News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Interest check for freeform Star Wars game

Started by RedEve, January 20, 2008, 09:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryvaken

True. You can't go too wrong with a mythic theme, and Lucas used some of the classic elements. He also started the ball on a lot of solid cinematic technologies. But when picking a setting for a game, it's generally a good idea to pick one unsoiled by really stupid authors. That disqualifies everything after the Killik incident, including the entirety of the Legacy era, the early Vong era (Salvatore got it off to a bad start but it hit its stride pretty well), the movie eras, and most everything with the Old Republic Jedi, which have become flanderized into a morass of corruption and conceit.
In creativity, meaning.

Serenity Vixen

So... are we critiquing Licas' work? Or starting a game?
Who all holds genuine interest in this game?
And who will act as GM?
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

Ryvaken

Critiquing the work and expressing interest in a game, but not in specific time periods. I have no intention of starting anything -- history will bear me out to demonstrate that things I start do not end well.
In creativity, meaning.

Rydia

I'm guessing that since the OP hasn't had anything to say on this in a while, it's more of a literary discussion and SW fanboys ranting about how badly X sucked.
Check it out.

What are you doing just reading this profile?  Say hello to the friendly Rydia.

Serenity Vixen

"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

Ryvaken

In creativity, meaning.

Vandren

Looks like she vanished.  I'd be willing to try moding something, but don't really have the time, until at least June, to do more than run one character.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Bladestorm

If the vote is still ongoing, I'd like to throw my hat in for OR or Clone Wars/immediately pre Clone Wars era.  Yeah, everyone seems to love the NJO, but I personally feel the jedi of that time period lack the majesty of their earlier counterparts, and the Sith...don't get me started on Lumiya, please.  I'll end up ranting about Jacen, and nobody wants that.

I know some people feel Lucas initiated the Fail with the movies in Clone Wars, but the books are slowly making up for that.

The only problem, in my case, is that I adore the Sith, and would like to play one, if possible.

Longspeak

I'd like to step in and offer to run.

I don't know the EU much (I strongly dislike most of what I've read, so I haven't read much).

My preference for running is one of two things:

1) Immediately following the end of RotJ, creating our own story from that point, ignoring the EU (If pressed, I'd be willing to incorporate the Timothy Zahn trilogy; I'm not in love with those books, but I didn't hate them).  The heroes of the movies become elder statesmen while a new group of heroes takes the foreground.

2) Pick a point in the six movies where we can change events.  Explore how the story might be different from there.  Can either make all new characters, or take characters from the movies and explore how they change as well.

3) Pick a point before the movies (Old Republic) and just go.  My knowledge of the Old Republic all comes from playing KOTOR, so this isn't a preferred route for me unless all concerned don't mind just making stuff up.

Any interest?

Rydia

I was up for the original game, and I could still be interested.  Will the game feature adult content?
Check it out.

Longspeak

That depends entirely on the desires of the participants.

Serenity Vixen

Will a Force-Sensitive Trianii Ranger who wants to be a Jedi ((or with much less enthusiasm a Sith)) be a viable character concept?

Maybe a bit more human-looking Halfbreed Trianii?  :P

Longspeak

See my previous comments regarding the Extended Universe.  I haven't the vaugest idea what a Trianii or Trianii Ranger is (though I assume they look like cats ;p ).

As for Force Sensitive, it really depends what sort of tale we want to tell.  I have no problem with the concept in general, but I can't see it fitting in every circumstance.

I have to be very upfront with my opinion of the EU.  I wouldn't want people coming in and later getting mad because we're not acknowleding the events surrounded their favorite SW book.

For each of my previous three suggestions, here's a more specific ideas, as examples:

1) After the Empire's defeat at Endor, the alliance is beginning to build itself toward becoming a Republic again.  Luke Skywalker wants to revive the old Jedi, but there's still so much he doesn't know.  The databanks on Coruscant have been purged.  PCs are members of the alliance and/or potential Jedi in search of histories and information about the old Order.

2) I've done a couple of these and I don't want to redo those specific ideas.  Those ideas were huge changes with far reaching implications within the SW universe.  But here's a simple one:
QuoteOn Bail Organa's starship, Padme dies giving birth to her children.  Bail, Obiwan and Yoda discuss what to do.

"I'll take the boy to Alderaan," says Senator Organa.  "My wife and I have always wanted a son."

"And Obiwan," Says Yoda.  "To Tatooine, you must take the girl.  To her family.  Watch over her you will."

"Yes, Master Yoda."

Twenty years later, how has this changed things?

Another one that may or may not be simple:  What if Qui Gonn had lived and Obiwan had died?

3) Hmm.... I don't really have a decent idea here.  More thinking is needed.

Rydia

I can't say it any more that I'd be interested, generally speaking, in the game as you have outlined it thus far.  Provided, of course, adult content is present.
Check it out.

Longspeak

Bits of the EU I have been known to accept happen to include the Corporate Sector Authority from the Han Solo novels by Brian Daley.  I was reminded of this when I looked up Trianii (and found that, yes, they *are* cat people - snerk).  Haven't read those books in 25+ years, but I have used the Corporate Sector in a couple of games.

