Corrupt Data For PS2

Started by Lady Annabelle, April 10, 2010, 11:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Annabelle

So, a couple of months ago, I found that one of my files on my PS2 memory card had become corrupted.  I couldn't delete it, so I just transferred all of my files into a whole new memory card.  I thought that would solve the problem, but I put in an older game into my PS2 last night and it said that game is now corrupted.  I am pretty sure I can delete the file if I would like, which is probably what I am going to have to do.  This memory card is brand spanking new and it already is getting corrupted data...

But, I am curious as to why my data keeps getting corrupted.  Is it the system that is corrupting my data?  Is it just that over time my files keep getting corrupted?  Should I move my files onto a whole new memory card?  I have a very old PS2 and am wondering if it would be prudent to go out and buy another one.  And I don't do anything terrible to my memory cards for it happen.  It is really getting frustrating as this is the 3rd game I have lost to corrupted data...
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Seems to me if it happened on a brand new card, it's almost certainly the console at fault, yeah?

Lady Annabelle

Can the console itself really corrupt data on a memory card?  I didn't think that was possible...
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

One of the contacts could be worn down, some cable could be loose... it could be any number of things. I would recommend finding another PS2 to borrow, try saving several times with a game that's been corrupted reliably, and see if it happens on that console.

Lady Annabelle

Unfortunately, most of the time it just happens to a random game.

The console is like 5 or 6 years old, so maybe it is just wearing down or something like that...?

Corruption happening on a brand new card seems pretty damning to the console. *shrugs* I can't imagine what else it would be.

Lady Annabelle

*Sighs*  From everything that I have found, it looks like I need a new console.  And I was just at a game store last night...

Anyway, thank you Karma!  *Hugs*

*hugs* I hope that IS the problem, cause otherwise, who knows. @_@

DrFier

Be careful of what you delete! some games don't use the standardized format for PS2 memory card data, so what the memory browser tells you is corrupted could actually be perfectly fine data in a bad format, which can be read just fine by the game that made it.
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.