Scion - Saga Of An Age Undreamed Of

Started by HairyHeretic, March 20, 2016, 11:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuchulainn

Quote from: Phaia on March 25, 2016, 07:22:26 PM

As for the face claims I kinda like Joe myself but all three would get my character to lower her sunglasses and look them over.

Phaia

Well if I switch him to London which I think I will then he might be aware, as for the face claim Joe was my first choice. He's got the advanced years, the burly frame, and the rugged steely, no nonsense, do whatever it takes to get the bad guy, look I wanted in the scion. Also Horus is described as typically being fair skin when he takes human form, but I did fall in love with Isha when I saw him, bah might just have to save him for something else. I always hate the face claim bit.

Phaia

As for my character this is my current working image....another blonde for the group  ;D since I know that AndyZ and Muse both have blondes as well.
Blonde surfer girl ;) ;)

Phaia

Jacquelyn, "Jac"
[

HopeFox

Quote from: Phaia on March 25, 2016, 02:33:51 PM
3rd question] well this one is kinda for Cuchulainn and deviant [hello to both btw]. If Hairy has no problem with my character concept and seeing as you two have sorry ass...I mean are upstanding Law types [both FBI?] would you like to have heard about my character and her family. They are English and have a title.  ;) ;)

Cuckoo is the daughter of the Earl of Carrick, who is part of the Peerage of Ireland, and might also be titled Baron Laine in the Peerage of the United Kingdom (Irish nobility is complicated). She's in the Irish society pages a lot for having three children from undisclosed fathers and for being outspokenly pagan. She's moderately aware of the goings-on in the peerages, although Society isn't really her thing. Also, hi Phaia!

Quote from: AndyZ on March 25, 2016, 04:54:06 PM
The tough part is that Untouchable Opponent becomes ridiculous at higher levels.  Defense Values aren't all that well balanced, and it's not difficult to get such a high dodge that you need Epic Dexterity for anyone to hit you at all.

Michelle's Dodge DV is 10, so it'll usually be 9 after taking an action.  If someone has 11 dice to attempt to hit her, they need 4 automatic successes (Epic Dex 3) just to have a ~50/50 chance.  Throw in Untouchable Opponent and you need to raise that even more.  However, if you have an NPC with Epic Dex 4, then nobody but someone who already has a high Epic Dex has a decent chance to hit them at all.

Yeah, I've noticed that. At higher Legend, a serious combatant pretty much needs to max out their Epic Dexterity, no matter what style of fighting they use... which is a sign of poor game design.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 25, 2016, 05:16:28 PM
The GM section basically tries to work around that saying that Fate matches each Scion with an appropriate opponent. That being said, hopefully it will be better balanced in the next edition :)

Fate is awfully handy that way - it gives the GM a good in-universe way to fudge things to their liking!

I'm really looking forward to the second edition. I love the Scion setting, and the ideas behind the Boons ad Epic Attributes are great, but the mechanical implementation isn't great. My girlfriend runs a lot of Scion games at conventions, and she uses a very modified and cut-down version of the system.

Quote from: Phaia on March 25, 2016, 07:31:36 PM
As for my character this is my current working image....another blonde for the group  ;D since I know that AndyZ and Muse both have blondes as well.
Blonde surfer girl ;) ;)

Phaia

Jacquelyn, "Jac"
[
NSFW "Jac"

She looks lovely! "Jacquelyn" sounds more like a name for a scion of Anubis, though. :) There's always room for more blondes - I'll bring the redhead.
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

Phaia

Quote from: HopeFox on March 25, 2016, 08:31:16 PM
Cuckoo is the daughter of the Earl of Carrick, who is part of the Peerage of Ireland, and might also be titled Baron Laine in the Peerage of the United Kingdom (Irish nobility is complicated). She's in the Irish society pages a lot for having three children from undisclosed fathers and for being outspokenly pagan. She's moderately aware of the goings-on in the peerages, although Society isn't really her thing. Also, hi Phaia!
Pretentious Irish!  ;) ;) Love to toss around the titles. :P I mean just because Jac's grandfather is also a Baron of the UK, and her father a Knight, [both with what would be called colorful histories] does not mean she tries to toss around herself being called a 'Lady'.  Psst Pah!!  ;)

She looks lovely! "Jacquelyn" sounds more like a name for a scion of Anubis, though. :) There's always room for more blondes - I'll bring the redhead.

