Interest check - D&D 3.5 in Regency England

Started by HopeFox, December 20, 2014, 01:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kckolbe

Ya know, a man of the cloth in this time *would* be interesting.  The Church was not particularly antagonistic then.

And Angie, having two would be more interesting, and allow us freedom to explore other paths based on the story.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

ShadowFox89

I could possibly play a Crusader for more of the Paladiny style thing.... without the pants on head retarded morale code that 3.5 sticks them with. Alternatively, a Warblade who has seen years of service in her majesty's royal knight-guard.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

HopeFox

Quote from: kckolbe on December 20, 2014, 10:16:47 PM
Ya know, a man of the cloth in this time *would* be interesting.  The Church was not particularly antagonistic then.

And Angie, having two would be more interesting, and allow us freedom to explore other paths based on the story.

Being a cleric (of one of the non-illegal gods) also has the possibility of having a parish to look after. That means church politics on one side, and responsibility for the moral and spiritual guidance of your parish on the other.

(Note that a cleric of Pelor sees the "moral and spiritual guidance" of her parish very differently from how a cleric of Hextor sees it.)

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 20, 2014, 10:21:08 PM
I could possibly play a Crusader for more of the Paladiny style thing.... without the pants on head retarded morale code that 3.5 sticks them with. Alternatively, a Warblade who has seen years of service in her majesty's royal knight-guard.

Crusaders are fun! If anyone does want to play a paladin, I will make sure the code of conduct isn't too dumb.
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

RubySlippers

Quote from: HopeFox on December 20, 2014, 09:49:37 PM
Sorry, just saw this bit. Looks nice! She does sound very tough, with a very personal, organic approach to magic.

Battle Sorcerer is cool. Where is the Animal Companion variant from?

Unearthed Arcana, can't give you a page my main source is online when playing tabletop I use the 2nd Edition or DnD 3.0.

http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/variantClasses.htm

Its a minor change I want a tough dog, grrrr, to watch her back and its a good urban animal and likely more loyal than anyone else in her life that matters. But there are options for a Familiar proper for a scoundrel. Its still up in the air.

kckolbe

Ideas are finally starting to form.  I think I might actually enjoy playing a theist in a game like this.  What would you consider altering about paladin restrictions?
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Angie

Quote from: kckolbe on December 20, 2014, 10:16:47 PM

Bit more interested in party balance, a Ranger (while incredibly weak in the grand scheme of things) brings a huge number of skills to the party. Like making sure we can eat and find shelter in the woods.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

HopeFox

Quote from: RubySlippers on December 20, 2014, 10:30:48 PM
Unearthed Arcana, can't give you a page my main source is online when playing tabletop I use the 2nd Edition or DnD 3.0.

http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/variantClasses.htm

Its a minor change I want a tough dog, grrrr, to watch her back and its a good urban animal and likely more loyal than anyone else in her life that matters. But there are options for a Familiar proper for a scoundrel. Its still up in the air.

Seeing as it's only as powerful as the companion of a druid of half her level, I don't have a problem with that variant.

Quote from: kckolbe on December 20, 2014, 10:32:08 PM
Ideas are finally starting to form.  I think I might actually enjoy playing a theist in a game like this.  What would you consider altering about paladin restrictions?

Well, I'm generally okay with paladins employing "dishonourable tactics" (deception and trickery) against evil foes, they just can't use them in their own lives for their own benefit. And "respecting legitimate authority" is very much subject to how the paladin feels about the legitimacy of said authority - he's under no obligation to obey an evil ruler, and in fact is obliged to overthrow them if he can. That being said, though, they are expected to report criminals to the authorities unless the authorities are evil or the criminal is in the middle of some greater mission, so it would probably be better not to have one, as I'd like to have some room for characters on both sides of the law.

Clerics are less restricted than paladins, and just have to uphold their deity's principles, which has plenty of room for interpretation.

ShadowFox89

I'll probably end up making a warblade How is gender equality within the setting? Same as it might be for the period?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

HopeFox

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 21, 2014, 02:23:16 AM
I'll probably end up making a warblade How is gender equality within the setting? Same as it might be for the period?

I'm glad you asked! Gender imbalance in this setting has never been as bad as it was in reality, because there have always been women born with the potential to become warlocks, sorcerers and divine souls, which will happen regardless of education and opportunities. As such, large-scale oppression of women generally hasn't worked out very well for the oppressors.

For the most part, while gender oppression isn't as bad, gender roles are still pretty strong. Men are more likely to work outside the home, while women work in the home (and keeping house in the days before electricity was a full time job, even without children to raise). Among the upper classes, gentlemen are more likely to have active professions, while ladies pay visits and organise social events (again, harder than it sounds).

