Unknown Armies 3E - CLOSED

Started by nailcrosser, February 11, 2017, 03:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nailcrosser

Ty: Thanks for checking. I imagine there will be times when a character has no charges left and their Adept Identity can be used to, realistically, help them in a situation. Without Mob Gopher, a viaturge should still have a good chance at passing a stunt driving check, for instance.

Quote from: LordRod on February 28, 2017, 12:58:43 PM
So I read the summary of the system on Wiki Pedia....it more or less makes sense, but I'm unclear on how many points I have for each attribute, and how MANY Obsessions I can take; ie the basics of the numbers I am working on.

Also...unsure if this is thread I should post to.  Love the idea of this char though :D

Say hi to LordRod, everyone. He has a great Candyman avatar idea. Think mystic healing Willy Wonka who will make the whole world taste good.

Ty

Heya LordRod. I assume nailcrosser is talking all the relevant system stuff to you.

Guess it's getting time to pin fluttering ideas down to a sheet. Kind of sad.

LordRod

"What could go wrong?" :D :D :D

And sounds good :D Glad to be aboard
Glory is being Great and being Useful - Simon Bolivar

Because its There - Sir Edmund Hillary

"The Lord of the Mans of Rod" - Me, spelling everything write and still getting the sentence wrong.

On and Offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=265306.0

Alistair Leonhart

Heya! That character sounds like a blast, to be honest, looking forward to see how the archetype turns out to be. As for the adept identity thingy, while it´s not something that´s in the book, to be fair someone obsessed with cars to the point they can´t function without them is not going to be bad at car trivia or car chases. Could get a bit abstract at times with some of the schools (like motumancy and such) but still it´s a pretty original idea in my opinion.

nailcrosser

Also, quick clarification:

Each Shock Meter starts with a single hard notch. The five I mentioned in the sheet can be applied on top of the initial starting set.

LordRod

Haven't read the rules yet, but I'm assuming then standard chargen PLUS another notch as the only variant?

"The Lord of the Mans of Rod" - Me, spelling everything write and still getting the sentence wrong.

Alistair Leonhart

So, how many relationships do we start out with? One with every PC plus one with the cabal in itself or someone outside of it (would be four in this case)? Two, three?

Alistair Leonhart

Ty

Normal gen gives you a relationship to the Cabal. And one to another PC. Note there are only five types of relationship and I think you only have one of each. Might have to wait until later. It's a very collab thing.

Alistair Leonhart

That´s why I was asking, although I believe it also gave you a relationship to a GMC (a magick mentor in my case) so I was kinda confused. Well, I may have to wait until I see the other player´s characters, but so far it wouldn´t be too far off to say your character and mine know each other. Both are criminals, at least one of them has a good network on which he can find the other one, and their specialties compliment each other (hitman/can-play-bodyguard and driver/smuggler). Not to mention both being adepts, although it would put them in a hilarious situation since they use different magick schools ("The meaning of this world lies in chaos and entropy!" "Dude, are you serious?! Can´t you see it´s all about cars?!") And such :V

Ty

How long has your guy been around the business in San Diego? What's his treatment of women like? He might be trying to keep her safe, with a Responsibility relationship, or thing she's looking up to him for advice and help as a Protege. Note, these are how He feels.

Dom(inque), my driver believes in paying back debts she owes, so she might have Responsibility to him if he's saved her ass a few times.

Another possiblity for relationships is to try and circle-jerk them, so each of the four has a strong tie to the next. But the tie to the cabal (which is presumably what the whole phonecall setup sets up?) might give enough stability for us not to need that to keep the party dynamic going.

EDIT : Oh, and I've mentioned here, and asked nail in PM, but just to double-check while it's not too hard to rewrite backgrounds, anyone have an issue with me playing a woman? My male RPG characters have a tendency to be a stoic Dad/Cleric/VoiceOfReason. Which is harder to work with Adepts, and spooky objectives and fucking up the world in our own image.

