News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Second Life?

Started by Synecdoche17, July 18, 2013, 01:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Synecdoche17

I'm literally a decade behind the curve on this, I know, but I recently picked it up and installed it. I'm working my way through the mechanics and stuff. Anybody have any advice? :)
A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Ons & Offs, Stories in Progress, and Story Ideas
Absences and Apologies

Formless

Stay . Away . From . The . Gambling . Machines. >_<

Seriously they will ruin it for you the way they did it to me. >_<

Other than that ... have fun.

Shjade

Quote from: Formless on July 18, 2013, 04:23:02 AM
Stay . Away . From . The . Gambling . Machines.

That's pretty much good advice for life in general.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Synecdoche17

Quote from: Formless on July 18, 2013, 04:23:02 AM
Stay . Away . From . The . Gambling . Machines. >_<

Seriously they will ruin it for you the way they did it to me. >_<

Other than that ... have fun.

*pounces* Aha, another player!

Is player the right word? It's not a game. "Lifer" just sounds horribly depressing, given its colloquial meaning.

The only gambling machines I've looked at are the ones in shops that give you free stuff if your name starts with a given letter. So far I've apparently got like 1,000 Linden's worth of shoes from them.

What should I look for if I'm buying a new shape for my avatar? Is there like a guide or something?
A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Absences and Apologies

Formless

http://gwynethllewelyn.net/2004/11/10/beginners-guide-to-second-life%C2%AE/

It's been ages since I've been there. And my first days were a lost memory.

However I hope this'll help you enjoy the experience.

lilhobbit37

Personally, I just got my pet to tell me what to do until I understood the basics. And when I want something new, I ask her, and she finds it for me.

And then clicks traffic cones for more linden to buy stuff.

But I became a subscriber because...duh...personal hobbit hole! (Yes they actually have a hobbit hole as one of the selections for homes)

Snowlily

its a great game, pretty much anything you can think of is on it...and I mean anything *snuggles Lilhobbit* and yepyep! I just helped her till she understood and she caught on quick! you just need someone to explain stuff and you won't have any problems
warcraft brat :)

Snowlily

if you need any help, <Snip> No contact information in public threads - Staff
warcraft brat :)

Synecdoche17

Quote from: Snowlily on July 18, 2013, 11:09:27 PM
if you need any help, add Serinaca to friends or just im her ( it me :D )
I will try to remember to do that when I return home tonight (been out of the apartment for a few days).

quick edit: How do I add you as a friend if I'm not able to click on you? (yes, NOOB)

Absences and Apologies

Plot Hooks

I haven't done SL in forever, but there was a time when I was very involved in it.  If Midian City's still around, I suggest you check it out.   
"Cut me down or let me run.  Either way it's all gonna burn." - Joe (The Protomen)

Ons/Offs       Ideas          A/A

Synecdoche17

Quote from: Plot Hooks on July 27, 2013, 11:32:07 PM
I haven't done SL in forever, but there was a time when I was very involved in it.  If Midian City's still around, I suggest you check it out.

A quick Google search seems to indicate that they are. Thanks for the tip.  :-)

Absences and Apologies

willversuch

Second Life can be a lot of fun... and really addictive.

At first, I was really drawn to the concept of roleplaying there.  I mean, how much better is it when you can actually see the things that people would normally just be describing to you?

Over time, though, the whole thing felt a little clunky.  While the variety that you can find there is incredible, the very variety of it all can lead to problems.  It seemed like I was spending more time adjusting things in inventory and figuring out how to use things than actually playing and having fun.

That said, I met a bunch of great people there, some of whom I've gotten to know outside the confines of SL.  Just like any place where you can be more open with yourself and your desires, you get the opportunity to make some close friends in ways that are more difficult in the real world.

It's a great place.  <Snip> No contact information in public threads - Staff
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My current roleplays...

