Gauging Interest - Star Wars Saga?

Started by Inerrant Lust, July 25, 2011, 02:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inerrant Lust

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on July 25, 2011, 07:55:31 PM
I'm currently mulling over a Togruta, because angry, semi-feral padawan girl is kind of a proven way to get into trouble.

Togruta, eh? Sounds good. ;-)

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on July 26, 2011, 02:57:19 AM
You getting bored of us Lust? ;-) oh and incidentally have fun with this but if I was going to play... Id embrace the dark side.

Oh no, of course not! :P

But you ruined the surprise! The reason I wanted to keep Destinies hidden from one another was to provoke some interesting character interactions.

I mean, Corruption could easily be confused for Destruction or Rescue... Heck, you can take Redemption and commit some very very bad acts along the way. Afterall, Darth Vader's destiny was, in the end, to be redeemed.

Quote from: DKDBSD on July 26, 2011, 07:55:40 AM
Shame this is a system game. :/

Daw. Sorry! :S

Quote from: Teke on July 26, 2011, 10:08:11 AM
Agreed, I think I'm going to drop my interest unless for whatever reason it turns into a freeform.  PLEASE message me if that happens.

Oof. Will do!

Quote from: Xanatos on July 26, 2011, 01:01:31 PM
I could be interested in this, but I'll make it clear as tentative interest for now. I'll see how things form up for now.

As a note, unless the Jedi Knight prestige class has been changed on an official level, it does not have access to ANY armor proficiency talents. No force user does, actually (if the change is official and on one of those websites, then disregard my statement). They all get defense bonuses as part of their class feature. The Jedi of the Saga book (original) are assumed to be Jedi of the last 1000 years to pre Order 66. That means they shunned the use of armor and none Lightsaber weaponry. The galactic public began to see the Jedi are having to much control and possibly becoming a threat because they had ruled as Chancellors for so long and fought almost just like regular soldiers. That got the Jedi Order to change into a more peaceful acting and looking organization that was less involved in military actions.

Basically, the only way a Jedi will get access to any armor/weapon talents as part of the class is through the GM making custom changes. I would assume they can grab feats outside of the class, but that just wastes feats that could be geared more towards lightsaber combat or force powers (which is what the class is all about in the first place).

Jedi Knights don't get armor profs, but they do get talents associated with them. Not all Jedi eschewed armor, especially in this time period. Exar Kun wore some, so did his buddy Ulic. And Obi-Wan wore some badass clone armor.

For this setting, the Republic has been practically BEGGING for the Jedi's help. They do not see them as a threat at all, but the republic's salvation. The Revanchists also have very clearly turned their back on the masters and Jedi dogma. They are experimenting and breaking the mold while away from the Jedi temples.

As for how practical it would be... Well, it depends. The Mandies will hit hard, for sure. And upgrades and mods can provide some helpful little bonuses. :P

On that track, the Mandalorians will be tough. They have been preparing for decades to fight the Jedi. The Republic has a boatload of individual soldiers and equipment (plus the demigod-like Jedi) but Mandalorians train from birth to fight and the army as a whole has been waging war for a decade straight. So it's pretty much like Jedi vs. Seal Team 6. :P

As the KOTOR book even says, 'Sometimes not even the Jedi are a match for the Mandalorians.'...

Gameplay wise, it should hopefully be a little tough. If not dangerous to each individual PC, dangerous to their interests. (Preventing a massacre or losing all of your subordinates in a poorly-conceived attack, for instance...)

Story wise, this is to provoke a feeling of vulnerability and desperation in the PCs. ^_^

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on July 26, 2011, 03:44:38 PM
Jedi Knight seems a bit out-of-range for a game based around a group of Padawan. Just saying. ;D

For the moment, you'll be able to PrC. ;-)

Quote from: Kunoichi on July 26, 2011, 04:09:13 PM
You know, for some reason, my first instinct is always to try playing a droid whenever a Saga Edition game comes up. ^^; Obviously, that won't fit in here, though, so...

Doh. :P

Quote from: kckolbe on July 26, 2011, 06:04:28 PM
Always a fan of adult system games if there is room.  I would be interested in playing as padawan or other.  I have two ideas for a padawan, the first being a consular-type with limited physical abilities and the second being a weak-in-the-force type who makes up for that weakness with other strengths.

