What are you Reading Right Now?

Started by Unnatural Selection, November 22, 2007, 07:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kivonay

Right now I'm in the midst of reading:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, by Robert Pirsig.  I've found it to be excellent so far, and as good as I'd heard it was.

Chomsky on Anarchism, by Noam Chomsky, of course.  I've been fascinated with his ideas, as well as with anarchism, so putting them together is pretty much having cake and eating it.

Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism, by Robert Pape.  I just checked this one out as I ran across it because the topic fascinated me and I haven't read anything much on the subject, so I can't endorse it either way.

I'm always looking for new things to read.  ^^  I'm terrible about having too many things on the "want to read" list, but just keep adding to it...

NightBird

Domination and the Arts of Resistance: Hidden Transcripts by James C Scott
    Intriguing work suggesting that resistance to domination and exploitation may have more subtle and complex expression than some cultural theorists have considered

Tuskegee's Truths: Rethinking the Tuskegee Syphilis Study edited by Susan M Reverby
    For a class, but also a powerful book about the intersection of racial inequality and medical experimentation in America

An Accidental Goddess by Linnea Sinclair
    My current fun reading - wonderful sf adventure with romantic elements by an author who deserves more recognition

HairyHeretic

Just finished Vampireslayer, another of the Warhammer novels, featuring the most (or possibly least) successfull Dwarven Slayer of them all.

Just started Kushiels Scion, and managed about 200 pages today. I read fast :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

ruckus

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. Good book, ran about 288 pages. It was a good three day read.

Description: A modern world with fae, werewolves, vampires, and other fantasy creatures. In this the general public know fae exist. Plot line revolves around a girl who can shapeshift and is in with werewolves. Definitely a good read, everything wrapped up with room for more.
let's make a ruckus.
sub & bi.
Ons & Offs

rainshadow

Quote from: Ignaddio on November 23, 2007, 05:46:01 AMAfter that I'll probably pick up Ender's Game, or start the Wheel of Time series. Hopefully by the time I'm done someone will be able to pick up where he left off. I was completely surprized to hear that Robert Jordan died. >.>
Mr. Jordan had been sick for a very long time, so it was no surprise to his hard-core fanbase that he died. He was really fighting hard to get that last book written because he so wanted to be able to finish before he died... but at least he wrote very detailed notes and the series will be finished (I think by his wife).

I'm between books at the moment. I'm considering Stephen Lawhead's Robin Hood trilogy or a Clancy novel.
"The ticket to the future is always open. What happens in the future is our own responsibility." - Rem, Trigun

"Nothing says 'I hate war' like a good explosion in a populated area." -rainshadow

Jester

His wife isnt finishing but she is editing it.

I think there is another post here somewhere with more details.

rainshadow

It really doesn't matter. I'll never read it anyway. I tried to read the first book of the series a couple times, but could never get past the first couple hundred pages.

Anyone wanting a good fantasy read (complete with dominatrix-types in red leather), I suggest Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth.
"The ticket to the future is always open. What happens in the future is our own responsibility." - Rem, Trigun

"Nothing says 'I hate war' like a good explosion in a populated area." -rainshadow

HairyHeretic

Tried that, but wasn't all that impressed. Not enough to buy the second book.

Picked up the latest Horus Heresy one today, Legion. Now torn between starting that and finishing Kushiels Scion.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

rainshadow

That's too bad. But we all have different tastes, I suppose. :)

I've decided to read Lawhead's Hood, the first book of his King Raven trilogy (based on Robin Hood).

HairyHeretic

Oh course. I think your feelings towards the Wheel of Time pretty much mirror mine towards Sword of Truth and its follow ups. Actually, the first time I read Eye of the World, I felt it was ok, but not the book I'd heard everyone raving about. For me, the series really didn't hit its stride til I encountered the Aiel in book 3.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jester

How were the Lawhead books?

Anyone picked up the old Dragonlance books since they were a kid? Would it be the same if i read them now or would it be a let down?

