Silent Hill: Isolation (Psychological Horror, puzzle solving) - always open!

Started by Remiel, June 14, 2017, 01:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remiel

Silent Hill: Isolation

Welcome to Silent Hill.  Once a quaint, bucolic resort town in New England, Silent Hill has in recent times become eponymous with horror and dread.   Although it has always had something of a dark and troubled history, it wasn't until the late 1990s that it fell into decay.  Former residents say that it is a cursed place, in which reality, dreams, and nightmares often blur and intersect; the reasons for this are varied and many, as prevalent theories differ and often contradict.   One thing that most of them can agree on, though, is that a thick fog, born of Toluca Lake, an otherwise picturesque natural landmark upon which the town was built, permanently enshrouds the streets of Silent Hill, lending the city an ethereal, ghostly character.

There are whispers about Alessa and Dahlia Gilespie, and about the Order of Valtiel, a doomsday cult which seems to have permeated the town in its later years; whether there is any truth to these rumors is unknown.  What is known is that outsiders feel sometimes drawn to Silent Hill for inexplicable reasons, reasons of which they themselves may not even be aware.  What do they find there?  What do they seek?  Much of the lore, to this very day, remains a mystery.

--Welcome to Silent Hill, author: kdoc
alt.rec.urbanlegends.silenthill

Silent Hill:  Isolation is a small group game, intended for no more than 6 players.  For those of you who are not familiar with the Silent Hill setting, this will be a game focused on psychological horror.  What has always made the Silent Hill franchise great is that, unlike most horror settings, it does not rely on shock, gore, and jump scares, even though it certainly has those in spades; rather, what makes Silent Hill unique is the sense of slow, creeping dread it inspires.   It's in the air, the walls, in the very ground itself; there is something very, very wrong with the town.  True, it is populated with a host of nightmare visions, but even without them, Silent Hill inspires a sense of fear, of horror, of guilt and regret, without actively throwing it in your face.  Silent Hill doesn't want to kill you.  No, Silent Hill wants to make you suffer.

For this game, each player will have one character, and each character will have a dark secret which only they and the GM will know.  Much of the experience will center around these dark secrets, which the town will passive-aggressively try to use against the characters.

This will NOT be a sandbox game; it will be largely GM-driven, although I do not intend to lead the players around on a leash.  They will (largely) have the freedom to do as they wish.  However, actions do have consequences, and the wrong actions will be punished.

WARNING! Like anything that has to do with Silent Hill, this game will feature mature and potentially disturbing content.  If you are easily squicked out by horror movies or triggered by serious subjects such as euthanasia, suicide, rape, abuse, or torture, this is not the game for you.  Sex may happen between characters, but it will not be the major focus of the game.  Players that wish to flush out a particular scene or sexual encounter are asked to take that interaction to a separate thread.

This game has the potential to move in any direction, but will focus on the theme of isolation.  Particularly, I want to see how a small group of strangers will react when finding themselves thrust into a surreal, otherworldly environment.  I suppose that's why post-apocalyptic settings have always appealed to me--the idea that a diverse group of people who otherwise probably wouldn't have anything to do with each other must depend upon each other for survival.

There will be a set posting order, in order to encourage accountability and to keep the game from stalling out.  Recommended response time is within one week or less.   However, I do not intend to be draconian about enforcing this rule as long as there is a good-faith effort to stay engaged; if you tell me "hey, I have some shit going on this week, do you mind if we skip my post?" I'm almost certainly going to be cool with it.  Also, I'm not looking for epic-length novelettes, here; often, a single paragraph will be quite sufficient.  Quality over quantity.

It's just another dull Tuesday afternoon, a little after lunchtime.  As you glance out the window, you note that the sky is shrouded in a layer of grey, completely obscuring the sun.  It's a flat day, the kind of day in which the quiet hum of the air conditioning unit becomes a dull roar.

Upon impulse, you check your email.  You, apparently, have one new message, from an address you don't recognize.  It reads as follows:

Sent: Monday, June 8th, 7:09 AM
To:
(your email address)
Subject: Silent Hill
attachment: 000013261.jpg

Hello,  my friend.

I need to ask you a favor.  You don't know me, so I have no right to expect you to help me--there's a good chance you've already deleted this email--but I'm hoping you will anyway. 

It all started when I came to a town called Silent Hill.  I thought it would be nice, a vacation from the usual routine.  I'd heard good things about it and figured I'd spend the weekend there before meeting up with some college friends.

