News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Looking for games epic in scope

Started by Inkidu, December 15, 2013, 03:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 15, 2013, 05:34:44 PM
A world? I prefer 4X games where I can conquer many worlds, species etc etc ;)
I've played 4X games that have a universe. Sword of the Stars comes to mind.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

HairyHeretic

Yeah, I've played quite a few of them, from Master of Orion onwards. Never found one that quite pushed all the right buttons for me, but I've enjoyed them still :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Lux12

Once again, it's a bit older, but what about the Summoner Series.?

Crimson Caine

If you don't mind going old school Jade Empire is pretty epic with a very Asian flair.  You can download it off Xbox.  It's one of my all time favs.  Beyond that, most of the other ideas I have have been done.  Knight of the Old Republic one and two, not the MMO, is nice with a someone epic feel.  I don't know if they have that one on Xbox but I know it's on Steam I believe.  And the old Jedi Knight series has a touch of epic in it as it goes on.  Though I have no idea the availability of that one.
The pious pretense that evil does not exist only makes it vague, enormous and menacing. – Aleister Crowley
CC's O/O
CC's Request Thread
CC's Disappearing Routine (A/A)

Inkidu

Quote from: Lux12 on December 15, 2013, 05:49:58 PM
Once again, it's a bit older, but what about the Summoner Series.?
Huh, I'll look into those, but I don't know what platforms they might be on or how many games there might be.

Crimson Cain: I've played all those.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Null

Maybe Far Cry games? Particularly the 3rd one?
I was younger then, I wasn't afraid of anything, I didn't think about dying for a second. I thought I was invincible. Then I met her. Before me, my world shattered. I wanted to live, I started to think like that; for the first time I was afraid of death. I had never felt like that before.

Inkidu

Quote from: Null on December 15, 2013, 05:57:21 PM
Maybe Far Cry games? Particularly the 3rd one?
Payed the third one. No real interest in the first two because of some of the strangeness I've heard about. :\

BraveEarth

Maybe Dwarf Fortress, although that's more getting lost with what you can do with it.

Inkidu

Quote from: BraveEarth on December 15, 2013, 06:06:08 PM
Maybe Dwarf Fortress, although that's more getting lost with what you can do with it.
I play the occasional game. My plan is to get good enough to make a bunch of fortress of truly impressive magnitude so my adventure mod characters can play around in them.

I'm failing, miserably. :P

Revelation

Have you tried Demons and Dark Souls for the PS3/360/PC? Though only Dark souls is on the latter two.

Inkidu

Quote from: Changingsaint on December 15, 2013, 07:29:58 PM
Have you tried Demons and Dark Souls for the PS3/360/PC? Though only Dark souls is on the latter two.
I've played Dark Souls. Didn't like it. Had good atmosphere, but I found it had a myriad of issues that when combined with its brutal difficulty that made playing it a bore. The battles which I thought would feel epic just became trial-and-error fests.

consortium11

Considering the games you've listed there's a good chance you've played at least some of these (and I've left out some that I'm pretty sure you've already mentioned playing), but anyway...

On the RPG front:

Planescape Torment
Arcanum
Vampire Masquerade: Redemption (with fan patches/mods... the original even patched is still a horribly buggy mess).
Shadowrun Returns
Pretty much any game by Spiderweb Software/Jeff Vogel
Betrayal at Krondor (brilliant game but showing its age)
Wasteland (really showing its age)
Deus Ex (Primarily 1 but 2 and HR have some interesting ideas/concepts)
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (a really good hack/slash RPG)
Anachronox (criminally underrated RPG)

In other genres, Sins of a Solar Empire (a sort of 4X/RTS hybrid) has no "story mode" or the like but a vast amount of pretty well written lore. Thief 1 + 2 are both great and Psychonauts (a brilliant platformer) has an excellent setting and atmosphere.

Edit: Should chuck in System Shock 1 + 2 as well... truly brilliant atmosphere in both games.

