News:

Main Menu

Dr Who anyone?

Started by spiritdancer, May 27, 2010, 08:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeekFury

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 31, 2010, 01:33:39 PM
They did a PILOT .. be afraid.. be VERY afraid. I saw it.. but it's in the 'Highlander 2' file. It NEVER REALLY happened.

Like the American version of Life on Mars that made it all a dream, in a dream of astronauts going to Mars... Or the American Red Dwarf pilot.. DID'NT HAPPEN!

spiritdancer

Some things the Americans or Germans just can't do. Some things just the folks of great Britain ... or if you prefer this: The United Kingdom can do. We Germans can't even properly show the series over here. The translation is so half-hearted (I admit. It's hard, but it's far from impossible!), and I guess the humor is so different, that it doesn't work.

Now, just don't get me started on German humor though..
Ons and Offs

Currently looking for players: [EX various] Superheroines/villainesses - Souls Lost - RP Idea - especially canon (marvel and DC) characters wanted, see link

Behold: The Star towers of the Electic Castle! See how it embraces the sky!
How insignificant the mere mortal, dwarfed by the majesty of its electric edifice.

Callie Del Noire

I remember my first episode. It was WAY back when.. about 2 seasons before the Tom Baker strike that made that gap of time so unfun. (That would be around 1979 ish that I saw my first ep.)

Surprisingly I seem to be in the minority of my friends in that he's my 2nd or 3rd favorite (not top)

WhiteyChan

I've seen the entire run of the original Dr Who vs The Daleks, back in black and white, when nobody knew who the Daleks were. That was brilliant, still good even today.

The reboot of the show is generally pretty good, I think. Its made an otherwise niche show into a mainstream broadcast, so all credit to the team there. Even if it was starting to wane under Russell T Davies, the new head writer, Stephen Moffat, is an incredible writer - Matt Smith is doing a pretty decent job of it as well, so far. Nice to see a range of emotion in the Doctor every now and then.

Callie Del Noire

I like the mystery behind Professor River Song. Nice to see someone who can continually get a leg up on the Doctor

Inkidu

Quote from: spiritdancer on May 31, 2010, 03:12:02 AM
Sorry, but it is. No. Not sorry. Actually most of the things I like are more in the realm of Science Fantasy, than anything else. Some do better in that regard than others - apart from the Doctor there is for example Riddick. I loved how that movie provided terms, designs and an action driven story reminiscent of a video game. When I saw it for the first time (and I didn't see Pitch Black before it), I actually thought it was a movie for a video game ^^

Back to the Doctor though: I was not too thrilled with the last episode "Cold Blood", the first part of this two-part episode was a lot better. The thing I really liked a lot about it, though, was the very end :D
God you just won't stop! Now it's Riddick! I'll never be able to watch anything with that stupid paradoxical title! Fantastical things happen in science fiction because the science or the exotic locales not because of magic. Sure Riddick had some moments of mysticism but that wasn't totally unexplainable the way fantasy magic is. In science fiction everything has an explanation no matter how fantastical it seems. Any good science fiction. Save sci-fantasy for things like Avatar.

What a stupid name for sub-genre... bleck!

The Doctor is always willing and quite proud to put up some totally B.S. sciencey sounding answer and that's what's awesome!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: GeekFury on May 31, 2010, 02:51:08 PM
Like the American version of Life on Mars that made it all a dream, in a dream of astronauts going to Mars... Or the American Red Dwarf pilot.. DID'NT HAPPEN!

You shouldn't scare me by saying something like that?

Caela

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 31, 2010, 04:53:57 PM
I like the mystery behind Professor River Song. Nice to see someone who can continually get a leg up on the Doctor

Oooooo, is she back in the new season?! I loved her in the library episode, especially the look on the Doctor's face when she whispered his name to him.

elliedark

Quote from: Caela on May 31, 2010, 07:18:14 PM
Oooooo, is she back in the new season?! I loved her in the library episode, especially the look on the Doctor's face when she whispered his name to him.

Oh yes she's back and for each question answered, 4 more show up.

