News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Crow

I played the Final Fantasy: Bro Roadtrip Demo with some mixed feelings. Liking the open world exploration, but kinda hope combat gets to be more dynamic later on. And you know... more characters than 4 guys that love to shop at... whatever store is like Hot Topic in that universe. Guess we will wait and see...

Type 0 is a blast if one can get around occasional camera annoyances. The story and history is pretty interesting to me. I'm kind of a sucker for political intrigue, betrayal and drama. Kinda stuck in a leveling rut, though.

Galactic Druid

Started Type-0 last night. I'm still trying to get used to the gameplay, but so far, it's definately unique for an FF game. I have high hopes though. Can't wait to try the XV demo tonight.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Oreo

I want to play, but am still brain slow/pain muddled. I couldn't figure out the attack buttons for Type-0. It's really hard to wait.

Presently loading the patches for Defiance (free with Gold) to try with a friend. : )

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

King Serperior

Well, after getting somewhat bored with my Argonian Conjuration Mage, I decided to start a new game on Skyrim and play as Deltoro, an Orc who focuses on Heavy Armor, Two-Handed weapons, and Smithing with a pinch of Archery, Enchanting, and Alchemy mixed in for good measure.

Just defeated the first dragon at the tower with ease and am going to have a little fun with sidequests.  Sadly, I still don't have Dawnguard or Dragonborn DLCs.  *sigh*

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Oreo on March 22, 2015, 03:31:27 PM
Presently loading the patches for Defiance (free with Gold) to try with a friend. : )

I still need to finish watching the first season of that.... Julie Benz is a goddess! (Totally un-game related) Currently I'm bouncing around between Dragonball Xenoverse and Borderlands The Pre-Sequel... Though I did pick up Akiba's Trip Undead and Undressed....

msa24680

I know I'm late on this, but a couple of my friends finally convinced me to play Dark Souls.  Man... so many emotions with that game.   And so many censored words.

Inkidu

I have wasted time on many thing in my life, but I have regretted few of them more than the hours spent on the Dark Souls games.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Lustful Bride

Sasquatch421

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 17, 2015, 12:40:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwWLns7-xN8

Meh... I'm honestly a huge Star Wars fan, the only one I wasn't to when it first came out was A New Hope... The thing is I'm not big on online multiplayer as most people on line are assholes anymore. No SP campaign, or space battles? No thanks.... Not even a Galactic Conquest, but knowing EA the space battles and Galactic Conquest will be DLC that you have to pay how much for along with every other planet other then the 4 that will be in the original game...

Back on the topic at hand though I just picked Deus Ex: Human Revolution back up again... It came with Thief and Hitman: Absolution, but I plan another play through as the totally badass Adam Jensen again. Especially now that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is announced and on the way....

Twisted Crow

I'm looking forward to playing that again on XB1.... you know, whenever it happens to be released in November.

Now comes the Star Wars story ideas in my brain. Pfft. Curse you, fickle brain of mine.

marblesoda

Injustice was okay. The storyline was meh, but most of the characters are interesting to play as, even if I only play as Zod and Lex Luthor. :P

"Kneel before Zod!" Oh honey, you don't have to ask me twice.
"Do you know what that really means? A knight in shining armor?" "A hero who saves the day." "No. A knight in shining armor never did nothing for nobody. He never fought. A knight in dented, scraped armor, now that's what you want."

Mathim

Quote from: Eranil Morathim on March 21, 2015, 10:27:23 AM
So, like I said before, I started playing FFX again. Now that I can, allI've been doing is playing blitzball. I've got a pretty strong team to, except fo one defenseman. It's kind of funny, aside from that one guy my lowest level player is like 15, and Jassu is level 9 or 10.

It always pissed me off that they made the first game virtually impossible to win. Really put me off of ever wanting to try again. Seemed like the rules never adhered to themselves.

Started playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 again. A lot more fun than I remember, finding it hard to put down (even though the semester is winding down and I need to stop procrastinating on assignments) and I think I'm doing quite a bit better than last time. I've unlocked a new species to join my party much earlier than last time, and I'm actually participating in auctions now and officially own an entire territory that can't be taken away from me. Feeling really good, I want to see if I can get through some of the previously impossibly difficult missions that stopped me proceeding last time.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

marblesoda

Dragon! Ball! Z! Xeno! Gears!

