News:

Main Menu

Tabletop Roleplaying

Started by Kunoichi, December 17, 2009, 01:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

So, after a long and involved discussion about System games and tabletop RPGs in the ShoutBox, we've been strongly urged to make a proper thread here to continue the discussion.

So... continue on with the discussion?

akiraneko

I'm new to tabletop games. I like vampire stories and darker tales, as well as sci-fi things.

Anyone have suggestions on where I should start out?

Kunoichi

Well, Star Wars: Saga Edition is always a nice starting point if you're into science fiction. ^^ Buying a good set of dice should also be helpful.

Unfortunately, I haven't had any experience with any vampire games, so I couldn't give you a fair evaluation of any of those.

akiraneko

What qualifies as a good set of dice?

I've only ever played with a 6 sided die...

Kunoichi

Most dedicated gaming stores have dice sets for sale.  They typically include a d20, d12, two d10s, a d8, d4, and at least one d6. ^^;

Oh, and just for reference, d20 is a twenty-sided die, d12 is a twelve-sided die, and so on.

Ericnox

Most gaming shops can get ya set up with some dice for rather cheap. As odd as it sounds, see if they let ya roll em first. Dice seem to have minds of their own and some roll better in some peoples hands then others.

I used to have some pink glow in the dark dice that rolled hot when I needed em to. No one but me got em to work.

Next up, check for any local groups seeking members, call around, see if they post in the gaming place and what they do. Most DMs will teach a newer player with in a few sessions. I had character making down in a half hour and DMing down in 2 weeks. Its rather simple really.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

HairyHeretic

If you like Vampires and darker stuff, White Wolfs Vampire game is probably a decent place to start. I understand its fairly popular (I don't play it myself) so that makes finding a game easier.

Call of Cthulhu is probably one of the best known horror ones, and has setting books ranging from ancient Rome through Victorian, 1920s/1930s and present day.

The Warhammer 40,000 Dark Heresy line would probably cover both sci fi and horror, though it helps to know something of the universe there.

Star Wars has a fairly easy system to learn, and its a fun one to play.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Ericnox

Pretty much. It doesn't take long to learn the basics of a system, just be willing to adapt and grow. Don't be like some people and simply refuse to expand on anything.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

HairyHeretic

That being said, as long as the GM knows the system a new player doesn't need to. Certainly it helps, but it's not essential.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

auroraChloe

i've never played any 'official' rpg either.  feel like i'm missing out.   

i was graciously invited to observe one, though it was done via IRC.  still, dice rolling and all that, so i assume it is based on table top. 

a/a 8/21/17

HairyHeretic

The main difference between an RPG and a story type game on here is that with the story, you have control over everything that happens. As the writer you can decide this works and that doesn't. When you play a game, the dice make that decision for you, and you go from there. Of course, if the dice decide you're going to fail, then you have the story possibly moving in an entirely new direction.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

auroraChloe

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 17, 2009, 01:51:13 PM
The main difference between an RPG and a story type game on here is that with the story, you have control over everything that happens. As the writer you can decide this works and that doesn't. When you play a game, the dice make that decision for you, and you go from there. Of course, if the dice decide you're going to fail, then you have the story possibly moving in an entirely new direction.

yes, i understood that much out of my observation and Q&A.  the girls just came up with the 'story' to flesh out the roll of their dice.
it was interesting, and time consuming (but i believe some of that was because of the venue, all online in different places, etc)

a/a 8/21/17

Revolverman

GURPS is good if you like flexibility in your stories, AND if you want simple dice (It only uses the normal D6 dice.)

HairyHeretic

Well, I know there are a number of system games that run on here. If you wanted to lurk and keep an eye on some of those, you'd probably pick up how things worked in fairly short order.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kunoichi

True. ^^ They've usually got pretty entertaining stories to read, as well.

HairyHeretic

That too. Talk to any system gamer and I will guarantee they will have a pile of favourite in game stories. Possibly more than you want to listen to  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kunoichi

Speaking of which, we could probably share some pretty entertaining ones right here...

HairyHeretic

I think there might be a topic for gaming stories hiding deep in the depths of the board somewhere.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kunoichi

*searches for 'stories'*

Well, I didn't find any specific threads dedicated to it, but people do seem to tell various stories about gaming experiences in just about any gaming topic... ^^;

HairyHeretic

That might have been it. Gamers tend to tell stories if you give them the opportunity :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kunoichi

Yeah, like the time I ran a session and sent the party on a troll-hunt beneath a city. ^^

HairyHeretic

Never sent anyone on a troll hunt, but I did have one game that involved the party following a glowing sheep through the sewers  ;D

1st ed Warhammer, starting characters, so pretty weedy. To earn some cash they were hired by a freakshow owner to track down an escaped 3 legged goblin. It had vanished into the sewers under whatever Empire city they were in. Of course, there were rumours of some horrible monster in the sewers as well, so they hit on the idea of getting a sheep on a rope, and casting a light spell on it.

This would reduce the need for a lantern, and if there was something horrible, hopefully it would attack the sheep first, giving the players time to evaluate it and either attack it or run like hell.

I don't think they found the monster, but they did find the remains of the goblin. Apparently it found the monster, judging by the teeth marks. At that point they decided running away was the better part of valor :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kunoichi

Ah, sounds entertaining. ;D

My party was playing in a Kobold campaign, so they took advantage of the fact that trolls are stupid to set up a variety of clever traps.  The druid made particularly good use of a Warp Wood spell at a few points to alter the terrain to their advantage.

Basically, they were in this town that was built on a giant bridge across a river, and the trolls had moved into the docks beneath the town and pulled a bunch of boats out of the water to make the place feel a bit more like home.  They did some pretty clever things, like taking nets and working in bits of metal and scraps of armor from the last few adventurers to go after the trolls.  Add a bit of raw meat for bait, then cast Heat Metal when the troll was caught in the net and voila, instant oven. ^^

HairyHeretic

Believe me, I've had much more entertaining players in my games. One of the fondest was a guy whose famous last words were "I headbutt the dragon AGAIN!"  ;)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kunoichi

xD Sounds hilarious.  I haven't actually had much experience GMing at all, so most of the stories I'd have to relate would be from my experiences as a player.