I just saw Cold Blood yesterday and I enjoyed the episode, but it was the end that did it. I nearly cried and then my jaw hit the floor.
All that is and never was joining hands just because.
Ellie's O/O

Caela

Quote from: elliedark on May 31, 2010, 07:59:16 PM
Oh yes she's back and for each question answered, 4 more show up.

I just saw Cold Blood yesterday and I enjoyed the episode, but it was the end that did it. I nearly cried and then my jaw hit the floor.

Very cool!! Can't wait for it to come out on DVD here so I can watch alllllllllllll of them lol

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Caela on May 31, 2010, 07:18:14 PM

Yup.. just saw the two parter with her this weekend (thank you 'On Demand')

Caela

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 31, 2010, 08:14:15 PM
Yup.. just saw the two parter with her this weekend (thank you 'On Demand')

lol...See there's my problem, I refuse to pay for cable. I'd only watch like 3-5 channels, so very much not worth it to me.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Caela on May 31, 2010, 08:24:09 PM
lol...See there's my problem, I refuse to pay for cable. I'd only watch like 3-5 channels, so very much not worth it to me.

Same here.. (mostly) but they are all cable channels. Plus I have this dislike of paying a 'pay for not having cable tv' with a 'non-usage' fee. (A buddy of mine has satellite but he has to pay extra for just the cable modem)

Caela

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 31, 2010, 08:53:32 PM
Same here.. (mostly) but they are all cable channels. Plus I have this dislike of paying a 'pay for not having cable tv' with a 'non-usage' fee. (A buddy of mine has satellite but he has to pay extra for just the cable modem)

Hmmmm, have never heard of that before! I don't use a cable modem though so that might be why. My modem runs through my phone lines.

spiritdancer

Oh yes. Riversong is back. And wait until you see these episodes. There are more smilarities with the two Library episodes, than just that.
Adn we'll see even more of her.
Ons and Offs

Currently looking for players: [EX various] Superheroines/villainesses - Souls Lost - RP Idea - especially canon (marvel and DC) characters wanted, see link

How insignificant the mere mortal, dwarfed by the majesty of its electric edifice.

Caela

Quote from: spiritdancer on June 01, 2010, 04:06:57 AM
Oh yes. Riversong is back. And wait until you see these episodes. There are more smilarities with the two Library episodes, than just that.
Adn we'll see even more of her.

Yay! I wasn't sure we would with her recognizing DT as her Doctor and them him regenerating into Matt Smith. I was hoping she'd still be in the picture but wasn't sure.

spiritdancer

I'm not such a great fan of hers. But I love the episodes she's in. Blame Moffat!
Ons and Offs

elliedark

The library episodes were great, really great, but Blink is still one of the best episodes Moffat has ever made.
All that is and never was joining hands just because.
Ellie's O/O

Stan'

Rumour has it, she's been filming scenes for the two-part finale.

WhiteyChan

Quote from: elliedark on June 01, 2010, 07:45:29 AM
The library episodes were great, really great, but Blink is still one of the best episodes Moffat has ever made.

Don't forget the gas-mask episodes in the first series, with Christopher Eccleston.

Stan'

Quote from: WhiteyChan on June 01, 2010, 08:08:44 AM
Don't forget the gas-mask episodes in the first series, with Christopher Eccleston.

With Richard Wilson.  Great actor.

King_Furby

I only started to enjoy Dr Who with this 2005 reboot, and i like all the episodes. the new series with matt isn't as good as tennants run, but matt is still growing into the role, in the end he is still fun to watch. the reboot has saved dr who, it has a way larger audience now. i download the new episodes every sunday, it's great to watch with my dad.

spiritdancer

Ons and Offs

Caela

Quote from: elliedark on June 01, 2010, 07:45:29 AM

Blink just freaks me the hell out! lol.. If I'm watching a bunch of episodes (on a weekend or something) I will start them early enough that I don't have to watch that ep at night, hehehe...Amazingly well done, one of my favorites!

sexybamagirl69

I love Doctor Who. I was in love with David Tennent, but I like that Matt Smith is a little younger.