But when I got here, it wasn't at all like what I thought.  It's...empty.  Gone.  The buildings, everything are still here, but...there's nobody.  No people.  At all.  It's just one great big, silent ghost town.

Sometimes I think I can hear a dog barking, or footsteps around the corner, but I think it's my mind playing tricks on me.   As far as I can tell, I'm the only living person in the whole town.

It's been several weeks.  It's hard to keep track of time here; there's never any sun.  There's just this thick, white, all-obscuring fog, everywhere.  I think I'm losing my mind.

I tried to leave, but it's easy to get lost in this place.  And just when I thought I found a way out, I discovered it was only a dead end.  There was just this huge, deep chasm, cutting right across the street.   It's funny, because I don't remember any sort of earthquake since I've been here.    I took a picture of it with my phone, to prove I wasn't going mad (see attachment).  You can see the picture, right?  I really, really hope I haven't sent you a blank image or something.  It feels like it's a constant fight to keep my sanity.  One day bleeds into the next, and the silence is louder than any noise.   And the loneliness--the sheer, oppressive loneliness.  I've always been an introvert, always been happier doing my own thing, but I never thought I'd miss...well, people...this much.   I'd give anything to hear a human voice again, to see a human face, to have a simple conversation with a stranger.

I'm using my phone to send this.  I got your name and email address from a dream I had last night.  Maybe, once again, it's just my mind playing tricks on me, and no one will ever read this, that I've sent this email out into the void.  But I'd like to think that you're out there, that you're a real person, that you're reading this right now.

So if it's not too much trouble, could you maybe...come meet me in Silent Hill?  I'll be at the Shady Pines Hotel.   Thank you so much.  You have no idea what this means to me.

Sincerely,
Rachel

Please use the following template when creating your character:

Name: your character name
Birthdate: when was your character born?
Blood Type: your character's blood type
Personality: a brief description of your character's surface personality.  How does he/she interact with others?  How do others see him/her?
History: a brief biography of your character.  What was their childhood like?  Did they suffer any trauma growing up, or as an adult?
Skills:  any special skills they bring to the party.  Are they trained in self defense?  First Aid?  Hotwiring a car?  Solving puzzles?

In addition, your character will have a Dark Secret which only you and the GM will know.  I will contact you privately to discuss specifics.

Template:

[float=right][img height=250 padding=10]image goes here[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Birthdate:[/b]
[b]Blood Type:[/b]
[b]Occupation:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]
[b]Skills:[/b]

Inspiration

I find the following music from the SH3 soundtrack to be incredibly inspirational. 

Letter to my Future Self

Hometown

GnothiSeauton

If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Lady Sakura

Lockepick

Posting definite and large interest! I've wanted to play a Silent Hill based character around the concept of music/noise and emotional connections/reactions for a while -- and I think it'll fit into the isolation theme pretty well!

I'll elaborate more on the whole 'music' thing with my application, I promise.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Martee

This movie scared the shit out of me for months.

I'm in.

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

Lustful Bride

Been in a real silent hill mood lately so...im in :3

Chreestafer

“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Lady Sakura

Should we PM you these sheets or post them here?

I'm thinking of making someone with First Aid and lock picking experience.

blue bunny sparkle

CandyLips

Definitely interested, but haven't read it all yet. Currently getting ready to run out, so I'm saving this for later!

Remiel

Quote from: Lady Sakura on June 14, 2017, 01:57:21 PM
Should we PM you these sheets or post them here?

I'm thinking of making someone with First Aid and lock picking experience.

PM me, please.  Feel free to add the Dark Secret (although I must underscore the fact that this will be a secret that none of the other players will know).

Quote from: blue bunny sparkle on June 14, 2017, 03:42:49 PM
Room for one more?

Sure!  My intent was to limit the amount of players in this game to no more than six, but if there is enough interest, I may consider allowing more. :)

Chreestafer

Awesome, I'll get a character out to you asap!
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Mellific

Here's hoping you're strongly reconsidering the player count, Rem.

I am so intrigued and interested.

O/O | A/A | MM

Lady Sakura

blue bunny sparkle

Quote from: Remiel on June 14, 2017, 03:53:15 PM
Sure!  My intent was to limit the amount of players in this game to no more than six, but if there is enough interest, I may consider allowing more. :)

I don't wish to push your numbers! But would love to play, just let me know if its too many folks okay?

Remiel

Quote from: Mellific on June 14, 2017, 04:28:18 PM
Here's hoping you're strongly reconsidering the player count, Rem.