Alistair Leonhart

Around the business as in, the hitman stuff? Probably a few months, barely enough to build up some skill at what he does and a bit of street rep, not much more than any slightly known thug would have. Someone only known as The Batter and wearing full uniform with bat and all tends to make people remember him. As for women, he´s not super courteous or anything, but he´s normally cheery and nice to people he knows, them included. Despite how brutal his "job" can get, he believes in having fun and simply not being an ass to people in his circle of pals. A bit of a snarkypants, maybe, but not an asshole.

He´s likely to have saved her (and probably vice-versa, since she could bail him out of danger if working together) but he´s not likely to consider her his Protege unless she actually shows sign of looking up to him. Otherwise it would be a Responsibility mutual relationship, where she tries to repay her debt and he tries to keep her safe during their "operations". If that was the case I´d have 60% in that relationship, otherwise it would vary, lowest being Mentor at 45%. But I´ve set that one to the cabal itself, since they´re teaching me more about the occult underground, which I find interesting and ripe with opportunities to feel the thrill of danger. 

Edit: No problem! I don´t tend to mind much people playing the opposite sex if it´s not a smut-heavy RP.

Ty

I've hashed out a bunch of stuff with Nail and almost got my sheet finished. He suggested Dom possibly having introduced your guy (does he have a name yet?) to both the mob and magic and we can almost certainly sort something out with that if you want. But if you'd rather it be an NPC, or one of the other players that's cool too. Dom's mostly in with the mob because her brothers a vicious up and comer, and he doesn't really trust anyone else to have his back after his first wheelman tried to run off with a boot full of drugs.

Currently thinking she'll have him as a protege, regardless of his opinion (partially just because of slots). He's another weirdo trying to make his way, so she feels like she should help him out, like her guru helped her out. Of course, he doesn't have to have a relationship to her at all, if it's easier to set something up with LordRod or Kythia.

And of course, feel free to PM me about this if it's easier or whatever.

LordRod

Alright, the bad news is the email ran out, the good news is I'm just going to buy the game since I always wanted it anyway and will send something tmrw likely.

Thanks

Ty

Email can run out?

On buying a copy, to get 3rd edition, I'm not sure what the easiest way to get it is. Though 2e is a fun read, and has a bunch of magicks not in 3e but compatible with, various systems have changed. 'Pre-ordering' digital version through backerkit should probably get you the PDF immediately, if it doesn't I can toss you a copy of mine. If money is tight or whatever, you should only really need Book 1 as a player.

nailcrosser

Quote from: LordRod on March 02, 2017, 11:24:59 AM
Alright, the bad news is the email ran out, the good news is I'm just going to buy the game since I always wanted it anyway and will send something tmrw likely.

Thanks

Shoot, I didn't know those ran out. I was too lazy to remember my email password for E stuff. I can send you the book again if you'd like.

Kythia

OK.  I ma massively behind but will hopefully not be for much longer.  What do people want/need from me.  Sorry about the delays.

Ty

Hope you get some more time in a bit. There's nothing urgent, just a lot of unknowns about your character at the moment.

He attitude to criminals would seem pretty relevant at the moment. Maybe what she's currently claiming Kingship of and her general approach to that.
And of course, if there's any hooks or leads you want to toss out to other players.

But no pressure if other stuff is claiming priority.

Kythia

It was, it no longer is.  Hence my plans to be no longer "Little Miss Not Contributing"

So let me quickly answer some of that as a start to a conversation.

She's a Shift leader on the Customs team at the commercial docs in San Diego - I'm assuming there's a pretty clear distinction between the commerical and the passenger docks.  The commercial docks are her True Queendom (lets pretend that's a phrase) .  Her particular interest and projected area of control is about how the ruler of a region can gain power not by having a strong military (the security guards at the docks) or anything like that, but by controlling the flow of goods and availability of things.  An example I used in a conversation with nailcrosser is the power to flood San Diego with heroin or to almost totally cut off the supply.  So interested in trade like the Merchant but differing in that it's the power and prestige that controlling those things brings rather than the art of the deal itself.