I have been wanting to see my own character in a DBZ setting like this since I was like NINE! I mean, yes, there's roleplays, but this is different! THEY'RE REALLY HERE! I GOT TO CREATE THEM! AAAA! *runs around in fangirling excitement, trips* I'M OKAY.
"Do you know what that really means? A knight in shining armor?" "A hero who saves the day." "No. A knight in shining armor never did nothing for nobody. He never fought. A knight in dented, scraped armor, now that's what you want."

Revelation

I've been replaying Xenoblade Chronicles on the 3DS. It's just as fun as I remember, if a little uglier. if you can get a copy of it, it's quite possibly my favorite JRPG from the last 6ish years.

Sel Nar

If oyu have not yet taken the time to play Far Cry 4, you really should. The characters are interesting, the mechanics are fun, riding an elephant never gets old, And there's a rather sizeable chunk of callback to the previous three games, be it by having conflict diamonds (from FC2) as a random enemy lootable, or meeting a former warlord from the region that game was set in; apparently, he survived the bullet to the brainpan.

Also, there's not much more fun than clearing out an entire enemy outpost with a bow and a handful of arrows, disabling the alarms, before sneaking up and sticking a block of C4 to the lone survivor's back, letting him freak out before giving him the video game mercy of being sent sky-high by a 2-kilo block of Boom.

Eranil Morathim

Quote from: Mathim on May 01, 2015, 10:30:59 PM
It always pissed me off that they made the first game virtually impossible to win. Really put me off of ever wanting to try again. Seemed like the rules never adhered to themselves.

I was actually able to win that match this time around for the first time ever. Just kept feeding the ball to Tidus and shooting. Surprisingly it worked.

So I should get the other Farcry games then? I only ever played 3 and didn't beat it. I had a lot of fun with it though. Currently geeking out on the Reaper of Souls edition of Diablo III. Got it Friday and I'm fighting the urge to go straight to act V with every bit of my willpower.

Inkidu

Quote from: Eranil Morathim on May 04, 2015, 04:13:38 PM
I was actually able to win that match this time around for the first time ever. Just kept feeding the ball to Tidus and shooting. Surprisingly it worked.

So I should get the other Farcry games then? I only ever played 3 and didn't beat it. I had a lot of fun with it though. Currently geeking out on the Reaper of Souls edition of Diablo III. Got it Friday and I'm fighting the urge to go straight to act V with every bit of my willpower.
You can't do it without getting the special shot Tidus can learn by banishing the memories. That thing is OP. Anything less than three blockers is useless against it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sel Nar

Get 4 and Blood Dragon, as both are superb. 1 and 2 are different beasts with some design choices that made the game harder, or simply more-frustrating to play. 1 is a more-linear actiony-style game that eventually gets sci-fi mutants added to the enemy list, plus a fight in a volcano, like all good B-movie baddies.

The best way to describe 2 is that it is, essentially a 'proto' open world; gallivanting around and searching for diamonds to beef up your weapons and similar is hilariously important, as you probably know, but the save system needed a kick in the posterior (can only save when fast-traveling, or at a safe-house, so if you spent 6 hours collecting diamonds, then fall off a clif and go splat, welcome to 'redo' town), some enemy spawns were gratuitously annoying with their frequency of trying to run you over with a truck, major plot points could be lost due to a glitch that would end up with you not being able to listen to 8 of the 18 hidden tapes that detail the motivation of the person you were hired to put a bullet into, and, when all's said and done, It's still fun as hell, despite the flaws.

The fact that you're essentially Kurtz from Heart of Darkness, in that you're doing what you do to screw everyone as hard as is humanly possible, is also a fun little twist on the premise.

Each of the four (and a half) games has its own seperation, so you don't have to play through each one in order to understand the next; all the 'callbacks' are subtle, mostly via enemy loot, and, in the above-mentioned Warlord's case, the only context he gives you is that he was baptized in a specific waterfall that you explore around in FC2.

Eranil Morathim

Alright, knowing I can play them out of order and not miss anything is cool. That was my main concern even when I was playing 3. I'll probably end up waiting to get 4 until it comes down more in price though.

