Truth, Justice and Brownies if you got 'em (Superheroes, MHR)

Started by Guancyto, December 26, 2015, 06:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

One more question for you for when you get back, then, wander, or for Guancyto if he logs on and sees it.  Basically, I was looking over a few different heroes recently to get a better grasp on where the numbers are on some powers and I noted that the Hulk has Leaping at d10.  Since that sets d10 as the minimum needed to be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound (since the Hulk can leap for miles once he gets up to speed), would nudging Ace's Leaping up by a single die size from d8 to d10 be too much, or...? ^^; I already have Flight, so not getting the d10 won't really mess with my performance at all, it's mostly just a flavor concern.

Quote from: wander on January 04, 2016, 08:50:31 PM
Alot to catch up on here, so I'll have a proper read through and add more tomorrow, though the tracking device is used on the Spiderman datafile in the Basic Game book... I'll look it up and see how fitting it'd be for inclusion into your datafile, Reiji.

The Tracking Device SFX in Spidey's datafile is more of a 'plant a bug on the badguy's costume to track him back to his lair' effect, rather than the videogame-esque target lock ability that Reiji's looking for, unfortunately.  Modeling it as a Complication, rather than an Asset, might work better mechanically, though.

Guancyto

There's a lot here!

Kuno, I'll agree with wander that I like the revamped Ace a lot (and yeah, bump your Leaping because it's not a big difference either way).
For Venusite, one of your fellows suggested Ascendant-O's but that might be a little bit too evil.

Hmm, milestones for her (just spitballing ideas here, for a woman out of time)...

1 XP silver age: You are stymied or confounded by modern technology or culture (what is this 'why fie hot spot' and what does it have to do with those cameras?)
10 XP silver age: You have to choose between the principles you know are correct and what the modern world tells you is correct, and stand by your decision (No, you move)

3 XP comic book hero: You make a new and completely unnecessary name for an unorthodox use of your powers (with the power of my SUPER-WEAVING, I'll...)

Reiji, could you PM me details on the organization in the game the character came from? I'd like to get a feel for what narrative role they might fill.
Shade, couldn't your bunnygirl solve all her problems by finding a relative and getting them to punch her in the face? (Actually wait, that's perfect.)

Premier

I took a wild swing at it!

Name: Tabitha
Hero Name: Doc Tabby

Affiliations:
Solo        d6
Buddy   d8
Team    d10

Distinctions:
"I'll show them! I'll show them all!"
The Great Project’s greatest failure
Not a real Doctor

Power Sets:
ONE SMART KITTY

- Sorcery  D10
- Mimic     D10

SFX: Doesn't mind Sharing. When you activate an opportunity to create a resource, step up that resource die. If another player gives you 1 pp, their hero may also use this resource.
SFX: Incredible Intuition. When using Mimic to create assets or complications, add a d6 and step up your effect die.
SFX: Trust me, I’m a Doctor. Add sorcery to your dice pool when helping others recover stress. Spend 1 PP to recover your own or another’s Physical Stress or step back your own or another’s Physical Trauma by –1.

Limit: THAT SHOULDN'T BE BEEPING: Change ONE SMART KITTY into a complication to gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover that power.
Limit: Only a little bit mad. Both 1 and 2 on your dice count as opportunities when using ONE SMART KITTY.

SELF EXPERIMENTATION

Enhanced Reflexes D8
Enhanced Senses   D8
Enhanced Stamina  D8
Enhanced Strength  D8

SFX - Pushed to the limit - Step up or double any SELF EXPERIMENTATION die on your next roll, or spend 1 PP to do both, then shutdown that power. Recover Power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.
SFX - Cat-Like Reflexes - Spend 1 PP to add Enhanced Reflexes (or step up by +1 if already in your pool) and reroll all dice when taking an action.

Limit: Not quite perfect. Shut down SELF EXPERIMENTATION to gain 1 PP. Recover power during a Transition Scene (preferably by eating).

Specialties:
Acrobatics Expert   d8
Medical Master       d10
Mystic Master        d10
Science Master      d10
Tech Master           d10

Milestones:

Finishing the Great Project

1 XP - When an ally becomes a test subject by making use of a resource created through your Medical, Mystic, Science or Tech specialties.
3 XP - When you test out an experiment on yourself
10 XP - When you pass up the chance at Perfection to support friends, or betray your friends for a chance at Perfection.