I am so intrigued and interested.

It's not on a first-come, first-serve basis.   As this is going to be a small group, I'm going to be selective about who we start with.   Basically, I'm looking for reliable, experienced roleplayers.  A bit of a pet peeve of mine is when people vanish without a word, so I'll be looking at your post history, as well as considering the characters themselves,  to determine our initial starting group.   I do intend to have a posting order to keep things moving smoothly, although, as I said, I understand that real life has a habit of striking at the most inopportune moments and will not hold it against anybody if they at least make a good-faith effort to let me know what's going on.

Quality writing is, of course, preferred, although I never, ever require my players to write epic-length posts when a single paragraph or even a sentence or two will do. 

That said, I fully expect people to inevitably drop out over the course of the story and new players to join as we go, so I'm designing this game with that in mind.

Mellific

Quote from: Lady Sakura on June 14, 2017, 04:32:34 PM
*tackle hugs Mellific*

Hey!

Oof! Hey there, darling! *Huggles back from the ground.*

Quote from: Remiel on June 14, 2017, 06:06:48 PM
It's not on a first-come, first-serve basis.   As this is going to be a small group, I'm going to be selective about who we start with.   Basically, I'm looking for reliable, experienced roleplayers.  A bit of a pet peeve of mine is when people vanish without a word, so I'll be looking at your post history, as well as considering the characters themselves,  to determine our initial starting group.   I do intend to have a posting order to keep things moving smoothly, although, as I said, I understand that real life has a habit of striking at the most inopportune moments and will not hold it against anybody if they at least make a good-faith effort to let me know what's going on.

Quality writing is, of course, preferred, although I never, ever require my players to write epic-length posts when a single paragraph or even a sentence or two will do. 

That said, I fully expect people to inevitably drop out over the course of the story and new players to join as we go, so I'm designing this game with that in mind.

Understood. I'll be working on a CS and sending it your way. I didn't mean to presume that just because I made a CS that I would be accepted. Thanks for your consideration. :-)

O/O | A/A | MM

MabFaerie

Oh yay, it's a real thing now! Much excite! I will get a CS sent to you later today! =3
The mind is it's own place; and can make a heaven of hell; and a hell of heaven.

Intimate Ink

Given Silent Hill has influenced a lot of my horror-themed E-writing and that I am an avid fan, going to say I am also interested if the GM decides he is up for a larger crowd.  I might not even god-mode him into marrying me (/inside joke.)

Lady Sakura

Thought this was the perfect theme song for my girlie.

If anyone one else wishes to make use of it for inspiration here.

SH4-Room of Angel

Chreestafer

Quote from: MabFaerie on June 15, 2017, 04:12:19 AM
Oh yay, it's a real thing now! Much excite! I will get a CS sent to you later today! =3

Ditto, oddly enough halfway through writing my CS last night I had a fishtank emergency and had to run out.  Long story short, I didn't get home till late and left it to sit on my pc at home.  I'll have him over to you asap today after work :)
Ons and Offs
F-List

Remiel

No rush.  Like I said, it's not first-come, first-serve.   

Remiel

Everybody, please welcome Kate Brennan to the party.

On a side note, although I typically don't like to use stylized/painted/drawn images for the character photo (just a personal preference thing--the theme of Silent Hill is, after all, gritty reality), I feel like Kate's is photorealistic enough to pass muster.

CandyLips

Quote from: Remiel on June 15, 2017, 02:29:12 PM
Everybody, please welcome Kate Brennan to the party.

On a side note, although I typically don't like to use stylized/painted/drawn images for the character photo (just a personal preference thing--the theme of Silent Hill is, after all, gritty reality), I feel like Kate's is photorealistic enough to pass muster.
Thanks! ^_^

Remiel

Loving the character submissions so far.

I'd never thought I'd say this, but I need more males.

Where's my mens at?

Chreestafer

Got home moments ago, going to shower and then continue on :)
Ons and Offs
F-List

Lockepick

I'm here! Though not sure if gays count for your ratios.

CS is coming soon -- but I don't expect you to wait around!

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

blue bunny sparkle

Quote from: Remiel on June 15, 2017, 04:45:37 PM
Loving the character submissions so far.

I'd never thought I'd say this, but I need more males.

Where's my mens at?

I'm making a MAN! whoot!

CandyLips

Lady Sakura

I am so excited for this game! Like hardcore!

Martee

I'd totally go gay for Captain Li Shang.