Just trying to eek out a living... https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=188485.0

Mother Always Gets Her Way... https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=188666.0

Polymorph

Used to spend a lot of time in second life. Eventually drifting to the Gor sims and spent most of my time there. As long as you can avoid getting sucked into the drama and petty squabbles it can be fun.

Synecdoche17

Quote from: willversuch on August 03, 2013, 02:22:44 PM
Second Life can be a lot of fun... and really addictive.

At first, I was really drawn to the concept of roleplaying there.  I mean, how much better is it when you can actually see the things that people would normally just be describing to you?

Over time, though, the whole thing felt a little clunky.  While the variety that you can find there is incredible, the very variety of it all can lead to problems.  It seemed like I was spending more time adjusting things in inventory and figuring out how to use things than actually playing and having fun.

Yes, sometimes the interface ends up throwing me askew. It's ruined a few moments already. :P

Quote from: PolymorphEventually drifting to the Gor sims and spent most of my time there. As long as you can avoid getting sucked into the drama and petty squabbles it can be fun.
Even before we get into the...rest of the setting, Gor seems like it's tailor-made especially for drama and petty squabbles, what with the incredibly nitpicky rules and stuff. I got a notecard from a "learn to play in Gor" thing - about five hundred words on how to serve wine. Whaaaat?

Absences and Apologies

kylie

I would hope (and expect) not all of the gor sims are all so extreme, but some people can be pretty religious about "sticking to the books," or some other particulars of style yes. 

For some people, wine is sort of the Gor equivalent of (for lack of a better reference, Japanese??) tea ceremony and that's just the detail that makes the world real for them.

I think you can find quite a few hunt sims with gorean style, if not subscribing to be Gorean, and other cross-genre/free rp sims...  There isn't so much concern for what makes a strictly "authentic" gorean there.   

Spermonator

I joined SL today, but pretty mcuh I don't know nothing about it so I'm a totall newbie.I still don';t know how to get Linden money to buy stuff.Is anyone knows how to get some?

kylie

If you log into the website, on the left side there is a menu.  Click "Account," and it will expand into a subset of choices.  Then pick "Billing Information," and  you can enter credit cards or Paypal where you want to be billed for $L (the in-game currency).  Actually, have a link there even.

One piece of advice about SL:  There is a really wide range of styles you could make in there -- from the garish or fuzzy impression, to the almost photo realistic to artsy to super toonish...  And different people have different ideas about what looks good.  The look of things like clothing and hair also really depends a lot on an avatar's shape and skin.   

Before you actually put a lot of cash into the game (or to save some anyway)...  I'd also recommend you check out the Second Life Marketplace site.  It takes some patience to find the good stuff, but if you don't want to throw down a lot of money right away, it's a website to operate rather than teleporting your avatar all around SL and hunting through huge, sometimes crowded spaces in 3-D.  Here you flip through the catalog pages, put a few things you like in a shopping cart (only holds up to 10 listed items at a time), "check out" and in a minute or few (usually), stuff is added to your avatar in the game world.  Spend a good deal of time thumbing through the pages of freebies, or search for things you can buy cheap.  You can set the price ranges you want on the left side of the page .  (When you set them toward 0, check that what you're looking at is a standard item and not a "Demo" one for each listing.  Unless you do mean to try on a demo, which is a good idea with things like hair, shapes, skins, or mesh clothing.  There will also be some listings for $0L which are really just ads for people renting virtual land etc.  But there will be a lot a lot of demos, so just keep flipping on into other pages.)

You can also try the in-world Search function (the magnifying glass icon from the Toolbars section) and teleport around looking at places.  Some stores will advertise that they have gifts for new players, newbies, under 30 days old, etc.  so it can pay to run around sooner rather than later.  Many stores also have one or a few permanent free gifts in the SL store to reward people for visiting.  And some have Midnight Mania (MM), blue boards that will have a couple numbers in the form X/some target number.  When enough people visit and click to reach the target that day, all of those people get a copy of that item around midnight (or slightly later, allowing for some lag).  There are also lucky chairs -- if you see a seat in any shopping area with just a letter over it, see if that's the first letter of your original character name and if it is, sit there quick.  The range of gifts stores give out is mind-boggling (many basic, some quite lovely) but those are some other ways that new players can build an inventory and see more of what they might eventually want (or not want), without spending much.