When it comes to people who live outside the everyday mould of lower-class drudgery or upper-class idleness, though, gender balance is much better. Women are just as likely as men to study at university and become scholars, doctors, barristers, wizards and priests. Some elements of society might be rather patronising about it (and say things like "Oh, my dear, it's so wonderful that you've learned how to cast an invisibility spell" in much the same way as they might say "Oh, my dear, it's so wonderful that you're doing so well at the pianoforte"), but it's not considered socially unacceptable for women to pursue those professions.

The army is about 85% men, so it's a very heavily male-dominated field, but there are women in it, and again, it's not socially unacceptable for lower-class women to be soldiers, or highborn women to be officers. The British Navy is gender segregated, though - there are men's ships and women's ships, to prevent impropriety at sea. (It's foolproof!)

Women definitely get the short end of the stick when it comes to sexuality, though. Becoming pregnant out of wedlock is a big no-no, and being known to be sexually promiscuous will definitely harm a woman's marriage prospects. A reputation for philandering will also reflect poorly on a man, but not to nearly as great an extent. In the days before DNA testing, a man placed great importance on being sure that his wife's children were his, and a woman known for promiscuity before marriage was likely to continue to be so after marriage.

On the upside, though, women's romantic and sexual relationships with other women were almost entirely ignored by men, and generally considered to be a harmless part of being a young woman. Conversely, a man known for sexual relations with other men would be considered "less manly" and not really good husband material.

Now, female PCs can get away with a lot. As women with PC classes, they're automatically "atypical", and thus can do pretty much whatever they want. A female PC with a reputation for promiscuity will find some doors barred to her, but generally her heroics and competence will open more doors than her sex life closes. Even a straight-laced duke will see the value in marrying his son to a ninth level fighter, no matter how much she gets around.

ShadowFox89

*nod* Will likely be rolling up either a female elf warlock or warblade. Or possibly a telepath.

If you need help running a large game, I'd be happy to lend assistance.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kimmy

Just a little something I learnt and investigated today about the London Season and it's timing.

Quote from: The House of Commons, from The Microcosm of London (1808-10)"The London season developed to coincide with the sitting of parliament. During the months when parliament was in session, members of both Houses needed to be in attendance in London and came to the capital bringing their families with them. The London season grew up in response to this influx of upper class people who needed to be entertained."

The season begins in late October with the opening of the new session, ending in June with the summer recess.” It would shift later to be slightly earlier, but this gives people an idea of when most families would travel into London for business or pleasure. Younger siblings would also arrive later in the year, leaving after a month or two to return to their schooling.
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
A&A           RL Issues: Some Insomnia.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

HopeFox

Quote from: Kimmy on December 21, 2014, 05:06:03 AM
Just a little something I learnt and investigated today about the London Season and it's timing.

The season begins in late October with the opening of the new session, ending in June with the summer recess.” It would shift later to be slightly earlier, but this gives people an idea of when most families would travel into London for business or pleasure. Younger siblings would also arrive later in the year, leaving after a month or two to return to their schooling.

Well then! That is interesting. I haven't even thought about what Parliament gets up to in this setting. Probably the usual stuff.

I'm still trying to decide what will be the main setting for the game (although there will be plenty of travel around Britain and beyond). I'm thinking either Bath (or, as my girlfriend and I like to call it, Regency Tijuana), or London itself. It may come down to what sort of characters we have.

Kimmy

I'm happy for my character to be placed anywhere. Both Bath & London are places where her father could have interests, so I'm flexible. And Bathe might actually make more sense over London - it might be easier to handle scandal in Bathe than in the streets of London.

Here is my Character - I tried to keep her bio's short, but it really introduces 4 characters & two histories, so it's not a short read. Hopefully fun however & well sectioned so those wishing to skim can gather just what they need to know.

Name: Lady Vittoria Cerebus
Title: Lady
Stats: High Intelligence. An above average Dexterity or Constitution would be preferable, whilst her Strength, Wisdom or even Charisma could be her weaknesses.
Traits: Loyal, Playful, Intelligent, Competitive, Predatory and Charming.
Likes: Costume Balls, Dancing, Delicately Cooked Meats, Close Knit Company, Strong Leaders and Capable People.
Dislikes: Cowardice, Mistrust, Injury, Silver, Sharp Scents, Undead and Misused Tyranny.
Class: Animal/Lycanthrope, perhaps with a starting level of Rogue to demonstrate her education and killer instinct? Werewolf is a class that takes 4 to 9 levels, so she won't need to consider multiclassing for a while. Though classes related to political skill, hunting or even empowered transformations could be suitable should the campaign reach such a level. Such a choice would be shaped by the experience of the campaign of course.