Insecure (Even for a cat)

1 XP - When you explain something that didn’t need an explanation
3 XP - When you try to beat someone at something they’re clearly better at.
10 XP - When showing off how smart you are causes a major disaster, or you fix a major disaster just to show off how smart you are.

Premier

Tabitha came from a planet that was once used as a giant testing lab by a Cosmic Power to try create the perfect being. The experiment was abandoned as a failure but kept for monitoring just in case. As the lab subjects slowly manage to free themselves and read the notes left behind, they’ve had to puzzle together an explanation for what their lives are about without a proper reference point. Tabitha was the closest they got to success and wasn't very popular because of it, especially since she wasn't angry at the creators like most of the survivors, she just wanted to prove she was better than them and could finish what they couldn't.

Tabitha ended up on Earth by happy accident, she was searching for the Creators and assumed that life on Earth might be them. She managed to teleport herself across the universe and while she didn’t find what she was looking for has enjoyed Earth a hell of a lot more, such that she’s no desire to go back.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Guancyto on January 05, 2016, 04:31:42 AM
There's a lot here!

Kuno, I'll agree with wander that I like the revamped Ace a lot (and yeah, bump your Leaping because it's not a big difference either way).
For Venusite, one of your fellows suggested Ascendant-O's but that might be a little bit too evil.

Hmm, milestones for her (just spitballing ideas here, for a woman out of time)...

1 XP silver age: You are stymied or confounded by modern technology or culture (what is this 'why fie hot spot' and what does it have to do with those cameras?)
10 XP silver age: You have to choose between the principles you know are correct and what the modern world tells you is correct, and stand by your decision (No, you move)

3 XP comic book hero: You make a new and completely unnecessary name for an unorthodox use of your powers (with the power of my SUPER-WEAVING, I'll...)

That first 1xp Milestone option conflicts a bit with Ace's Tech Expert d8 Specialty, but there's a narrative reason for it to still work.  Basically, having been raised as a member of an advanced alien society, Ace was naturally given all sorts of in-story knowledge about alien civilizations and advanced science and technology.  When she was brought to life in a magical ritual, said ritual also transferred to her the necessary knowledge to allow her skillset to function in real life, so she still possesses enough scientific and technical knowledge to figure out on her own how modern technology works.

That said, just because she can comprehend how a device works doesn't mean that she understands the design principles that it was built upon, so she could still be left mystified as to why, say, everyone's portable telephones are shaped like flat little rectangles, or why they built cameras into the things but not any other possible sensor options.  In fact, I'd say that those options all fit pretty well for what I wanted the Silver Age Sensibilities Milestone to represent. ^^

The other Milestone, which I'm thinking I'll just rename to 'Living Fiction', would hopefully be more about her status as a semi-famous individual and how she deals with being thrust into a world where she was a frequent recurring character in a number of comic books, TV shows and movies.  People already knowing her name and secret identity, having formed positive or negative impressions on her based on some of those previous portrayals, that sort of thing.  I'm thinking she's probably treating it all like a big adventure, at the moment, so the 10xp Milestone might involve finally returning home or making the decision to stay and make a new life for herself in this brave new world she's been brought into...

wander

I think the two new girls look okay... I think for Tabitha she could stand perhaps having another Limit or maybe consolidate her sfxs on the second Power-Set, I kinda think usually having no more than one extra sfx compared to Limits is a good way to go. However, she's pretty fine.

I haven't looked over anyone's Milestones yet, so at some point I'll try and help with them. For people not in the know, there are limits to the amount of times you can hit a Milestone xp marker.

Quote1xp = You can hit these as much as you like. It's who your character is from the start.

3xp = Once per scene limit on this one. It's something that comes up often with the character, though isn't what is in the public's mind right away when thinking about that comic character. It is often used to represent some character development in a story arc.

10xp = Once... When you hit this, the Milestone is classed as completed and you will need to replace it. They usually have a difficult choice at the end and represent a personal character-based arc in a series.

A Milestone is basically an arc of your character in the story, aside from the mainplot, basically that character's subplots. So keep that in mind when making them. :)

Premier

I've bumped out Focus on her second powerset. If only because I didn't think of a silly name for it.

wander

I'll be digging out my old notepad and posting up my guy Kitt from the dead-tree copy I have of him. ^^

He's maybe a little weak for this game, he has one Power-Set and all d8s for Powers. However, he has a good set of powers that can be used imaginatively and every team needs a Hawkeye so the mooks can go for the weak one, ammirite?  ::)

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

wander

ReijiTabibito

And one robot.

