What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

The Campaign mode ranges from solid to great. It's easily the best one with the possible exception of Halo 1, though that'd be a choice of opinion :/ It's a very well made campaign, great level design, plenty of polish on the animations and visuals, and only a few odd difficulty spikes.

There's some good levels modelled off of old ones, too. The night time mission when boarding the Truth and Reconciliation is there, as is a mission inside a Covenant Cruiser. There's an urban level, much like Halo 2's New Mombasa, as well. But these are just homages, majority of the levels are unique.

My only gripe is they didn't include a Warthog race at the end :/ That was what I hated most of Halo 2... Halo 3 included it again. It's just so embedded in the Halo games at this point, to have a mad dash through an exploding area torn apart by two or three warring factions. Reach not having it is just disappointing to me.

Wolfy

Considering that Noble team most likely makes the ultimate sacrifice at the end...a Warthog race would be kind of pointless? O-o

Though..I dunno...I just got it last night, so I'm playing through it now. *pokes Sabby* No spoilers!...or else!

Sabby

Actually, the Warthog scene would have been very appropriate. I would say why, but... like you said, no spoilers. All I will say is that they were in a hurry, for something other then saving their own asses.

Callie Del Noire

Laser designator. When you have to MAC someone. 

MAC= Mass Accellerator Cannon

Heaven Sent Blossom

My Reach did not arrive today, this displeases me as I would like to get me god damn jet pack on!
Provided my head cold doesn't wipe me out this evening I guess it's back to Modern Warfare 2 MP for me, or maybe even Vandal Hearts since I've had it since it went down to 800 points and haven't played it beyond a second or two.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sabby on September 14, 2010, 10:01:50 AM
Actually, the Warthog scene would have been very appropriate. I would say why, but... like you said, no spoilers. All I will say is that they were in a hurry, for something other then saving their own asses.

Yeah! Just finished campaign. BUGGER.. I'd have skyjacked something!

Hemingway

I just got Reach. Haven't started playing yet. If it sucks, I'm blaming you, Sabby.

Callie Del Noire

"Spartans don't die, George. They're just missin' in action."

We so need a Reach Discussion for those who've finished campaign

Hemingway

Ahahaha, the farmers are speaking Hungarian.

Broken Hungarian, far as I can tell.

Oniya

I shouldn't be laughing - when I need to throw spell-work into something I'm writing, I use very broken Welsh or Greek (Latin is for the unimaginative!   ::))
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

It may not be broken, I can't really tell. I understand what they're saying, but it sounds odd. I can't tell if it's just accents I'm not used to, or because they don't know how to pronounce the words.

It's way better than the X-Files episode that had a Norwegian sailor. That sounded like the work of Google translate. D ;

I'm liking the game so far, though. Can't say I'm really surprised by any of it. After three games, you kinda know what to expect. There are some neat new guns. Which I don't really understand, as the game is a prequel, but hey, I guess it's not the first time technology in prequels somehow seems more advanced than in the sequels.

Inkidu

I picked up Resident Evil 5 again and mother frick I'm out of practice. I never beat veteran and doing it cold even with my mostly upgraded arsenal and a metric--bleep--ton of stockpiled ammo it's not easy. I keep getting split-faced dog munched.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Hemingway on September 15, 2010, 03:16:14 PM

I'm liking the game so far, though. Can't say I'm really surprised by any of it. After three games, you kinda know what to expect. There are some neat new guns. Which I don't really understand, as the game is a prequel, but hey, I guess it's not the first time technology in prequels somehow seems more advanced than in the sequels.

A lot of the 'tech crunch' I thought was on the Covenant side, though I am in LOVE with the laser designator. :D Nothing is more fun that 'point and click' destruction.

Hemingway

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 15, 2010, 04:37:49 PM
A lot of the 'tech crunch' I thought was on the Covenant side, though I am in LOVE with the laser designator. :D Nothing is more fun that 'point and click' destruction.

I love the Designated Marksman Rifle. Needler Rifle is also pretty neat. I think this is the first Halo game where my favorite weapon isn't the Plasma Rifle. At least so far.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Hemingway on September 15, 2010, 04:42:35 PM
I love the Designated Marksman Rifle. Needler Rifle is also pretty neat. I think this is the first Halo game where my favorite weapon isn't the Plasma Rifle. At least so far.

