[Pathfinder System/Homebrew World] Open World Game (Some Steampunk)

Started by ManyMindsManyVoices, January 23, 2011, 12:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I started to work on this before, but I realize not that I don't really have the inclination or time to learn about Golarion by any means other than actually playing in it. So if I'm going to run a game it will have to be in a homebrew world, but I do those rather often. Anyway, the idea for this game is a large group game (if possible) that doesn't really require GMing."

"Instead of being about adventurers, it's about exceptional people living out their day to day lives in a fantasy setting, using the Pathfinder rules. I will be getting people I trust to help me run the game (monsters and the like), and it will start with the bare minimum of plot. While its small, the players will have to work together to build characters who have some reason to interact. I will be building major NPCs and other characters, and some players can build more than one character (however, I am going to be picky about that, I want to trust the players and know that they will post often first)."

"An important note, as I would with a normal DnD game, I am going to have a decent amount of control to keep the game moving. Nothing ridiculous, but I will require people post to the OOC when they think they will be missing for a while, so I can shuffle them off. If someone does not post for a long time (especially if people are waiting for their post), I will take over or push their character out of the spotlight to keep the game going. I will give people the benefit of the doubt, however, and work with them."

"Anyway, the world will be built by me and supplemented by the players, so if you join, be ready to help build not only a character, but pieces of the world. It will be a local game, no major extraplanar stuff, and generally taking place in a single city/kingdom, so as to keep the characters close to one another. The idea is that the world is built to suit the game, not the other way around."

"The game will currently be run by myself, and possibly Pyrkinas to an extent, and as the game goes on, I will get more GMs and such. However, so long as everyone agrees not to cheat and follow my guidelines, GMs will mostly just run monsters when a plotline calls for it and make sure that certain activities are mediated."

"Another important note, not everyone will be the same level, and the game will be point buy, wherein the point buy is between 15-25. I want people to come to the table willing to build characters who aren't as skilled or impressive (shopkeepers, bartenders, damsels in distress). Most 'adventurer types' will be 22 point buy, and the rest of the characters (normal folk, tradesman, and people with more adventurous lifestyles, but not quite adventurers) will be mostly 15 or 18 point buy, with a handful of 25 (probably mostly played by the GMs)."

"I'd ask that people put their characters on PlotHooks, and I will be using the Pathfinder SRD. Every character must go through me, and I am going to be very meticulous about organization."

"All that aside, once people start playing, you'll see I'm not really strict, just very organized and careful to put out everything I can to make sure everyone knows what to expect from my game."

"This thread is essentially an interest check, and then it will be used as a place to discuss the world. I will post another thread in this forum once the world is close to 'Beta' point, where we can start actually playing (hopefully within a week or two if the interest is high), and then we'll do a Character Sheet thread, an OOC thread, and a World thread (the latter discussing the city, the world, and the house rules that may or may not be in play)."

"Right now, as it stands, anything 3PP on the SRD is off limits, but Paizo created materials are all acceptable, so long as they are discussed with me if they go outside the normal character creation stuff. I am going to create a world with a little steampunk (as I have been getting into urban fantasy), so technology will be included, as well as firearms (which will be exotic weaponry or magic items, and will be balanced to the best of my ability). The gods will be of my own creation, and as I said, the world will exist be built around the game. So, since I am avoiding extraplanar stuff, the other planes will be different from normal DnD, Pathfinder, or 4E DnD, and very difficult to access."

"Okay, this is a lot of info to throw out, so I'll cap it here and see what I get first."

EDIT: "The character creation guidelines, so far, are below."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Pyrkinas

ManyMindsManyVoices

Okay, here are the character creation rules in full, which is still subject to edit in the future depending on the desires of the players and possibly my own whims.

Building Characters
Characters in this world are not all equal, and this isn’t a game of conflict and battle or passion and sex (though those themes are acceptable, simply not the game's focus). It’s a game about the lives of characters in a fantasy world, each exceptional in their own way.

Character Creation will begin on this page, using the rules there and the ones following:

Character Concept
Your character concept will go through me, and we will determine what point-buy you’ll get, what starting gold, if you get traits, and if you can use a special race. Also, not everyone will start at the same level, I want diversity.

Third Party Materials
Generally, anything made by Paizo will be okay, but check with me on anything from Paizo peripherals. Otherwise, no Third Party stuff until you run it by me completely, and I really don’t want to use fan-made stuff. I will possibly allow feats (and MAYBE spells) from the 3.5 Player’s Handbook 2 and the Complete books, if it can fit into the existing Paizo rules and fits your character concept well.

Character Sheets
I prefer to use PlotHooks for your character sheets, and remember to make your character public. Also, please keep these organized, so try to think ahead of time, like when you’re doing spells known, leave space for spells you’ll learn in the future so that they can be arranged by level.

Point Buy Rules
Most characters are ‘adventurer types’, unique individuals from the norm, and gain 22 points in point-buy. Some are particularly exceptional, however, and get a 25-point-buy. The rest of the characters will be less adventurous (barkeepers, tradesmen,  and such) generally with a 15-point-buy, or people that fit in a bit of a limbo (nobles, thieves, guards) with 18-point-buy.