Well I kinda liked having someone that did not know her going looking for a guy called Jack. I was also considering Nicole 'Nick'. Also hello as well and Yes she is...though she does not have the canlopes that Cockoo has oh wait that is Cuckoo  ;). Jac keeps a lot lower profile. It would be bad to have the paparazzi seeing her climb a building to break into something. For all intents even though she has dated a couple of well known men she appears the bubble headed rich surfer girl.

Phaia

DeviantMunster

Quote from: Phaia on March 25, 2016, 02:33:51 PM
3rd question] well this one is kinda for Cuchulainn and deviant [hello to both btw]. If Hairy has no problem with my character concept and seeing as you two have sorry ass...I mean are upstanding Law types [both FBI?] would you like to have heard about my character and her family. They are English and have a title.  ;) ;)

Alex is/was part of one of the FBI's fly teams. HRT, Hostage Rescue Team. They deal mostly with terrorism and the ilk, so she probably wouldn't have heard of her at all - she's not a profiler or investigator!

Edit: I hope my sheet is accurate.
By the way, Hope, your stats are wrong? You didn't mention buying any Stamina. I think. I'm still new to the system.  You have fives in Strength, Dex, + Stam!

HopeFox

Quote from: DeviantMunster on March 25, 2016, 09:40:28 PM
By the way, Hope, your stats are wrong? You didn't mention buying any Stamina. I think. I'm still new to the system.  You have fives in Strength, Dex, + Stam!

I think it's correct (I used a spreadsheet and everything). And I only gave her Dexterity 2. She fights like a cow.

Quote from: Phaia on March 25, 2016, 09:06:49 PM
Pretentious Irish!  ;) ;) Love to toss around the titles. :P I mean just because Jac's grandfather is also a Baron of the UK, and her father a Knight, [both with what would be called colorful histories] does not mean she tries to toss around herself being called a 'Lady'.  Psst Pah!!  ;)

Well, for her, it's more that she's a throwback to the old, old days of the Gaelic Kings of Ireland. Which doesn't actually work, because the current Irish peerage was created by the English, but eh. :)

Well I kinda liked having someone that did not know her going looking for a guy called Jack. I was also considering Nicole 'Nick'. Also hello as well and Yes she is...though she does not have the canlopes that Cockoo has oh wait that is Cuckoo  ;). Jac keeps a lot lower profile. It would be bad to have the paparazzi seeing her climb a building to break into something. For all intents even though she has dated a couple of well known men she appears the bubble headed rich surfer girl.

What can I say? She is a large woman, in every possible way, and she loves cock, in every possible way.

And Jack is a cool name.

HairyHeretic

No reason her family couldn't have married into one of the pre English royal families, probably the O'Neill's. That would give her another tie.

And if people are happy with the character sheets, feel free to send them on to me. If you can detail how you spent bonus points and bonus XP, that will help me out :)

Also, once I have a write up (a few paragraphs) of some previous adventures, you'll get a bonus based on that (could be a relic, a follower, contacts or something else)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

HopeFox

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 26, 2016, 06:57:42 AM
No reason her family couldn't have married into one of the pre English royal families, probably the O'Neill's. That would give her another tie.

Ooh, I like that idea! Maybe her mother can be descended from Niall of the Nine Hostages.

*does some research*

Apparently everybody in Ireland is descended from Niall of the Nine Hostages. Dude got around.

Interestingly, though, the region where Cuckoo's family now lives used to be part of the Kingdom of Osraigh, which was (legendarily) ruled in the second century by Loegaire Birn Buadach and the Dál Birn dynasty, who actually survived into modern times as the FitzPatrick family, who ruled as Earls of Upper Ossory into the 19th century. Cuckoo's mother can be from that family!

QuoteAnd if people are happy with the character sheets, feel free to send them on to me. If you can detail how you spent bonus points and bonus XP, that will help me out :)

Also, once I have a write up (a few paragraphs) of some previous adventures, you'll get a bonus based on that (could be a relic, a follower, contacts or something else)

Cool! I'll give the numbers a final going-over, then figure out some previous exploits and send them over!

Flower

I'm hoping to finish up my sheet tonight. Hopefully Hairy or Andy is about once I'm off work.  ::)

HairyHeretic

I'm generally about til midnight-ish GMT.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Cuchulainn on March 25, 2016, 07:08:53 PM
2) Are my Boons and Dots right? Not sure after Phaia's question

I haven't gone through it fully to check BP spend, but I can see a couple of level 3 things there. At Legend 3 you're limited to 2 dots of Epic anything, and rank 2 boons. Those at the least will need to be changed I'm afraid.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

@Hairy- Would this work as brass knuckles for you?  I love the look and did not get the chance to use them in the other scion group [it seems to have died quickly].