I like both. :P Go for it.

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on July 26, 2011, 06:47:55 PM
I notice that only ONE of the PCs will be the padawan of the GMNPC. This implicitly suggests that the other padawans have abandoned their masters. Kind of a big deal!

Would it be possible to use abandonment as an excuse for a level in a multi-class? I was considering having my sulky Revanchist padawan go stalking off to DO SOMETHING when the Jedi Council adopted a policy of non-involvement, and thus pick up a rank in Scoundrel before joining up with the GMNPC.

Yes, it is a big deal. :D The GM NPC has unofficially taken on the role of unofficial mentor to the other padawans.

And it is a good excuse. ;-)

Quote from: Funguy81 on July 26, 2011, 06:52:12 PM
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=316112

Here is my character. Name Rico Aldun. Human Jedi that had taken training in the Republic army as a test to see how Jedi would appreciate the military perspective.  He's also a natural pilot. He's capable of using both a lightsaber and pistol in tandem.

I don't what the credits your giving us at this moment, but I threw in everything that I would believe that would be given to a soldier being sent out to war that I see in my book. I'm sure there is always more equipment. I remember taking 3 bags of gear with me to Iraq..and I was not a front-line soldier.

Hehe. Credits are somewhat irrelevant, unless you seek to acquire things outside official republic channels or from mandalorian gear.

As for the sheet itself... I'll wait a bit to take a closer look at it. As Hyena alluded, I still have other games to take care of. ;-)

Edit: Also, as a fellow soldier, you might appreciate how the Republic fights like conscripts and the Mandalorians will be very... tactical. :P Glad to see my occasional foray into intimate descriptions of military badass-itude won't go unappreciated.  ;D

TheGlyphstone

Did you miss my questions?

QuoteWhat races are appropriate to pick from? The Saga KOTOR book is apparently pre-Mandalorian Wars, and the Old Republic MMO appears to be post-MW.

And classes, for that matter - your brief says all players are padawans (which would imply all of us are of the Jedi class), but then you mentioned a dip into the Soldier class; unless Padawans aren't trained from a very young age in TOR era, when would we have time to take a dip in Soldier before/after/during padawan training?

Inerrant Lust

Oof! I'm sorry. :P

Races; Most any... except for the obvious improbabilities like undiscovered species. :P

Classes; Plenty of characters have been made Jedi later in life, particularly at this time period. Nomi Sunrider, for instance. So your character could have had a past before joining the order... or took a class level or two during/after their training.

TheGlyphstone

What about someone who's all but left the Order? I was thinking of a Jedi/Soldier, level split undecided, who had been out on a simple mission with their Master when they were attacked by pirates paid off by the Mandalorians, and their Master was killed. Still relatively new to the Jedi traditions, they decided to abandon their Jedi training rather than return to the Temple, going into service as a gun-for-hire with the Force to augment their capabilities. Arranging pregame plot for why they're fighting alongside unbroken Jedi shouldn't be too hard.

Inerrant Lust

That could work. Why pirates, though? :P The Mandalorians had been invading the Outer Rim for almost a decade prior to the game, and Jedi had even died defending Taris and Onderon, but the Council didn't join. (Speaking of which, thank you, wookiepedia. :D)

TheGlyphstone

Eh, it could be Mandalorians as well, pirates were just what came to mind.

Funguy81

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on July 26, 2011, 08:12:37 PM

Hehe. Credits are somewhat irrelevant, unless you seek to acquire things outside official republic channels or from mandalorian gear.

As for the sheet itself... I'll wait a bit to take a closer look at it. As Hyena alluded, I still have other games to take care of. ;-)

Edit: Also, as a fellow soldier, you might appreciate how the Republic fights like conscripts and the Mandalorians will be very... tactical. :P Glad to see my occasional foray into intimate descriptions of military badass-itude won't go unappreciated.  ;D

Thats no problem. I got time. 

kckolbe

What are your thoughts on a Matukai-based character taking on the role of padawan after his instructor died?  At this point, I believe the order was fairly new.  This would be another reason why a padawan would not have another master, as he was not in Jedi training for most of his life.  As for rolls, here ya go.