HairyHeretic

I only ever really liked the first half dozen .. the War of the Lance, and the Twins trilogy. I can't think how long its been since I last read them though. They'll probably have changed for me somewhat, but I still enjoy the sheer insanity a well placed Kender can bring to a game  ... I almost broke one GM with my kender  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Elandra

Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose

and

Christine Falls by Benjamin Black
~~~ ONs & OFFs ~~~ Requests ~~~

Greenthorn

Duma Key by Stephen King  (slowly but surely)

Captain Maltese

"The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

SerpentKiss

Title Book one of the Belgariad : Dawn of Prophecy

Author David Eddings.

I was actually shocked and surprised by how many people on the board have read his works, based on the comments in this thread at least. Almost as shocked as the fact that, until about a month ago, I'd never heard of him. I was reading a book by my favourite fantasy author, David Gemmel (RIP), when my house-mate's mother noticed and asked if I liked Eddings too. I confirmed I'd never heard of him before, so she went home that evening and found me the first book.

I have to say though, even with how good a writer he is, he doesn't capture my imagination as much as Gemmel's works do.

Kalen

The Ruins - Steve Smith.

According to Stevie King, this is the best horror book of the century.  I.. love the concept.  I was just hoping for someone who brought as much spark and life to the dialogue as King himself.  I think I would have enjoyed the book more without King getting my hopes set so high  ::)

HairyHeretic

Rereading the collected Tamuli trilogy - Eddings
Just finished Thud - Terry Pratchett
Sitting by my bed is a book of Norse Myths ... last story I read was how Freyja got her necklace BrĂ­singamen.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

SerpentKiss

Currently sitting by my desk is Simon Scarrow's The Eagle and the Wolves. The fourth book of the Eagle series, telling the story of Cato and Macro as they rise in the ranks of the Legion during Roman-occupied Britanny.

Kalen

Firelord, by Parke Godwin.  I looooove this book, and just discovered it again!

Jester

Well thats three of us reading Eddings. And two of the three are brits!

strangely made

Monster Island by David Wellington plus World War Z by Max Brooks interspersed with Day By Day Armageddon (First Edition) by J L Bourne.

HairyHeretic

What do you think of World War Z? I found it a pretty good read, and am curious to see how the film version develops.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

strangely made

World War Z is one of the more intellectual zombie novels. Well written, well imagined and well researched. The fact that he decries his first book "The Zombie Survival Guide" in several places as well as emphasises how well some of the points in it work helps to add the humour. There are a lot of in jokes for Fans of Mr Brooks to find.

The way he describes how the world reacts to the dead coming back is particularly well played out, the denial stage is (I imagine) just how people would react.

Unfortunately if you are expecting the film to be a rigid rendition of the book you'll be disappointed. It is going to be based on the book, but the man character is a journalist and he will be interviewing different survivors. The film will also be interspersed with lots of flash back in order for the story to make sense.

Oh and any day now I'll be reading the next instalment in the Autumn series by David Moody before it goes to the publisher. Proof reading for one of your favourite Authors has it's advantages :)

(The film of Autumn is currently in post production, with David Carradine and  Dexter Fletcher (Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels) in staring roles.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: strangely made on April 11, 2008, 04:38:44 PM
World War Z is one of the more intellectual zombie novels. Well written, well imagined and well researched. The fact that he decries his first book "The Zombie Survival Guide" in several places as well as emphasises how well some of the points in it work helps to add the humour. There are a lot of in jokes for Fans of Mr Brooks to find.

The way he describes how the world reacts to the dead coming back is particularly well played out, the denial stage is (I imagine) just how people would react.

Unfortunately if you are expecting the film to be a rigid rendition of the book you'll be disappointed. It is going to be based on the book, but the man character is a journalist and he will be interviewing different survivors. The film will also be interspersed with lots of flash back in order for the story to make sense.

Thats about how I figured they'd be working it. I'm not a huge fan of horror, but I really enjoyed this one. I think the Battle of Yonkers should be fairly impressive on the screen.

Cattle die, kinsmen die