Drow Academy (D&D 3.5) - Please read for Q&A

Started by sleepingferret, March 26, 2014, 06:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: sleepingferret on March 27, 2014, 09:09:58 PM
Going back to the psionics issue.  I have no real ruling against them.  However, remember only the one House in all of the city was known to really have any association with them.  And for all intents and purposes they would be your only "teachers".  Yet by tradition and as well as pretty much city law, you would be sent to the Academy.  Your "learning" however would be more like our modern day reference to "sleeping in class", unless you chose to multi-class.  Your psionic growth would be more innate or done by learning for more powerful psionicists which only your house would have.

Okey doke, that works for me. I was thinking it might be fun to play as a member of House Oblodra since their long term future is nonexistent. Give things a nice touch of fatalism. My idea is to just take a level or two in a psionic class and then continue on as a cleric.

Countdown0

I have a correction to make. Contrary to my previous statement that I thought the Academy would exclude Drow commoners, all Drow of Menzoberranzan are required to attend schooling at Tier Breche.

This lends to the idea that most, if not all, female characters would be at least partly Clerics, or perhaps some other class whose spell casting is drawn from a divine source, since all mothers would want their daughters to become Priestesses of Lolth; what the father's wanted would at best be considered something worth duly noting, and more likely, irrelevant. Besides that, fathers would probably want their daughters to be Priestesses too, if only to make themselves look good.

Of course, noble born Drow would still likely be given preferential treatment over commoners... or they would be more likely targets for assassination. One or the other.
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

sleepingferret

That is correct all drow, commoner or noble alike are required to attend the Academy.  Nobles, those born to a Matron mother, regardless of "city rank" are given some "preference". 

Or well, commoners usually were usually the fighters that filled the house armies and a few minor clerics and wizards; most never rose much past their skill levels they achieved at the Academy.  This was mostly due to the strictness of the society, especially with the clerics and wizards, keeping tight control on more powerful abilities.

You may choose to play either commoner or noble.  For those interested in playing Masters at the Academy, you will obviously be of noble birth; as even being the lowliest "teacher" of the Academy had some prestige with it.

Blinkin

I've settled on a combat rogue/swashbuckler, with maybe a level of swordsage thrown in for the added effect in swashbuckling. I know this puts 2 rogues in the party, but that's never beeen  bad thing in a drow raiding party. All of that does, ofcourse, depend on the levels at start.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Countdown0

Multiple rogues in a drow party is probably a good thing, really. Twice as many chances to spot traps or ambushes, twice as many back stabs or other miscellaneous forms of sneak attacks, can't really think of a negative. Plus once we get up in levels a bit, it will make for some fun once my Wizard learns to cast invisibility.

Also, while reading through Drow of the Underdark, I've found an interesting suggestion in the book regarding female drow characters. Since Lolth resides in the abyss and is served by demons, drow Warlocks are considered favored by her, and a female drow warlock can attain similar ranking as a cleric, as long as they meet the same standards as the other priestesses, mostly because Warlocks can gain their power from demonic interactions. Just some food for thought for anyway wanting to play a female drow but not wanting to be a cleric.

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Kdyami

If there's still room for one more I'd like to throw my hat in.  Possibly something off the wall that hasn't been suggested, ranger, or barbarian maybe?
Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

Vanetias

sleepingferret

Quote from: Countdown0 on March 28, 2014, 05:14:52 AM
Multiple rogues in a drow party is probably a good thing, really. Twice as many chances to spot traps or ambushes, twice as many back stabs or other miscellaneous forms of sneak attacks, can't really think of a negative. Plus once we get up in levels a bit, it will make for some fun once my Wizard learns to cast invisibility.

Also, while reading through Drow of the Underdark, I've found an interesting suggestion in the book regarding female drow characters. Since Lolth resides in the abyss and is served by demons, drow Warlocks are considered favored by her, and a female drow warlock can attain similar ranking as a cleric, as long as they meet the same standards as the other priestesses, mostly because Warlocks can gain their power from demonic interactions. Just some food for thought for anyway wanting to play a female drow but not wanting to be a cleric.

That's partially incorrect.  Warlocks are indirect servants of Lolth, they serve her demon minions more than the Spider Queen directly.  And should a female of any status (or should she end up proving herself) whatsoever be a Warlock, she would become a priestess.  The recognition, power, and honor tied to being a priestess is something no female would pass up, with the way Menzoberranzan's society is ran.  The priestesses have all the power.

Any noble born (daughter(s) of a Matron mother) are going to be priestesses (at least primarily; multi-classing they can be anything else, but their cleric level is always going to be at least 1-2 levels higher than all other classes, for example cleric 5/fighter 4 or cleric 4/fighter 2/warlock 3.  Both 9th level characters.)