Race
You can pick any of the standard races, and maybe the third party races (as per the above rules about 3PP). Races from the Bestiary may be used, if you go through me, but you may have to tradeoff traits or point-buy for it.

(Note on Languages: The listed Languages under Linguistics all work, though the extraplanar ones will be rarer and may be used differently. Also, add Eldritch (the language of magic), Thieves’ Cant (a secret language which includes signals and special words to hide meaning), and Sign Language (which is a rare language and has special rules regarding it, and cannot be chosen as a base language unless your character is deaf). Also, it takes 2 ranks in Linguistics to learn a new language.)

Classes
Alignment restrictions are generally guidelines, especially if you have a good character concept. Try to follow them, but if you can explain it well, go ahead and break them. Alignment is subjective anyway, and I may change your character alignment to fit my outlook (just because it matters to Detect spells and such).

Prestige classes are fine, though those alignment restrictions should be adhered to unless you ask me specifically (except for Assassins, they can be treated like other classes for alignment restriction, but you’ll have to do a good job of convincing me how you’re a Good aligned Assassin).

For non-adventurers, NPC classes may be taken, and I may design modifications based on concept. A character can also take a 10-level modified Aristocrat, Commoner, or Expert class which grants double progression in Skill points and ranks per level (and may gain a few class features to allow specialization in a skill or set of skills).

For example, a blacksmith who has been crafting his entire life may use a 10-level Expert class and get bonuses to Craft skills, representing the fact that an adventurer has no reason (even at high levels) to be as skilled a craftsman as a professional master blacksmith. On top of that, an enchanter may be granted the ability to enchant magic items without actual spell-casting ability.

(In-Game Note: Don’t refer to characters by their class unless that’s how you’d reasonably refer to them. A fighter isn’t a fighter’s job, he may be a fighter, or a guard/militiaman, or a knight. When you build your character, consider what they would seem like to the rest of the world. Class doesn’t define fluff, it’s supplemental rules to help you build a character.)

Feats
Read the Third Party material section.

Hit Points
Starting hit points are max. Each level thereafter, adventurer types (or guards, or thieves, people who would reasonably see combat or dangerous situations) will roll and take the roll or half max whichever is higher. Anyone who would not see combat often will get half max hit points.

Starting Gold
You may get more (or even less) gold based on level. A noble or merchant might get more (this might by a multiplier (1.5x or 2x, POSSIBLY 3x), or just a be treated as a few levels higher. This may be a trade-off to traits or point-buy, depending on concept.

Traits
Normal 22-point-buy characters should get 2 traits, once again, refer to the Third Party material section of this. These may be traded away for a non-standard race or better starting gold.

(Character Example: An Undine Barbarian/Monk 22-point buy character, trades off traits for the ability to take a non-standard Race. Reflavoring turns Rage into a channeled focus that drains a character's resolve afterward. This character takes a level in Wizard and gains the Practiced Spellcaster feat (from Complete Arcane), which increases her caster level for her Wizard spells by 4 (as long as her caster level doesn't exceed her total level).)

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Alright, here's another little update to show notable technology in the world:"

Technology
Guns: All guns are exotic weapons, and are alchemically created. They are somewhat hard to come-by, and there are laws regulating them. Guns are harder to enchant (and can only get a +6 total enchantment), but can gain modifications. In most cases, someone can exchange crossbows for guns when referring to Class Features; in this case, the character does not gain the benefits to crossbows.

(OOC Note: For those of you in that camp of how deadly guns are, remember that a crossbow can kill a person in real life as well, and all things considered, translating real people in DnD, we’re all low-level characters who probably have 10-20 hit points at most. So guns, particularly the low-tech sort, aren’t terribly more powerful weapons than any other, especially in the hands of a skilled warrior.)

One-Handed Guns
Light Pistol (200gp) – 1d8 damage, Range 50ft., x3 Critical, Piercing damage (Weight: 3lb.)
--Requires a Move Action to Reload, Light Pistol Bullets (5) for 5gp, counts as a Light Weapon

Heavy Pistol (300gp) – 1d10 damage, Range 60ft., x3 Critical, Piercing damage (Weight: 5lb.)
--Requires a Move Action to Reload, Heavy Pistol Bullets (5) for 10gp

Two-Handed Guns
Rifle (500gp) – 2d6 damage, Range 140ft., x3 Critical, Piercing damage (Weight: 12lb.)
--Requires a Move Action to Reload, Rifle Bullet (5) for 20gp

All guns make a notable amount of noise when fired, and will force the wielder to make a Stealth check at -30 to remain hidden while firing (including the Stealth penalty already incurred). This sound is also likely to be heard clearly (with a Perception DC modifier of -12) by people nearby.

Rapid Reload: Causes all guns to reload as a Swift Action.

Gun Modifications
Gun Modifications are supplements to the fact that guns cannot be fully enchanted. However, guns are powerful weapons in their own right, and modifications are cheaper and require only a skilled craftsman, not a magic user. A gun modification only works for the type of gun it was created for, so if a silencer is found on a rifle, it cannot be attached to a heavy pistol.

All Gun Modifications are semi-permanent, and take a few hours to attach or detach as well as having a Craft (Firearms) DC (though the crafter can Take 20 under most circumstances, Take 10 when rushed, and must only roll if required to modify a gun during a stressful situation (which still takes at least 5-10 minutes or up to an hour)).