The Household of Cerebus

~ Lord Venturo Cerebus, married to Lady Isabella Cerebus.
When Venturo took his place as head of the family, he sought out druids to help him build up his lands. He worked with their advice, planning the crops so the land could flow and flourish. Their advice helped him produce wines with a taste beyond anything they had made before. Their brand became well sought - but it was the English that offered the best price for fine exotic wine. Espcially if it was French Elven in origin. Venturo traveled to England, hoping to secure business relations with one of the merchant houses. One house offered him his chance. They had land they wished to see utilized as a winery. With his help, they could develop a second wine field - and they would ensure his wines reached the best merchants for the best prices. Should the arrangement work out, they might even offer Venturo or perhaps one of his future sons marriage with one of their daughters.

But then feud turned to war. The merchant house was hit hard - their boys killed in war, their lands burned by spell and fire, their daughters left alone to marry or fall poor. Venturo had watched all this - trapped by the warfront. He had seen their eldest stand delicate yet resolute against all that befell them. And he stood in awe of her strength and pride. When he offered his hand - and wealth to repair their lands, he wasn't refused. Despite his lack of title, he could provide for them all. Venturo called druids to repair his lands, following well their advice - and demonstrating what he had learnt working his own lands. When he spoke of war and his inability to defend his family, they offered him a means. A magic that could sustain within his blood. It would give him strength inhuman and vitality enough to ignore mortal wounds. There would be a price - to maintain his lands. All his lands. For the power within his blood would be a reflection of those lands. If he let them to barren ruin, so would his line fall barren. If they fell to disease, so would his blood grow weak. If he allowed corruption, so would his heart blacken. But if he cared well for his land, tended their disaster and soothed their ills, then his blood would flow strong with the magic. And all his line would carry this gift!

The gift of lycanthropy gave him the power to survive the trials ahead. He went to war, seeking to protect his home. He returned to discover he had three daughters - triplets though they bore only similarity in resemblance and nature. And thus he set about rebuilding his home and land, so his daughters would rise strong and powerful.

~ Twin Sister Dionora: Dionora is more wolf than human, with her behavior quite problematic for her teachers. She is a willful, playful child who responds far too strongly to male company. Her tutors fear she would be impossible to wed with such scandalous ways. It is even rumored this incorrigble playful behaviour towards young men might delay her London season a year. Though presenting three twinned daughters would be difficult for any family - let alone one of new money and title. Dionora just enjoys male company. She is happiest when she had a few boys to play amongst one another. She may well settle for one who is strong enough to keep her his - though her playful ways suggest that any rake of a man might end up with a wife not opposed to more open arrangements when it comes to the marital beds.

~ Twin Sister Lucieta: Lucieta is more human than wolf - and she doesn't appear to be able to transform. A fact she considers to be a blessing - she can live out a normal life. She looks forward to her first season about London, hoping to find herself respectable husband. Though she still demonstrates the wolfish qualities - seeking out a desirable, dominant man she can influence and manage with a delicate but resolute hand - just like her mother. She is very loyal and obedient in her ways - and it is expected that she will be the first to marry & the daughter to inherit the family title (unless her husband already has title and wouldn't mind endowing it upon the husband of another daughter).

Personality
Vittoria is a playful creature. She likes to laugh and smile - she hates to hide her emotions but will usually do so when in public. She likes to gather herself a pack of friends whenever possible. Once you earn her trust, you will be included into her closest thoughts and desires. Should you betray that trust, you will earn yourself a deep enmity that will be difficult to surpass. Perhaps most of all, Vittoria likes to challenge others, enjoy contest and success in equal proportion. She also enjoys the company of those who can best her.

When Vittoria speaks, she likes to be intimate towards her listeners. She will often make subtle gestures to touch her friends and family, linking arms and holding hands, holding their shoulder or brushing their arm as she talks. She likes to be close with people she cares about - but this doesn't extend to any other. Those who breach her boundary with uninvited familiarity will be met with instant hostility.

Relationships
Vittoria doesn't make light friendships. You are either her family, her closest friend or just some acquaintance, perhaps even a useful one. She considers herself to be the dominant one of her pack, so she influences and controls her friends accordingly. She shares her deepest secrets and desires freely - expecting such in return. There is little she wouldn't consider sharing with her friends. She also likes to remain close them - often sneaking out of her bed at night to lay with a friend, gossiping and snuggling into their warmth until the dawn sun meets her body - or her displeased maid finds her and begs her not to be so promiscuous. She often then tricks her maid into sharing her own bed for the night.