Sasquatch421

If you like 80's films then you'll enjoy Blood Dragon... The voice of the main character also was Kyle Reese on the original Terminator and one of the guns is named after Alex Murphy from Robocop. If you have a 360 I recommend Far Cry Instincts Predator if you can find it.... Instincts is more like a game version of Island of Dr. Moreau feel to it. Still have no clue what to think of Farcry 2 since they totally went a different direction after Far Cry Evolution...

Sel Nar

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on May 05, 2015, 07:47:32 PM
If you like 80's films then you'll enjoy Blood Dragon... The voice of the main character also was Kyle Reese on the original Terminator and one of the guns is named after Alex Murphy from Robocop. If you have a 360 I recommend Far Cry Instincts Predator if you can find it.... Instincts is more like a game version of Island of Dr. Moreau feel to it. Still have no clue what to think of Farcry 2 since they totally went a different direction after Far Cry Evolution...

Blood Dragon actually has several references to Terminator, with the most notable being that the main character's VA is Michael Biehn, who's done Reese, Hicks, and practically every other 80's action hero ever. (The shotgun in Blood Dragon is the Galleria 1991, which is named after the shopping mall, and year of Release for Terminator 2)

Mathim

I bought a couple of games over the last few months I haven't played yet. Batman Arkham Asylum, Elder Scrolls Oblivion (with all the DLC) and Lollipop Chainsaw. Anyone think I'm in for a good time or maybe bit off more than I could chew?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

consortium11

Quote from: Eranil Morathim on May 04, 2015, 04:13:38 PMSo I should get the other Farcry games then? I only ever played 3 and didn't beat it. I had a lot of fun with it though.

If you've played 3 then you've basically played four... it's largely the same game using the same mechanics, the same approach and the same gameplay with the difference being in location and slightly updated graphics. The Himalayas are a more original place to set the game than a tropical island but once you get past that you'll find yourself basically doing the same things you did in 3.

As others have mentioned Blood Dragon is great fun if you're a fan of somewhat cheesy 80's and early 90's action movies with sci-fi elements. It's largely a love letter to them and dispenses with any idea of being serious or meaningful about 3 seconds in. If you like the gunplay of Far Cry 3 and the visual style/theme (or at least don't mind it) then it's a fun romp but you may find the joke wearing a little thin if you stick with it for too long.

The first two games are a bit of a harder sell. They're somewhat dated (both in graphics and gameplay) but if nothing else they're an interesting look at where the series has come from and show how ideas and themes within it have developed. You can certainly see the influence of Far Cry 1 in Blood Dragon, with it having a far more B-Movie/sci-fi action style plot and gameplay more focused around the linear action elements then the more open world exploring while Far Cry 2 goes the other way and tries to get more into gritty realism with both the plot (which is pretty dark) and the gameplay (having to deal with malaria is a real... and annoying... concern). You can see how 3 and 4 both took cues from the plot of 2 but decided against having their gameplay function the same way.

Quote from: Mathim on May 05, 2015, 11:10:10 PM
I bought a couple of games over the last few months I haven't played yet. Batman Arkham Asylum, Elder Scrolls Oblivion (with all the DLC) and Lollipop Chainsaw. Anyone think I'm in for a good time or maybe bit off more than I could chew?

Arkham Asylum's an excellent game with a fun combat system while Lollipop Chainsaw is a somewhat sloppy hack and slash but still fun for what it is (although depending on your taste the visuals and humour may not entirely catch you). Arkham Asylum probably takes around 12 hours to complete the main story while LC is a little shorter at around six/seven hours so you could probably finish both of them in a long, hard weekend with nothing else to do.

Oblivion's a tougher one to discuss because it's the sort of game you could put thousands of hours into (especially if you're on PC and play with mods) or just a few before you get tired of it. It suffers from the problem of almost all recent Bethesda games in that at first glance you've got a huge lake to swim in but, once you've spent a little while there you realise it's got the depth of a paddling pool. Combat is exceedingly repetitive, you'll find yourself visiting almost identical caves, dungeons and Oblivion Gates over and over again and the plot is nothing to write home about. That said there certainly is something enjoyable about simply trekking around a generic fantasy world doing stuff; people who are critical of it frequently pejoratively call it a "hiking simulator" but for me those are the best aspects.

Mathim

All right, I'll go into them with an open mind and give them a fair shot. If Oblivion is anything like Fallout 3/New Vegas, I'll be sitting pretty.