When using a modification that increases the number of shots, the user may fire the shots multiple times as part of a full-round action (through Rapid Shot or high Base Attack Bonus) as long as there are sufficient bullets loaded. If the user fires this way when not enough bullets are available, they will fire until there are no bullets left in the clip/cylinder/magazine, at which point, the action ends.

Accurizing Modifications – Iron sights, grip improvements, stock improvements, and specially designed parts reduce recoil and improve grip to increase accuracy, granting a +1 or +2 bonus to attack rolls with the gun, this modification is permanent (Cost: +2,500gp for a +1 bonus, +5,000gp for a +2 bonus; Craft DC 25 for +1, DC 35 for +2)

Master-crafted Barrel – Barrel Modification, this modification is permanent, the barrel is crafted with skill (and usually some magical alterations) and lengthened to make shots more precise, which gives the gun a 19-20 critical range (Cost: +4,000gp; Craft DC 30 to attach)

Pistol Clip – Light Pistol only, the gun holds a number of shots that can be fired before needing to be reloaded, reloading a clip is a Standard Action (Move with Rapid Reload), the gun can still be reloaded normally, and reloading a full clip with individual bullets takes longer than a Full-Round Action (Cost: 8-shot Clip, +1,000gp; 10-shot Clip, +1,250gp; Craft DC 25 to attach; an 8-shot Clip costs 40gp, and a 10-shot Clip costs 50gp)

Revolver Cylinder – Heavy Pistol only, the gun holds a number of shots that can be fired before needing to be reloaded, reloading a cylinder is a Full-Round action (Standard with Rapid Reload) (Cost: 5-shot Cylinder, +1,000gp; 6-shot Cylinder, +1,200gp; Craft DC 25 to attach; once cylinder is attached, Moon Clips can be bought to reduce the reload time to a Move Action (Swift with Rapid Reload), a 5-shot Moon clip costs 50gp, and a 6-shot Moon clip costs 60gp)

Rifle Magazine – Rifle Only, the gun holds a number of shots that can be fired before needing to be reloaded, reloading a magazine is a Standard Action (Move with Rapid Reload), the gun can still be reloaded normally, and reloading a full Rifle Magazine with individual bullets takes longer than a Full-Round Action for a 5-Shot Magazine (Cost: 3-shot Magazine, +800gp; 5-shot Magazine, +1,250gp; a 3-shot Magazine costs 30gp, and a 5-shot Magazine costs 50gp; Craft DC 25 to attach)

Scope – Rifle only, as long as a character has a chance to line up a shot (make a single shot as a full-round action), the character has only a -1 penalty per range increment (Cost: +250gp; Craft DC 15 to attach)

Silencer – Barrel Modification (magical), the gun reduces the penalty while Sniping to -10 or -5 (Cost: +1,200gp for a -10 penalty, +2,000gp for a -5 penalty; Craft DC 20 to attach)

sleepingferret

Couple questions and possible interest... as I have a few possible character concepts in mind.

First in regards to your posted firearms; What exactly aside from the amount of ammunition it could hold would be the advantage of having a Light Pistol with a clip modification?  Because if I read everything correctly, your rules state that reloading a Light Pistol (with a clip modification is a Full Round action or a Move Action if I have the Rapid Reload feat).  So aside from having a possible 10 shots (20 if I decided to go John Woo style and dual wield Light Pistols) before having to reload, I don't see an advantage of spending the money for having such a modification.  When I could just use a pair of normal Light Pistols and at most say take a Move Action to reload both but still get my two shots off every single round.  Do I loose out on additional attacks I could make yes, but I'm still have my two every round unless I decide to move to reposition myself.

Shouldn't it be more like a Move Action to reload a firearm with a clip modification and back down to a Swift Action if you have the Rapid Reload feat?  Thus the worst a skilled gunman could do in a single round is fire and empty his weapons , reload them both (making two Swift Actions the equivalent of a Move Action; although technically you are only allowed to take a single Swift Action per round..but action types define time usage as well as what a person is actually doing) OR reload both of his empty weapons while diving for cover (aka moving) OR reload both of his empty weapons at the start of his turn and then use his Standard Action to make a single attack (or if allowed by you and the person has it; a person with the Dual Strike feat from the Complete Adventurer could fire both weapons at the same time).

I mean noticed you allowed the use the Rapid Reload feat (with special "Moon Clips) for revolver modifications made to Heavy Pistols, but then that just comes back to what's really the point of not having a Heavy Pistol?

And while I also realize you're world "regulates" firearms and they may be "hard to come by", but with things being presented up front I'm thinking at least one or two people are going to have to end up with them (either to start with or the party will end up with access to them somehow whether exactly legally or not, within relative short order).  And no they may not be the "Holy Avenger" that saves the world, but hey...not everyone can wield Excalibur either.  So to each his own, "I'll take out the trash my way Mister Paladin, you do it yours."

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Okay, first of all, you explained why one would use a clip (getting the full use of base-attack-bonus attacks), though I can see your point, I didn't consider the balance between Moon Clips and Light Pistol Clips. In turn, I will change the standard Clip from a Full-Round/Standard to a Standard/Move (with a possible quick-load modification). One might desire a Heavy Pistol/Light Pistol combo, and Pyrkinas is building a character who uses a Heavy Pistol with an empty off-hand. I balanced these against Hand Crossbows and Repeating Crossbows, and I think you'll find that the guns are generally better weapons in comparison."