CS sent!  And if necessary I can rework it to a male character, just say the word.

That word is, of course, lugubrious.

Remiel

Everybody, please welcome Caroline Becker and Natasha Valentine as our latest victims.  Don't worry, mens are coming!

Also, in other news, based on what you all have told me in your Dark Secrets, I already have my first two monsters sketched out.  Mwahahahahaha.   >:)

Remiel

Also, so that makes four characters already (Gnothi, Candy, Bride, Sakura), and with the addition of Mellific, Martee, blue bunny sparkle, Chreestafer, and lockepick (I need your character submission, locke!) that brings us to nine.
I can maybe squeeze in one more, if somebody is really really interested and willing to commit.

What I'm planning to do is to split the characters into two groups.   Based on Aysande's Walking Dead model, one group will have a faster response rate (3-5 days) and the other a slower rate (one week, more or less).    The two groups may or may not encounter each other at some point down the road; I'll have to see how things go.

My question is: who would want to be in the faster group and who would want to be in the slower one?

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Remiel on June 16, 2017, 04:22:25 PM

My question is: who would want to be in the faster group and who would want to be in the slower one?

I am personally fine with either group myself :/ whichever one needs to be balanced out.

Remiel

Also also, I'm fully planning on losing some people to attrition and designing this game with that in mind.   That is, some people will drop out, and others will jump in to take their place.  So if you're a Silent Hill fan, but not one of those people I mentioned, feel free to PM me with your character concept anyway!  I may tap you to jump in at a future time!

Mellific

I don't have a preference for group placement, either. Just figured I would mention it now, before I forget.

O/O | A/A | MM

Remiel

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 16, 2017, 04:24:27 PM
I am personally fine with either group myself :/ whichever one needs to be balanced out.

Quote from: Mellific on June 16, 2017, 04:31:43 PM
I don't have a preference for group placement, either. Just figured I would mention it now, before I forget.

So what you're saying is you're giving me the power to sort you as I see fit?
Oh, you poor, poor fools.  :P

Lady Sakura

Lockepick

I'll get my sheet done tonight! Didn't realize I was lagging behind.  I already have it done in my head,  just need to put it to page. 

As slow as I've been with my sheet, I'd like to be in the fast group. 

Mellific

Quote from: Remiel on June 16, 2017, 04:34:35 PM
So what you're saying is you're giving me the power to sort you as I see fit?
Oh, you poor, poor fools.  :P

What's a little more power for the already all-powerful GM, right?  O:)

O/O | A/A | MM

Remiel

One final thing:  for those of you wondering why I'm posting all the characters myself, the answer is simple--because it gives me the ability for more mindfuckery.

I mean, how awesome would it be if, one day, you glanced at the Cast of Characters thread and discovered that all of the profile pictures had been replaced by pictures of bodybags?

I'm just sayin'.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Remiel on June 16, 2017, 05:06:17 PM
One final thing:  for those of you wondering why I'm posting all the characters myself, the answer is simple--because it gives me the ability for more mindfuckery.

I mean, how awesome would it be if, one day, you glanced at the Cast of Characters thread and discovered that all of the profile pictures had been replaced by pictures of bodybags?

I'm just sayin'.

That's...  Pretty fucking awesome.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Lady Sakura

Lustful Bride

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on June 16, 2017, 05:29:51 PM
That's...  Pretty fucking awesome.

Quote from: Lady Sakura on June 16, 2017, 05:31:15 PM
+1

That, is Silent Hill. ^_^

Out of curiosity, when will we get an OOC thread?

Lady Sakura

I already have my silent Hill music play list for writing.

😃

Remiel

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 16, 2017, 05:39:52 PM
Out of curiosity, when will we get an OOC thread?

When the game starts.  Feel free to use this one for now.

blue bunny sparkle

Slower group sounds about right for me!

Chreestafer

I am ok for either group :)

I tend to have spurts of slow responses due to my job at times, yet other times I'm sitting here waiting to respond haha.

Ons and Offs
F-List

Remiel

Q: How much do I need to know about the Silent Hill canon/lore?

A: Absolutely nothing.  In fact, knowing nothing is preferred, because I'm going to deviate a bit from the canon anyway.

That said, the one thing you should know is that SH behaves as a limbo/purgatory of sorts.  The town wants to torment you, yes, but only if you, deep down, believe you deserve to be tormented.    That's ultimately what Silent Hill is all about: taking your inner demons, making them real, and forcing you to face them head-on.

