The Wasteland (D&D 3.5e, NC-Exotic)

Started by Maegan, February 05, 2011, 10:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maegan

The war had left the continent a ravaged and twisted wasteland.  Powerful magic users had tossed spells about with no care for those caught in the middle, killing, warping, or simple erasing millions.  Those few that survived found themselves in a land populated more by monster than man.

The spell had been unleashed in the early years of the war in an attempt by the Temporal Wizard to win an early victory.  Thousands had been thrown out of time, vanishing as if utterly destroyed.  It wouldn't be for nearly twenty-five years, sixteen after the end of the war, that they would reappear in the wasteland that had once been their home.

The game's focus will mostly be on survival, however depending on how things go I may introduce a village or group of refugees for the party to lead/protect.  I would prefer characters are from the past (and have no memory of the war or aftermath), but may accept one or two survivors.

This is a 1st level D&D 3.5e game.  I am only allowing the use of the PHB and DMG for character creation. 
32 points for the point buy system.
Max gold for your class.

I will be accepting up to six characters.  I may accept one additional player who is interested in playing one or more villains.

Sexual content may occur, and interested players need to be comfortable with non-consensual situations with exotic partners.

--

The city of Westermist had once sat near the center of Aldbarrow Valley, along the banks of the Fayhollow River.  Now, little remained.  The mountains that lined the valley to the east and west were shattered, their peaks jagged and broken.  The river was nothing but a tiny rivulet of sickly yellow liquid.  The valley was a wasteland of mud, not even a single blade of grass or tree left to fill a region that had once fed thousands.  Of the city only a crater, half filled with the same sickly yellow liquid as the river, remained. 

There was a bright flash of light as the spell reached its end and released a half dozen men and women from its grasp.  They fell through the air, landing in knee-deep mud on the edge of the massive crater.  Above them, almost in time with their arrival, thick clouds released a drizzle of frigid rain. 

Meliai

Oooooooh, very interesting concept!

When you say "I would prefer characters are from the past (and have no memory of the war or aftermath)" though, do you mean the spell affected people from before the war started, or just that they vanished at the very beginning of the war?

In any case I think I have an idea for a Wizard, I'll mull it over a bit and send you a PM.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Maegan

Funguy81

I'm interested in the idea! I would definitely play a human fighter for the group.

Ebb

I'm interested as well, and am writing up an Elven rogue. He had just gotten into the local thieves guild before the war started, and was looking forward to moving up the ranks. That's all gone to hell now, though. More details to come.

schnookums

Very interested as well, interested in playing a human druid, or maybe a cleric if needs be

Ixy

I'd like to express my interest; I'm interested in playing a half-orc barbarian or an elven ranger.  The ranger would be a collateral target, possibly a patrolling game-warden or independent hunter whose village was erased from history in the war.  Alternately, the barbarian would have been a scout/patrol or, possibly, even a deserter from her tribe due to her constant awareness of difference from those around her.  Would either of these be appropriate for what you have in mind?

Maegan

Wizard, Fighter, Rogue.

A cleric or druid would probably be fine.

Either of your ideas could work Ixy.  The Ranger may fit in easier, but either could be quite useful especially if they have points in the Survival skill.

Ixy

Awesome.  If you can give us a rough idea of what guidelines you'd like us to use for creation level and method, and I'm sure we can be ready when you are.  :)

Maegan

This is a 1st level D&D 3.5e game.  I am only allowing the use of the PHB and DMG for character creation. 
32 points for the point buy system.
Max gold for your class.

Let me know if you need any other information to create your character.

Eshva

Are there any spots still open for this?
“Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and adventures are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes and forgotten”
Neill Gaiman

Creeper

I'll have history and stuff up later.

QuoteGlowie
Gnome Cleric 1
Neutral Good

Strength    8   (-1)
Dexterity    12   (+1)
Constitution    16   (+3)
Intelligence    12   (+1)
Wisdom    16   (+3)
Charisma    14   (+2)

Size:    Small
Height:    3' 4"
Weight:    42 lb
Skin:    Tan
Eyes:    Blue
Hair:    Light Brown

Domains: Plant Travel

Energy: Positive [Healing / Turns Undead]

Total Hit Points: 11

Speed: 15 feet [armor]

Armor Class: 16 = 10 +4 [scale] +1 [dexterity] +1 [small]

Touch AC: 12
      Flat-footed: 15

Initiative modifier:   +1   = +1 [dexterity]
Fortitude save:   +5   = 2 [base] +3 [constitution]
Reflex save:   +1   = 0 [base] +1 [dexterity]
Will save:   +5   = 2 [base] +3 [wisdom]
Attack (handheld):   +0   = 0 [base] -1 [strength] +1 [small]
Attack (unarmed):   +0   = 0 [base] -1 [strength] +1 [small]
Attack (missile):   +2   = 0 [base] +1 [dexterity] +1 [small]
Grapple check:   -5   = 0 [base] -1 [strength] -4 [small]

Light load:
Medium load:
Heavy load:
Lift over head:
Lift off ground:
Push or drag:
   20 lb. or less
20-40 lb.
41-60 lb.
60 lb.
120 lb.
300 lb.

Languages:   Common Gnome Orc

Morningstar [1d6, crit x2, 3 lb, one-handed, bludgeoning/piercing]

Light Crossbow [1d6, crit 19-20/x2, range inc 80 ft., 2 lb, piercing]]

Scale mail [medium; +4 AC; max dex +3; check penalty -4; 15 lb.]