"I will take a second look, but I doubt I will make any major changes except to change the Rifle and Light Pistol over to Standard Action to Move Action reload."

"Also, there is no party... That's the idea behind the game, and the term 'Open World'. The militia has free access to firearms, but it might be harder to come by otherwise. I'll work it out as the game is built and people decide what characters they wish to build."

Meliai

I'm interested, particularly in playing a less adventurously-inclined character, though I'm having a little trouble thinking of a class that would fit the concept I have in mind. I'll send you a PM in a few minutes.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Meliai pointed out I mentioned (before modifying posts) characters that were 'non-adventurers' could use NPC classes (possibly modified, such as to allow higher ranks in specialized skills and the ability to craft magic items without being a spellcaster, given that non-adventurers who have dedicated themselves to single craft should reasonably be better at that skill/craft). I'll add that into the guidelines, possibly in a few moments, but I wanted this post here to denote that as a possibility."

EDIT: "A thought came to mind, is that I may encourage 10-level Max special NPC class builds for the 'exceptional' experts, adepts, and aristocrats which allow for a great deal of progression per level (but hit die, BAB, and such remain low). These may be designed based on the desires of an individual most of the time, and they will be specifically designed for characters who do not intend to build adventurer types. The NPC classes as they are will still remain available, however."

POST EDIT: "The Building Characters Post has been updated with the relevant information."

sleepingferret

Hmmm....I have a few things to do this afternoon/evening, but I'll send you a PM with a few character concepts I have mind tonight.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I'm starting to develop the world pretty thoroughly, so I will give a slight synopsis here and eventually build on it. An important thing, once an overall world is created, the player should feel free to make up other cities and places within the main city (as long as they inform me, in case it conflicts with something) as part of their own backstory."

"The idea of the game is that it takes place in a large Metropolis (for a medieval fantasy setting), that is highly advanced both magically and technologically (compared to the rest of the world). The militia has common access to guns, and there is a 'monorail' (working idea) in the city. The entire city is a Monarchy, but the people know that the guilds really run everything. The guilds collect taxes from anyone working with them (and not working with them is a bad idea), and must give a portion of those taxes to the King. The King does very little, but is the technical head of the military, so the guilds are unwilling to overthrow him (but the guild leaders wish to form an oligarchy with the guild leaders functioning as a Parliament or Council)."

"There's a lot of conflict in the city, politically between the guilds, as well as the guilds and the nobility and royalty; not to mention the philosophical conflict between the religious sects (using Gods I am working on right now), the mages, and the 'artificers' and other technological crafters. The mages are particularly irritated to see the uprising of technology, and items that make magic (or magic-like power) accessible to the common man."

"I'd like to make note, as I said originally, that I will post another thread in the forum when the idea is solidified, so anyone who gets in now is getting a chance to throw questions and ideas at me while I'm still in development. Also, Gods are my next step, and as you'll see when I design them, I tried to break the mold with some of them."

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Fixed the links in the Character Building section, as well as changing my preferred character sheet site over to PlotHooks."

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Information on the limited and generally inaccessible planes. I will be posting Deific information soon, then finally, the real setting info."

The Planes

The Planes, outside of the Material Plane, are closed off areas, generally accessible only by natives of a given plane. There are only a few planes, but they are divided up into domains, continents, countries, or whatever the denizens of the planes would like to call the various sections.

Celestia – Celestia is the heavenly realm of Good, home of the Archons, Agathions, and Azata, and realm of the Angels. Its individual areas are known as Domains, and are generally run by gods, while the area in between is usually maintained by the Angelic Host, servants of all Good. Celestial beings are usually capable of flight or teleportation, as Celestia is light and airy, and only within Domains is there any actual land.

Thanatos – Thanatos is the opposition of Celestia, the dark, deadly realm of the Daemons, and home to Devils and Demons. Apocalypse rules over Thanatos, from his home in the realm of Gehenna. Across the barren wastes of Thanatos, the Blood War is fought, between the Devils of Mephistopheles’s Hell and the Demons of Lilith’s Abyss. Occasionally, the Daemons (along with their leaders, Apocalypse’s Four Horsemen) reign in the battles, or simply add to the slaughter.

Eldritch – A strange realm that is said to be the core of all the planes, and the origin of Arcane magic. Eldritch is a strange place, seeming to be a true ‘world’, but chaotic in nature. There are many continents (some say they continue to span and manifest in an cycle of creation and destruction that goes on forever), and on them walk the Fey, the creatures of Shadow, the Astral and Ethereal entities, and many other creatures. At its center is Purgatory, the Realm of Twilight, and home of the Petitioners, those who have died and are waiting for their final judgment.

Khimia – Khimia is the elemental plane, and the realm of the genies. The realm is ruled by Iblis, God of the Genies and the Elements, and is a plane of constant movement. Fire, water, earth, wind, lightning, ice, and other elements and mixed elements blend, bound, and shift throughout the entire plane.