30255 kckolbe  2011-07-26 18:45:00 At 2011-07-26 18:45:00, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 3d6 Result: 13
30253 kckolbe  2011-07-26 18:44:50 At 2011-07-26 18:44:50, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 3d6 Result: 15
30252 kckolbe  2011-07-26 18:44:44 At 2011-07-26 18:44:44, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 3d6 Result: 15
30250 kckolbe  2011-07-26 18:44:28 At 2011-07-26 18:44:28, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 3d6 Result: 11
30249 kckolbe  2011-07-26 18:44:14 At 2011-07-26 18:44:14, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 3d6 Result: 17
30247 kckolbe  2011-07-26 18:40:37 At 2011-07-26 18:40:37, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 3d6 Result: 16

Oh, and I would be willing to have him use a wan-shen (the traditional Matukai weapon) or lightsaber, depending on the preference of his new instructor.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Xanatos

Quote from: LustJedi Knights don't get armor profs, but they do get talents associated with them. Not all Jedi eschewed armor, especially in this time period. Exar Kun wore some, so did his buddy Ulic. And Obi-Wan wore some badass clone armor.

For this setting, the Republic has been practically BEGGING for the Jedi's help. They do not see them as a threat at all, but the republic's salvation. The Revanchists also have very clearly turned their back on the masters and Jedi dogma. They are experimenting and breaking the mold while away from the Jedi temples.

As for how practical it would be... Well, it depends. The Mandies will hit hard, for sure. And upgrades and mods can provide some helpful little bonuses. :P

On that track, the Mandalorians will be tough. They have been preparing for decades to fight the Jedi. The Republic has a boatload of individual soldiers and equipment (plus the demigod-like Jedi) but Mandalorians train from birth to fight and the army as a whole has been waging war for a decade straight. So it's pretty much like Jedi vs. Seal Team 6. :P

As the KOTOR book even says, 'Sometimes not even the Jedi are a match for the Mandalorians.'...

Gameplay wise, it should hopefully be a little tough. If not dangerous to each individual PC, dangerous to their interests. (Preventing a massacre or losing all of your subordinates in a poorly-conceived attack, for instance...)

Story wise, this is to provoke a feeling of vulnerability and desperation in the PCs. ^_^

Oh I know what your saying. I was referring to the "modern" Jedi since the last reformation of the Republic (1000 years ago from the time of Episode I), and the supposed 1000 year peace Palpatine referred too. They shunned armor and blaster tech. KOTOR Jedi did not, that much is for sure.

As for the talents related too it, could you provide some links or information to point me in that direction? As far as I am aware, they do not have any such talents. I admittedly don't have every single book, but from what I know, nothing exists. If I am wrong, I am more than interested to find out.

Inerrant Lust

Xanatos: Hehe. It's sneaky. Very bottom of Pg. 217 on the core book.

kckolbe: As hesitant as I am to restrict anyone's options... I think there's a special opportunity to be had with a story about a character who is strongly attached to the Jedi way for most of his or her life, and then gives it up for 'The Greater Good' :P

Xanatos

Wow, it is. I've never seen that before. Very interesting.

kckolbe

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on July 26, 2011, 10:38:54 PM
kckolbe: As hesitant as I am to restrict anyone's options... I think there's a special opportunity to be had with a story about a character who is strongly attached to the Jedi way for most of his or her life, and then gives it up for 'The Greater Good' :P

So you wish for us to have all been Jedi from the beginning?
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: kckolbe on July 27, 2011, 09:20:54 AM
So you wish for us to have all been Jedi from the beginning?

Indeed. Some clarification on how strong our Jedi connection is/what backstory elements are necessary would be very useful - I don't want to commit to a character+history that turns out to be incompatible.

kckolbe

Yeah, I think a couple of others were planning on having limited time among the Jedi as well.  Admittedly, though, the Matukai concept did involve a certain identification with his Matukai roots in tough times, and a feeling of elitism to explain his rather high willpower.  The only time I could see him gathering dark side points would be, ironically, when resisting the dark side, as he would resist due to pride and superiority rather than for the right reason.  His soul would be just corrupted enough to stay pure.  Wow, if it weren't for my almost complete lack of respect for poetry, I could have gotten so much ass writing things like that.