Florence

Quote from: Synecdoche17 on July 18, 2013, 03:36:23 PM
*pounces* Aha, another player!

Is player the right word? It's not a game. "Lifer" just sounds horribly depressing, given its colloquial meaning.

The only gambling machines I've looked at are the ones in shops that give you free stuff if your name starts with a given letter. So far I've apparently got like 1,000 Linden's worth of shoes from them.

What should I look for if I'm buying a new shape for my avatar? Is there like a guide or something?

Resident tends to be the term, but... really... anything works. xD

As for advice on what to do...

Well, I admit my activity dwindled a bit since the rp sim I was managing went over...

If Final Fantasy RP is your thing, there are places to go, just be aware they can be absolutely infested with drama; not to mention furries. Nothing against furries, but there are a A LOT of them in the FFRP circles, and its basically impossible to run an FFRP sim without allowing furry characters in, so if you're looking for a sort of authentic experience they're probably not going to really deliver on that. I've too much of a drama history with that community to enjoy it anymore, but if you think you can deal with the furry characters, or... hell, if that's your thing, then those kind of sims could be great for you.

Other than that... there is, or was Mystara last time I checked. I can't promise its still there, but if it is its a pretty nice fantasy rp sim. There's also a ton of modern dark fantasy rps, and while I'm sure some of them are good, they all sort of blur together to me xD

Naruto rps used to be big, but I don't really think there's too of them around anymore. There might be some Star Wars rps, but the ones I went to were a tad disorganized.

Its also worth noting that a lot of the rp sims I've been too don't allow the level of adult content you'll find on this site.

Most of the places that do... I dunno... weird me out xD I can't really go to Gor sims, the people there seem to take it so seriously. I feel like you get two main breeds of 'adult' communities in SL. You get the really trashy kind with people who, frankly, aren't that good at rp and just want to cyber... which, hey, if that's your thing, cool, but it's not really mine. On the opposite end, you get people who can rp well enough, but take the whole fantasy waaaaaaaaaay too seriously, and have a way of creeping out new people.

All in all, there's a lot to do in SL, and I would hardly discourage anyone from trying it out. I met some of the best friends I've ever had on SL, and some really great people. Just a heads up that its kind of a minefield of weirdness, crazy people and drama. But if you can navigate it and find something you really like to do in a community you really like, you'll have the best time in the world.

Also, get a third party viewer. I've always used Firestorm/Phoenix, the standard SL viewer is just... meh.

http://www.firestormviewer.org/

Edit: Just realized how old this thread is... ah well, advice for anyone else interested in checking it out xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Forge

QuoteAll in all, there's a lot to do in SL, and I would hardly discourage anyone from trying it out. I met some of the best friends I've ever had on SL, and some really great people. Just a heads up that its kind of a minefield of weirdness, crazy people and drama. But if you can navigate it and find something you really like to do in a community you really like, you'll have the best time in the world.

Also, get a third party viewer. I've always used Firestorm/Phoenix, the standard SL viewer is just... meh.

I play SL and that sums it up perfectly.

I was away from SL for about 3 months a while back and was amazed how much things had changed in the short amount of time. 
This could get messy.

Jayna

If someone still plays hit me up! :)

Plot Hooks

I log on a few times a month to steal a kidney or two.  There's an Elloquiy group, but I never see anyone on in it...
"Cut me down or let me run.  Either way it's all gonna burn." - Joe (The Protomen)

Ons/Offs       Ideas          A/A

Mnemaxa

I use it strictly to build portraits for tabletop games.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.