So if interest exists, let's get specific.  Should I put this in a new topic and link to it to more potential exposure?

Setting

My previous ideas were meant as suggestions and examples.  Hearing no others I'll put them forth as solid offers:  Do we want to play in one of two worlds I've outlined?

1) After RotJ: Pros include a free setting.  The history is written, let's get on with writing the future.  No real Cons.  Can't be a Jedi unless we place the setting a while later, to allow time for new Jedi to be trained.  Jedi-like traditions from beyond the outer rim might be possible.  That actual story idea is open to revision.  Honestly, in this setting, I can easily see me furnishing a few paragraphs to set the thing up and then letting you guys loose to decide where the heck you'll take it.

2) Leia Skywalker/Luke Organa: Pros include (for some) the fun of exploring the familiar story with a new twist.  How has this simple change affected the galaxy?  How is the story different?  Did they grow up the same?  Does Leia chafe at being asked to stay on the farm for just one more season?  Did she and Biggs become an item?  Is Luke a diplomat?  A Young Senator?  Or is he still Luke, only better dressed, uncomfortable with the role he's expected to play, loving nothing more than flying his hopper through the ofrests of Alderaan?  Hell, is he even part of the rebellion?  These are the things those who step into these roles would determine.

Cons include (again, for some) the fact that you're pretty much slotted into one of a few roles, those of movie characters, and the story is largely the same, barring any changes made.  And again, no Jedi.  Well...one, but he's *old.*

Serena: Your concept wouldn't really fit into #2.  But it could in #1.

The biggest con with both ideas is the lack of Jedi.  If we want Jedi we need a different setting.  I'm open to suggestions for an Old Republic game in that case.

Adult Content:  As Rydia has asked, I should address this specifically.  I have no problem with adult content.  But I need to know how far players expect to take things.  And... weird as it may sound, my own limits would depend on the setting we choose.  I'd have fewer limits if we used an option that didn't use established characters.  Not keen to see Leia assaulted by Jabba the Hutt, I guess.

Serenity Vixen

I would like to play no matter what is decided.

I prefer to play a Trianni Ranger or, even better, a more human looking Half-Trianii Ranger if allowed, and in my dream game, I would eventually have the possibility of learning the ways of the force and becoming a Jedi. I can handle sexual content, but prefer it make sense in the context of the story, rather then it being a game based around the idea of having sex. In other words, I can handle if characters decide to have sex, or even if captured characters are 'interrogated', etc. I just want it to make sense, rather then sex being the main focus of the game.

That said, these are just preferences, and I would like to be involved even if the setting is not my dream setting :)

Longspeak

Something about the idea of alien half-breeds in Star Wars troubles me.  Dunno why, but the thought of half-breeds doesn't feel Star Wars-y.

That said, there's not a darned thing to stop you from making your own race of hot cat-women.  And it's possible I just need to frickin' get over myself.

How's this:

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Star Wars
Episode VII
A New Republic

It is a time of hope.  The Rebel Alliance, gaining momentum after the victory at Endor, has swept through the galaxy, gaining support in ever increasing numbers.  Led by Mon Mothma and Leia Organa, the Alliance has restored diplomatic relations with many systems.  The war is far from over, but alliance forces continue to meet the challenges ahead.

Through this chaos, Luke Skywalker seeks to rebuild the Order of Jedi.  The task is not an easy one.  No Jedi remain who might share their knowledge; the Jedi Temple and Great Library on Coruscant have been razed, their secrets purged for eternity; and the emperor's agents log ago culled all the knowledge they could before destroying it. 

On his ship, The Phoenix - a converted Nebulon B Frigate - Commander Skywalker combs the galaxy in search of lost secrets of the Jedi.  His crew of pilots, soldiers, scientists, scholars and hopeful students stride the galaxy, seeking what remaining knowledge the stars may yet hide...

Serenity Vixen

That sounds like a good opening sequence to me :)

Hmmmm... making a new race, that sounds like fun :)

Maybe I am a catgirl princess who escaped from her planet which has been over run with some of the empires forces, and she is seeking allies to liberate her homeland...

Rydia

Minor nitpick (and I can't believe I'm about to do this), Luke Skywalker was a general in the Rebellion/Republic.
Check it out.

Longspeak

You might want to check your sources on that.

Rydia

Ahh crap.  You're right.  It's only EU material that makes him a general.  Kenobi was the general in the material.  Calrissian too, I think.
Check it out.

Longspeak

:-)

Even Han got to be a General.  The alliance gave those commissions out like candy.

Rydia

I must have flown a million missions in a TIE cockpit and never made Admial...
Check it out.

Ryvaken

Quote from: Rydia on February 15, 2008, 03:37:01 AM
Ahh crap.  You're right.  It's only EU material that makes him a general.  Kenobi was the general in the material.  Calrissian too, I think.
Check again. He resigned his commission at the rank of Commander after the Bakura incident, when he realized he hated being in charge of large operations.
In creativity, meaning.

Longspeak

EU does say he was made a General later, according to Wookiepedia.  However, this is part of my problem with EU.  Aside from consistently poor writing, it doesn't always agree with itself.