Female commoners, are usually just your house chapel tenders and ones who fill the prayer circles during large ceremonies.  And never really achieve "great" power.  Those that do or want a chance to, have to show some sort of talent and Lolth most give her blessing.  Society again places theses individuals as priestesses, because again that's where the power is.

Even the lowliest priestess commands some respect within the society, while those within her own ranks can "push" her around...none of the males can.  Only someone with a position and house behind them, such as the Archmage of Menzoberranzan, can really get away with sort of ignoring lower ranking priestesses.  And even then, he even has to watch his steps about how and where he does such things.  Or some of the other male Masters of the Academy could possibly get away with such things as well, but again it's the where, how, and also how far they push the limits.  If they cross a certain line, Lolth herself might just send one her handmaidens to intervene and slap the male back in line.  :P

For female characters looking for options my suggestion is to pick one other class, and keep it one level behind your cleric level.  While the 3.5 multi-classing rules mess things up a bit, the class it really messes things up for is fighters (or any other combat oriented class, looking to max out his/her attacks per round and base attack bonus, which you have to do by 20th level).  For everything else, such as spells per day... you can take till 10 millionth level to max out, because it is based on your class level.  Only your base attack bonus (and number of attacks per round) and original base saving throws are set in stone by 20th level; thereafter you only get bonuses per the rules in the Epic Level Handbook.  But all other class abilities, such as spells per day and what not are still determined by your class level, so multi-classing does not hurt spell-casting classes.

Quote from: Vanetias on March 28, 2014, 06:54:06 AM
What is the tech level in the city?

Not quite sure what exact sort of answer you're looking for.  I mean, if you're wanting to play with guns, flamethrowers, or that sort of thing...this isn't Warhammer 40K type stuff.

For any who do not know what/where Menzoberranzan (aka the City of Spiders) is.  Please see here: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Menzoberranzan

sleepingferret

Quote from: Kdyami on March 28, 2014, 06:22:47 AM
If there's still room for one more I'd like to throw my hat in.  Possibly something off the wall that hasn't been suggested, ranger, or barbarian maybe?

Someone wants to be the front line rage machine (or guide)?  Uh oh guys... better watch out, it's either the Black Hulk or the troublesome scout. :P

Kdyami

Quote from: sleepingferret on March 28, 2014, 12:31:53 PM
Someone wants to be the front line rage machine (or guide)?  Uh oh guys... better watch out, it's either the Black Hulk or the troublesome scout. :P

Lol I could definitly slant the character as an over eager zealot and  run him that way.  but i was thinking we didnt have an the opportunist nich filled was all.  got the sneaking and the magic and the fighting but every group needs a wild card :P
Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

RubySlippers

I'll be playing a resident from Duthcloim a commoner but not poorly places her mother a dealer in opiates and her father helps the family business, none CE the family is LE largely and worships Vhaeraun secretly.

She plans to move to the surface to one of the Vhaeraunian communities at some point.

sleepingferret

Generalized rules are up, though they still subject to change until the end of this weekend.  Ghostwheel and I are still working on discussing a couple of final things.  But to get some ideas running in your heads, and if you have any more specific questions, I wanted to get a few more details posted.

So please refer to my original post for further details.

Xanatos

I am potentially interested. I do love the Drow.

As for a Drow Barbarian(esque) character, I do not think the Drow have any. A Barbarian is generally a dumb fighter who runs in and just gets hit. The Drow would see a Barbarian as nothing but fodder and show him zero respect. He probably wouldn't make it more than a month in the academy before being accidentally or intentionally killed. He would almost certainly be seen as a liability; especially since the Drow value stealth above just running in and attacking.

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Xanatos on March 28, 2014, 04:14:57 PM
As for a Drow Barbarian(esque) character, I do not think the Drow have any. A Barbarian is generally a dumb fighter who runs in and just gets hit.

<snip>

He would almost certainly be seen as a liability; especially since the Drow value stealth above just running in and attacking.

I would heartily disagree on a number of points; first, I believe that flavor is mutable. You can play the barbarian as a dumb fighter who runs in and just gets hit, or you can play them as a light-armored fighter who capitalizes on their raw emotions to force their enemies into submission. What we have from mechanics is "For X rounds, gain +Y to str/con". We can easily reflavor that instead of the ability to intensely focus on yourself, "exceeding your body's limit" so to speak and pushing yourself to the edge of what is humanly possible which is quite often-used trope in many fantasy novels and sometimes even in real life.