Phaia

HairyHeretic

What does it do? Is it simply a mundane set of brass knuckles with an odd appearance, or something more?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 27, 2016, 04:30:21 PM
What does it do? Is it simply a mundane set of brass knuckles with an odd appearance, or something more?

Well I was  thinking that if she can use them as brass knuckles [which from waht i read use brawl] then they were gonna have a couple [or 3] dots on extra damage. Though I was also considering adding 3 dot legend to strength roll which as she gets more legend adds more dice to her raw damage rolls. I have not found many other uses for strength rolls. So I will probally not go that route. Though it is  way to scale extra damage as someone goes up in legend. After all at some point the raw damage begins to rely only on eDex success's.

Anyway That was the plan. I may just also use my orginal idea
Brass Knuckles- +1 Acc, +3B, +1 Def, Spd 4
Add +1 to damage
Unique 1 Dot power- Add (Legend x 5)(10 Yards) to a weapon's Range.
Unique 1 Dot Power- Control up to range allowing the 'hand' to crawl or climb or work levers. This uses her strength (+any Epic Bonus)
Which If I understand right would allow brawl attacks at range?

Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

Phaia

Phaia

How does this sound for my character's name?

Jacquelyn Nafteta Greystoke

Nafteta is ancient original Egyptian for Nefertiti and means 'Beautiful has come'. And yes she is related to THAT Greystoke. [Several greats uncle or maybe several greats grandfather if Hairy allows]

Phaia

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Phaia on March 27, 2016, 04:45:01 PM
Well I was  thinking that if she can use them as brass knuckles [which from waht i read use brawl] then they were gonna have a couple [or 3] dots on extra damage. Though I was also considering adding 3 dot legend to strength roll which as she gets more legend adds more dice to her raw damage rolls. I have not found many other uses for strength rolls. So I will probally not go that route. Though it is  way to scale extra damage as someone goes up in legend. After all at some point the raw damage begins to rely only on eDex success's.

Yep, if you want to increase melee damage, epic strenth is really the way to go.

Anyway That was the plan. I may just also use my orginal idea Which If I understand right would allow brawl attacks at range?

Yeah, it looks like it would. Effectively you'd still be making a melee attack, just out to a short distance.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

Well, Luke would suggest sending the claw scurrying up the bad guys trouser leg during combat ought to prove more than a little distracting. ;)

Quote from: Phaia on March 27, 2016, 04:54:57 PM
How does this sound for my character's name?

Jacquelyn Nafteta Greystoke

Nafteta is ancient original Egyptian for Nefertiti and means 'Beautiful has come'. And yes she is related to THAT Greystoke. [Several greats uncle or maybe several greats grandfather if Hairy allows]

Phaia

No objections from me :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Once people have a final character sheet together, along with past couple of adventures to show what they're been doing up til now, please PM it on to me. I know we've had a lot of work in progress ones in this thread, and I don't want to overlook a finished version by mistake :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

I know you are allowing lvl1 and lvl 2 boons in purview if you spend 2 dots on said purview. Does that include magic? There is something like 10--1 and 2 dot spells out there?

Also can you place a magic spell in birthright/relic like any other boon?

Phaia

Cuchulainn

Yea I would also like it to be explained how buying Boons higher than rank 1 works and how much they cost.

Phaia

Hairy, say I wanted to add a 1 dot +1 damage to unarmed. Is it even possible? after all several knacks build on unarmed combat [though I have never understood the reasoning behind the grappling aspect they seem to push with the strength knacks]. Are brass knuckles considered unarmed for the knack Divine wrath, which lefts unarmed damage become lethal!

I really did not want to make Jack into an epic strength fighter, yet she is not the sort to use weapons or guns!

Phaia

HopeFox

Quote from: Phaia on March 27, 2016, 10:07:08 PM
Hairy, say I wanted to add a 1 dot +1 damage to unarmed. Is it even possible? after all several knacks build on unarmed combat [though I have never understood the reasoning behind the grappling aspect they seem to push with the strength knacks]. Are brass knuckles considered unarmed for the knack Divine wrath, which lefts unarmed damage become lethal!

I really did not want to make Jack into an epic strength fighter, yet she is not the sort to use weapons or guns!