Leng – Leng is a strange plane that cannot be pinned down and is ruled by a deific creature known as ‘The Eye’. While Eldritch is chaotic and vast, it can be understood. Leng, however, is home to Aberrations, alien creatures whose intentions cannot be truly understood. Not all Aberrations come from Leng, and some of the creatures from Leng are slightly less alien, but that only makes the plane even more confusing.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"WOO! Gods!"

The Gods
Gods are beings beyond the mortal ken, which come from the other planes and have great power. While many types of creatures may be deities, they all hold things in common, such as the ability to grant divine power and their dominion over certain domains. The gods hold one another in check, and their direct influence is rarely seen on the Material Plane.

If a God’s listed domains include one or two subdomains, that means that worshippers of this deity can only use the subdomains listed. If no subdomains are listed, then all subdomains can be used.

(Note: Domains are not set in stone, the gods of this world are pretty aloof about what happens on the Material Plane. With good justification, one might be able to find other domains that fit a deity or concept, and may be able to stray an extra step away from that god’s alignment even if they are a divine magic user.)

Bellona (Lawful Good) – Bellona is the Goddess of Battle, Honor, Glory, and Protection. Bellona is a warrior, ever vigilant, believing that the purpose of the strong is to protect the good, and fight against evil. Bellona is the creator of the Archons, and a powerful figure in Celestia. Bellona encourages honorable principles, such as never striking a helpless opponent and never resorting to torture. Bellona’s favored weapon is the Halberd, and her domains include Glory (Honor), Good (Archons), Healing, Law (Archon), Protection, and Strength (Resolve).

Dvallin (Lawful Good) – Dvallin is the God of the Dwarves, Giants, and the Forge. Dvallin is a creator, and forged the giants before other intelligent creatures (possibly before any creature) walked the Material Plane. He used elemental energy to empower them, but found he had no control over them, and most strayed from his path. So he created the dwarves, crafters after his own heart, and hid them in the mountains, where they would be safe from the giants.  Dvallin’s favored weapon is the Warhammer, and his domains include Artifice, Community, Earth, Protection (Defense), Repose (Ancestors) and Strength (Resolve).

Animus (Neutral Good) – Animus is the God of Knowledge and Ancestry. While his general stance is neutrality, he believes in selflessly teaching others. Animus believes that the knowledge of all beings does not fade, and passes through families. He encourages the sharing of knowledge, teachings, and stories, and loves philosophical musings. Animus’s favored weapon is the Longsword, and his domains include Community (Family), Knowledge, Magic, Repose (Ancestors), and Rune.

Laventi (Neutral Good) – Laventi is the Goddess of Love and Martyrdom. Laventi believes that giving of oneself out of love and empathy is the greatest good any person can do. She encourages her worshippers to give anything they have to others, and be willing to die for the greater good. She is not a fool, however, and does understand the need for one to take care of oneself, but insists that it be done with as little harm to those around, as possible. Most of Laventi’s worshippers are healers and do not eat met. Laventi’s favored weapon is the Whip (though she is a pacifist), and her domains include Charm (Love), Community (Family), Good (Agathion), Healing, Nobility (Martyr), and Protection (Purity).

Alberich (Chaotic Good) – Alberich is the God of the Azata, the Elves, and Nature. Alberich is known as the sylvan god, ruling over the forests and the wilds, and created the Azata and creatures like Dryads to protect those places. Alberich is said to be the brother, or lover, or both, of Aluna. Alberich is also said to be closely connected to weather and the wind. Alberich’s favored weapon is the Longbow, and his domains include Air (Wind), Animal, Chaos (Azata), Good (Agathion, Azata), Healing (Restoration), Plant (Growth), and Weather.

Tyche (Chaotic Good) – Tyche the Goddess of Bravery, Liberation, Luck, and Halflings. Tyche is the mother of Halflings, and the Goddess of Luck. She encourages the idea of making ones own luck by taking risks, and created the Halflings with a similar spirit. Tyche’s favored weapon is the Sling, and her domains include Community, Glory (Heroism), Good (Agathion, Azata), Liberation, Luck, and Travel (Exploration).

Mechanus (Lawful Neutral) – Mechanus is the God of Law, Order, Machines, and the Inevitables. Mechanus is a unwavering deity that believes that the law is a bond that cannot be broken. Mechanus created the Axiomites, and constructed the Inevitables. Mechanus also encourages innovation and the advancement of mechanics among mortals, which gives him a contentious relationship with many mages and priests, who believe the advancement of mechanics to be dangerous. Mechanus’s favored weapon is the Crossbow (any), and his domains include Artifice (Construct), Law (Inevitable), Rune, and War (Tactics).

Mercari (Lawful Neutral) – Mercari is the God of Trade, Merchants, Money, and the Mercane. Mercari hails from Eldritch, though it is rumored (particularly due to the visage of the Mercane) that he was once a genie, or connected to Iblis. Mercari does get along rather well with Iblis, and many genies do worship Mercari and become merchants. Mercari also created the oni (many of who revolted) as bodyguards of the Mercane; and later created the Witchwyrds, to have merchant creatures better capable of protecting themselves. Mercari’s favored weapon is the Falchion, and his domains include Artifice (Construct), Magic (Arcane), Nobility (Leadership), Travel (Trade).

