The Hellmouth Rogues - A BtVS Spinoff (F/F) - Interest/Recruitment - OPEN AGAIN

Started by Alias, January 31, 2017, 02:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

Quote from: Alias on February 19, 2017, 12:21:35 PM
This game isn't first come first serve, and even if it were. I still need 1 more slayer.

I thought I counted five. Maybe I miscounted. I will see what I can work up. Still not 100% recovered here at my house. Stupid flu.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Alias

Quote from: Jagerin on February 19, 2017, 12:25:17 PM
I thought I counted five. Maybe I miscounted. I will see what I can work up. Still not 100% recovered here at my house. Stupid flu.

that's ok. You probably did count five. Alice and Maddy are two example characters, both are mine, and only one will be in the actual game. Feel free to take your time, family is important.

Jag

Full Name: Karima "Karma" El-Hashem
Nationality: Middle Eastern
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Caramel Brown
Height: 5'5''
Weight: 145lbs
Face Claim: Mahafsoun
Physical Features:

Has ten non-facial piercings (not gonna tell you where though).

General Appearance: Everyday clothing tends to be very stylized. She likes leather and lacy corsets, spiky heels, stockings (rather than tights), silks, and lots of makeup. She's happy to be dolled up, but it tends to be in blacks, reds, browns, and greens. Nothing bright. Very few get to see her dressed down. Having been a belly dancer in her late teens - early twenties, she is very comfortable with her body. She doesn't mind various states of undress (for her or anyone else). Though, lately, she has taken to more days of jeans or t-shirts for ease of wear.

Personality: Karma is a ball of unrestrained energy. She wakes early and beds late. She isn't a morning person or a night person, she's an all day person. As a child, her parents regretted the day she learned to talk, because she never stopped. She woke up with something to say and even talked in her sleep sometimes.

Karma is completely unashamed of herself. She's flirty and unabashed by her desires. Friends have called her boarderline hedonistic, but she manages to calm down in times of importance.

When focused and calm, she is very single minded. These bouts of single-mindedness may not last long, but while they do, she is generally quiet and very detail oriented.

Character Flaws/Weaknesses:

Vanity: Karma does tend to focus on her appearances. While she doesn't care about what other people look like, she does have excessive pride in her own appearance. In extreme cases, she will become flustered or outright angry if people make comments about her appearance that are less than compliments.

Lack of Personal Space: Karma doesn't understand the idea of a personal bubble. She's hands-on and doesn't always get that people aren't okay with being hugged or kissed or touched in some way.

Trust: Karma is very trusting. She hasn't learned how to be wary of other people who might be less than human (despite their appearances).

Loud Voice: Karma tends to go into a small shock if a certain tone of voice is used.

History: Till she was thirteen, Karma was raised in a fairly traditional home. It was less Middle Eastern traditional, where her father's family came from, and more 1950s American traditional. She was taught how to cook and clean from her mother, like a proper woman should for when she marries. She was taught how to sew and how to always have supper ready for when the man of the house came home. Karma knew her father had a mean streak inside of him. He showed it when her mother was less than 'right'. He never hit, but he had a way of raising his voice and she always knew to stay in her bedroom if she heard that tone. It was a "I'm not mad at you, I'm just disappointed" tone.

When she was thirteen, she started a habit of changing clothes when she got to school. Keeping a box of clothes her family would consider inappropriate under her bed and sneaking it to school in her backpack. She would start putting on black and red lipstick, wear shoes with heels, wear skirts shorter than her knees, and putting on god awful amounts of blue eye shadow. Her friends convinced her into dance classes, along with helping her learn how to do make up more properly.

