Interest Check: Godbound (OSR)

Started by MadPanda, June 14, 2016, 12:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

Godbound is an upcoming OSR game that does for Exalted what Stars Without Number did for Traveler.  :-) 

The free PDF release candidate may be found here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4qCWY8UnLrcRGxjSmFqSWEyMk0

I have a loose idea for a setting that borrows from (among other sources) Immortal: the Invisible War, the rest of the Sine Nomine library, JAGS Wonderland, and the fanfiction, fiction, and published game setting of Thrythlind.  In short, instead of Exalted, I'm aiming for Scion!  Fortunately, since the Word of Bow also applies to guns, this won't take much of a change to achieve.

So in short...

Something has gone very, very wrong.  The ancient prisons put in place to hide certain unspeakable eldritch horrors are no longer sealed.  Portents are doom-laden and grim.  Thus one of the two ancient watchers set in place to keep an eye on the Fifth Age has activated one of those even more ancient protocols by pushing labeled 'do not push'...and now the gods are back, because the best way to defend against insanely powerful titanspawn is with insanely powered divine heroes.

You used to be human.  You used to have a normal life.  Now you're one of the Godborn, a divinely empowered hero standing between Humanity and a very messy end.

Won't this be fun?

= = =

Hoping For:

Three to five players who can post at least once a week.  Familiarity with OSR is a plus.

Rating:

I'd prefer Bondage at hardest (due to ugly personal experiences).  I'm quite happy to make it Exotic for those who want to cavort with the occasional Centaur.

Table's open for discussion!

Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Knarfy

Yeeeessssss. >: D

Exotic plz. No point in having magic powers if I cant breed an army of sex mutants :3
Godbound: Erry day I'm shillin' it
My O/O thread
Why isn't Knarfy posting? - probably because he is lazy
"The most iconic hentai is essentially Lovecraftian, in that it portrays sexual pleasure as beyond human comprehension, to which the only possible response is a descent into hedonistic madness." - Anonymous

MadPanda

Most definitely Exotic.  Much as I love furries, and you just can't have the fun Egyptian-motif godlings without Bast and Sekhmet.  Miau!

I'm still cobbling together bits and pieces of this idea as I go, but for those of you familiar with the official history for, say, Other Dust and Stars Without Number, The Scream happens a bit early this time around.  It doesn't upfark Humanity because the psi-tech of the Terran Mandate is still over a hundred years away, but there are a lot of sudden unexplained problems as latent psychic potential gets triggered...and blows a few safeguards left in place by the Saurian civilization that kept out the Great Old Ones.  Oops.  Good thing Nyarlathotep* is around to kickstart the apotheosis, huh?

(* "One of these days I'm going to summon that Lovecraft punk and I'm going to carve my True Name on his back with an icepick.  Couldn't even get the nickname right!")

In Memory of Bishrook

Knarfy

Neat

So I like the general sound of this setting, but I am curious as to the specifics (obviously).

From what you've said so far, it's some flavor of Earth ranging from modern to near to far future, and bad things have recently started happening. Because cosmic contingencies, divine power is unleashed, and some people become godbound. (for better or for worse :P)

So I guess,

• Is it modern Earth, or more future-y? (or is it Earth at all for that matter)
  • Is human civilization still intact, or is this post-apocalyptic?
  • Has humanity expanded beyond Earth or the solar system? (or will there be space travel?
  • How much, if any, of the core cosmology and setting are you going to retain? For example, is everything still powered by divine mechanisms churning away in heaven? Are the angels still a thing?

I'm not super tied to any one answer (or even these questions) I just wanna know more  :D
My O/O thread
"The most iconic hentai is essentially Lovecraftian, in that it portrays sexual pleasure as beyond human comprehension, to which the only possible response is a descent into hedonistic madness." - Anonymous

MadPanda

Still forming up, but in brief...

It's Near Now, and while Bad Things have happened, it's still mostly recognizable.  Civilization hasn't fallen apart or anything...yet.  But (just as in any good superhero comic book) they also aren't quite the same.  If you can drive from Gotham to Metropolis and pass New York on the way, you're probably not in Kansas anymore.  :-)

Humanity is still on Earth.