Second, there's nothing that says that barbarians can't be sneaky--nothing forces them to roar and charge into battle. In fact, they're more likely to be sneaky than the fighter, who wears heavy armor, being limited to medium armor which has a lower ACP, and there's nothing stopping them from investing in Hide/Move Silently. Sure, it'll be at a lower rate than a rogue, but they aren't really forced to be un-sneaky.

Just my two cents :-)

Foxy DeVille

While he was a fighter in 2E, I'd say that Uthegentel Del'Armgo sounded more like a barbarian to me.

Countdown0

Quote from: Foxy Oni on March 28, 2014, 05:31:08 PM
While he was a fighter in 2E, I'd say that Uthegentel Del'Armgo sounded more like a barbarian to me.

Agreed. Plus, if you look hi up on the Forgotten Realms wiki... that thing about being able to ignore most mortal wounds sounds like a Frenzied Berzerker.

Anyway, I don't see a reason why a Drow couldn't be a Barbarian. Granted, they would probably be ridiculed behind their back, but really, which Drow isn't? :P

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Kdyami

Quote from: Countdown0 on March 28, 2014, 05:54:00 PM
Anyway, I don't see a reason why a Drow couldn't be a Barbarian. Granted, they would probably be ridiculed behind their back, but really, which Drow isn't? :P

Aww but I'll pout and maybe even cry...then remember I'm CE and smite my ridiculers :p

Anon315

I want to be a drow who lies, cheats, steals, backstabs, and otherwise weasels. Now if only I could pick a class... how are we feeling about necromancy? After all, you can't spell necromancer without romance.

sleepingferret

Quick reminder --

Rules for character creation right now are to be considered guidelines.  Nothing is officially set in stone.  If your concept fits within things as they are, feel free to proceed.  If a source-book is listed as dis-allowed, and you would like to have further review of things, Ghostwheel and myself will be discussing things, and final rulings will be posted by no later than Sunday.

Right now the goal is to have character creation and review done throughout this coming week and the weekend of April 5th - 6th.  And if all goes well, starting posts will go up by the evening of the 7th.

Muse

*Chuckles*  Might be kinda cool to do a barbarian with a dervish type spin. *Shrugs* 

For that matter, in 2nd edition one of the few classes that had a recognizable berserk ability were the drow specialty priests of Selvetarn. 

As to every drow female in mezoberanzin being a cleric?  I rather saw a lot of the female commoners not doing so.  You don't see many examples in the Salvatore books, but the best one would be House Banrae's elite guard.  They were fighter/mages.  In 3.5 we'd call them Abjurant Champions or Eldritch Knights. 

Anyways, I'm not trying to detract from Ferret's view of the setting. 

I'd probably glance over some of the 3.5 drow specific material before pitching anything.  I remember they had some really neat feats for using the pistol crossbow.  I had a great--if brief--time using those along with the Martial Rogue class from Unearthed Arcana. 

Speaking of Unearthed Arcana, Feret.  Would you consider the Drow Paragon class? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Blinkin

I've seen several examples of the Drow as a racial type with somewhat differing abilities and modifiers. Which one do you want us to use?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Ghostwheel

I'm guessing the 3.5 version of the race. You can see the racial abilities towards the bottom of the page.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Muse on March 28, 2014, 06:52:10 PM
*Chuckles*  Might be kinda cool to do a barbarian with a dervish type spin. *Shrugs* 

For that matter, in 2nd edition one of the few classes that had a recognizable berserk ability were the drow specialty priests of Selvetarn. 

As to every drow female in mezoberanzin being a cleric?  I rather saw a lot of the female commoners not doing so.  You don't see many examples in the Salvatore books, but the best one would be House Banrae's elite guard.  They were fighter/mages.  In 3.5 we'd call them Abjurant Champions or Eldritch Knights. 

Anyways, I'm not trying to detract from Ferret's view of the setting. 

I'd probably glance over some of the 3.5 drow specific material before pitching anything.  I remember they had some really neat feats for using the pistol crossbow.  I had a great--if brief--time using those along with the Martial Rogue class from Unearthed Arcana. 

Speaking of Unearthed Arcana, Feret.  Would you consider the Drow Paragon class?

First one my qualify for cleric if your wisdom is under 10 its not an option, second they may not be devout enough to even be granted powers.

Foxy DeVille

At this point I see my character as someone who acts immature and undisciplined so that other will underestimate her and not notice her insidious plans to gain power until it's too late. She's sorta like the Miley Cyrus of Menzoberranzan.

Countdown0

Quote from: Foxy Oni on March 28, 2014, 09:28:44 PM
At this point I see my character as someone who acts immature and undisciplined so that other will underestimate her and not notice her insidious plans to gain power until it's too late. She's sorta like the Miley Cyrus of Menzoberranzan.

I'm already terrified O.O

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's