Feats:

Point Blank Shot   

Traits:

Appraise    1

Balance  1

Bluff       2

Climb   -1

Concentration  5

Diplomacy     4

Disguise    2

Escape Artist     1

Forgery 1

Gather Information    2

Heal  7

Hide     5

Intimidate 2

Jump     -10

Listen     5

Move Silently    1

Ride 1

Search 1

Sense Motive    3

Spot     3

Survival    7

Swim    -1

Use Rope    1

* = check penalty for wearing armor

Zero-level Cleric spells: 3 per day

First-level Cleric spells: 2 (1+1) per day, +1 from a domain:

Gnome:

* +2 constitution / -2 strength (already included)

* Small (combat bonuses, +4 to hide already included)

* Low-light vision

* +2 racial bonus on saves vs. illusions

* +1 on DC of opponent's save vs. gnomish illusions

* +1 racial bonus to hit kobolds and goblinoids

* +4 dodge bonus on AC against giants

* +2 bonus on listen checks (already included)

* Speak with burrowing animals once per day

* 1/day dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation

Cleric:

* Alignment Aura

* Spontaneous Casting (heal)

* Turn Undead (5x/day)

* High wisdom gains bonus spells daily

* Domain choices give additional abilities

Equipment:

20 lb
      3 lb
      2 lb
      1 lb

1 lb
      1 lb
      1 lb
      2 lb
      1 lb
      5 lb
      2 lb
      4 lb
      2 lb
      _____
      45 lb   Weapons / Armor / Shield (from above)
      Crossbow bolts (quiver of 10) x3
      Backpack
      Bedroll
      Chalk
      Flint and steel
      Lamp (common)
      Mirror
      Pouch x2
      Rations (1 day) x5
      Soap
      Tent
      Torches x2
      Waterskins x4
      Spell component pouch
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

Ixy

mythweavers link: Cael'ama Fara'hel (Fara)
Female NG Elf Ranger, Level 1, Init +4, HP 8/8, Speed 30
AC 19, Touch 14, Flat-footed 15, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus 1   
  Longsword +2 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
  00bow (40) +5 (1d8, x3)
  Chain Shirt,   Light Wooden Shield (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +4 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10
Condition None

Maegan

Quote from: Eshva on February 06, 2011, 02:58:59 PM
Are there any spots still open for this?

There is still one slot left I believe if you want to join.   

schnookums

Should I just post a sheet here like others seem to be doing?

Maegan

If you'd like.  I am more interested in concepts and backgrounds at this point, but will put up a character sheet thread at some point.

Ebb

Here's the character background; Maegan has the numbers.

Nevorim Ellanstar, "Nev" to his friends, is an elf from the city, born and bred. His ancestors may have roamed through the forest, but he himself has never left Westermist for more than a day. He enjoys the creature comforts that come with proper civilization - wine, tobacco, and a warm fire. The quickest, easiest route to financial security was to join the Westermist thieves' guild. Nevorim does not like to kill, but is comfortable with stealing, and has a somewhat romanticized view of what a 'gentleman thief' ought to be. He tends to rely more on his natural talents than hard work.

Nevorim stands five feet tall, with long jet-black hair and milky skin. He has a slim build that leads one to overlook his wiry strength. Nevorim is missing one tooth, from an unfortunate run-in with a local bully, and is somewhat self-conscious about how this affects his appearance.

Nevorim was on a mission for the guild when he was snatched by the temporal spell. He was crouched on a narrow balcony with his bow, functioning as a lookout as a more senior thief broke into a spice merchant's second floor storehouse.

[1st lvl Elven Rogue, Chaotic Good]

Ixy: Assuming the GM's fine with it, would you like to have some shared background? Perhaps Nev is from the same village as Fara, but rejected the more traditional way of life to run off to the city. I'm fine with tweaking background if it gives rise to better roleplay.

Funguy81

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=273610

My character is named Brakus Calab. He trained his entire life to become a soldier for his country, hoping one day to attain the rank of officer like his father. He is highly disciplined, and focused his training in the use of a spear. Despite its simplicity in its use, he managed to utilize it in a way most front line soldiers could not in their basic training in the use of weapons. In the early years of the war he became old enough to join among the front line ranks, and was about to enter his first true battle when the time surge exploded among the battlefield. Brakus himself was among the many men and women that was taken away from the plane of existance thanks to this spell.

(since i dont know the lands yet, the gm can tell me which land he can come from.  ;D)

Ixy

Quote from: Ebb on February 06, 2011, 07:47:30 PM
Ixy: Assuming the GM's fine with it, would you like to have some shared background? Perhaps Nev is from the same village as Fara, but rejected the more traditional way of life to run off to the city. I'm fine with tweaking background if it gives rise to better roleplay.

Sounds like an excellent idea-- like you said, if Maegan approves.  It'd at least make a neat setup to help draw the party together and create minor friction.

Maegan

I'm fine with shared backgrounds.

Funguy81, we can just have your character a soldier of Westermist.

schnookums

Okay, will have a character idea posted tonight when I get home. Think I'm going to go druid for this.

schnookums

Nadia was an unusual druid compared to many of the practitioners of the old faith. While most of her colleagues were more of the 'survival of the fittest' types, she presented the more 'gentle' side of nature. Given her kindheartedness she was often helping farmers and folks who lived close to nature, doing what she could to minimize the encroachment humans made upon nature without being overly antagonistic about it. She was ill prepared to fight any sort of battle at first, although she did have her training to fall back on, but she mainly would take a supporting role where conflict called upon. Of course, the war made it harder and harder to avoid direct confrontation, and as gentle natured as she was she wasn't a coward either. Like many others she was unprepared for the shift in time, and will likely end up horrified at what the natural world has become in her absence...

Maegan

Muse

Is there a slot remaining?  This sounds like fun.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Eshva

You can have mine, I keep wanting to play a game, but I get stumped every time I sit down to make a character.
“Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and adventures are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes and forgotten”
Neill Gaiman