Unrelated question, but what's your military experience?  I have been Air Force intel for almost ten years.

Intro Thread

rancorius

sounds interesting are you still looking for players?

Inerrant Lust

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 27, 2011, 11:48:51 AM
Indeed. Some clarification on how strong our Jedi connection is/what backstory elements are necessary would be very useful - I don't want to commit to a character+history that turns out to be incompatible.

Well, character-wise... padawans who are competent enough to ascend to knighthood (As you all are. :P) are generally between 14-25. For the sake of propriety, youngest character will be 16. :P I haven't decided how old the GM NPC because it largely depends on her padawan. She made Knighthood at 22, and padawans are generally taken in by masters at adolescence. So however old her padawan is, she'd be roughly 10-12 years older. ...Whenever that is. :P

Otherwise, I'm not too picky. The last major event in the galaxy was the Great Sith War, which most padawans should be too young to have remembered. Their old masters and the last generation remembers it well, however.

Quote from: kckolbe on July 27, 2011, 01:42:11 PM
Yeah, I think a couple of others were planning on having limited time among the Jedi as well.  Admittedly, though, the Matukai concept did involve a certain identification with his Matukai roots in tough times, and a feeling of elitism to explain his rather high willpower.  The only time I could see him gathering dark side points would be, ironically, when resisting the dark side, as he would resist due to pride and superiority rather than for the right reason.  His soul would be just corrupted enough to stay pure.  Wow, if it weren't for my almost complete lack of respect for poetry, I could have gotten so much ass writing things like that.

Unrelated question, but what's your military experience?  I have been Air Force intel for almost ten years.

Heh heh.

Two and a half years in the Army (and counting. :P)

Quote from: rancorius on July 27, 2011, 02:10:51 PM
sounds interesting are you still looking for players?

Sure. What did you have in mind?

Also, by the way... the GM NPC will likely be something along these lines.

Not sure about the mechanics... so I kind of filled her out with whatever.

And the whole concept was inspired by the sexy sci-fi soldiers of Mass Effect.  ::) :P Also explains why she's got so much gear. And I'm a geardo at heart.

kckolbe

I can't view your rough draft of the GM NPC, but I like where the inspiration is coming from.  Well, if the Matukai is nixed, I could go with the frail force user.  One of us has to be less combat skilled.  I can't believe I'm going mage-y for my first SWSE character.  Admittedly, it seems that being effective will be easy.

By the way, I think this concept would be a good fit as the actual padawan.  High potential, low willpower, and little combat prowess.

Intro Thread

TheGlyphstone

I'm about ready to start poking at a sheet, once I get feedback on that Kinetic Combat stuff I sent your way.

Inerrant Lust

Damn you mythweavers! :P

This should work.

You'll have to wait a bit for me to look at that stuff in detail, Glyph.

Kckolbe; By all means. :P

Man, I just realized I'm probably going to have to turn some people down for this game. :(

TheGlyphstone

Such is the fate of he who dares to offer to GM a rarely seen system game.

Funguy81

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on July 27, 2011, 10:33:00 PM
Damn you mythweavers! :P

This should work.

You'll have to wait a bit for me to look at that stuff in detail, Glyph.

Kckolbe; By all means. :P

Man, I just realized I'm probably going to have to turn some people down for this game. :(

do what you have to, though i'm still interested. 

kckolbe

All right, still need to do a proper sheet, and I guess I can try Myth-Weavers for that, but I have the basic gist down.  He's fun, and as a student, probably rather exasperating.  As promised, I did not take a single combat feat, and he will not be wearing armor.  I did roll pretty decently, though, and I think he'll be okay.  I took Force Training twice, and am considering a third installment, as he seems the type to not even bother with direct combat.  Lightsabers, awesome as they are, can't be for everyone.  Here's what I was thinking for a picture, though admittedly it was difficult finding a playful-looking human mage/jedi.

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae316/kckolbe/Jedi_knight_I_by_dywa.jpg

Intro Thread

rancorius

human jedi trained in 2 saber fighting

kckolbe

By the way, are there no skill points in this game?  According to pg 58, your skill modifier goes up for all skills every time you level.  Does this mean all I have to do is assign my trained skills?

Intro Thread

TheGlyphstone

That's correct, from what I can see.