She brought home her first girlfriend at 16 and her father threatened to throw her out. Rather than waiting to be thrown out, she ran away with the other girl. The relationship was short lived, with the other girl leaving her to go back home. Karma refused to go home though. She was happy to be on her own. Fake IDs and finding simple work at diners kept her going till she turned eighteen and she started dancing (as a stripper and a belly dancer). She never made it to any kind of professional stage or anything high paying, but she was happy. Her mother found her and tried to convince her to come home till she found out what kind of work her daughter had been doing. She called her a whore and told her she should be ashamed of herself, but Karma couldn't find it in her to be ashamed. She was happy with herself and her choices.

Till her powers came.

Her slayer powers activated and things felt different. At first she only noticed the change to her stamina. She could dance longer without getting tired. She could work out more without feeling strained or drained. It was nice at first.

Then the vampires came. A nest of them had taken up in town. She was late getting to work that evening and the moment she touched the club door handle, she knew something was wrong. The nest had drained the club dry. All of the girls she worked with, several customers, and the security were all dead. A few of them tried to grab her as she fled, but she managed to take one of them down before getting away. When she got home, she found herself greeted by a man who claimed to be her 'watcher'.

It didn't take much to convince her of everything. Karma had always been an open minded person. But after six months of draining training and having regiments pounded into her head by the over attentive man, she did as she always had in the past. She ran away. This time, though, she was better prepared.

Equipment:

Khopesh is an Egyptian sickle-sword that evolved from battle axes. A typical khopesh is 50–60 cm (20–24 inches) in length, though smaller examples do also exist. The blunted edge of the weapon's tip also served as an effective bludgeon, as well as a hook.

Cumber-Jung is a double ended flail. Composed by a straight wooden stick of about 45 cm, with 30 cm chains on each end. Queste balls at the end of each chain are made of iron, with a blade wrapped around the ball.

Other: Karma is a good cook and clothing mender thanks to the teachings her mother gave her as a child. Her makeup skills come in handy for covering up battle bruises and marks.

Alias

Another good sheet.

For anyone new to the thread here, I'm still accepting characters. One of the sheets in the room here has been retracted. So I could still use some fresh blood.

VonDoom

Oh, Alias, any thoughts as to the comment on the Slayer Emergency Kit in my app? It could be something entirely different, too, but her having stolen something plot devicey when she left would make for a convenient plot hook, since as a Watcher trainee from a respectable line, she'd probably know where some fancy stuff was stashed away.  O:)
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Alias

Quote from: VonDoom on February 20, 2017, 10:05:35 AM
Oh, Alias, any thoughts as to the comment on the Slayer Emergency Kit in my app? It could be something entirely different, too, but her having stolen something plot devicey when she left would make for a convenient plot hook, since as a Watcher trainee from a respectable line, she'd probably know where some fancy stuff was stashed away.  O:)

Sure. I don't see why not. Although that device was mostly drained during season seven on The show. Maybe it's full of new gear? We'll work on what's inside of it eventually. ;)

VonDoom

O&O

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Alias

GM ANNOUNCEMENT

On March 5th, I will call an end to recruitment. New sheets recieved in that time can still be edited. But no new sheets can be submitted after that. In the event of people dropping out, this time will be extended, of course. Roll call! Are you still interested if you've applied? New players are allowed to submit characters. Already submitted characters have time to be finalized. That's right? need more?

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is enjoying the tea and the coffee.

*refreshes all the supplies including more notebooks and more pens.* - *Puts down a freshly baked Strawberry-rhubarb pie* -

So! It's been a little while since much has happened, but I'm not discouraged. There has been a bit of a delay, but the only reason is because I want to make sure that interested people have time to apply.

I'm doing a roll call for new players and ones that have already applied. I plan on starting to move things forward with the game in a week. So next sunday, the fifth of March, I'll be be cutting off new applications, and I'll start making decisions about who will be in the game. After that, we'll get rolling into real character connections, and figure out the scaffolding of the game (setting, who the de facto leader is, evil or good, etc.)

I hope everyone is being patient. "I was being patient. But it took too long." -Anya Jenkins. It's not necessarily a virtue I have, but it's been a part of this process for sure. I still want to provide some time for new sheets. I've recieved a lot of pms and messages from interested players, and I don't want to count them out for any reason.

