Spiky stegosaurus 'mated in missionary position to avoid male being castrated'

Started by Spookie Monster, April 01, 2013, 05:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

Spiky stegosaurus 'mated in missionary position to avoid male being castrated'

How did dinosaurs with spiky backs make love?  Very carefully, one might imagine.

But scientists have gone one step further than guessing -- with a fascinating computer-tested theory.

It contradicts the belief that all dinosaurs mated with the male mounting the female from behind.

Researchers said that in some species the female's spiky tail and back could have castrated the male.

Instead, they may have used something closer to the missionary position, with the male on top.

Interesting stuff, but I'm a little disappointed in the Daily Mail on this occasion: Don't they usually put one word in the title of each of their articles entirely in capital letters?  In this case I might have suggested:

"Spiky stegosaurus 'MATED in missionary position to avoid male being castrated'"

or

"Spiky stegosaurus 'mated in MISSIONARY position to avoid male being castrated'"

or, perhaps most likely,

"Spiky stegosaurus 'mated in missionary position to avoid male being CASTRATED'"

And why the heck does the artist's rendering captioned Dinosaurs may have had sex in the missionary position to prevent them from being castrated, according to a new study. show some tyrannosaurs getting it on dino-style rather than some stegosaurs getting it on in the missionary position?  Criminy, they should have just gone to deviantART; I'm sure that they could have found something.

Anyhow, it's an interesting theory well-suited to perverts like us.  Enjoy!

Spel

Don't be holding back from me...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

slaveaziza

I love learning new stuff like this regarding dinosaurs. I recently learned that there's been a new tyrannosaur species found in Utah, proving that giant dinosaurs existed 10 million years earlier than previous discoveries had indicated.

IStateYourName

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

makizushi

Umm.. I thought all dinosaurs were reptiles, therefore they laid eggs. So no fornication required, right?!

Inkidu

Quote from: makizushi on February 06, 2014, 12:07:01 AM
Umm.. I thought all dinosaurs were reptiles, therefore they laid eggs. So no fornication required, right?!
Nope. They need to be fertilized. I think whether a reptile lays eggs unfertilized or not is dependent on the species.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: makizushi on February 06, 2014, 12:07:01 AM

Dinosaurs certainly would have shagged - as do birds, I think (don't ask me how Antarctic penguins breed!)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

Lizards have to copulate.  It's not like fish where the egg membrane can be penetrated after it's laid.  There's also some debate as to whether dinosaurs should be classed as 'reptiles' and not their own separate group.  There is evidence that they may have been thermoregulating (warm-blooded), and had more bird-like behavior (such as caring for young) than modern reptiles.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Presumably the biggest ones, such as Brontosaurus, had intercourse with their bodies mostly underwater, which relieved them of any trouble with supporting their massive frames.  8-)

gaggedLouise

Checking with Wikipedia, I noticed that the house sparrow is part of the defining range of the group "Dinosaurs" according to some modern taxonomists.  8-) (because birds originated from the realm of weird reptiles we all love to hear about).

Tsenta

My mind has no trouble wrapping around freaky dino sex. But I can't help but wonder the odd noises created during it....it prolly sounds like my Friday nights. Lots of honks, low groans, and stomping.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Tsenta on February 23, 2014, 02:01:59 AM
My mind has no trouble wrapping around freaky dino sex. But I can't help but wonder the odd noises created during it....it prolly sounds like my Friday nights. Lots of honks, low groans, and stomping.

You're lucky they didn't give live birth. Just try to imagine the groans of a female Tyrannosaurus or Diplodocus in labour!  :o