Oniya

I have to say, I got nicely lost in the really old-school Might and Magic games.  You'd probably have to use a DOS-box to get them to run on anything above XP, though.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: consortium11 on December 15, 2013, 08:17:16 PM
Considering the games you've listed there's a good chance you've played at least some of these (and I've left out some that I'm pretty sure you've already mentioned playing), but anyway...

On the RPG front:

Planescape Torment
Arcanum
Vampire Masquerade: Redemption (with fan patches/mods... the original even patched is still a horribly buggy mess).
Shadowrun Returns
Pretty much any game by Spiderweb Software/Jeff Vogel
Betrayal at Krondor (brilliant game but showing its age)
Wasteland (really showing its age)
Deus Ex (Primarily 1 but 2 and HR have some interesting ideas/concepts)
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (a really good hack/slash RPG)
Anachronox (criminally underrated RPG)

In other genres, Sins of a Solar Empire (a sort of 4X/RTS hybrid) has no "story mode" or the like but a vast amount of pretty well written lore. Thief 1 + 2 are both great and Psychonauts (a brilliant platformer) has an excellent setting and atmosphere.

Edit: Should chuck in System Shock 1 + 2 as well... truly brilliant atmosphere in both games.
I've played Arcanum. I don't know if Planescape would be up my alley. It's a version of D&D I don't play. I'm not sure about Wasteland and Battle at Krondor. Didn't like Dark Massiah, and I hear Anachronox is an open love letter to JRPGs (a genre I'm kind of tired of) and I heard it ends on a large cliffhanger or setup to a sequel that never came because of Daikatana. :P

System Shock doesn't strike me as epic of scope. Doesn't mean it's bad, but I'm looking for big sprawling adventure. :

Null

( not sure if it has been mentioned yet )

Bioshock series? Great combat and graphics
I was younger then, I wasn't afraid of anything, I didn't think about dying for a second. I thought I was invincible. Then I met her. Before me, my world shattered. I wanted to live, I started to think like that; for the first time I was afraid of death. I had never felt like that before.

Inkidu

Quote from: Null on December 15, 2013, 09:05:14 PM
( not sure if it has been mentioned yet )

Bioshock series? Great combat and graphics
Yep, played all the Bioshocks

EDIT: Summoner is a no go. I don't have a PS2. :\

Sabby

The Wii has some great RPG's, like Xenoblade and Pandoras Tower.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on December 15, 2013, 11:29:24 PM
The Wii has some great RPG's, like Xenoblade and Pandoras Tower.
Don't have a Wii. :\

Null

I think I'm beginning to see the gravity of your dilemma here xD

Inkidu

Quote from: Null on December 16, 2013, 07:21:25 AM
I think I'm beginning to see the gravity of your dilemma here xD
Yeah, I'm poor and bored. :\

Sabby

Hmmm, you could try the Legacy of Kane games. I remember those being very epic in scale.

Shjade

Regarding the Thief games:
Quote from: Inkidu on December 15, 2013, 04:12:47 PM
Can't get a hold of it. Might not run on my computer too.

gog.com has them. http://www.gog.com/game/thief_gold http://www.gog.com/game/thief_2_the_metal_age http://www.gog.com/game/thief_3

$5 each at the moment, and gog's versions come patched to work with modern machines for the most part.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on December 16, 2013, 02:43:19 PM
Regarding the Thief games:
gog.com has them. http://www.gog.com/game/thief_gold http://www.gog.com/game/thief_2_the_metal_age http://www.gog.com/game/thief_3

$5 each at the moment, and gog's versions come patched to work with modern machines for the most part.
Well I'll look into it, but there's a reboot coming soon too?

Shjade

I don't know if it's a reboot or just a sequel. Don't see how it matters for playing the older games either way though. ;p
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on December 16, 2013, 04:16:44 PM
I don't know if it's a reboot or just a sequel. Don't see how it matters for playing the older games either way though. ;p
Well, if it's soon, I might as well get the bigger better more open one. :P