journal:  Sounds quite interesting indeed.  Hopefully it won't fall into the wrong hands if it tells who he owes money to!
- Spells:  This one's the big one.  The way I see it, Bards have a subtle magic that is both weaker and stronger than the average spellcaster.  A bard is the kind of person who has an innate magic that only manifests through song, dance, and music because the bard in question is putting their heart and soul into it.  Not all bards can cast such spells, but there are some who can and others who do it better.
- Spell Notes:  In the case of bards needing song, dance, and music to use their spellwork, I just want to make sure that is kept in mind.  Because the magic is vocal, I feel that many bardic magics should have an area-of-effect based on who hears it.  So, the Sonic Scream might hurt allies while the Dreadful Dirge could somewhat affect anyone who is within hearing range.
- O/Os:  You might want to fix the link a little.

Other than that, do you have any questions?

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Gateman

Quote from: King Serperior on March 19, 2017, 03:00:26 PM
I like the idea of a Bard who has a drinking problem and isn't perhaps the most reliable with his money.  I have a few questions about him though:

- Half-Elf:  Nothing serious, but what kind of Elf is in his blood?  Image looks somewhat like a Drow.
- Role:  From what I can tell, he doesn't seem to have a primary fighting role, so a 'Bardbarian' seems a little much.  Being a bard and nothing more would be more than okay as everyone has something they are good at.  Not every character has to be combat oriented, after all.
- Ring of Eloquence:  I'm simply wondering just what this ring is, it's power(s) if you will.
- Journal:  Sounds quite interesting indeed.  Hopefully it won't fall into the wrong hands if it tells who he owes money to!
- Spells:  This one's the big one.  The way I see it, Bards have a subtle magic that is both weaker and stronger than the average spellcaster.  A bard is the kind of person who has an innate magic that only manifests through song, dance, and music because the bard in question is putting their heart and soul into it.  Not all bards can cast such spells, but there are some who can and others who do it better.
- Spell Notes:  In the case of bards needing song, dance, and music to use their spellwork, I just want to make sure that is kept in mind.  Because the magic is vocal, I feel that many bardic magics should have an area-of-effect based on who hears it.  So, the Sonic Scream might hurt allies while the Dreadful Dirge could somewhat affect anyone who is within hearing range.
- O/Os:  You might want to fix the link a little.

Other than that, do you have any questions?

Oh, no problem. Please note that, since my laptop is wanting to be a bit uncooperative, I'm typing this on my phone, so i apologize for any spelling or grammar errors that might come up.

- As per his heritage, I hadn't really thought about it. I kinda like the idea of him not knowing his lineage, like your tiefling, but as for OOC business, I'd say make him half drow.

- I originally planned to make him essentially a reskin of a dwarven skald (which i didn't realize is a bad combo until after I'd made him), but as I created him, he came out as more of a bard than a skald. I'll be reclassing him as a bard when i can get online.

- I got the ring of elouence from pathfinder, and according to paizo, it allows the wearer to read and speak the languages of the four alphabets inscribed on the ring, and gives bonuses to diplomacy checks. Since you've got that hatred of dwarves, I swapped out dwarven for infernal. I can change that if needed.

- I couldn't really describe it without sounding really wordy, but the journal actually serves four primary functions for Galen. It tells him who he owes money, who owes him money, what towns he is currently banned from and when said ban expires (think of it like the prison sentence in skyrim), and what bars in each town have the best booze for the best price.

- as for the spells, nothing listed can really be counted as magic, I don't think, so it's less a list of spells and more a description of skills he can use. I thought about giving him a pair of clubs for a percussion element to his songs, but thought it might not fit. I figured since the  songs are vocal they might have a deleritous effect on his allies (which should make for interesting scenes at some point, if he forgets to tell his allies to cover their ears). It's also why I added the caveat that the sonic scream kinda short circuits his singing for a few minutes; I know on the rare occasions I have to scream at the top of my lungs, I'm not exactly able to talk clearly afterward.