Lady Sakura

Martee you and I think alike it seems! Our characters trust no one because of what they've been through!

She is lovely.

Edit: read the others just now and there are some great character creations.

Mellific

If it matters, I'm completely willing to change Liv's blood type, since we have so many O's.

O/O | A/A | MM

Martee

You know, I actually did research into blood type dominance by ethnicity before I chose mine!  Because I'm a dork...

Quote from: Lady Sakura on June 16, 2017, 09:23:10 PM
Martee you and I think alike it seems! Our characters trust no one because of what they've been through!

She is lovely.

Edit: read the others just now and there are some great character creations.

Thanks!  I need to catch up on the character sketches, I've had a busy couple of days.

Quote from: Remiel on June 16, 2017, 04:22:25 PM

Go ahead and stick me in the slow group please, just to be on the safe side. 

Remiel

Quote from: Mellific on June 16, 2017, 09:37:25 PM
If it matters, I'm completely willing to change Liv's blood type, since we have so many O's.

It's up to you!

Lady Sakura

Quote from: Martee on June 16, 2017, 09:50:51 PM
You know, I actually did research into blood type dominance by ethnicity before I chose mine!  Because I'm a dork...

I did that too! So we both are dorks!

Imo, I think it's good all the universal blood donors so people can get blood transfusions during worse cases.

Remiel

Also, I'm not saying it matters, but I'm not saying it won't.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Lady Sakura on June 16, 2017, 09:53:53 PM
I did that too! So we both are dorks!

Imo, I think it's good all the universal blood donors so people can get blood transfusions during worse cases.

That was actually why I chose her bloodtype s O+ :P but it seems everyone had the same idea.

Lady Sakura

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 16, 2017, 09:56:59 PM
That was actually why I chose her bloodtype s O+ :P but it seems everyone had the same idea.

I picked it cause it's a common blood type amongst African Americans lol

Martee

Quote from: Remiel on June 16, 2017, 09:55:57 PM
Also, I'm not saying it matters, but I'm not saying it won't.

We really need to stop giving Remiel ideas...

CandyLips

I'd prefer to be in the fast group, but if there's no more room, I don't mind the slower-paced group.

Remiel

Here's my preliminary thoughts as far as grouping:

Group A
Hudson Allen
Natasha Valentine
Kate Brennan Kyler Bishop
Liv Anderson
Caroline Becker

Group B
Charlie Morgan
Carl Noble
Kyler Bishop Kate Brennan
Catherine Grant
Lucas Anderson
Araceli Ponce

any objections?

CandyLips

I don't mind switching if you want to make the M:F ratio to be a little more balanced. If not, looks good to me! ^_^

Remiel

Quote from: CandyLips on June 18, 2017, 03:45:39 PM
I don't mind switching if you want to make the M:F ration to be a little more balanced. If not, looks good to me! ^_^

Hrmmm, good point.

Chreestafer

Ons and Offs
F-List

Martee

I object.  You misspelled Araceli's name on the cast thread.  That'll earn a shiv to the the kidneys.   ^-^

blue bunny sparkle

Quote from: Remiel on June 18, 2017, 03:41:30 PM
Here's my preliminary thoughts as far as grouping:

Group A
Hudson Allen
Natasha Valentine
Kate Brennan Kyler Bishop
Liv Anderson
Caroline Becker

Group B
Carl Noble
Kyler Bishop Kate Brennan
Catherine Grant
Lucas Anderson
Araceli Ponce

any objections?

Looks good to me!

Lockepick

No objections here!

As a note: Kate and Hudson are both stealthy. So I can see wanting to split them up, or having them be able to work together is good too. So... no objections!

Mellific

Quote from: Martee on June 18, 2017, 10:16:44 PM
I object.  You misspelled Araceli's name on the cast thread.  That'll earn a shiv to the the kidneys.   ^-^

Oh my, if that is the punishment for a character's name, then I shudder to think what it might be for misspelling my username.  ::)

So, I'm unsure if I missed this somewhere, but did anyone specify exactly how fast the fast group is expected to post? Are we talking daily posts? Weekly? I just want to get a gauge, if it's possible.

O/O | A/A | MM

Lady Sakura

I think it was 3 to 5 days per post.

💕

Remiel

Quote from: Mellific on June 19, 2017, 09:31:20 AM
Oh my, if that is the punishment for a character's name, then I shudder to think what it might be for misspelling my username.  ::)

I don't know what you're talking about. <_<

So, I'm unsure if I missed this somewhere, but did anyone specify exactly how fast the fast group is expected to post? Are we talking daily posts? Weekly? I just want to get a gauge, if it's possible.

I was going to talk about that next.  Basically, the idea is to keep the group running smoothly--to keep it from stalling out, in other words.  I have been going back and forth on whether I want to follow Aysande's model and have a set posting order; or whether anyone can post at any time; or some hybrid of the two.   I think I'm leaning toward the hybrid model at this juncture--anyone can post at any time, but if there is inactivity, the thread defaults to a posting order.

I hope I'm not scaring anyone off with this.  I understand that real life happens, that sometimes other things have to be a priority, or that sometimes we simply don't have the energy or the muse to write.  It happens.  But like I said, as long as you make a good-faith effort to let me know what's going on, I tend to be forgiving.  Something like a "Hey, chief, I got nothing this week, can we skip my turn?" in the OOC thread should do nicely.   What I hate most of all is complete  radio silence.

Does anyone have any experience with successful group games?  Is there a reasonable posting rate that is fair?

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Remiel on June 19, 2017, 11:03:14 AM
I don't know what you're talking about. <_<

I was going to talk about that next.  Basically, the idea is to keep the group running smoothly--to keep it from stalling out, in other words.  I have been going back and forth on whether I want to follow Aysande's model and have a set posting order; or whether anyone can post at any time; or some hybrid of the two.   I think I'm leaning toward the hybrid model at this juncture--anyone can post at any time, but if there is inactivity, the thread defaults to a posting order.

I hope I'm not scaring anyone off with this.  I understand that real life happens, that sometimes other things have to be a priority, or that sometimes we simply don't have the energy or the muse to write.  It happens.  But like I said, as long as you make a good-faith effort to let me know what's going on, I tend to be forgiving.  Something like a "Hey, chief, I got nothing this week, can we skip my turn?" in the OOC thread should do nicely.   What I hate most of all is complete  radio silence.

Does anyone have any experience with successful group games?  Is there a reasonable posting rate that is fair?

I think that sounds reasonable and good to me, especially when the two groups are this size.  The hybrid model sounds like it'd be a good idea as well.

I can't speak for everyone else, but the posting rates also sound fine to me personally.  Even if it is like three to five days, it can seem a bit more than that with the amount of people.  Like, say, if you're in the back of the posting order it could be anywhere from a day (if people are posting demons) to a week or so if things slow before it's your turn to post.  Speaking from past experience.

Seeking New Stories

Lockepick

I would say we go with a hybrid -- and people just work respectfully there! If two characters are paired off in a conversation that doesn't involve anybody else -- they don't have to wait for a full circuit. If three people are in a conversation, then give everybody a chance to reply (unless they mention "Skip me"). If you say set rounds, even with the caveat that you can skip your turn, it pressures people to force a post, which I think leads to burnout. That's just my experience though.

As for a posting speed -- I don't have any preference. I'm happy to go with whatever everybody else is comfortable with. Personally: I luckily have a job where I can be on E all day -- but then on weekends I don't really post at all. The 'twice a week' or 'once per 3-5 days' formula seems to be the best balance of 'realistic' and 'keeps a game from dying' that I've seen -- but I know even that is too fast for some writers (which is fine!).

Also, I'll post this again when it gets closer: but I'll be gone from July 8th to the 16th. I might be able to read and make some quick OOC comments, but I wouldn't expect anything particularly sober eloquent during that time. I'm happy to just have Hudson follow along and be GM controlled if need be though.

Martee

Can I be the pain in the ass of the group?  Please?  Oh pretty please?

I'm kidding, a bit.  I'll state flat out I'm new at this sort of thing, so if I get a detail wrong do correct me.  Firm discipline, I always say.  If you're not bruising you're not learning.

The hybrid approach sounds good for the faster group, I think, as it lends itself to a situation where everyone is around and active and can dance in and out as necessary.  Do you think it'll work as well with the slower posting group?  I'd hate to see a situation arise where someone who truly does need the slower pace ends up completely out of the loop because other, faster, slow posters kind of took off with things.  That could be awkward. 

But again, I don't really have much in the way of first-hand experience.  I could be worrying over nothing.  Wouldn't be the first time.

Lustful Bride

I just kind of go with the flow myself. So im cool with whatever the GMs work out.

Remiel

So I have a confession to make:  when picking groups, I tried to balance the two groups based on who had similar skills and/or dark secrets than consideration for "fast" or "slow".  So, really, we have group A and group B rather than fast group and slow group.