Vittoria isn't a sexually obsessed creature. She likes strong males and intimate relationships - but they aren't sexual. When others are sexually aroused however, she knows. She can smell the desire or satisfaction within them. And this does arouse her sexual nature. Then she is quite to happy to share in their passions - be it tale and exploit or actual act of love making. She also considers mates to be an extension of the pack - so any of her friends who has a lover or husband, would be welcome to invite Vittoria into their play. Just as she might share her own love with her friends. She wouldn't even oppose their husbands and lovers sharing each other - despite the slant towards gay acts. Why, even Vittoria's sisters could share this open bond. Though only Dionora actually would consider it. But Lucieta might submit before her husband if he held her reins fiercely enough. Despite all of this openness towards sex, it should be noted that most of this willingness is something Vittoria hasn't yet discovered within herself. They just lie as vivid dreams and lingering thoughts towards the relationships she observes.

There is one exception however - when winter falls late. Then the girls fall into season more strongly than ever. And then the desire to mate will lead to a week of passionate feelings and romantic notions. The daughters would usually be starting their schooling during this time, so there were few boys to pine over. Instead, these intense passions would fall upon their teachers and friends, tangling their relationships into closer affairs that, so long as the school isn't forced to make itself aware of them, they would be acceptable. Scandal is disaster - but who can fault close friendships behind closed doors?
But now school is over and the London season begins this winter. Will the daughters be able to withhold their urges whilst wandering the public galleries? Or will their passion leave them scandalized?

Vittoria's Personal History
Vittoria was raised in both Venice & England. She hates to travel - finding the road and sea voyage a horrible nightmare of rolling ground and enclosed wood. But she loves to visit her friends - almost never leaving their company until parents shoo them apart in frustration. She is happiest when she can ride a horse all day.
Vittoria boarded in a select seminary- though she left under a hushed scandal. It was said she and her sisters kept large (fighting?) dogs on the school grounds - though no one ever caught the beasts so the matter couldn't be pressed. However with the rumor that the Cerebus estate houses many such creatures - with some even saying their wealth comes more from betting beasts than wine... It left a quiet stain on their record.
Vittoria is considered to be a polite lady who shows too much affection towards her friends and challenges her betters far too much to ever find a suitable husband! Unlike her sister Lucieta, who is a model student. Perhaps too bright and willful, but she is a daughter who will represent her house well within society. We won't delve into Dionora's behavior. She is far too familiar with any male and she really ought to have such behavior whipped from her body! However, if you can cool her excitement towards the male sex, she is a bright, bubbly girl who will win many hearts. Though it is doubted she will ever find a man with the energy to keep her his. More likely she will fall prey to some charming rake who will take her as his wife - and partner in future sin!

Skills & Languages for Select Young Ladies

Languages: Italian, English & Wolf/Canine. (Canines don't speak with intelligence, but Vittoria can read them to understand what they are trying to say with their barks and body language, whilst also utilizing her own body language to ensure they understand her emotions and stance as well).
Other languages might be Elvish or a non-human tongue native to Italy.

Skills:
~ Perform Dance
~ Perform Singing
~ Diplomacy
~ Spot
~ Listen
~ Hide
~ Move Silently
~ Survival
Other Skills to Consider (Rogues can have a lot of skill points!):
~ Bluff
~ Riding
~ Swimming
~ Knowledge Skills appropriate to young ladies.

Character Flaws

I realize flaws aren't rewarded. But that doesn't mean my character won't have any.

~ Flaw, Predatory Nature: Horses & Cats particularly dislike her - like they might any large predator moving amongst them. Riding horses is difficult if the creature wasn't raised on Cerebus lands. Such creatures are likely to be skittish and will attempt to throw Vittoria.

~ Flaw, Aggressive and Challenging: Vittoria is by nature a woman who likes to challenge and accept challenges. She will push matters and refuse to back down - challenging the rules of High Society whenever she loses control of this instinct. She will interfere between any she holds close bonds to as well - again ignoring propriety.
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

kckolbe

So a couple of tone questions:

What power level are you thinking for our chars?  You mentioned being atypical, but are we all prodigies?  How mundane should our starting situations be? 

Also, regarding religion, will certain cities be more loyal to certain gods like in Greek Mythology? 

Intro Thread

HopeFox

Quote from: Kimmy on December 21, 2014, 05:36:56 AM
I'm happy for my character to be placed anywhere. Both Bath & London are places where her father could have interests, so I'm flexible. And Bathe might actually make more sense over London - it might be easier to handle scandal in Bathe than in the streets of London.

