Essential Android Phone Apps?

Started by Tharic, January 22, 2013, 02:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caeli

Oh! I forgot to mention, but I'm also trying out an Instant Messaging Application called "imo.im" -> https://imo.im/

It has all of the popular applications. I normally wouldn't need one (I only use GTalk for the most part), but since I've become active on Elliquiy and I use the trinity of AIM/Yahoo/MSN in addition to GTalk, I needed another application.

So far, it's very easy to use and very clean and simple! I like it.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Tharic

Quote from: Caeli on January 23, 2013, 04:13:51 PM
Oh! I forgot to mention, but I'm also trying out an Instant Messaging Application called "imo.im" -> https://imo.im/

It has all of the popular applications. I normally wouldn't need one (I only use GTalk for the most part), but since I've become active on Elliquiy and I use the trinity of AIM/Yahoo/MSN in addition to GTalk, I needed another application.

So far, it's very easy to use and very clean and simple! I like it.

I can't believe I didn't think of that. We use GTalk here at work as our corporate level instant messenger and half the office has the imo.im updates in their GTalk status, so it's clearly a good program. I'll take a look at that one too!

Silver

Hmm never thought of that Caeli...

I do have Go Sms Pro rather than the standard text messaging crap...

But I will check that one out..
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Callie Del Noire

Wifi Analyzer is a very helpful tool for troubleshooting. LOTS of options in how to configure it.

Caeli

Actually, another question for tablet owners - any good forum readers that Elliquiy works on? I found Tapatalk in the Play Store, but don't want to pay for it if I won't be able to view E on it.

Chrome does display Elliquiy, but it's posting and reading posts that can get a little difficult.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Trieste

I use ColorNote for note-taking; not sure if you mean more extensive, like, in-class note-taking or just jotting down things to remember, but since the virtual keyboard on my Thunderbolt would be extremely annoying to take notes on (not to mention autocorrect)... I use ColorNote to take down things like grocery lists and write down birthdays and such.

I use Trillian mobile for my IMs.

I have been trying out an app called "Schedule Planner" for my calendar. I'm not sure yet how I feel about it. It's all right, I guess - I would like a calendar that I don't have to spend hours every Sunday programming, but I have yet to come across one that reads my mind. ::)

I use spreadsheets off the Google Drive app. Love that one.

'Scuse me, gents, but - ;) I use PTracker instead of MyDays - I really like it because it has a list of symptoms you can load into the calendar, too. Helps me to look over stuff like "Oh, it looks like I always get a headache three days before the start of my visit from Aunt Flo. Guess I can plan for that next month."

Another vote for Pandora. I couldn't get by with only five stations, though... I have my rock station, my blues station, my jazz station, my techno station, plus a bazillion stations seeded off of artists I like. I do have French music on there, but I doubt they're indie artists or anything. >.>;

I love trying new apps and reading about what works for people. I'm so glad this thread got started!

Caeli

Quote from: Trieste on January 25, 2013, 05:33:30 PMI use ColorNote for note-taking; not sure if you mean more extensive, like, in-class note-taking or just jotting down things to remember, but since the virtual keyboard on my Thunderbolt would be extremely annoying to take notes on (not to mention autocorrect)... I use ColorNote to take down things like grocery lists and write down birthdays and such.

I think I used to use ColorNote, and then got rid of it when an update removed the widget option. :/ I was really disappointed about that, because otherwise ColorNote was great! I liked the security option of securing a specific note with a passcode.

By the way, since you mentioned Google Drive - have you tried using Google Calendar for scheduling? I used to be really bad about updating it for events and plans, but these days I find that it's really great, especially since I can make calendars from my other Google accounts visible, and create 'categories' of events.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Tharic

Quote from: Caeli on February 01, 2013, 02:39:33 PM
By the way, since you mentioned Google Drive - have you tried using Google Calendar for scheduling? I used to be really bad about updating it for events and plans, but these days I find that it's really great, especially since I can make calendars from my other Google accounts visible, and create 'categories' of events.