I think a fair response rate to shoot for would be about 5 days, more or less.   I think that's fair.  So we'll go with that for now, and see how things go.  Like I said, as long as you keep the game bookmarked, and check in once in awhile, I don't intend to be too draconian.  It's only when people disappear off the grid completely that I start to get peeved.

As for the scenario that you described, Martee, I think that falls under the heading of "RP Etiquette".   If three people are in a conversation,  it's etiquette for Person A and Person B to wait for Person C to respond.   If the weeks drag on, and Person C hasn't responded...well, I think that falls under the category of "we'll deal with it when it happens."

Martee

Gotcha. The previous comments about anyone posting at any time unless things slow down was a bit confusing for me,  but I follow what you're saying about etiquette.  Understood.

Chreestafer

Well I was lured here with the promise of cake and puppies and, *proceeds to look around* I see neither!

Haha I'm ok with what ever honestly.  Like I have stated before, I spurts of free time where I sit and wait to post.  Other times I'm to busy I need have my phone remind me to breathe.
Ons and Offs
F-List

Remiel

Hey, guys.  The next couple of days will likely be busy for me, but I promise to kick things off sometime this week.

In the meantime, enjoy these pleasant, tranquil sounds of spring!

Lockepick

Lady Sakura

I'm working the night shift for the next 6 days so yeah no rush!

And screw you Otherworld! (response to the sirens)

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Remiel on June 20, 2017, 12:30:57 PM
Hey, guys.  The next couple of days will likely be busy for me, but I promise to kick things off sometime this week.

Seeking New Stories

blue bunny sparkle

Should I take that time to binge watch the show? *whispers* I've never seen an episode...

Chreestafer

Quote from: blue bunny sparkle on June 20, 2017, 07:09:27 PM
Should I take that time to binge watch the show? *whispers* I've never seen an episode...

I'm not sure there are Episodes.  I know there are two movies.  Slightly different from the game.

This gives me time to watch the Movies again to freshen up a bite.  I liked the game series growing up, but I was always a Resident Evil person first, so hopefully the movies will get me slightly caught up on the ordeal.  :)

In other words, take your time! Haha.
Ons and Offs
F-List

Remiel

The movies are okay, but not great.  An admirable attempt to pay homage to the games, but, ultimately, predictably, they went in for shock value more than the sort of psychological horror and symbolism I'm going for.

Lady Sakura

Quote from: Remiel on June 20, 2017, 07:49:44 PM
The movies are okay, but not great.  An admirable attempt to pay homage to the games, but, ultimately, predictably, they went in for shock value more than the sort of psychological horror and symbolism I'm going for.

Agreed the movies are not great in my opinion they should have let a guy play the hero instead of a woman. They also made Alessa's mother Dhalia a saint when it was she that set her daughter on fire to begin with and wanted to use her body as a vessel for a god for their cult

The movie silent Hill Revelation is pretty close to Silent Hill 3 but their are huge differences.

I'm very well versed in all the games, i own them all and have played them if anyone has questions about them.

Chreestafer

Quote from: Lady Sakura on June 20, 2017, 07:57:44 PM
Agreed the movies are not great in my opinion they should have let a guy play the hero instead of a woman. They also made Alessa's mother Dhalia a saint when it was she that set her daughter on fire to begin with and wanted to use her body as a vessel for a god for their cult

The movie silent Hill Revelation is pretty close to Silent Hill 3 but their are huge differences.

I'm very well versed in all the games, i own them all and have played them.

Agreed, like I said though it gets me in the correct mind set for the story that Remiel has for us :)

On a side note, they were at least better then The movies sad and pathetic excuse for a Resident Evil Series.  I refuse to even associate them to the game that's how angry they make me!  Good news is, rumor has it they're rebooting the series and going to "Hopefully" (and I pray to baby jesus they do) do it correctly and closely linked to the game origins.
Ons and Offs
F-List

Lady Sakura

Yes! I look forward to the reboot of that. I did really enjoy resident evil. Have you played 7 yet?

Lockepick

I really liked the first Silent Hill movie! I thought it did okay, but it tried to cover too much.

I also liked the first Resident Evil movie, as a stand alone thing. Not the best homage to the game -- but a good movie in itself? I'm a total Milla Jovovich fanboy though, so I'm likely biased.

Lustful Bride

I really like Jordan Underneath's reviews of the Silent Hill movies since it explains well why they don't work.