Morgiana (Lawful Neutral) – Morgiana is the Goddess of Thieves. Morgiana holds true to the idea of honor among thieves, and believes that thieves are simply another creed among many. She believes that all thieves are part of a brotherhood, who must watch out for one another  to ensure their continued freedoms. She believes thieves should also be controlled, as greed can not only be harmful to the victims, but to the thief as well. Morgiana’s favored weapon is the Short Sword, and her domains include Community, Glory (Honor), Liberation (Freedom),
Nobility (Leadership), and Trickery.

Drakhirm (True Neutral) – Drakhirm is the God of Dragons and the various Draconic creatures. Drakhirm is not concerned with the various desires of the dragons and creatures he creates. His only goal seems to create more Dragons and draconic beasts, and encourages his children to procreate  in the same way. While the number of true Dragons is low, draconic beasts, half-dragons, and dragon-blooded humanoids are not uncommon by any means. Drakhirm lives in Khimia, which is the reason for the elemental energy within Dragons. Drakhirm’s favored weapon is a Dragon or Draconic creature’s Natural Weapons, and his domains include Destruction, MagicScalykind, and Strength.

Iblis (True Neutral) – Iblis is the God of Genies and the Elements, as well as the Plane of Khimia. Iblis is a strange deity, with four faces (Djinni, Efreeti, Marid, and Shaitan), and a temperament that changes very quickly. He is very powerful, capable of manipulating the elements. Iblis is said to be concerned with status (though not for the sake of law), and the nobles amongst each form of genie is granted special powers by Iblis for this (the most powerful being the Djinns’ famed three wishes, of which noble Shaitans are also capable). Iblis’s favored weapon is the Scimitar, and his domains include Air, Earth, Fire,
Magic (Arcane), Nobility (Leadership), and Water.

Twilight (True Neutral) – Twilight is the God of Death, Shadows, and the Undead. Hailing from the shadowy regions of Eldritch, in the realm of Purgatory; Twilight watches over ‘Petitioners’, souls of the dead awaiting final judgment. Twilight is also the God of the Undead, seeing them as merely a state between life and final death, at most. He argues that it is merely the mortal preoccupation with death as some evil or malevolent force that causes undead to be often twisted to evil deeds. Twilight’s favored weapon is the Kukri, and his domains include  Darkness, Death, Healing (Resurrection), Knowledge (Memory), and Repose.

Aluna (Chaotic Neutral) – Aluna is the Goddess of the Moon, Madness, Lycanthropes, and Beasts. Aluna is a feral goddess, and it is said that the phases of the moon can drive people mad, the way Aluna wishes. It is said she may be the sister, or lover, or both, to Alberich. Aluna’s favored weapon would be Claws or other Natural Weapons, and her domains include Animal (Fur), Chaos (Azata), Destruction (Rage), Luck (Curse), and Madness (Insanity).

Enigma (Chaotic Neutral) – Enigma is the God of the Proteans. Little is known about Enigma itself, but it stands that anything the Proteans desire, so too does Enigma. Enigma’s favored weapon is the Terbutje, and his domains include Chaos (Protean), Darkness (Loss), Knowledge (Thought)
, and Madness (Insanity).

Typhoon (Chaotic Neutral) – Typhoon is the Goddess of the Ocean and Storms. She is a mercurial and violent deity, but not destructive (at least not purposefully). She is generally worshipped by aquatic races, and sometimes barbarians and druids that live near the Ocean. Typhoon’s favored weapon is the Earthbreaker, and her domains include Liberation (Freedom), Strength, Water (Ocean), and Weather (Storms).

Mephistopheles (Lawful Evil) – Mephistopheles is the God of Devils, Hell, Tyranny, and Corruption. Mephistopheles was once a great angel that fell from grace. He has become obsessed with deals and contracts, even working with Mechanus to ensure his contracts are truly binding. He wishes to claim as many souls as possible, and is willing to offer great power to those that desire it, in return for their souls, and usually with some kind of catch. Mephistopheles lives within the Tower of Nessus, in the realm of Hell in the plane of Thanatos. Mephistopheles’s favored weapon is the Spiked Chain, and his domains include Evil (Devil), Law (Devil), Magic, Rune (Language), and Trickery (Deception).

Astellar (Neutral Evil) – Astellar is the God of the Sun and Light. Astellar believes in searing purification, killing those in the way if need be. Astellar created the Sun as a way to purge darkness, and nothing more. It has no real gender, and is the progenitor of the Shining Children. It is also the creator of the Bebiliths, hating demons more than anything, except undead. Astellar is a creature of Leng, and its true intentions are unknown, but its methods would be considered definitively evil by most. Astellar’s favored weapon is Morningstar (though it is presumed this was merely chosen by Astellar’s worshippers due to its name), and its domains include Fire (Ash), Madness (Insanity), Magic, and Sun.

Apocalypse (Neutral Evil) – Apocalypse is the God of Death, Daemons, and Evil. Apocalypse is the ruler of Thanatos, and specifically the realm of Gehenna. Apocalypse is the leader of the Four Horsemen, bringers of death: Szuriel, Horseman of War; Trelmarixian, Horseman of Famine; Apollyon, Horseman of Pestilience; and Charon, Horseman of Death. Apocalypse does not rule over the dead, but the actual act of dying itself, and seeks to bring about violent and sorrowful deaths. Apocalypse’s favored weapon is the Scythe, and his domains include Death (Murder), Destruction (Catastrophe), Evil (Daemon), and War (Blood).