But I also think it's unfair to make the people who have already submitted a character to wait so long. So I do have to put a deadline in on the character sheet entries. This counts towards new players and players that want to sharpen up their sheet to increase the odds of entry. Everything can always be improved. As the GM I do have a specific rulebook to follow while reviewing applications. And even my slayers don't fit the bill as the perfect character. If you'd like to work with me at all on the character to keep yourself interested in the project. I'd be happy to do so!

If you would like improve your submitted character, pme me.
If you would like to submit a new character pm me or post it here.

I don't want to clutter this board up with repeated character sheets. But I'd LOVE to see some new ones. :)

I know it's sort of rude to make this kind of entry, but I think it's really important. I've turned down good writers that were also good people just because the fit wasn't quite right. And don't forget! I'm so against exclusion. If I get tons of sheets, I'm doing multiple versions of this. And I have at least 3 other slayers in my mind that could come out upon request. So, if I had time for them, I could probably do five versions of this game. Which would make for 20 Original PCs from other people. Keep em coming guys! :)

And lastly, I completely understand if you've lost interest, this game has taken a while to get going, but I feel like it'll be worth it.

Loves to all!!!
See you soonly

VonDoom

While we're at it, here's the updated version of my character writeup for everyone to enjoy!

Full Name: Adelaide Bernice Chandler, called Niss.
Nationality: UK
Hair Colour: Brunette
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Height: 1.70 m
Weight:  68 kg
Face Claim: Юли Ана
Physical Features: A thin scar running down from her left armpit to her hip, muscular built comparable to
a professional athlete
usually hidden by choice of wardrobe

General Appearance: 

Niss is an attractive woman who is clearly feminine, yet eschews more flattering garments in favor of gender-neutral formal wear. Her brunette hair tied together into a low-knot bun, practical and elegant, to keep it from spilling just past her shoulders at its current length. She is a classic brunette with dark brown eyes and dark but elegant brows, a straight nose and full lips beneath, all framed in the context of angular cheekbones, a softly pointed chin and fair skin with a smooth healthy look to it.

For how much she professes to dislike the Watchers and their Council,  Niss certainly still dresses like one of them. When afforded the luxury, she wears custom tailored mohair suits: measured to hide her muscular build, maintain maximum flexibility, comfort and add a flair of decorum whilst also providing addition protection. They usually consist of a white silk dress shirt, a black jacket color-matched by her pair of pants and a tie to complete the image. Her favorite tie holds a shiny brown-red gem just above her collar-bone, but there is no particular meaning attached to it.

Her shoes, too, have been chosen to match style with practicality - her entire selection consists of Jodhpur boots with added steel-toe protection. And a reinforced hollow heel which hides a pocket knife and lockpicks. Of course, one must not forget the hidden compartments in her jacket, the shoulder straps and leg straps that hold anything from thin holy water flasks to knives to her beloved dagger cross. The only thing she can't comfortably add to her hidden ensemble are larger weapons such as her spatha sword or crossbow. When she carries those, she wears shoulder straps.

Though her set of suits are rather sturdy and suitable for nature trekking, sometimes different clothes are called for - she owns a stolen set of tactical gear that is reserved for full on one-woman-against-a-hundred type battles as well as a variety of different uniforms (even her old riding outfit and crop) and outfits from formal dresses to urban wear. None of these are habitual and she only pulls them out when absolutely necessary - to blend in or infiltrate.

Personality:

A current of energy held under the tight leash of class and professional elegance. Niss has little patience for bullshit or foolishness and isn't afraid to call others out on it -- but always with class.