Here is my Character - I tried to keep her bio's short, but it really introduces 4 characters & two histories, so it's not a short read. Hopefully fun however & well sectioned so those wishing to skim can gather just what they need to know.

Name: Lady Vittoria Cerebus
Title: Lady
Stats: High Intelligence. An above average Dexterity or Constitution would be preferable, whilst her Strength, Wisdom or even Charisma could be her weaknesses.
Traits: Loyal, Playful, Intelligent, Competitive, Predatory and Charming.
Likes: Costume Balls, Dancing, Delicately Cooked Meats, Close Knit Company, Strong Leaders and Capable People.
Dislikes: Cowardice, Mistrust, Injury, Silver, Sharp Scents, Undead and Misused Tyranny.
Class: Animal/Lycanthrope, perhaps with a starting level of Rogue to demonstrate her education and killer instinct? Werewolf is a class that takes 4 to 9 levels, so she won't need to consider multiclassing for a while. Though classes related to political skill, hunting or even empowered transformations could be suitable should the campaign reach such a level. Such a choice would be shaped by the experience of the campaign of course.

The Household of Cerebus

~ Lord Venturo Cerebus, married to Lady Isabella Cerebus.
When Venturo took his place as head of the family, he sought out druids to help him build up his lands. He worked with their advice, planning the crops so the land could flow and flourish. Their advice helped him produce wines with a taste beyond anything they had made before. Their brand became well sought - but it was the English that offered the best price for fine exotic wine. Espcially if it was French Elven in origin. Venturo traveled to England, hoping to secure business relations with one of the merchant houses. One house offered him his chance. They had land they wished to see utilized as a winery. With his help, they could develop a second wine field - and they would ensure his wines reached the best merchants for the best prices. Should the arrangement work out, they might even offer Venturo or perhaps one of his future sons marriage with one of their daughters.

But then feud turned to war. The merchant house was hit hard - their boys killed in war, their lands burned by spell and fire, their daughters left alone to marry or fall poor. Venturo had watched all this - trapped by the warfront. He had seen their eldest stand delicate yet resolute against all that befell them. And he stood in awe of her strength and pride. When he offered his hand - and wealth to repair their lands, he wasn't refused. Despite his lack of title, he could provide for them all. Venturo called druids to repair his lands, following well their advice - and demonstrating what he had learnt working his own lands. When he spoke of war and his inability to defend his family, they offered him a means. A magic that could sustain within his blood. It would give him strength inhuman and vitality enough to ignore mortal wounds. There would be a price - to maintain his lands. All his lands. For the power within his blood would be a reflection of those lands. If he let them to barren ruin, so would his line fall barren. If they fell to disease, so would his blood grow weak. If he allowed corruption, so would his heart blacken. But if he cared well for his land, tended their disaster and soothed their ills, then his blood would flow strong with the magic. And all his line would carry this gift!

The gift of lycanthropy gave him the power to survive the trials ahead. He went to war, seeking to protect his home. He returned to discover he had three daughters - triplets though they bore only similarity in resemblance and nature. And thus he set about rebuilding his home and land, so his daughters would rise strong and powerful.

~ Twin Sister Dionora: Dionora is more wolf than human, with her behavior quite problematic for her teachers. She is a willful, playful child who responds far too strongly to male company. Her tutors fear she would be impossible to wed with such scandalous ways. It is even rumored this incorrigble playful behaviour towards young men might delay her London season a year. Though presenting three twinned daughters would be difficult for any family - let alone one of new money and title. Dionora just enjoys male company. She is happiest when she had a few boys to play amongst one another. She may well settle for one who is strong enough to keep her his - though her playful ways suggest that any rake of a man might end up with a wife not opposed to more open arrangements when it comes to the marital beds.

~ Twin Sister Lucieta: Lucieta is more human than wolf - and she doesn't appear to be able to transform. A fact she considers to be a blessing - she can live out a normal life. She looks forward to her first season about London, hoping to find herself respectable husband. Though she still demonstrates the wolfish qualities - seeking out a desirable, dominant man she can influence and manage with a delicate but resolute hand - just like her mother. She is very loyal and obedient in her ways - and it is expected that she will be the first to marry & the daughter to inherit the family title (unless her husband already has title and wouldn't mind endowing it upon the husband of another daughter).

Personality
Vittoria is a playful creature. She likes to laugh and smile - she hates to hide her emotions but will usually do so when in public. She likes to gather herself a pack of friends whenever possible. Once you earn her trust, you will be included into her closest thoughts and desires. Should you betray that trust, you will earn yourself a deep enmity that will be difficult to surpass. Perhaps most of all, Vittoria likes to challenge others, enjoy contest and success in equal proportion. She also enjoys the company of those who can best her.