We seriously need an OOC >_>

blue bunny sparkle

...the sort of psychological horror and symbolism I'm going for.

Then I'm not watching anything and will excitedly await the surprise of psychological horror and symbolism Remiel has in store!

Martee

I only saw the first, and that siren and the dude with the big metal hat/mask and the Final Fantasy sword was enough ><.  No thank you so very much. 

CandyLips

I've seen both and played the second game.
Watched my mom play the first when I was younger.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Martee on June 20, 2017, 09:56:34 PM
I only saw the first, and that siren and the dude with the big metal hat/mask and the Final Fantasy sword was enough ><.  No thank you so very much.

Gotta admit...Pyramid head had a rocking body ^_^M <3

CandyLips

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 20, 2017, 10:02:51 PM
Gotta admit...Pyramid head had a rocking body ^_^M <3
I imagine he had a butterface. But like... Couldn't find a bag. ;D

Lady Sakura

Can't wait to see which monsters you bring out Remiel. Some of those creatures in SH were horrible! Like in Silent Hill 4 the room. Victim 16...was like the ring...oh and the twins...no way man! Or in Origin those creepy dolls and the weird dog looking ones...with the broken neck face thingy *Shivers*

Remiel

I think one of the creepiest SH monsters, for me, was the Twin monster.

It's horrifying enough when you realize that this is basically the ghost of the twin babies Walter Sullivan murdered merged together, but when it stops and points at you, as if to say, "this is YOUR fault.  YOU'RE the reason why this happened to us"... yeah.  Heebie-jeebies.

blue bunny sparkle

Hey guys, tropical storm headed my way tomorrow or Thursday with lots of flooding.

If I'm not around to reply this is why. My apologies!

Remiel

Oh, man.  Saw this while doing...em..."research"...and had to share.

GnothiSeauton

Looking forward to this more and more.

Seeking New Stories

Lady Sakura

Be safe bunny!

Quote from: Remiel on June 21, 2017, 12:30:56 AM
Oh, man.  Saw this while doing...em..."research"...and had to share.

Haha that was funny.

Yeah the twins creeps me out! Lucky they were easy to get past or with the good ol lead pipe! That weapon was my best friend in SH1 and SH4.

Had a few tear jerks in SH1 (Lisa) and in SH4 (Cynthia)

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on June 21, 2017, 12:38:50 AM
Looking forward to this more and more.

+1

Lady Sakura

Lustful Bride

Can we get an OOC thread? Since its kind of unfair we are constantly pushing other threads down with our conversations :/

Remiel

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 21, 2017, 09:32:34 AM
Can we get an OOC thread? Since its kind of unfair we are constantly pushing other threads down with our conversations :/

Sure.  And here it is!

persephone325

I'd just like to keep an eye on this, if that's OK.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Remiel

Sure! Unfortunately, the game is full at the moment, but if anybody drops out, I'll be looking for people to take their place!

persephone325

Quote from: Remiel on July 01, 2017, 11:49:40 AM
Sure! Unfortunately, the game is full at the moment, but if anybody drops out, I'll be looking for people to take their place!

I assumed that was the case. lol Awesome ideas like this usually fill up quick.

Thank you, Remi. ^^
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Remiel

Since we've recently lost a player, a spot has opened up for one more!

If you're interested, but feel intimidated about joining games already in progress--we've barely begun, and I'll be more than happy to hold your hand and work extensively with you so that you can hit the ground running.

persephone325

I don't know.

Spectre

Hi, I was just looking at your game and was hoping I could send in an application. I see that you're full at the moment but I'm a big fan of horror stories and would love to be considered for a spot if any become available!

Remiel

Quote from: Spectre on August 22, 2017, 06:27:26 PM
Hi, I was just looking at your game and was hoping I could send in an application. I see that you're full at the moment but I'm a big fan of horror stories and would love to be considered for a spot if any become available!

Hi, Spectre!  I'm afraid persephone just beat you to the punch.  I'll definitely let you know if another spot opens up, though!

PentheWonderful

Oof, you're full, huh? :c

And I was really interested in joining too! Do let me know if a slot has opened up. :-)
"The secret behind every genius is a heart full of sadness, a mind laced with madness, and just a little bit of magic."

Remiel

Reopening this; we have a spot for one more person of any gender!  Please PM me for details.

Salvation

Ah, closed! I love Silent Hill.   I wiil keep an eye on this, if it ever opens up.   My apologies for the resurrection of an old thread.

BrennanC97

Don't give it up,you might be more near your goals than you can imagine.