Lilith (Chaotic Evil) – Lilith is the Goddess of Demons, Destruction, and Lust. Lilith is the most powerful being in the Abyss, and it is said she was once a mortal woman, tempted by lust and hate. Lilith may be the progenitor of demons, and is definitely the first Succubus. Lilith wants little more than lust and destruction, and loves to watch demons wreak havoc. Lilith’s favored weapon is the War Razor, and her domains include Chaos (Demon), Charm (Lust), Destruction, Evil (Demon), Madness, and Trickery (Deception).

Norga (Chaotic Evil) – Norga is the Goddess of the Savage races, Fertility, Revolution, and Slaughter. Norga is said to be the mother of the orcs, ogres, goblins, gnolls, and trolls (and other similar creatures). She vilifies the demi-human races as opressors, and encourages violent revolution. Of course, she was no less violent before the birth of her ‘children’, and so, it was her very nature that drove those races to be violent (and in turn, hated) in the first place. Norga’s favored weapon is the Greataxe, and her domains include Destruction (Rage), Liberation (Revolution), Strength (Ferocity), and War (Blood).

Puck (Chaotic Evil) – Puck is the God of Trickery, Mischief, Trickster Fey, and Gnomes. Puck is the father (or possibly mother, or neuter) of many Fey creatures, including Satyrs and Nymphs, as well as many dark fey and Gnomes and their related ilk (Spriggans, Svirfneblin, and the like). He is an uncaring god, who simply takes pleasure in mischief and trickery, regardless of the cost to the victim. Most gnomes do not worship Puck, finding his complete disregard for consequences regrettable, but many do pay him lip service as a trickster. Puck's favored weapon is the Starknife, and his domains include Animal, Charm (Lust), Luck, Plant (Decay), and Trickery.

The Eye – The Eye is the God of Aberrations and controller of the unknowable plane of Leng. No mortals can truly understand The Eye, but his worshippers do know that his intentions for the Material Plane are to twist all creatures into Aberrations (reflected in creatures such as the great Jabberwocks, twisted reflections of Drakhirm’s dragons). The Eye has no Favored Weapon and no true alignment (his worshippers are usually within one step of Chaotic Evil, as they accept his desire to twist the world into aberrations); but his domains are Darkness (Loss), Destruction (Catastrophe), and Madness.

Meliai

wow that's an awful lot of gods

Hurray for true neutral death though!
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I'm thorough, and I think it is more notable to have a TN undead god. I wanted to try to break stereotypes as much as I could."

sleepingferret

So what's the situation on this one?  I've been a tad busy, but I'll have a bit more detail on character concepts if sent to you in the next couple of days (if this may still be a possible thing to happen).

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I am currently developing the setting with Pyrkinas (i am never online on Saturdays except shortly in the morning), however, worry not, by the ened of the week, I will probably be ready to post the new thread in this forum to officially recruit."

sleepingferret

I'll send you my more detailed character concept outlines (and possibly some new ones), by Tues or Wed, then.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I have the setting outlined, but I need to sleep. I'll post it here soon, and prepare to lock this thread and put up a completely new thread. I will also PM anyone who has shown interest, as well as a few other members who strike me as people who might be interested."

ManyMindsManyVoices

Omneiro
Omneiro is the City of Dreams, a place where one can find almost anything. Of course, like most places that make a claim like that, Omneiro is actually more of a dangerous, deceptive place. Omneiro boasts a large population, with the largest percentage being humans, followed closely by elves. There are few races that cannot be found somewhere in Omneiro, however.

Omneiro is ruled by King William Graham, though the Guilds would beg to differ. In truth, King William is really just the General of the Militia. He has final command of the military, which allows him to enforce any law he desires; otherwise, the council of the guilds’ leaders have control over the day-to-day goings on in the city. The guild leaders would prefer to revolt against the King, and dethrone him, giving them control of the military’s actions, and in turn, all of Omneiro.

The guilds are a major feature of Omneiro, having a tiered structure. The major guilds (listed below), each hold a place on the council, and keep the run of many smaller guilds related to their general purpose. Each of these guilds (except the Assassins’ Guild, but including the Thieves’ Guild) are legitimate and legal powers in the city, and are allowed to enforce laws within their own ranks, so long as they do not break any of the King’s laws regarding guild enforcement: for example, guilds are not allowed to enforce guild laws with capital punishment.

On top of this, the city is highly advanced, which has become a point of contention. Firearms are commonplace in the military (and the laws about private firearm use are ‘fuzzy’ at best). There are a few forms of air travel (airships, gliders, among others), and the famous Ring Force Vessel (the RFV for short), which has been criticized as highly dangerous. The Ring Force Vessel uses a system of tunnels created using fast revolving tunnels of force energy to propel a specially designed vessel extremely quickly through the city. The vessel is enchanted so that the effects of traveling at such a high speed have little effect on the people inside. The RFV has stops in every district (most multiple times) and special vessels will take important people to upper levels of major buildings throughout the city.

(The city is completely in development, and open-ended, so long as the ideas above and below are adhered to, players may run ideas about new areas, new guilds, or various other developments in the city through me.)