When Vittoria speaks, she likes to be intimate towards her listeners. She will often make subtle gestures to touch her friends and family, linking arms and holding hands, holding their shoulder or brushing their arm as she talks. She likes to be close with people she cares about - but this doesn't extend to any other. Those who breach her boundary with uninvited familiarity will be met with instant hostility.

Relationships
Vittoria doesn't make light friendships. You are either her family, her closest friend or just some acquaintance, perhaps even a useful one. She considers herself to be the dominant one of her pack, so she influences and controls her friends accordingly. She shares her deepest secrets and desires freely - expecting such in return. There is little she wouldn't consider sharing with her friends. She also likes to remain close them - often sneaking out of her bed at night to lay with a friend, gossiping and snuggling into their warmth until the dawn sun meets her body - or her displeased maid finds her and begs her not to be so promiscuous. She often then tricks her maid into sharing her own bed for the night.

Vittoria isn't a sexually obsessed creature. She likes strong males and intimate relationships - but they aren't sexual. When others are sexually aroused however, she knows. She can smell the desire or satisfaction within them. And this does arouse her sexual nature. Then she is quite to happy to share in their passions - be it tale and exploit or actual act of love making. She also considers mates to be an extension of the pack - so any of her friends who has a lover or husband, would be welcome to invite Vittoria into their play. Just as she might share her own love with her friends. She wouldn't even oppose their husbands and lovers sharing each other - despite the slant towards gay acts. Why, even Vittoria's sisters could share this open bond. Though only Dionora actually would consider it. But Lucieta might submit before her husband if he held her reins fiercely enough. Despite all of this openness towards sex, it should be noted that most of this willingness is something Vittoria hasn't yet discovered within herself. They just lie as vivid dreams and lingering thoughts towards the relationships she observes.

There is one exception however - when winter falls late. Then the girls fall into season more strongly than ever. And then the desire to mate will lead to a week of passionate feelings and romantic notions. The daughters would usually be starting their schooling during this time, so there were few boys to pine over. Instead, these intense passions would fall upon their teachers and friends, tangling their relationships into closer affairs that, so long as the school isn't forced to make itself aware of them, they would be acceptable. Scandal is disaster - but who can fault close friendships behind closed doors?
But now school is over and the London season begins this winter. Will the daughters be able to withhold their urges whilst wandering the public galleries? Or will their passion leave them scandalized?

Vittoria's Personal History
Vittoria was raised in both Venice & England. She hates to travel - finding the road and sea voyage a horrible nightmare of rolling ground and enclosed wood. But she loves to visit her friends - almost never leaving their company until parents shoo them apart in frustration. She is happiest when she can ride a horse all day.
Vittoria boarded in a select seminary- though she left under a hushed scandal. It was said she and her sisters kept large (fighting?) dogs on the school grounds - though no one ever caught the beasts so the matter couldn't be pressed. However with the rumor that the Cerebus estate houses many such creatures - with some even saying their wealth comes more from betting beasts than wine... It left a quiet stain on their record.
Vittoria is considered to be a polite lady who shows too much affection towards her friends and challenges her betters far too much to ever find a suitable husband! Unlike her sister Lucieta, who is a model student. Perhaps too bright and willful, but she is a daughter who will represent her house well within society. We won't delve into Dionora's behavior. She is far too familiar with any male and she really ought to have such behavior whipped from her body! However, if you can cool her excitement towards the male sex, she is a bright, bubbly girl who will win many hearts. Though it is doubted she will ever find a man with the energy to keep her his. More likely she will fall prey to some charming rake who will take her as his wife - and partner in future sin!

Skills & Languages for Select Young Ladies

Languages: Italian, English & Wolf/Canine. (Canines don't speak with intelligence, but Vittoria can read them to understand what they are trying to say with their barks and body language, whilst also utilizing her own body language to ensure they understand her emotions and stance as well).
Other languages might be Elvish or a non-human tongue native to Italy.

Skills:
~ Perform Dance
~ Perform Singing
~ Diplomacy
~ Spot
~ Listen
~ Hide
~ Move Silently
~ Survival
Other Skills to Consider (Rogues can have a lot of skill points!):
~ Bluff
~ Riding
~ Swimming
~ Knowledge Skills appropriate to young ladies.
Character Flaws

I realize flaws aren't rewarded. But that doesn't mean my character won't have any.

~ Flaw, Predatory Nature: Horses & Cats particularly dislike her - like they might any large predator moving amongst them. Riding horses is difficult if the creature wasn't raised on Cerebus lands. Such creatures are likely to be skittish and will attempt to throw Vittoria.