I'll make sure to fix the o/o when i get online. Sorry, I'm still a little new to the link system that Elliquy uses.

King Serperior

Quote from: Gateman on March 19, 2017, 03:54:26 PM
Oh, no problem. Please note that, since my laptop is wanting to be a bit uncooperative, I'm typing this on my phone, so i apologize for any spelling or grammar errors that might come up.
Not a problem at all.   I know full well the issues of using a phone to post something.
- As per his heritage, I hadn't really thought about it. I kinda like the idea of him not knowing his lineage, like your tiefling, but as for OOC business, I'd say make him half drow.
Well, for the most part, Half-Elves are easily seen as being such.  It's more subtle traits that can reveal their Elven heritage:  1).  High Elf heritage shows itself in surprisingly fair features, even among elves;  2).  Drow heritage shows itself usually in either eye-color, sensitivity to light, or hair color;  3).  Wood Elf heritage is harder to spot, but often manifests in green eyes and a slight preference for the outdoors.

That said, it would be fine if they didn't know their heritage and only knew that he was a half-elf.  In regards to my Tiefling, most Tieflings don't know their demonic parent unless they go looking for them, which my character could care less about.
- I originally planned to make him essentially a reskin of a dwarven skald (which i didn't realize is a bad combo until after I'd made him), but as I created him, he came out as more of a bard than a skald. I'll be reclassing him as a bard when i can get online.
Not to worry at all.  After all, any systems this might be based from is done so extremely loosely.
- I got the ring of elouence from pathfinder, and according to paizo, it allows the wearer to read and speak the languages of the four alphabets inscribed on the ring, and gives bonuses to diplomacy checks. Since you've got that hatred of dwarves, I swapped out dwarven for infernal. I can change that if needed.
As this isn't a system, this 'bonus' to 'diplomacy checks' won't really factor in.  However, I think a ring that allows him to read and speak the four native would be very useful and very valuable.  I would like to point out that there isn't really an 'Infernal language' in that sense, so Dwarven language would be more fitting.  I don't get where you are coming from with Dwarven Hatred.  Rather, the Dwarves just dislike dealing with Elves and Orcs, but can come to respect one that actually earns it.

That said, that ring would be a valuable enchanted item, so if a spellcaster or someone who knows about such rings discovers it, it would be a good thing in their minds to steal and sell off.   >:)
- I couldn't really describe it without sounding really wordy, but the journal actually serves four primary functions for Galen. It tells him who he owes money, who owes him money, what towns he is currently banned from and when said ban expires (think of it like the prison sentence in skyrim), and what bars in each town have the best booze for the best price.
Alright, that works in my opinion.  Makes me wonder how many bans he has from the various taverns and towns....
- as for the spells, nothing listed can really be counted as magic, I don't think, so it's less a list of spells and more a description of skills he can use. I thought about giving him a pair of clubs for a percussion element to his songs, but thought it might not fit. I figured since the  songs are vocal they might have a deleritous effect on his allies (which should make for interesting scenes at some point, if he forgets to tell his allies to cover their ears). It's also why I added the caveat that the sonic scream kinda short circuits his singing for a few minutes; I know on the rare occasions I have to scream at the top of my lungs, I'm not exactly able to talk clearly afterward.
That is why I said that Bards don't technically have magic in the same sense as most mages since their internal magic comes to form through their songs and music.  That said, the more vocal abilities certainly would have positive and negative impacts depending on what is used and who can hear them. 

In regards to these clubs, I would say to add in what sort of instrument he uses as every good bard has some kind of musical device.  If he uses drums, some sort of clubs could be used, but I don't think a 'one man band' is feasible.
I'll make sure to fix the o/o when i get online. Sorry, I'm still a little new to the link system that Elliquy uses.
Not to worry at all.  Just fix it up when you are able.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace