Shadowrun 5th Edition Recruitment: Fields of Iowa

Started by Angie, December 03, 2021, 02:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

The year is 2058. The world is still rocked by the death of President Dunkelzahn, the first and probably only dragon to be elected UCAS President. Massive riots throughout the UCAS territories have only just begun to slow down. For most people, life goes on: Corporate entities continue to grow in strength, life on the streets gets harder by the day, and the top 1% play with the lives of the other 99 like the most lethal game of chess ever played. It is a great time to live and run in the shadows, however: With the sheer level of chaos on the streets, contracts are competitive, nuyen flows like water, and the need for secrecy is practically gone. A smart Shadowrunner could easily spin this period of time into a healthy stack of cash to retire on.

You're a smart Shadowrunner, and you have a golden opportunity: A fixer offering steady work out in Iowa, a UCAS territory. He needs a lot of runners for a "long term project" as he calls it. Iowa is pretty quiet too, and the stacks of nuyen are fat, with plenty of opportunity to find side gigs if it's not enough for you. And what's more, the fixer is pretty on the level with you. He tells you it'll be dangerous, despite Iowa itself being quiet, he's expecting rival teams to attack as other fixers "get jealous" and "want what he has". He's got other contacts to help you-weapon runners, ammo suppliers, talismongers and programmers, anyone a runner might need to make the run go well.

You know something's up, but a smart runner doesn't ask too many questions. You ain't paid to ask. And the dollar signs are big enough to don't have to. The jobs might raise an eyebrow, but your fixer assures you it's all for the project. Protect this shipment of aluminum, he asks. Deliver these chemicals to a remote location. Strange jobs, not the usual for a heavily armed crew, but who the hell knows? Maybe he's just being extra paranoid, giving you a prime opportunity to make some cash.

Divergent Technology
Spoilered because I want to add some degree of formatting, damnit

So, 3rd Edition, everyone had super bulky cyberdecks and corps had massive offices with massive lines of fiber optic cable and such. 4th Edition happened after a "Crash 2.0" that ended up creating a move to wireless tech. 2058 is BEFORE Crash 2.0. So what are we to do?

Simple: We're going to pretend that the world is moving towards wireless tech, Commlinks are the big thing, replacing most bulky Cyberdecks, though your Commlink can look like a big bulky Cyberdeck if you like. Corporations still have massive servers, and you'll still have to jack in to some degree, but basically I'm justifying us having commlinks like 10 years before they were actually a thing. Technology moved faster than the editions could keep up!

AR is also a big thing, so there's plenty of it out there. Farmers mark their property both with physical fences and AR fences that warn you they'll shoot to kill. Plenty of entertainment establishments make use of AR. A lot of it is glitchy and spotty due to the area, most of Iowa is a Matrix "Dead Zone" for most Technomancers. It's not fun! Novice runners get reminded that all the tech in the world won't save you when it's out of range and there's an angry troll with a shotgun!

So now we're recruiting. Give us your best, Chummer! Myself and TF Commando are on deck for assisting with character creation. I'll give it some time since a lot of people, myself included, will be learning a new edition. So we are newbie friendly. Some important things to think about:

1: Why are they here in Iowa?
2: What are they looking to get from this particular shadowrunning experience?
3: Would they ever work with a cowboy?

Extra thing to read once you're done creating:
Add an extra, free contact to your sheet of "Billy Thorton", with a Connection and Relationship of 2 each. He's your fixer for this operation. No you can't adjust him at all, he's a plot device.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Pumpkin Seeds

Mosos

Wolfling72

Dang it...I don't know the newer editions...

stares a this really hard...
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Angie

Quote from: Wolfling72 on December 03, 2021, 03:22:24 PM
Dang it...I don't know the newer editions...

stares a this really hard...

Can you add two numbers together and then roll an equal number of d6s, only counting the ones that are 1s, 5s, and 6s?

If you can, you're in!

Wolfling72

Quote from: Angie on December 03, 2021, 03:24:26 PM
Can you add two numbers together and then roll an equal number of d6s, only counting the ones that are 1s, 5s, and 6s?

If you can, you're in!

Dang it...you've found my weakness...DICE rolling!!

*I miss it sooo much*

*runs off to see if I can make room for this...*
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

TFcommando

I'm quite interested and can handle 4e or 5e, and provide assistance with the latter.

Shadowrun 5e returns to the Priority system of earlier versions, so you just pick how strong you are in the five categories, assigning A, B, C, D and E instead of spending 400+ points.  The die pools are the same, but the big new mechanic is "Limits," which are a cap on the number of successes you can get on a roll.  If you roll 18 dice for spell casting and cast one at Force 1, only one success counts, as a spell's Force is its limit.  Your stats determine your Limit for most skill use, but sometimes gear is the limiting factor, like the accuracy value of a gun.

I have a notion for a rigger, a local country girl who loves cars and driving fast.  Perhaps a typical one or even an Adept driver, one who just has a feel for it. 
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

CurvyKitten

I also do not know the new additions! Dang it! LOL Is the character creation as complicated as it was in the older editions?

TFcommando

Here's the basic table.  Five categories, and you assign each a priority, you have an A, B, C, D and E. 

So someone who wanted to be a top level human mage would go Magic A, Skills B, Attributes C, Resources D and Metatype E.  Or if you wanted to be an elf mage, take Metatype D and Resources E.

Buying gear (and cyberware, if you're a cyber type) is arguably the most complex part, but there's a lot of pre-made gear packages you can choose from, like so.  https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=12226.0

Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

CurvyKitten

Hmm yup looks just as complicated LOL though I have to old characters from a old shadowrun game that might convert easily enough.

Angie

Definitely seems like we have at least the start of a crew. So, 4th edition also has a priority system as an optional rule, are people feeling more 4th edition or 5th? I know little of 5th edition but I'm good at diving in so, I can handle it.

TFcommando

I’m feeling 5th!   The 4e priority system felt a little lacking to me.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Callie Del Noire

greenknight

Not that I'm interested in not manipulating target numbers, but what are the parenthetical number after the subspecies and what the post slash numbers on skills?
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

TFcommando

For subspecies, it’s the number of special attribute points you get, Edge or Magic or Resonance if applicable.  Skills, the first is skill points, the second is skill group points.

Addendum:

Say you wanted to make a character like the Occult Detective who has some magic and a lot of mundane skills.  You could take Magic at C and be a full magician with Magic 3 and 5 spells, then take Metatype at E and put that point into Magic, for a total Magic stat of 4.

An interesting quirk of this is that every mundane human is very lucky… You’ll want Magic at E, taking Human at D for +3 Edge, 5 total (humans start with Edge 2 to make them a little more appealing).
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Muse

Meep!  Am I too late? 

*Runs around like a chicken with his head cut off* 

I want to play!  :) 

i'm good with either fourth or fifth.  (Better with fifth.)  I like to do magical types, but i've also got a dwarf rocker girl turned razor girl it would be fun to play, and plenty of other concepts.
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

greenknight

When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Angie

Quote from: greenknight on December 04, 2021, 08:08:06 PM
Does Edge replace Karma Pool?

Uhh, if I remember my third edition right, I think you're correct.

TFcommando

Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Crensler

I have definite interest, but I'm not too familiar with any of the editions of the game.  I'm more than willing to learn, though ^^;

Mosos

I prefer 5th (As my favorite new corporation appears), but will not complain if fourth is picked either.

ravinwulf

PixelatedPixie

I would be interested as well if there is still room, and can do either 4th or 5th (with a small preference towards 4th). 

TFcommando

I'm thinking of an Adept wheelman (or wheel woman), using innate skill to drive like crazy, without any cyberware.  A smuggler/transporter country girl from somewhere in the area, inspired by the Dukes of Hazard or Riding Bean.  Though I always have plenty of character ideas! 

I have a lot of experience with the system and will gladly help anyone with characters.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Angie

Alright, I think interest has been proven. We've settled on 5th ed it looks like, so that's what we'll use. Editing now.

I'm looking for 6 players max, so if you're not feeling like learning a new system, no worries, no shame in it. But me and TF Commando are happy to help, PM me for my discord if you're needing it.