~ Flaw, Aggressive and Challenging: Vittoria is by nature a woman who likes to challenge and accept challenges. She will push matters and refuse to back down - challenging the rules of High Society whenever she loses control of this instinct. She will interfere between any she holds close bonds to as well - again ignoring propriety.

Lovely! There's a lot to absorb here, so I won't comment or pass judgement on most of it tonight, but I do very much like the look of this. I think starting with a level of Rogue would be best, then taking a level of werewolf at level 2, wolf at level 3, and then whatever combination you want from there. A werewolf who can play the pianoforte sounds good in any party, to me!

Quick question: is she out? That is, has she had her social debut, and it is thus acceptable for people to be courting her?

Quote from: kckolbe on December 21, 2014, 06:14:11 AM
What power level are you thinking for our chars?  You mentioned being atypical, but are we all prodigies?  How mundane should our starting situations be?

I mostly meant atypical in the sense that you're not peasant labourers or useless rich kids. You have both the skills and the motivation to go out and accomplish things. You're certainly on the upper end of the curve when it comes to the overall population, but you're not the elite of the elite. Not yet, anyway. I'd like your starting situations to be... not mundane per se, but common enough that there are other people like you around. Part of this game is going to be about social interaction with your peers, so you need to have peers. Noble characters should be minor nobility, crafts-based characters can be up-and-coming professionals but not established guildmasters, that sort of thing.

QuoteAlso, regarding religion, will certain cities be more loyal to certain gods like in Greek Mythology? 

Sure, that seems reasonable. Northumbria, which is right on the border between Scotland and England, is very much devoted to Saint Cuthbert, for example, since that's where he lived as a mortal. Cambridge is very strongly devoted to Boccob, naturally.

A note on religion - it's generally accepted that the gods all exist. Worship is less a matter of belief and more a matter of devotion. There's nothing wrong with offering prayers to other gods from time to time - most people offer prayers to Fharlangn when they're beginning a long journey, for example. Your patron deity is just the one who gets the bulk of your prayers, whose philosophy you follow most closely.

kckolbe

Name: Undecided
Title: Priest (or equivalent)
Stats: Very high Int, above average Con, slightly above average Dex, average Str and Cha, weakness in Wis
Traits: Deliberate, Intelligent, Humble, Ambitious, Analytical
Dislikes: Haste, Boastful types, Barbarians (more the type than the class)
Class: Archivist, with feats in knowledge and combat

Main god: Boccob
Community god: (Undecided)
Work God: Delleb
Battle God: Halmyr
Recreational God: Lastai
Personal God: Wee Jas

Intro Thread

Kimmy

QuoteQuick question: is she out? That is, has she had her social debut, and it is thus acceptable for people to be courting her?

I imagine she might start her first season for the game, but the she could be put ahead a few months or even a year into her story. It really depends on the story your running. Her first season will focus on one area - whilst her second will give her more free reign to travel. On the other hand, I imagine adventure will cause chaos no matter what. I also expect scandal to arise where they cross.

So the style of story is still a big question for me. I'd like to know more of your thoughts about how adventure will tie into it all.

Another question I have is what method for rolling stats will you pick - a generous method creates lots of strengths whilst a more normal method creates one or two weaknesses - and straight 3d6 can be just cruel! I don't mind the method but this one element has such a huge impact on your character's strengths, looks and weaknesses... I'd like to know if Vittoria can afford to be charming or if she's more dominant and abrasive.

RubySlippers

Quote from: HopeFox on December 21, 2014, 03:26:21 AM
I'm glad you asked! Gender imbalance in this setting has never been as bad as it was in reality, because there have always been women born with the potential to become warlocks, sorcerers and divine souls, which will happen regardless of education and opportunities. As such, large-scale oppression of women generally hasn't worked out very well for the oppressors.

For the most part, while gender oppression isn't as bad, gender roles are still pretty strong. Men are more likely to work outside the home, while women work in the home (and keeping house in the days before electricity was a full time job, even without children to raise). Among the upper classes, gentlemen are more likely to have active professions, while ladies pay visits and organise social events (again, harder than it sounds).

When it comes to people who live outside the everyday mould of lower-class drudgery or upper-class idleness, though, gender balance is much better. Women are just as likely as men to study at university and become scholars, doctors, barristers, wizards and priests. Some elements of society might be rather patronising about it (and say things like "Oh, my dear, it's so wonderful that you've learned how to cast an invisibility spell" in much the same way as they might say "Oh, my dear, it's so wonderful that you're doing so well at the pianoforte"), but it's not considered socially unacceptable for women to pursue those professions.