Her obsession is about the docks running smoothly.  Regardless of the legality or illegality of the business conducted there, it must be done in a sensible and orderly fashion with her and her officers having their appropriately sanctioned reward - the wages they receive, the bribes they potentially receive, all the rest of it.  No chais, or people running around or strikes or anything like that.  Smooth and hassle free.

She's Latina (and thinking about it - nailcrosser, do I need a "I'm Latina of course I can speak Spanish?"  How are you handling languages, I want to be truly bilingual which realistically means an identity granting either Spanish or English at 100% - no matter how stressed she is she never forgets how to be able to talk).

No specific hooks, but honestly I'm not up to date on everyone else's characters yet so there may be some that occur.

As with a few others, I need some clarity on what connections to create.

Alistair Leonhart

My character being Cuban, I believe I included "Of course I can speak Spanish fluently, although with some accent, weird jargon and a bit too fast for some to understand on the first go" in his Ex-MLB Cuban Batter identity, but the language thing is a good question. How are languages handled?

The concept of the character seems pretty interesting. Kind of an unique take on the True King archetype. Or maybe I´ve never seen more than the usual King of Thugs of 4th Street or whatever. But all in all sounds fun to have around and also explains our biggest concern, her opinion about not-so-legal activities.

Ty

That's pretty understandable. The pragmatic "Right? Wrong? I care about my people." seems a good angle.

Currently my character, Dom, is a woman of mexican descent, kind of a mixture of relevant minority for gang/mob stuff, some street background that's faded a bit, and whim. Sadly I'm ignorant of Spanish myself, so please forgive me in that regard. (Or let me know if it's an issue and I'll tweak stuff). Sadly almost any American game is going to have some weird moments of my characters talking funny. She's a Viaturge (Car adept), and a driver/errand runner/smuggler for her brother who is working his way up a gang of nail's choosing. I can shoot over her current background blurb if you want.

I'm assuming languages are mostly done on a common sense kind of thing, unless it's meant to be a clear advantage or whatever. OTOH, would fit as a Unique Feature for an identity, to just always manage that thing unrolled, like rock stars attracting groupies, being able to fly a hot air balloon, whatever.

Kythia

I'm a non Spanish speaking Brit as well, so we can just forgive each other.

If all our characters speak Spanish, is this worth a handwave?

Alistair Leonhart

I mean, I don´t think it should go as far as to affect mechanical stuff like Features. If the player can speak English and Spanish, and thus can roleplay speaking Spanish, why should it be a limited Feature? If you want help with Spanish, like phrases or anything, you can ask me Ty, I´m Cuban myself so I can help ya out with that. And I have no real issue with you not really knowing Spanish, I find quite funny when someone who mainly speaks English tries to say something in Spanish without really knowing, it´s hilarious. "Get the gringo!"

Ty

It feels below the abstraction layer to me. But up to Nail, I guess.

And if you really need a non-gendered term, Domain I think it what the book calls what you are True King of?

Thanks for understanding, Alistair. It's a concern with contemprary games in general, but I find most people are nice reasonable people (OOC at least. :P)

Alistair Leonhart

Aced that test! Alright, I finally have lots upon lots of free time to nerd out in here :P

No prob Ty, I seriously don´t mind a lotta stuff. And most others can simply be discussed and agreed upon. Also, Kythia, since your character also speaks Spanish, if you need any help with that as well just lemme know, I´m the local translator, here to serve xD In fact any of you guys can ask, I´m cool with that.

If any of you want a bit of a character rundown or anything, Alex/The Batter is a former Cuban MLB Batter who played in the capital´s team, got thrown out unfairly due to the media putting mildly incriminating pictures of him out of context in newspaper and TV, and causing quite the uproar among his fans (thus him being fired to save face for the rest of the team), traveled to the US, became an Entropomancer and currently works as a hitman over the deep web, carrying out well-paid contracts and being slightly renowned among clients for efficient, painful and specially, "accidental" deaths (thus the need for a catchy nickname like The Batter. Fits in with other nicks like The Fruit or The Freak.). He´s usually just a fun-loving guy with a few death wishes and a Brooklyn Smasher on a Bat Pack.