Sure, she went a little crazy after she became a Slayer, was betrayed by everyone she looked up to and strived to be like, enough to burn her old bridges and renounce her own name, but her sensibilities haven't changed because of it. She didn't get a punk haircut or start wearing lots of leather. If she lets all that change who she is, what she believes in -- well, then they'd have won, wouldn't they? She decided to be better than them, to unify what a Watcher is and what a Slayer is all in one. In a world where you can have more than one Slayer, should their knowledge and training not be passed down from Slayer to Slayer, without the need for organizations corrupted by power and time?

She believes this, but isn't quite certain whether she wants the responsibility. That's okay, though -- she still has time to figure that out. To grow spiritually, to fight evil and follow both instinct and intellect.

As a direct result of her falling out with the Watcher's Council, she has a strong aversion against shadowy organizations and those who want to control others under the veneer of guidance.

She has no real problem with rudeness or foul language anymore, but doesn't indulge herself. This tends to infuriate people who direct the former towards her, which she considers a bonus.

When it comes to fighting she is surprisingly practical and aggressive -- anyone expecting a fancy fencing technique from her will be surprised. She always deals with opponents in the most efficient (and usually permanent) way, practicing a ruthless combination of Krav maga, Escrima and  a few others to form her own style - she eschews many of the common techniques suited only to disabling humans such as nerve strikes in favor of moves that rely on physical principles as well as her extensive knowledge of demonic anatomy to target their weaknesses.

When it comes to her sexuality and gender, she has a few hang-ups left over from her youth and some produced by the betrayal of her father. She views herself as a woman, but doesn't have much use for traditional gender roles and considers it a mere physical fact of life -- Slayer first, anything else second. She did have an interest in boys growing up, but her bisexual inclinations have since firmly moved into lesbian territory -- or rather, Slayer territory.  Having built up the image of 'The Slayer' inside her mind for most of her training, about what an ideal and ferocious force of good the Slayer should rightfully be, now that she has become one herself, ordinary women just don't have the same spark. Slayers, coming together, fighting together, the rush and power and sexuality -- that's what gets her going. She tends to come on strong and demanding -- another point that's in favor of Slayers, since they don't tend to scare as easily.

What really gets under her skin and makes her lose her composure? Her father. The Watcher's Council. Fellow former Watcher trainees. Demons and vampires are her enemies and their machinations are of course often terrible and deeply vengeful, but that's their nature -- the Watchers and her father were of her kind, her family. With them it's personal and she can get a little unhinged and excessive when forced to deal with them.

Character Flaws/Weaknesses:

Arrogance and Derision - Having trained from an early age and built up her physique and knowledge to fight monsters as an ordinary person, granted the advantages of a Slayer, Niss is very confident in her abilities to handle any situation and can be dismissive towards those who don't take their training seriously. She would have loathed early Buffy Summers and chided Giles as dangerously indulgent. With their group, she'd be trying to keep it down, but it's deeply ingrained and will come through at times.

Watcher Training - As much as it is a boon, her Watcher training is also steeped in Watcher methods and prejudice. Unlike the Council's secret enforces, she has no modern weapon training to speak of and holds a good amount of disdain for them. It also doesn't really occur to her that some demons or demon species might be harmless or beneficial.

Busy Bee - Niss doesn't enjoy wasting time and needs to keep busy. The need to be productive and perform has been instilled from an early age -- she realized by now why she has this nigh-compulsion, but doesn't usually consider it a problem. It's difficult to get her to relax and just as difficult  to make her understand that she needs to.

Sexual Hangups - Niss is strongly attracted to fellow Slayers and women of power, but has doubts about her sexuality she tries to conceal. Whether it's just some sort of mystical attraction caused by their connected essence. Whether she would have liked girls if that wasn't there. Whether she's just projecting the betrayal of her father onto other men.

Shame! Shame! - Being raised in an old-fashioned household, lesbian relationships carry a 'sinful' connation to Niss that she hasn't gotten over fully yet. As a result she throws herself as hard into her relationships as she can, to prove to herself that she isn't beholden to the 'old ways'.