Phaia

You could always give them a 1 dot power that adds your Legend to Dexterity+Brawl rolls. That will improve your chances of hitting, and also increase your damage, and it keeps getting better as you gain Legend.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Phaia on March 27, 2016, 06:23:58 PM
I know you are allowing lvl1 and lvl 2 boons in purview if you spend 2 dots on said purview. Does that include magic? There is something like 10--1 and 2 dot spells out there?

Quote from: Cuchulainn on March 27, 2016, 06:36:41 PM
Yea I would also like it to be explained how buying Boons higher than rank 1 works and how much they cost.

At character creation only I'm allowing boons to be bought in the same way as epic abilties, since they come from the same points pool. Starting at Legend 3, the characters will be able to purchase rank 1 or rank 2 boons at 1 point each, from the pool of 10 that you have to start.

Buying them with bonus points is the standard 5 (or 4 if favoured).

Buying them with XP will be as per normal XP spend.

Magic are considered boons, so yes, that also applies to those.

Quote from: Phaia on March 27, 2016, 06:23:58 PM
Also can you place a magic spell in birthright/relic like any other boon?

I would say yes, provisionally.

Quote from: Phaia on March 27, 2016, 10:07:08 PM

Yeah, the grappling thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. which is why I'm okay with Crushing Grip being use for any kind of unarmed attack, rather than only grappling.

Realisticly once you go above Hero, you need epic abilities to get enough damage through the bad guys soak. That means either epic strength for a melee fighter, or epic perception to add to missile damage.

Another way you might counteract that is with Fight With Your Head. Soak is boosted by epic stamina, and FWYH allows you to negate your opponents epic bonuses. "This Knack can negate bonuses from Knacks and Boons, as well as automatic successes and bonuses from Epic Attributes themselves."

Does that help?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 28, 2016, 06:18:20 AM
Magic are considered boons, so yes, that also applies to those.

Yea that means magic is the BOOMMB! purview to start with!! 2 bonus dots gains a character 11 spells. Yes some of the spells are almost useless but you still have them. I would like to offer a suggestion for magic.
For each bonus point spent the character receives 2 spells. The 1st BP only allows 1 dot magic. The 2nd BP allows 1 or 2 dot spells. This still gives someone at least 4 spells to start and with 5 BP they basically get all the 1 and 2 dot magic spells.

I would say yes, provisionally.

Provisionally? I get the idea you would want to look at the relic and approve it first.

Yeah, the grappling thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. which is why I'm okay with Crushing Grip being use for any kind of unarmed attack, rather than only grappling.

Realistically once you go above Hero, you need epic abilities to get enough damage through the bad guys soak. That means either epic strength for a melee fighter, or epic perception to add to missile damage.

Another way you might counteract that is with Fight With Your Head. Soak is boosted by epic stamina, and FWYH allows you to negate your opponents epic bonuses. "This Knack can negate bonuses from Knacks and Boons, as well as automatic successes and bonuses from Epic Attributes themselves."

Does that help?

Yes and no. Yes in that allowing Crushing grip to work for any kind of unarmed attack helps. Though it does kinda mess with the next knacks in that chain.
No in that I do not think I was clear in my question--Hairy, say I wanted to add a 1 dot +1 damage to unarmed-- what I am asking here is how to add 1 dot to unarmed/clinch.
QuoteGain a +1 to a weapon's Accuracy, Damage, or Defense.
How to apply this to unarmed when you do not have a weapon per see to add the 1 dot too. I guess I could say my character herself is a relic and spend 3 dots to improve her ACc with unarmed... or maybe a tattoo. Then what about heavy Unarmed which states you are using your feet. I suppose that is why brass knuckles were added to brawl but to me that seems cheap and not in the spirit of a Scion.

As for the insane DV's I have a suggestion but first for the others an example. Jack has 5 Dex, 2 eDex, 4 athletics and 5 brawl. This works out as follows. for DV you go [Dex+Ath+legend]/2 =6+2 eDex = 8 DV without untouchable opp. To attack she has. Dex+brawl+leg [from relic] =12 dice +2 success from eDex. To hit herself she would need 7 success's from 12 dice. If She had untouchable even with Hairy's houserule she would be at a 10 DV and then would need 9 success's with 12 dice.

There are minor ways to improve it a bit. +Acc to a weapon works best at lower legend, after all why worry about that extra damage when you cannot hit. The Deodekatheon have Arete which really help equal things up[I am honestly really considering the Deodekatheon just for that reason]. There are of course some boons and effects that can very effectively win a battle. My suggestion for this though is simple. Instead of dividing by 2 divide by 3. [Dex+Ath+Leg]/3=4 +2 eDex=6 Dv for Jack to start this is makes combat faster. Now to hit herself she only needs 5 success out of 12 dice [or 7 with UO which can still be doable with a bit of luck]

Anyway Hairy I was wondering really how to build something that adds to unarmed without needing to take say brass knuckles or some sort of foot ware?