Military

King William is actually a skilled tactician and general, but is a poor leader and ruler. He enjoys his luxurious lifestyle, and so long as his laws are enforced, his city is not under siege, and the guilds know their place, he does very little. However, Omneiro prospers without his intervention, and as is often the case, the common people care nothing for who holds the titles and rules the land.

The military has a very simple ranking system, with Squires at the bottom, followed by Sergeants, then Lieutenants, and led by Captains (who are just under the King). Sergeants lead a small group of Squires (usually trained in a style similar to the Sergeant, with  few specialists of other styles to ensure variety) and one Ensign (a standard bearer). Squires who show certain potential can be taken as apprentices to Knights to become Knights themselves.

The militia is housed in the noble district (to provide ease of access to the part of the city ‘worth protecting’), but are generally treated as common folk otherwise. While a few ‘soldier taverns’ exist on the fringes of the noble district, the soldiers are expected to shop and entertain themselves in the same way as the normal citizens. This has not endeared them to the nobles, but most are loyal enough to the King to balance that particular issue. Most officers are known rather well by those that frequent their favorite taverns, shops, inns, and other places a soldier might visit when off-duty.

Religious

There is a large religious section in Omneiro, with at least a shrine, and often a great temple, dedicated to each of the world’s major deities. Of those gods, a few have a major influence in the city for various reasons.

Mechanus has a large following, due to Omneiro’s dominating technological advancements. This faction is one of the few religious factions not particularly aggressive towards the new technological movement or the introduction of firearms.

Morgiana has a rather large influence, which is one of the reasons the Thieves’ Guild operates ‘honorably’ and legally within the city.

Mercari has a major influence in the city, as the city trades with almost every major city and kingdom in the world.

Twilight has a great influence in many places in the world, as death is a major part of all societies. Here, Twilight actually trains special priests to investigate killings (often speaking to corpses and spirits and even animating the dead to dole out punishment).

Norga has a rather large influence amongst the ‘savage races’ living in Omneiro, who are often forced to live in slum-like areas. More than one revolution has been started, if not brought to battle, in the name of the Savage Goddess.

The Guilds
(The guilds listed here are major guilds, if you wish to design a minor guild that works within these guilds, such as a group known as the ‘Sewer Rats’ that works within the Thieves’ Guild, discuss it with me and we shall make note of it.)

Mercenary Guild – The mercenary guild is a dangerous guild, and even the members of the main guild are often brutish and willing to put people in harm’s way simply for the coin.

Merchants’ Guild – A less than pleasant guild, that, much like the mercenary guild, is really in it for the coin. The two guilds often work together, splitting shares, and using brute strength to enforce various trade ‘laws’ and deals.

Assassins’ Guild – Though the assassins’ guild is not legal, it doesn’t mean that it has no influence in the council. The leader of the assassins’ guild is happy to sit in on meetings, in the open, and make decisions as if he were a legitimate guild leader. The guild is well-known, but if a newcomer were to ask about it on the street, everyone would conveniently forget about them.

Thieves’ Guild –  The thieves’ guild is a legal guild, allowed to function within the city so long as they maintain their own activities and make donations and pay taxes. Essentially, should a guard capture a thief, and the thief is a member of one of the secondary guilds and can prove it, they can call in a representative to confirm their activities are sanctioned.

Mage’s Cabal (Guild) – The mages are a powerful force within the city, but are generally divided (as so many different schools of magic and schools of thought exist within the ranks of the guilds) on their decisions. The Archmage has a smaller council of his own which he often has in session while at guild meetings and can contact to get a decision for the entire mage’s cabal. Many mage guilds have risen, attempting to create a second mage’s guild to give different schools of thought more influence on decisions on a greater level. So far, none have succeeded in forming a larger guild.

Entertainers’ Guild – The entertainers’ guild is one of the least corrupt, second only to the workmans’ guild, and, ironically, the thieves’ guild. They represent many forms of entertainment, from bards and minstrels, to whores and dancers, and cover even the peripheries such as playwrights and sometimes tavern owners.

Workmans’ Guild – The largest, but simplest, guild, the workmans’ guild simply exists to ensure that the working people of Omneiro get a say in decisions. However, though it has the largest membership, it is often the most ignored amongst the guild leaders.

City Features

Druid’s Circle – Just beyond the city limits is the Druid’s Circle, a group of rangers, druids, shamans, and other nature lovers who work with Omneiro’s officials to ensure that the natural lands around the city are not harmed or overly hunted/harvested.

Black Market – The Black Market is one of the few places that is barely touched by the influence of the guilds, as it was formed to specifically bypass the laws, taxes, and restrictions of the merchants’ guild.

Savage Slums – Some parts of the city are segregated, allowing orcs, goblins, ogres, and other such creatures, but forcing them to live in subpar conditions. Most of these races are granted full citizenship rights, but it doesn’t mean that they aren’t liable to be shot, even by guards, simply for leaving the slums.

Places of Interest
(These areas may have threads dedicated to them if the activity in that area is likely to be high.)

(This is all subject to development and growth. If someone wishes to add a feature to the city, they may discuss it with me, and I will see about its addition, especially if there is a likelihood of it creating a storyline.)

ManyMindsManyVoices

"New thread (with links to the various organization threads) posted here, now to lock this thread away."