Body Image - She is confident and physical for the most part, but resents having her body seen by ordinary humans. Too many negative reactions when she was a teenager, by boys and girls, have left her  with an innate vulnerability about it. Women who register as 'fellow warriors' with her don't trigger these usually, but the wrong words or actions at the wrong time might.

History:

Lady Adelaide Chandler was born the only daughter of the Chandler family. British nobility and old money, the Chandlers were a pillar of upper-class society and at times even had members elected as Lords Temporal in the House of Lords. They were also part of the Watcher legacy. Her father and current head of the household, Lord Graham Chandler, raised his only daughter alone after the early passing of his wife, one Bernice Chandler. Lacking any other heirs, he trained her to succeed him as a Watcher, providing full tutelage on the supernatural, the true history of the world (as believed by the Watcher Organization) and other mystic lore, enhanced martial arts training, tactical knowledge and just about everything else that a Watcher needs to know in order to train a Slayer from a very early age.

After all, if a Chandler doesn't excel at her duties, what good is she? Luckily for him, Adelaide was a quick study and apt pupil. Less fortunate, however, was that at some point into her training he discovered that she was a Slayer Potential. Good thing that the actual likelihood of being Chosen was fairly small -- and that the current Slayer, one Buffy Summers, seemed to have quite a bit of staying power. So her father hid that little detail and kept on with her training.

At the age of seventeen, Adelaide was well on her way to Watcher status. Some claimed her to be a prodigy, though she always attributed it to her diligent training and dutiful father. Of course, when everything is going a little too well, sooner or later the Fates demand their due -- the balance was upset, a magical ritual broke the old ways and Potentials all over the world started to awaken as fully realized Slayers. So did Adelaide. Not knowing her own strength for the first time in her life, she hospitalized a training partner when a kick sent him crashing multiple feet back and into a wall -- her awakening had been irrevocably revealed.

She trusted in her father to help her through this, but for the first time was betrayed and had to come to terms with some harsh realizations about herself and her place in the world. Graham thought status and tradition more important than his daughter -- when she learned that he had known about her potential and hidden it, not to protect her but himself and their family line, she was crushed at first -- and then angry.

The actions that came from her anger back then pretty much ruined any chances of reconciliation with the Watcher's Council -- beating agents meant to bring her in to an inch of their lives, breaking into safehouses and stealing equipment and resources, even burning one of their libraries to the ground when she was cornered there. This was also the cathartic point in which she denied her inheritance and abandoned her old identity as 'Lady Adelaide Chandler'. From now on, she would simply call herself Niss, from her second name Bernice.

Eventually she fled the country, going on a spiritual journey -- seeking out evils that were well past due for their destruction, spiritual sites and places within which one might commune with benign higher beings, such as the Powers That Be.

Equipment:

Niss carries and is highly skilled with the traditional repertoire of Slayer weapons, which includes the simplistic selection of stakes, crosses and holy water, but also with all manner of melee weapons and crossbows.

When she expects trouble, she carries a crossbow and an unnamed spatha sword inscribed with a combination of holy scriptures and mystic runes that make it an effective tool to harm demons immune to mundane weaponry.

Her constant companion is a cross-shaped steel dagger, which provides her with a quick way to ward off vampires and handle other attackers.

A set of custom-tailored suits

Various outfits for infiltration purposes, including military tactical.

A stolen Slayer Handbook.

A giant wooden trunk with a heavy padlock, a combination lock and an electronic lock for the actual steel safe inside that has all her stuff. It can be moved by two grown men only with great difficulty -- a Slayer can manage, but it's still unwieldly and better transported by mechanical means.

A car. Usually rented under false ID.

False IDs. Various types, from driving licenses to investigative agencies to law enforcement to press passes. She makes them herself (it does require the right materials, ideally a real one to modify) and will have provided similar to fellow Slayers who don't already have their own. These do not hold up to digital cross-references.

[A Mysterious Plot Thing]

Other:

No Uatu puns anymore, sorry.