...perhaps I should rethink this...just so I can know for assurance purposes, what characters do we have right now?

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Premier

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on January 05, 2016, 01:30:57 PM
And one robot.

...perhaps I should rethink this...just so I can know for assurance purposes, what characters do we have right now?

One Blaster. With the power of EXPLOSIONS.
One Paragon. Basically Superwoman.
One Scrapper. Bunny Queen Brawler.
One Powersuit. The Serious Militaryish one.
One Gadgeteer. Not a Mad Scientist. Honest.

wander

My guy is a 'warp bubble' guy; he has forcefields and can teleport, along with Invisibility via light refracting field. Also spatial awareness via Senses d8.

Using Ulquiorra from Bleach as a face-claim.

Crash

Quote from: Premier on January 05, 2016, 01:41:13 PM
One Blaster. With the power of EXPLOSIONS.
One Paragon. Basically Superwoman.
One Scrapper. Bunny Queen Brawler.
One Powersuit. The Serious Militaryish one.
One Gadgeteer. Not a Mad Scientist. Honest.

My plan is for a shapeshifter.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

ShadowFox89

Quote from: wander on January 05, 2016, 01:46:53 PM
My guy is a 'warp bubble' guy; he has forcefields and can teleport, along with Invisibility via light refracting field. Also spatial awareness via Senses d8.

Using Ulquiorra from Bleach as a face-claim.

So Mr.Invisible.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

wander

Add teleportation in and yeah, pretty much... A lil different from the Sue Storm datafile mind. I'll look to posting him up tomorrow after I find his sheet.

Kunoichi

Alright, I've edited my character sheet a bit.  Here are the only changes I've made to it:

QuoteMilestones:
Living Fiction
1 XP:
3 XP:
10 XP:

Silver Age Sensibilities
1 XP: You use an especially corny catchphrase or make a new and completely unnecessary name for an unorthodox use of your powers.
3 XP: You are stymied or confounded by some aspect of modern technology or culture.
10 XP: You have to choose between the principles you know are correct and what the modern world tells you is correct, and stand by your decision.

wander

Kunoichi

Guancyto's the one who really gets all the credit for it. All I did was figure out a good way to fit all three of his Milestone suggestions together into a single package. ^^;

Quote from: Premier on January 05, 2016, 12:13:01 PM
I've bumped out Focus on her second powerset. If only because I didn't think of a silly name for it.

As a quick question, is the Sorcery power in Doc Tabby's One Smart Kitty power set meant to represent her having actual skill in the mystic arts, or is it meant to be more like the old line about sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic?  If it's the latter, it might fit better if you take the Elemental Manipulation power instead, and pick something like Advanced Technology as the element for it.

Crash

Premier

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 05, 2016, 09:38:01 PM
Guancyto's the one who really gets all the credit for it. All I did was figure out a good way to fit all three of his Milestone suggestions together into a single package. ^^;

As a quick question, is the Sorcery power in Doc Tabby's One Smart Kitty power set meant to represent her having actual skill in the mystic arts, or is it meant to be more like the old line about sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic?  If it's the latter, it might fit better if you take the Elemental Manipulation power instead, and pick something like Advanced Technology as the element for it.

It's pretty much just me stealing Forge's intuitive tech building from his powersheet, which is the power Tabby has.

ReijiTabibito

I will note, in echo of Premier, that in another Marvel RPG (the Universe, which Kunoichi is familiar with), Forge's official datafile in that game also has him capable of using actual sorcery, like Docs Doom and Strange.

Kunoichi

True, but reading over his backstory, he seems to get that from having been trained as a Native American shaman, rather than it being a part of his mutant techno powers.  The mutant powers seem to mostly be covered by Mimic and Enhanced Senses.

That said, I don't think we have any mystically-based characters on the team yet, either, so having one of Doc Tabby's numerous falsified doctorates be in the magical arts and tacking on Mystic Master d10 as a specialty might also be a fun option.  In comic books, they do often tend to explain magic as just another science that we don't properly understand yet...

Premier

That is certainly an option! I suppose it wouldn't make sense for her to ignore magic like most scientists do since she isn't on a quest for knowledge exactly.

It'd also mean I can have Cat Girl Doctor Strange troubles. Which I am not opposed to.