The army is about 85% men, so it's a very heavily male-dominated field, but there are women in it, and again, it's not socially unacceptable for lower-class women to be soldiers, or highborn women to be officers. The British Navy is gender segregated, though - there are men's ships and women's ships, to prevent impropriety at sea. (It's foolproof!)

Women definitely get the short end of the stick when it comes to sexuality, though. Becoming pregnant out of wedlock is a big no-no, and being known to be sexually promiscuous will definitely harm a woman's marriage prospects. A reputation for philandering will also reflect poorly on a man, but not to nearly as great an extent. In the days before DNA testing, a man placed great importance on being sure that his wife's children were his, and a woman known for promiscuity before marriage was likely to continue to be so after marriage.

On the upside, though, women's romantic and sexual relationships with other women were almost entirely ignored by men, and generally considered to be a harmless part of being a young woman. Conversely, a man known for sexual relations with other men would be considered "less manly" and not really good husband material.

Now, female PCs can get away with a lot. As women with PC classes, they're automatically "atypical", and thus can do pretty much whatever they want. A female PC with a reputation for promiscuity will find some doors barred to her, but generally her heroics and competence will open more doors than her sex life closes. Even a straight-laced duke will see the value in marrying his son to a ninth level fighter, no matter how much she gets around.

Social standing matters to, a criminal class person who cares, seriously your scum with scum values if a bloke likes sticking it into another blokes who cares, and a woman with a woman who cares and you get knocked up out of wedlock its not unexpected having people of low morals not being moral. In fact they may be trash but with more freedom than anyone else if a woman would join the military its likely a step-up in some circles.  :D

Or like my character would say my mums a whore, my step-day a common law husband a scoundrel whose two redeeming features were he never hit me more than I had coming and never raped a baby into me for that I'm grateful so what more do you genteel people expect from little old me?

As for states I want a choice of rolling on here or a good point buy amount, might I suggest this:

Roll but if your abilities are worse than this you get this: 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16. If you want to take these well you might roll overall average with one eighteen and opt to keep the rolled results.

ShadowFox89

Something I'll probably use for a later game is the DM rolling a bunch of stats, picking the best three of the lot, then letting the players pick....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Reia

Ooh, this has definitely caught my eye! Room for more?
[tr][td]

Updated: 03/24/19
[/td][td]
Updated: 06/24/12
[/td][td]
Updated: 07/20/15
[/td][td]
Posted: 11/24/14
[/td][td]
Updated: 03/04/19
[/td][/tr][/table]

RubySlippers

Well I will roll 4d6 dropping one die see how that works I need to get to work on my character:

Roll Result: DianeK rolled: 4d6, keeping 3 dice
Comment: Regency England Character Roll 1
Result: 1, 6, 2, 2,
Total: 10

Comment: Regency England Character Roll 2
Result: 3, 4, 5, 3,
Total: 12

Comment: Regency England Character Roll 3
Result: 5, 1, 6, 6,
Total: 17

Comment: Regency England Character Roll 4
Result: 1, 5, 4, 2,
Total: 11

Comment: Regency England Character Roll 5
Result: 3, 4, 6, 1,
Total: 13

Comment: Regency England Character Roll 6
Result: 6, 3, 2, 1,
Total: 11

So 10, 11, 11, 12, 13, 17. Not bad overall.

Strength 12
Dexterity 13
Constitution 11
Intelligence 11
Wisdom 10
Charisma 17

And need a pic:

or

ShadowFox89

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Roll Result: ShadowFox89 rolled: 4d6, keeping 3 dice
Comment:
Result: 6, 4, 5, 6,

Comment:
Result: 2, 5, 5, 1,

Comment:
Result: 5, 2, 5, 4,
Total: 14

Comment:
Result: 5, 5, 3, 4,

Comment:
Result: 3, 2, 6, 4,

Comment:
Result: 4, 5, 2, 3,
Call me Shadow
My A/A

RubySlippers

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 21, 2014, 03:08:10 PM
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Comment:
Result: 6, 4, 5, 6,

Comment:
Result: 2, 5, 5, 1,

Comment:
Result: 5, 2, 5, 4,

Comment:
Result: 5, 5, 3, 4,

Comment:
Result: 3, 2, 6, 4,

Comment:
Result: 4, 5, 2, 3,

Nice. Its not your stats though its how well you use them.  :D

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kimmy

We don't have any character creation rules listed yet... Just to point out for the new comers. The GM is going to have to get on that... Character ideas are spawning quickly it seems.

Still, now I want to roll some dice... But I don't want to waste any good luck! I've had a string of bad luck for characters recently... I don't want to waste whatever good luck I'm building up! Mostly because I can't throw the dice roller into the naughty corner if it misbehaves...