Maltian Colonies - A Pathfinder frontier/colony game

Started by LisztesFerenc, August 28, 2018, 06:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LisztesFerenc

I'm looking for some players for a game of mine that stuttered. You will join the last player from my first attempt at this, taking on some undead that have infested a small fishing village. From there, we will see where the story takes us. Orodeis will likely be the cantre of the plot, but your characters don't need to be from the city. In fact it works best if your character isn't from the city, but one of the surrounding smaller communities, or lives in the city but has spent the last month or so away.

Setting info
  Many years ago, a ship arrived on unfamiliar shores, and found a land of abundance. They restocked their supplies and returned home, but three years later a similar crew returned, now at the head of a fleet, with supplies and people eager to settle this land. This effort was sponsored by the Kangall elves and the Kingdom of Renar, whose people made up the majority of the colonists. Three new cities were established along what was named the area was named the Nanglik Coast.

Colonial settlments:
  Orodeis: Located just above the sandy beach of a bay, Oredeis is a northern most settlement of the “founding three”. Home to about 5,000 individuals, the majority of them elves or humans, the city sprawls in an awkward shape, contained by the sea to the south, the mudlats to the north west and rougher, wooded hills to the east. The city centre is surrounded by a double palisade, from earlier days of uncertainty, starting to rot now, though stumps are occasionally replaced, out of a sense of preserving history and good craftsmanship, rather than any real need.

Coasciath – One of the other settlements of the founding three, Coasciath is located on a cliff face, three days travel south of Orodeis. Among the settlers were a group of dark elves, who proved their loyalty when the goblins first appeared, defending the city's farmers from the green bastard who fought themselves protected under cover of night. Coasciath is famed for its good fish market, smitheries and yearly sailing races through the rock studded waters at the base of the cliff, for which the grant prize is 1,000 silver pieces.

Luxani – 70 years ago there was some excitement when a city was discovered in a mountain valley near to a pass on the border of the dwarven lands, but it appeared long abandoned. The architecture featured many square, stone houses, and statues carved from a soft stone not found on the mountain. Some of the dwarves were even using a few of the buildings themselves. Several of the colonists have moved up their over the years, seeking to settle it with the dwarves, aiming to improve relationships with the mountain people, as iron shortages is becoming a problem, the colonies largely reliant on trading with the mountain people to supply their needs. So far the efforts appear to

Dien Fiak - Located on a lake shore a day's travel north of Orodeis, this settlements was founded when silver deposits were discovered in the water, and when those ran out 10 years ago they turned to farming and mining, though these efforts have not entirely prevented the loss of people, heading off in search of new opportunities. Despite this it remains a large settlement by the land's standard. Even before the mining began, the lake offered poor fishing, it seems the silver had poisoned the water, and that problem has only gotten worse since. Fortunately an untainted stream feeds the lake, which in turn heads down to the see. Some have theorized that there may be silver off the coast because of this, but so far there has been limited in tapping this resource.

Natives: One of the most attractive aspects of the Nanglik Coast was the lack of other species to compete with. The first few months saw many a nervous night, as the colonists anticipated an annoyed army showing up, asking why they where occupying their land, but as the months and then years slipped by, it seemed this land was truly unclaimed. Wandering tribes of dark skinned elves stayed to the north, beyond the settlments. Dwarves where discovered in the mountains, but as long as their territories was respected they weren't interested in what the colonies got up to, and even traded. The goblin tribes proved a little more troublesome, cattle raids and even a few deaths from their night-time ambushes, but nothing too severe, and bloodying their noses every year or so ensured they never got too bold and mostly stayed in their valleys.

Character creation

Starting level: 3
Stats: Point buy 20
All PF sources are approved, asking me about 3rd party and homebrew and I'll consider it. Choose two traits and one drawback for your character, if no drawbacks fit talk to me about homebrewing one for them. For HP, maximum at first level, then then one below maximum for subsequent levels. Background skills are being used (2 extra skill points, but can only be spent on a limited number of options - http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/background-skills/ )

Minor house rules: Instead of gold, silver copper, I use silver, bronze, copper, just an aethetics thing to make gold more significant. This doesn't actually effect the amount of money you have. Use standard wealth for 3rd level characters. For languages, Common is replaced by Trade, spoken by travellers and merchants. Useful language, but you take a -4 penalty to using diplomacy or conveying scholarly information with it, as it is a little limited for topics concerning trade. Human's native language in the setting is Maltian.

If you have any questions, PM me or post them here.

Naughty Miss Adventure

I might consider putting together an
inspired blade swashbuckler
for this, possibly a vagrant who arrived on the continent and spends time drifting between settlements?

How are the ability scores determined?
Ons & Offs (last updated: 15.08.21)
Absences & Apologies (back after a near year-long absence!)
Current Status: Not Accepting New Games; Muse: Erratic

Visit Eridor, where the Black Gate has been opened! (Long-term D&D 5e project)
Visit Carla at The Breeding House of Vinicus

LisztesFerenc

Right yeah, that important information. Point buy 20, added to the OP. A vagrant sword mistress certainly works though, I like the picture.

Conundrum

So would this be like an exploring type of game or what is the intended game style?
If I have not responded to a post in 4 days, send me a PM as I may have missed it.

LisztesFerenc

A bit of exploration yes, and also perhaps figuring out the cause behind the undead, perhaps some other mysteries.

Soveliss

Maybe I could play a futanari ninja who was basically abandoned by her parents for being a futa, became a pickpocket after being raised  by a gang until she tried to steal from a Monk, who decided to train her and instill in her some discipline and she adopted some Ki tricks with a more roguish style to become Shadow Blade, a vigilante intent on exposing the secrets of corrupt political figures and militia officers, but who had to run away when she had basically made too many enemies. Would that be okay?
Winning against depression is possible, I know it, I've done it! I had help, sure, and couldn't have done it without help, but I still won!

"Work together as a team
Download douchey hats on Steam"
                                                        Brentalfloss

Starting an IC on E forums OOC on Discord experiment. If you're okay with discussing plot details and exchanging status updates on Discord while keeping RPs on Elliquiy's forums, you can ask me for my Discord ID.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Soveliss on August 30, 2018, 07:52:23 PM
Maybe I could play a futanari ninja who was basically abandoned by her parents for being a futa, became a pickpocket after being raised  by a gang until she tried to steal from a Monk, who decided to train her and instill in her some discipline and she adopted some Ki tricks with a more roguish style to become Shadow Blade, a vigilante intent on exposing the secrets of corrupt political figures and militia officers, but who had to run away when she had basically made too many enemies. Would that be okay?

Yeah that works as a character concept. Its been established there is a Japanese-y kingdom on the mainland across the sea, and this explains how your character ended up in the colonies.