It's a toss up between the Needler Rifle or the Beam gun.. (though there is ONE gun later on you'll LOVE.. but I ain't saying where and what it is)

Oniya

Quote from: Oniya on September 08, 2010, 10:21:29 PM
I might go retro soon.  I found a place to play seriously old-school games that I used to play on my Apple ][.

And now that I figured out how the interface works:  Temple of Apshai.  CGA graphics - Wooo!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Heaven Sent Blossom

My Reach arrived so I finally got to get my freaking jet pack on. Although my first online game was "classic" Slayer, a.k.a "Let's force you into boring vanilla Halo death match where you can't use your precious jet pack!" and I pulled a pretty embarrassing -8 k/d spread. Next game had the nifty load outs enabled and I turned that around into a +5 k/d spread and topped the leader board. Don't mess with a former Tribes player, kids.
Pity that I have to wait until Saturday for my co-op bro dog to return from Portugal in order to begin the campaign but I suppose it gives me plenty of time for Vandal Hearts and Halsey's journal.

Inkidu

Resident Evil 5. I must be better at Mercenaries.

Plus. I have no one to play with, it really makes the came a headache at times.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Been playing some Reach MP. It's .. decent. It's basically a slower-paced MW2. My main complaint so far is the modes/maps on which the pacing seems completely broken. I just played a CTF match where neither side scored even a single point.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on September 17, 2010, 05:42:14 AM
Been playing some Reach MP. It's .. decent. It's basically a slower-paced MW2. My main complaint so far is the modes/maps on which the pacing seems completely broken. I just played a CTF match where neither side scored even a single point.

Isn't that the mark of a good CTF game? Both sides were so good that neither could score. :D

I do hate the fact that the multiplayer maps only cycle between like, 3. O_o..Sword Base, Reflection, and either Asylum or Cage...at least on Team Slayer.

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on September 17, 2010, 10:23:48 AM
Isn't that the mark of a good CTF game? Both sides were so good that neither could score. :D

I do hate the fact that the multiplayer maps only cycle between like, 3. O_o..Sword Base, Reflection, and either Asylum or Cage...at least on Team Slayer.

The map favored the defenders so much that even getting close to the flag was next to impossible.

So far, Invasion is probably the coolest mode. I like having objectives, and playing as Spartans and Elites makes it feel a bit less like just another deathmatch.

Brandon

Well I finished Fallout 3 finally and did absolutely everything I could in the game. All the DLC, all the quests, all the exploring. Everything and it took forever. What can I say? I love the game :D

Now Im gonna change gears to another RPG, this time Im going to replay Dragon Age: origins. The last time I played as a female mage with Lilena as my love interest but this time I think I'll switch gears as a male human noble warrior and go after Morrigan. Im not sure what specilization I want to use but Im thinking Two hander with berserker for my special class
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy

I'm playing Halo: Reach...especially while my foot is sore like it is..(Sprained it, I think)

And, as soon as I can buy a computer to run it, I'll be playing FFXIV, too.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Brandon on September 18, 2010, 12:31:31 AM
Well I finished Fallout 3 finally and did absolutely everything I could in the game. All the DLC, all the quests, all the exploring. Everything and it took forever. What can I say? I love the game :D

Now Im gonna change gears to another RPG, this time Im going to replay Dragon Age: origins. The last time I played as a female mage with Lilena as my love interest but this time I think I'll switch gears as a male human noble warrior and go after Morrigan. Im not sure what specilization I want to use but Im thinking Two hander with berserker for my special class

Unless they fixed the two-hander spec then you might want to consider vanilla sword & board or even dual wield. Last time I played two-hander spec was pretty much a complete waste of points, however with that said you will most likely get enough points to almost max out two weapons specs so you could still take two-hander as a back up for when you feel like being underwhelmed.
Not that any of it really matters, I mean it's not like there is a single moment in Dragon Age that can't be solved with judicious use of Cone of Cold after all.

grayfoxz

Playing fead space now. Got it from a budget bin. Damn that game is freaky. Can't believe I had'nt got it before :o