The Cosmology is going to be different...pulling very heavily from JAGS Wonderland and Ah! My Goddess on this one.  Because the Scream has  crashed both  the Yggdrasil and Niddhog networks and the Department of Works is failing rapidly.  Oops.  Hence the backup contingency of Godbound.  I'll be using the stats, even if the names of the specific beasties are a bit different.

That, and you get to deal with Nyarlathotep.   :D

In Memory of Bishrook

Rook Seidhr

If it didn't draw so heavily on anime I only recognize by name, I might be interested.

MadPanda

That's all mostly meant as just background info and inspirational material.  I doubt the PCs will need to know any of the particulars until they are poking around in the proverbial guts of the 'verse...   :D  From the PCs' point of view, this should be more like a regular game of Scion without the overbearing presence of other gods to pass out errands like candy.

In Memory of Bishrook

Knarfy

Yea, I'm only vaguely familiar with like, half that material to be honest. But I don't think it will be a problem.

Really it just means it will be more interesting to dig into how the cosmos works, since I won't have too many preconceptions ;D
My O/O thread

Zenkai

I'm familiar with Scion, and Godbound looks awesome.  So colour me extremely interested.

And... Exotic+Bondage sounds good. I want an army of Vukodlak (Werewolves from slavic folklore). Woof.

MadPanda

I can't promise how close this'll be, since the setting's still pretty loose and in the formative stages.  The Third Age is officially part of the backstory, though.  Sort of.   :D

One idea is to mandate that your power-up comes as the result of arcane disasters, like ley lines suddenly realigning and the mana backlash doing bad things, or somebody opening something they shouldn't and the neighborhood getting blasted by the emerging energy.  You get to choose and narrate that event...but it should not be something subtle and hard to spot.

Unless you want me to lay my hand upon you, in which case I have something ready to go.

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

I think I'm interested, MP, although I don't know anything about OSR. If my phone cooperates I'll start reading this Godbound thing and try to make sense of it.

MadPanda

If you can play the OGL 3.x thing, you can play OSR.  It's what D&D was before WotC added a ton of bells and whistles.  :-)

(nostalgic panda is nostalgic)

Back when Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling were Classes, there were only three alignments, and you could fit a first level PC on an index card...and you didn't have to walk two hundred miles to the next dungeon until 4th level, because the wilderness rules were in the next boxed set. (/nostalgia)

;D

Kidding aside, the nice thing about OSR is not that they're the greatest rules ever, or the perfect model, but that the mechanics are for the most part very familiar.  You roll 4d6 for six attributes, dropping the lowest die.  You roll 1d20 to hit.  You have Hit Points and Saving Throws.  Should sound kinda familiar, neh?  And that, in a nutshell, is why Mr. Crawford went OSR for his games.

'Course, the exceptions to that familiarity will trip you up, so pay close attention to the damage rules.

In Memory of Bishrook

Zenkai

Quote from: MadPanda on June 16, 2016, 08:48:34 AM
... arcane disasters, like ley lines suddenly realigning and the mana backlash doing bad things, or somebody opening something they shouldn't and the neighborhood getting blasted by the emerging energy.  You get to choose and narrate that event...but it should not be something subtle and hard to spot.

how large a disaster are we talking about here? Is it the opening of a book that levels a single house, or an earthquake that leaves entire cities crisscrossed with lava/filled chasms disgorging screaming demons?

I had the idea for an oak forest, full moon, mass hysteria, and so on, just like the myth says. It might be too subtle to qualify as a disaster. Then again, there could be magical explosions, rivers turning to blood, and stuff...

Will there be any house rules for chargen?

MadPanda

No specific house rules on char-gen, but if you need help coming up with an occupation for your second Fact there's a lovely random table in Silent Legions that fits the bill.