I use Google Calendar for a TON of scheduling.. We've got four separate calendar in the house, myself, the wife, and one for each of the kids. Plus my work calendar (we also use Google for our corporate email) shows up on my google calendar as well. I can't tell you how convenient it is to have every single event in a busy families household all show up on my phone. It saves me sometimes! Just make sure that your calendar sync is set to use Google, and not the phone calendar.. Ugh that was a pain to fix!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Tharic on February 01, 2013, 04:49:57 PM
I use Google Calendar for a TON of scheduling.. We've got four separate calendar in the house, myself, the wife, and one for each of the kids. Plus my work calendar (we also use Google for our corporate email) shows up on my google calendar as well. I can't tell you how convenient it is to have every single event in a busy families household all show up on my phone. It saves me sometimes! Just make sure that your calendar sync is set to use Google, and not the phone calendar.. Ugh that was a pain to fix!

I like the Google apps over some of the ones that are native to any platform I use.

Trieste

Quote from: Caeli on February 01, 2013, 02:39:33 PM
I think I used to use ColorNote, and then got rid of it when an update removed the widget option. :/ I was really disappointed about that, because otherwise ColorNote was great! I liked the security option of securing a specific note with a passcode.

I haven't tried using Google Calendar. I admit that I'm a little bit of a neanderthal with calendar apps. I don't understand how something can synch up to things that I may or may not put in there ... Might give it a whirl when I have some time to play with it. Most of my scheduling is in my planner, which is dead tree version and not digital.

Ephiral

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Sense Analog Glass clock (I recommend the 4x2 version). I stumbled across it and fell in love right away. Mine's currently got time, date, weather, RAM status, internal storage, system temperature, SD storage, and exact battery percentage. A tap on hours launches my Maps, and on minutes launches Calendar. (These are customizable.) Pretty damn solid for a single zero-cost widget.

Caeli

Quote from: Ephiral on February 26, 2013, 02:41:00 PM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Sense Analog Glass clock (I recommend the 4x2 version). I stumbled across it and fell in love right away. Mine's currently got time, date, weather, RAM status, internal storage, system temperature, SD storage, and exact battery percentage. A tap on hours launches my Maps, and on minutes launches Calendar. (These are customizable.) Pretty damn solid for a single zero-cost widget.

That sounds pretty brilliant. I use a different app (Beautiful Widgets) for a clock/weather/date/calendar-linkage, also with customizable shortcuts. I don't find system temperature, internal storage, or SD storage that useful, and I prefer using Battery for the battery percentage - it's in my notifications bar always, which is where I prefer to see it since it's always visible at a glance.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

SilverSun

'ello! :)

Just a quick stop in with apps I'm using that I love :) I did my best to scan the extensive list that's forming from previous replies, but may not have seen all so bear with me on the repeats if there are any :)

HTC Inspire is the droid of which I speak :)

Taking audio notes: Dictatroid is awesome :)

Keeping track of walks/exercise: Runkeeper - I like it :) Uses GPS to track your walking speed and integrates with their website to track progress and such. Has favorite walks integrated with Maps and stored for later use (good when you're on a new route with friends and have no idea where you're going) It has coaching options (never tried it) and intermittent voice letting you know how far you've gone and how fast you've gone it that you can set by time or mileage. :)

Weight management: Pts Plus Diary - free version of weight watcher's point tracker. Love the barcode scanner it comes with :)

Scanning stuff: Camscanner :) Take a picture then fax it - gets the job done!

Making sure apps behave: Watchdog lite - simple enough, works well and you can decide what you want it to do when something's taking up too many resources.

Tuning your guitar - or ukelele as the case may be :) DaTuner Lite - really cool, works beautifully.

Fav games: I like non spammy solitary games that I can pick up and put down at a moment's notice. Usually I'm looking to unwind, or I'm stuck at the dr. or on an airplane when playing games on my phone, so all of these are non-timing based. Relatively easy puzzles at your leisure with atmospheric music or plain cuteness are favs :D

Cut the Rope
Quell
Quell Reflect
Osmos HD
Spirits
Teeter
Bejweled 2
Where's My Water

Google Tablet (which I love)

Background: PaperlandPRO - love it! Best wallpaper evar.

I Honor The Oath of the Drake
Availability: Kinda Sorta Here! :)
Posting Habits: Weekdays
Desires |Appetites