Phaia

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Phaia on March 28, 2016, 11:32:15 AM
Yea that means magic is the BOOMMB! purview to start with!! 2 bonus dots gains a character 11 spells. Yes some of the spells are almost useless but you still have them. I would like to offer a suggestion for magic.
For each bonus point spent the character receives 2 spells. The 1st BP only allows 1 dot magic. The 2nd BP allows 1 or 2 dot spells. This still gives someone at least 4 spells to start and with 5 BP they basically get all the 1 and 2 dot magic spells.

If you want to get that many spellls you're going to end up very light on epic abilitites though, and have no other purview boons either. I've never been a fan of specialising to that degree, as it means outside your chosen field, you're going to find it a lot harder to do anything. I like magic myself, but I'd rarely take more than 2 or 3 spells to start with.

Given that the points reduction only applies on the initial 10 knacks / boons, any bonus spells / boons / knacks are still going to cost 4-5BPs

Provisionally? I get the idea you would want to look at the relic and approve it first.

Yes, but I do that with every relic.

Yes and no. Yes in that allowing Crushing grip to work for any kind of unarmed attack helps. Though it does kinda mess with the next knacks in that chain.
No in that I do not think I was clear in my question--Hairy, say I wanted to add a 1 dot +1 damage to unarmed-- what I am asking here is how to add 1 dot to unarmed/clinch. How to apply this to unarmed when you do not have a weapon per see to add the 1 dot too. I guess I could say my character herself is a relic and spend 3 dots to improve her ACc with unarmed... or maybe a tattoo. Then what about heavy Unarmed which states you are using your feet. I suppose that is why brass knuckles were added to brawl but to me that seems cheap and not in the spirit of a Scion.

Ok, I got you now.  One of the one dot powers in the Companion relic creation section is 'Add wearer’s Legend to any single (Attribute + Ability) roll.' Take any relic and add that power to your dex+brawl, and it should get the effect you're after, I think.

As for the insane DV's I have a suggestion but first for the others an example. Jack has 5 Dex, 2 eDex, 4 athletics and 5 brawl. This works out as follows. for DV you go [Dex+Ath+legend]/2 =6+2 eDex = 8 DV without untouchable opp. To attack she has. Dex+brawl+leg [from relic] =12 dice +2 success from eDex. To hit herself she would need 7 success's from 12 dice. If She had untouchable even with Hairy's houserule she would be at a 10 DV and then would need 9 success's with 12 dice.

There are a variety of ways to increase your own attack power, and decrease the opponents defense.

There are minor ways to improve it a bit. +Acc to a weapon works best at lower legend, after all why worry about that extra damage when you cannot hit. The Deodekatheon have Arete which really help equal things up[I am honestly really considering the Deodekatheon just for that reason]. There are of course some boons and effects that can very effectively win a battle. My suggestion for this though is simple. Instead of dividing by 2 divide by 3. [Dex+Ath+Leg]/3=4 +2 eDex=6 Dv for Jack to start this is makes combat faster. Now to hit herself she only needs 5 success out of 12 dice [or 7 with UO which can still be doable with a bit of luck]

At the moment I don't think that's necessary. Trust me, inventive players will find ways to take down a bad guy. :)

Anyway Hairy I was wondering really how to build something that adds to unarmed without needing to take say brass knuckles or some sort of foot ware?
Phaia

Add wearer’s Legend to any single (Attribute + Ability) roll is probably your best bet to start with. Look at the boons and knacks that can affect combat, or grant more dice.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 28, 2016, 12:18:42 PM
Ok, I got you now.  One of the one dot powers in the Companion relic creation section is 'Add wearer’s Legend to any single (Attribute + Ability) roll.' Take any relic and add that power to your dex+brawl, and it should get the effect you're after, I think.

What is considered a relic for unarmed combat? The character's hands? Feet? Arms for clinching? Body?
For melee you have weapons, same for Markmanship and even thrown. What do you have as a relic for unarmed besides Brass knuckles [which technically can be considered a weapon]?

The only way I have found using RAW is nothing to add +dam+acc+def to unarmed. I would prefer not to have Jack Use a weapon.

Phaia