Given the epic scale of the game, which can have the PCs rewriting large swaths of the setting to suit themselves, I'm leaning toward the latter.  :-)  But I ought to clarify that the PCs are most of the Godborne in the setting, so while your trigger might well be Big and Loud, it's also mostly local.  So trash your home neighborhood, but not the whole state/province/country unless you lived in Andorra or Lichtenstein.

"Subtle" like a sudden oak forest where there wasn't one before?  That'd be awesome.

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

Wait, is OSR the same thing as in Scarlet Heroes? I knew I should've actually read that book, but it's still on the shelf with a lot of others.

Anyway, reading now. I have some vague character ideas but I will read how the rules work before I go much further there. Still, Scion-ish but with playable rules sounds like a great idea (and more than I really expect out of Onyx Path ever).

Also, just use the Elliquiy diceroller if we roll for stats?

MadPanda

Scarlet Heroes uses very similar mechanics, yes.  (Just be warned that some Boss Monsters are powerful enough to inflict damage-as-rolled instead of the more limited scale...)

go ahead and use the die roller.  I'll get some threads up.

In Memory of Bishrook

Zenkai

Quote from: MadPanda on June 16, 2016, 11:59:28 AM
No specific house rules on char-gen, but if you need help coming up with an occupation for your second Fact there's a lovely random table in Silent Legions that fits the bill.

"Subtle" like a sudden oak forest where there wasn't one before?  That'd be awesome.

rolled on that table... got "professor". huhm.

so as for the bang, there's be a sudden oak forest intertwined with the 20,000 inhabitant town, grown into being during a night of full moon. Shapes slunk and darted between the shadows those trees cast, people screamed, many lost their sanity, and one woman suddenly woke up - her eyes filled with moonlight.

I'm thinking of making some sort of teacher turned feral seductress, centered on the Animal word and the Conquer the Beast Within gift. The other two words could be Passion and Alaricity.

Thoughts?

MadPanda

Oh, yeah, that works.  Beautiful!  Is Russian, like the folklore?

+ + +

And we're partially up!

Godbound: Fifty-two Pickup OOC and Game Chatter  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=251223.0

Godbound: Fifty-two Pickup Cast Thread https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=251224.0

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

I'm kinda thinking my character will be a New Yorker, and Central Park isn't looking so great these days.

Tentatively, he was down on his luck (and less than healthy) until suddenly being catapulted to and beyond the peak of humanity. Kinda thinking Might, Endurance, and possibly Wealth (or Artifice?) for all manner of no-longer-working-class heroism and revelry, but I do need to think of more concrete goals for him.

(And knowing me, I'll probably come up with a different idea by the time I get home tonight anyway.)

Knarfy

Gha! All this good discussion happening while im at work >:/

I was thinking of doing some kind of wild-thing with beasts and fertility or something, but it might end up something else. Who knows :P
My O/O thread

Jefepato

I'm at work too. I don't really see the problem here. ;)

Anyway, yeah I think I'm going with a Might/Endurance/Artifice mechanic. Ten Thousand Tools alone sounds ridiculously fun to misuse.

Knarfy

Oooo, I actually have a fun idea for maybe command/luck and maybe wealth or something...
My O/O thread

MadPanda

Quote from: Jefepato on June 16, 2016, 04:30:03 PM
Ten Thousand Tools alone sounds ridiculously fun to misuse.

Just remember, the more violence you do to my plots, the faster I have to get...creative...to challenge you.  Heh heh heh.

We may have to decide on a plot-to-yiff ratio at some point.

In Memory of Bishrook

Knarfy

My O/O thread

Jefepato

Quote from: MadPanda on June 16, 2016, 05:09:49 PM
Just remember, the more violence you do to my plots, the faster I have to get...creative...to challenge you.  Heh heh heh.
I will destroy your plots and then rebuild them at 1000x the speed of a mortal laborer, all while pulling replacement parts out of the air as part of the action in which I use them!

Anyway, time to make some stat rolls and pray for a good dice day.

And so I get:
14, 13, 13, 11, 11, 7.

For fuck's sake.  I should have just taken the standard array (can I still do that?).