O&O

Alias

Keep em coming everyone! We still have five days of open applications. Final drafts have no due date, so don't worry about it being a perfectly polished sheet. I'd love to see some more ideas!

Jag

As much as I would love a Buffyverse game (I really, really would)...I feel like I should step aside now before it starts. I'm not in the best of places right now. I thought I could handle it, but as the days tick on...I realize that I can't. I'm very tired and I just know I won't be able to even put out a post a week in the state I'm in.

Alias

Quote from: Jagerin on March 01, 2017, 05:23:30 PM
As much as I would love a Buffyverse game (I really, really would)...I feel like I should step aside now before it starts. I'm not in the best of places right now. I thought I could handle it, but as the days tick on...I realize that I can't. I'm very tired and I just know I won't be able to even put out a post a week in the state I'm in.

that's ok. I think it was brave of you to say this. Take care of yourself, it's important.

VonDoom

Sad to see you go, but health concerns are always first priority. I hope things will get better for you.

O&O

Alias

GM Note: Thread rework underwaycompleted to reflect status. Keep em coming guys, deadline is gone. No pressure now, I'm gonna let this game breath a while, and allow some time for new applications to come in. I see no reason to force it to start before it's ready. I might just keep making slayers for fun and stockpiling them somewhere.

Edit: large spoiler in original post has been reduced to relevant information

WhatLiesAbove

Alias

Quote from: WhatLiesAbove on March 02, 2017, 10:21:02 PM
How many character are we allowed?

I would like to restrict it to just one for now. I'd like the game to have each character acting independently. But you can make another Slayer if you want. It couldn't hurt at this point. lol. If the interest keeps lingering down here, I'd rather have one or two players with two characters than no game at all.

VonDoom

Well, my love of Buffy hasn't waned in ... however many years it's been since it was first released on German TV (before I graduated to the originals), so you can count my application as pretty much open ended, however much delay there might be.

Maybe it'd help to spell Buffy out in the topic? There have to be many more fans out there ... though a fan would recognize the Hellmouth reference, probably, even if the abbreviation doesn't immediately register ...

O&O

Alias

Quote from: VonDoom on March 06, 2017, 04:46:17 AM
Well, my love of Buffy hasn't waned in ... however many years it's been since it was first released on German TV (before I graduated to the originals), so you can count my application as pretty much open ended, however much delay there might be.

Maybe it'd help to spell Buffy out in the topic? There have to be many more fans out there ... though a fan would recognize the Hellmouth reference, probably, even if the abbreviation doesn't immediately register ...

I love your enthusiasm. I'm keeping things open for now, and I have a plan or two in the works for gathering interest that might involve some shameless pming to some of my old partners. I'm glad you're sticking around. This will clearly be one of those games that will take a while to get going. But I think it will be amazing when we get to the place we want it to be.

Thanks again for being so friendly and sticking around with me in my little obsession.

Callie Del Noire

Alias

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 06, 2017, 07:28:22 PM
Wish I'd seen this before.. :D

Be glad you found it now too! We're still in a holding pattern and waiting for applications

Callie Del Noire

I had an old BTVS character.. one of Maggie Walsh's earlier experiments.. trying to build her very own Slayer.. sorta like a 80s era frankenstein but 'buffy cute'.

Working on stuff right now but I'll try to think up something.

Alias

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 06, 2017, 08:13:55 PM
I had an old BTVS character.. one of Maggie Walsh's earlier experiments.. trying to build her very own Slayer.. sorta like a 80s era frankenstein but 'buffy cute'.

Working on stuff right now but I'll try to think up something.

I would urge you away from a frankenslayer. :p
Sort of messes with the theme a bit. Excited to see what you come up with. I'm happy to help if you need anything.

yaracyrrah

I would like to play and I'm working on a character.  Would it be okay if she were only very recently activated?  (The crisis that activates her could be the reason why so many other Slayers happen to be in the same place at the same time, if that would be convenient.)